What's new

7 Unbelievable Military Weapons Most People Have Never Heard Of

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
1. The Bat Bomb
Developed by the U.S. for use against Japan during World War II, the bat bomb was literally that. Each bomb would contain 40 hibernating bats, each of which would be strapped with a small napalm bomb and a timer.

The bombs could deploy their own parachutes, giving the bats time to fly out and look for places to roost. They would then explode, potentially burning down whatever structure they had chosen as their new home.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-811ee6a4aec57dd276ca0f24c5a8288e

2. Anti-Tank Dogs
The Nazi betrayal of the Soviets during World War II caught the Russians completely off guard. In a desperate attempt at staving off the Nazi advance into their territory, the Soviets strapped dogs with explosives and trained them to run under German tanks.

Soviet propoganda claims that around 300 German tanks were destroyed in this manner. The anti-tank dog program continued until 1996.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-b3a117791c07cf1aed73146cfa1ec22a

3. Submarine Aircraft Carriers

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-50e5503a99043f472cc15903a8807f0a

Japanese Navy

At the height of World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy commissioned a series of Sen Toku I-400 class submarines. These subs were large enough to carry three Aichi M6A Seiran aircraft underwater, surface, launch the planes, and then dive again. The submarines were also equipped with torpedoes.

A total of three of them were completed.

4. Nuclear Artillery

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-59428f54a8d59ada7b474973ffddfff6

US Department Of Energy

Conventional nuclear weapons are capable of destroying entire cities, but during the Cold War, the idea of 'tactical' nuclear weapons emerged. These smaller nukes were limited-yield weapons that would be launched from the ground at targets on the battlefield. Nuclear artillery was delivered with shells and short-range rockets.

5. The Soviet Ekranoplane
The 300-foot-long Lun-class Ekranoplane flew a mere four meters above the ground or water through an effect generated by its wings. It was intended to be a revolutionary transport vessel, bigger than any plane and faster than any ship. It was also capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

But it never entered into wide production and was never used in action.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-65171177fac1df888300734f81b382f3

6. Kaiten Torpedoes
Kaiten torpedoes were built by the Imperial Japanese Navy and were in service between 1944 and 1945. These torpedoes were manned and were a variant of the suicide weapons that Japan resorted to towards the end of the war. The torpedoes were launched from submarines and the pilots of the torpedoes could steer the weapons as necessary to inflict maximum damage against an enemy.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-0ea177a50d98d91d3ef6e65b9b8b07bd

7. Pigeon-Guided Missiles

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-d005073ba248df55e13444b009a213af

Department of Defense

Pigeon-guided missiles were developed by noted behaviorist B.F. Skinner during Project Pigeon. Although the project was ultimately cancelled because of the impracticality of the weapons, the idea of pigeon-guided missiles showed promise.

The missile had an array of lenses at the front that projected an image of the target to an interior screen. The pigeons were conditioned to peck at the target on the screen. The pigeon's pecks corrected the missile's flight-path.

@Abingdonboy @sancho @nair @Tshering22 @he-man @KAL-EL @janon @Oldman1 and other defence equipment enthusiasts. Sorry for the text and font. Didn't have the patience to set it right

1. The Bat Bomb
Developed by the U.S. for use against Japan during World War II, the bat bomb was literally that. Each bomb would contain 40 hibernating bats, each of which would be strapped with a small napalm bomb and a timer.

The bombs could deploy their own parachutes, giving the bats time to fly out and look for places to roost. They would then explode, potentially burning down whatever structure they had chosen as their new home.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-811ee6a4aec57dd276ca0f24c5a8288e

2. Anti-Tank Dogs
The Nazi betrayal of the Soviets during World War II caught the Russians completely off guard. In a desperate attempt at staving off the Nazi advance into their territory, the Soviets strapped dogs with explosives and trained them to run under German tanks.

Soviet propoganda claims that around 300 German tanks were destroyed in this manner. The anti-tank dog program continued until 1996.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-b3a117791c07cf1aed73146cfa1ec22a

3. Submarine Aircraft Carriers
7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-50e5503a99043f472cc15903a8807f0a

Japanese Navy

At the height of World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy commissioned a series of Sen Toku I-400 class submarines. These subs were large enough to carry three Aichi M6A Seiran aircraft underwater, surface, launch the planes, and then dive again. The submarines were also equipped with torpedoes.

A total of three of them were completed.
4. Nuclear Artillery
7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-59428f54a8d59ada7b474973ffddfff6

US Department Of Energy

Conventional nuclear weapons are capable of destroying entire cities, but during the Cold War, the idea of 'tactical' nuclear weapons emerged. These smaller nukes were limited-yield weapons that would be launched from the ground at targets on the battlefield. Nuclear artillery was delivered with shells and short-range rockets.

5. The Soviet Ekranoplane
The 300-foot-long Lun-class Ekranoplane flew a mere four meters above the ground or water through an effect generated by its wings. It was intended to be a revolutionary transport vessel, bigger than any plane and faster than any ship. It was also capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

But it never entered into wide production and was never used in action.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-65171177fac1df888300734f81b382f3

6. Kaiten Torpedoes
Kaiten torpedoes were built by the Imperial Japanese Navy and were in service between 1944 and 1945. These torpedoes were manned and were a variant of the suicide weapons that Japan resorted to towards the end of the war. The torpedoes were launched from submarines and the pilots of the torpedoes could steer the weapons as necessary to inflict maximum damage against an enemy.

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-0ea177a50d98d91d3ef6e65b9b8b07bd

7. Pigeon-Guided Missiles

7_Unbelievable_Military_Weapons_Most-d005073ba248df55e13444b009a213af

Department of Defense

Pigeon-guided missiles were developed by noted behaviorist B.F. Skinner during Project Pigeon. Although the project was ultimately cancelled because of the impracticality of the weapons, the idea of pigeon-guided missiles showed promise.

The missile had an array of lenses at the front that projected an image of the target to an interior screen. The pigeons were conditioned to peck at the target on the screen. The pigeon's pecks corrected the missile's flight-path.

@Abingdonboy @sancho @nair @Tshering22 @he-man @KAL-EL @janon @Oldman1 and other defence equipment enthusiasts. Sorry for the text and font. Didn't have the patience to set it right

i know about 3, 4 and 5 8-) others are just so weird :o:

Heard of all of them except the anti tank dog one.

Human ingenuity is at its peak when devising tools to kill each other. If only societies showed so much initiative and ingenuity in developing tools of prosperity.

Here are two clips from Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A space odyssey, depicting how our prehuman ancestors (hominids) discovered the use of bones as tools and then as weapons to attack another tribe, and how those primitive weapons evolved into today's sophisticated killing machines -

Option#2 makes me feel sick. (May be it's necessity of war and saving human lives;but still...)
Animals have been used in humankind's wars since time immemorial - horses, elephants, pigeons, whales...

Animals have been used in humankind's wars since time immemorial - horses, elephants, pigeons, whales...
When I saw "War Horse",I was horrified to see horses dying of exhaustion while pulling heavy artillery during first world war. Unlike others, horses and dogs are pretty close to humans.May be that's why we feel a bit uneasy seeing those animals put to death.

When I saw "War Horse",I was horrified to see horses dying of exhaustion while pulling heavy artillery during first world war. Unlike others, horses and dogs are pretty close to humans.May be that's why we feel a bit uneasy seeing those animals put to death.
I think elephants are even higher on the scale of sentience. Their emotional abilities are much more sophisticated than most other animals. They can feel happiness, grief etc.

Humans, because of their evolutionary advantage of superior intelligence, have been using other animals for their purposes. It's a pity, but it's a fact.

Apart from 6. Kaiten Torpedoes , i knew about the rest.

2. Anti-Tank Dogs

I heard that this program was a failure because the dogs would return to their own tanks.

They had been trained to expect meat under tanks -- the plan being that they would run under enemy tanks expecting meat and be blown up remotely -- but the dogs were a bit too true to conditioning and kept returning to their own tanks instead.

However, I heard this on Stephen Fry's QI show so, like many other claims on that show, this one is also open to skepticism.

I heard that this program was a failure because the dogs would return to their own tanks.

They had been trained to expect meat under tanks -- the plan being that they would run under enemy tanks expecting meat and be blown up remotely -- but the dogs were a bit too true to conditioning and kept returning to their own tanks instead.

However, I heard this on Stephen Fry's QI show so, like many other claims on that show, this one is also open to skepticism.

I love that show.

Heard each and every one of them in details.

FAIL @thesolar65

Ha..ha....Fail aur pass zindigi ka hisa hota hai!! I did not know any of these things. Guess lot of people except from those mentioned do not know about these things. There was a thread in 2010 "7 WTF military weapons....." But that thread did not mentioned any of these items.

lol,the bat bomb was awesome:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually it worked pretty well. But just like the dogs it could backfire. The problem was if one opened by accident...all hell would break loose. They'd burn your own stuff down.

Last edited:
Actually it worked pretty well. But just like the dogs it could backfire. The problem was if one opened by accident...all hell would break loose. They'd burn your own stuff down.

seriously these guys were going crazy with such weird ideas.
the reason why west is so advanced now has got to do with both ww2 and cold war,,,,,it was a period of innovation with huge money poured into it.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom