What's new

A Chinese opportunity that India Tourism misses

Both country's tourism ministry should try harder. Not many Indians know china as a travel destination (compared to hongkong or malayasia)

Singapore beats both HK and Malaysia, hands down .... only thing where Thailand, Sri Lanka and Malaysia beat Singapore is on costs. (That said, I belive Singapore turns out to be a much better experience especially because Indian food, incl vegetarian Indian food, it easy to find).

And, well none of my friends considered "HK" as a leisure tourism point (e.g. honeymoons). It's too crowded for honeymoons, I heard. Going to HK is "company sponsored" :laugh:, for employment. And China (so far, atleast) is for small time "traders" (remember "Yiwu").

Singapore is good for everything, for employment, for business, for leisure...and off course, honeymoons. :tup:

Also, 80% of Singaporeans speak English and all signboards are in English. Even in HongKong (leave alone China), language is quite a problem - only 33% can speak English. If you stay for over 5 years, you'll come back having learnt Cantonese. Some banks wanted "cantonese" knowledge for front office IB role !!!! - my friend chose Singapore role, instead.

China is great so long as you can stomach their food. You are in for a huge shock if you go there expecting the same food you had in your local "Chinese restaurant" in India. :D

Especially rural China.

China is great so long as you can stomach their food. You are in for a huge shock if you go there expecting the same food you had in your local "Chinese restaurant" in India. :D

Especially rural China.

What we eat is called "Indian Chinese" ... or let us say in style: Chinese with Indian characteristics. :laugh:

And oh yeah, "Chinese Chinese" is really different from "Indian Chinese".

But in Singapore, they (I mean Indian food joints) do serve Indian Chinese, and quite cheap - set meal at S$5.50.

Though, a "honeymoon couple" could spend S$30-50 in a proper restaurant for a single meal.
At Marina Bay Sands, closer to S$100 per meal at the Punjab Grill (a restaurant).

And if a honeymoon couple wants to include shopping in Singapore, apart from site seeing ..well, they better be quite well off.

Singapore beats both HK and Malaysia, hands down .... only thing where Thailand, Sri Lanka and Malaysia beat Singapore is on costs. (That said, I belive Singapore turns out to be a much better experience especially because Indian food, incl vegetarian Indian food, it easy to find).

And, well none of my friends considered "HK" as a leisure tourism point (e.g. honeymoons). It's too crowded for honeymoons, I heard. Going to HK is "company sponsored" :laugh:, for employment. And China (so far, atleast) is for small time "traders" (remember "Yiwu").

Singapore is good for everything, for employment, for business, for leisure...and off course, honeymoons. :tup:

Also, 80% of Singaporeans speak English and all signboards are in English. Even in HongKong (leave alone China), language is quite a problem - only 33% can speak English. If you stay for over 5 years, you'll come back having learnt Cantonese. Some banks wanted "cantonese" knowledge for front office IB role !!!! - my friend chose Singapore role, instead.

Partly correct singapore is good for employment and business, but this thread is about hollyday, for me i rank singapore bottom of the list of thoses countries you mentioned for a simple reason you could literally see the whole of singapore in just one day, to many east asians they go to countries like singapore and hk for a weekend get away trip to do some shopping only

Partly correct singapore is good for employment and business, but this thread is about hollyday, for me i rank singapore bottom of the list of thoses countries you mentioned for a simple reason you could literally see the whole of singapore in just one day, to many east asians they go to countries like singapore and hk for a weekend get away trip to do some shopping only

I can easily count so many of my friends / relatives who came to Singapore for honeymoon or atleast considered it among the choices (though, finally settled for Thailand or Goa ... yeah, Singapore would not give a "beach experience", I admit.)

Never heard of HK to be even among the choices ... it's too crowded and polluted. Just like, Indians don't consider Mumbai for honeymoons .. it's Goa or Kerala or Lakshadweep.

Singapore isn't HongKong.. it is definitely in the list for leisure travel.

Just for info .. anyone here went to HK for a honeymoon?
(just so, because I don't know anyone in my circle)

Historically chinese people were first tourists in India for Buddhism and other reasons.

So we should expect more chinese footfalls in India.

Sure.. but again, will they like "Indian Chinese" which is easily available in India (atleast in big cities). :laugh:

It can be quite spicy for them...

when I went to sydney, I could not eat chinese chinese and was missing Indian chinese.

So probably, they will not like spicy Indian chinese noodles and rice.

when I went to sydney, I could not eat chinese chinese and was missing Indian chinese.

So probably, they will not like spicy Indian chinese noodles and rice.

Btw.. just to let you know, I just coined the term "chinese chinese" myself (just to contrast it from "Indian chinese").

There is "Indian chinese" meal in Singapore .... but no meal by the name "chinese chinese". ;)

Funny though, in France people would mostly ignore you when you speak English and there are hardly any English signs outside the airport and yet France is at the top of the list.

Oh well, you are such a frog in the well.

Götterdämmerung;3648691 said:
Funny though, in France people would mostly ignore you when you speak English and there are hardly any English signs outside the airport and yet France is at the top of the list.

Oh well, you are such a frog in the well.

If Singapore is a well.. then Shanghai is a coal mine.

Hope you are having a sweet time enjoying in a coal mine.

If Singapore is a well.. then Shanghai is a coal mine.

Hope you are having a sweet time enjoying in a coal mine.

I wonder why your PM once said that in five years Mumbai will surpass Shanghai. Does it mean that Mumbai, India's showpiece metropolis, is even worse than the coal mine Shanghai? And as we all witness (compare airport passenger stats MB vs. SH), the whole world is flocking to Shanghai and Mumbai still hasn't surpassed Shanghai yet and won't do that in the next decade.

Don't worry, mate, I have a very sweet time here in Shanghai – great city, great food, great shopping, great night live, and full of energy.

And you still couldn't tell me why France is ahead of everybody, although they barely speak English, they actually dislike speaking English.

Asia is nothing compared to Canada. Vancouver beats any dirty city in Asia on its worst days. Come here in the summer and see what the Garden of Eden really looks like.

Asia is nothing compared to Canada. Vancouver beats any dirty city in Asia on its worst days. Come here in the summer and see what the Garden of Eden really looks like.

Come to singapore and see what a clean city really look like frog in the well

Come to singapore and see what a clean city really look like frog in the well

Pig in a pen if Singapore was as great as you boast then it would be rated as the top city in the world. Alas, it is not. Vancouver is the best city in the world. It's universally, objectively acknowledged. But a pig in a pen cannot understand the world that lies before him.

Back
Top Bottom