What's new

A Chinese opportunity that India Tourism misses

sure! and thats the most natural thing to do.

hmmm, it varies! when you go to a wedding banquet where on the menu there is "shark-fin" soup, it is usually served around the middle of the courses. There is not a rule of thumb. But Chinese soup is usually served after the starters!

That explains it. There's this Chinese restaurant in Kolkata that I went to, it's run by Chinese migrants ever since India got independence. They told me that, so I was just curious whether it applied to all Chinese cuisine or just that particular restaurant. Thanks for clearing it up.

^^^ sharks-fin soup is not cooked properly can cause death.

anything that is not cooked properly can cause death!

That explains it. There's this Chinese restaurant in Kolkata that I went to, it's run by Chinese migrants ever since India got independence. They told me that, so I was just curious whether it applied to all Chinese cuisine or just that particular restaurant. Thanks for clearing it up.

You may dictate the order of dishes being serve I think if you are ordering a la carte.

Interesting. But unless your are invited you will not have that experience of observing the ceremonies and the culture in person

I know it is religious and cultural but just for curiosity reasons I have these questions ( you may refuse to answer by all means): do you guys feel hot with your heads donned with turban? How can you cope with it? And the questions apply to Sikhs as well!
No problem , you can ask any question. Yeah it is not comfortable to wear those turbans. Especially in warm climate. But people become habitual to it that they actually find it comfortable to wear.

Sikhs don't feel any issues wearing a turban. At least I haven't seen any Sikh complaining about it. May be its due to the fact that they wear it since childhood. A Sikh may better answer this question. As a Rajasthani, people generally tie cloth on their head even in summers. Its comfortable for them as it keeps head temperature low, most of village people wear white cloth. Sweat along the contact surface can be little uncomfortable.

Interesting. But unless your are invited you will not have that experience of observing the ceremonies and the culture in person

I know it is religious and cultural but just for curiosity reasons I have these questions ( you may refuse to answer by all means): do you guys feel hot with your heads donned with turban? How can you cope with it? And the questions apply to Sikhs as well!

The turban can actually be cooling and a shield against sunstroke. The British used pith helmets instead, though some took to turbans if they were in uniform. Nowadays, unlike a century ago, only Sikhs wear turbans every day, and the rest of us - some of the rest of us - wear them on formal occasions, such as marriages. For instance, the Punjabis (Hindus and Muslims), the Rajasthanis, especially the Rajputs, the Gujaratis, the Mysoreans (the people of Karnataka), the Tamilians; maybe I have left out one or two, which others can supply. Parsis have their own headgear for formal occasions.

Managing hygiene with a daily wear turban is very demanding. The head tends to sweat, and accumulated sweat can be a problem. This demands washing the head every evening, which is almost impossible for those with long hair (ask the ladies). Long haired men wearing daily turbans tend to wash their hair every two to three days, and even such intervals can be a problem in our hot weather. You will find Sikhs spending hours on their grooming; they have no choice but to keep themselves scrupulously clean.

^^^ Sikhs dont cut their hair... Its forbidden in Sikhism

hmmm, it varies! when you go to a wedding banquet where on the menu there is "shark-fin" soup, it is usually served around the middle of the courses. There is not a rule of thumb. But Chinese soup is usually served after the starters and before the finale!

I used to eat a lot of shark's fin soup, but then I stopped.

Because I saw a documentary on how the sharks were killed in Africa before they were sent to China. The Africans who catch the sharks just cut off their fin and throw them back, it was horrible. They don't kill them quickly, they let them die slowly.

So now I prefer to go for Bird's nest soup instead. It has a similar function to shark's fin soup, in that it has a nice texture and easily absorbs any flavour around it. Unfortunately it is also very expensive.

True! However curry can be somewhat comparable to soup. Therefore it varies throughout regions, depending on what vegetables, fruits and spices are grown in that area. But there are many other varieties of dishes served along with curry.

An off topic question. In an authentic Chinese restaurant, is it true that soup is served after the main courses? I heard that it is because it helps digest the food better.

The general idea is to cleanse the palate. Chinese food is most enjoyable when its subtleties are allowed to come out. So a little soup between courses is an excellent idea.

^^^ sharks-fin soup is not cooked properly can cause death.

Quite right. Very few sharks survive.

??

Chinese migrants? Most restaurants in Calcutta are run by Indians of Chinese origin.

The best Chinese food has now shifted from Chinatown out into Tangra, which has dozens. Everyone has a favourite. But there are others as well, and very good ones. One down the road from my place has outstanding cuisine and Tsingtao beer, and is always crowded.

How about caste tourism in India. Experience the life of the four major caste for a day in India. This would be a very educational tour.

Any presentation about India without involving its caste system is not the true India..

Sorry there is no caste tourism in India (though it might be in your head). I was thinking on similar degrading lines on which China should carry out toursim, but I will not fall to your level.
Caste system has been discussed thousand times in pdf. Caste system is past in all the cities and modern rural areas, and only influencing lives in interior areas. It comes to play only in reservation for admission in colleges and getting jobs, otherwise it is a defunct system.

Curry smells really weird I hate the Indian FOBs who walk around looking like a monkey and smelling like fart curry

What do Pakistanis eat in their homes especially in Punjab and sindh.... (if not curries and biryanis, what they eat to not have smell of masalas/spices)

I used to eat a lot of shark's fin soup, but then I stopped.

Because I saw a documentary on how the sharks were killed in Africa before they were sent to China. The Africans who catch the sharks just cut off their fin and throw them back, it was horrible. They don't kill them quickly, they let them die slowly.

So now I prefer to go for Bird's nest soup instead. It has a similar function to shark's fin soup, in that it has a nice texture and easily absorbs any flavour around it. Unfortunately it is also very expensive.

I can never eat Bird nest soup as long as i know they are saliva........(I have no problem kissing a woman tho)

I can also never eat Indian Crusine as i have a sensitive stomach.

Been to many place in this world, the best place i have ever been is strangely Afghanistan, when you fly in a blackhawk looking down a few hundred ft up, you see the Sun shining down the mountain and have the tiny bit of glaze coming up your eyes. Those feeling you can never forget, of course the next minute we got shot to shxt which is another picture you will never ever forget.

The Afghani are very hospitable, they will invite stranger into their village and have the best feast of their life. It's said people who cannot throw a good feast is a shame to thieir tribe and family. I would want to go back if the place is not so dangerous

China is vast to explore, you simply cannot make it in one trip. With the current visa situation, there are no way you can experience all of China in just 1 month, you need 3 month, 6 month or 1 year to visit all the place there were

China is my 2nd favourite place.

My third place is Sweden, if you never see 22 hours sunlight a day (Or 22 hours night a day), you need to be there once. Southern Sweden is the same as very city, but Northern Sweden and Finland is more like a tiny village that people not yet polluted, it give you the feeling you are back at year 1400 for good reason/

??

Chinese migrants? Most restaurants in Calcutta are run by Indians of Chinese origin.

The best Chinese food has now shifted from Chinatown out into Tangra, which has dozens. Everyone has a favourite. But there are others as well, and very good ones. One down the road from my place has outstanding cuisine and Tsingtao beer, and is always crowded.

Oops, what I meant is that the Chinese couple have been managing the restaurant before partition. I think their children now take care of it. I forgot the name of the restaurant, it's a little hole in the wall but beats the hell out of Panda Express when I was living in the US. I think the restaurant was called Golden Dragon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom