Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
61% of Pakistanis say women should dress as they wish: online survey
By Zehra Nabi
Published: January 14, 2014

In an online poll conducted by The Express Tribune, 61% of Pakistanis voted in favour of the statement that women should dress as they wish.

The questions in the online poll were based on a survey by University of Michigan.

Earlier this month, University of Michigan’s Population Studies Center had published the results of a survey in which it had asked respondents from seven Muslim countries to identify an ‘appropriate’ dress for women to wear publicly.

Respondents were shown six head shots which showed women wearing a shuttlecock burka, a niqab, different forms of headscarves and one without any head covering.

The report revealed that 32% of Pakistanis believe the niqab is the most appropriate dress for women.

Also, only 22% of Pakistanis in the original survey voted that women should dress as they wish.

The Express Tribune ran some of the questions from University of Michigan’s report in an online poll and, over a period of five days, 2235 people responded.

Of these, 1692 (76%) of respondents were male. 74% were from Pakistan, 18% were Pakistani expatriates and 8% identified as ‘other’.

In comparison, University of Michigan’s survey polled 3,523 Pakistanis of whom 51% were male.

Survey results

Please note these polls are non-scientific, reflect only the online audience and can be manipulated.
In the online survey, the most popular option was Woman 6 with 39% of votes.

In the original survey, Woman 2 who is shown wearing the niqab was deemed the most appropriately dressed with 32% of votes. Only 2% of the Pakistani respondents had voted for Woman 6 who is shown without any veil or head-covering.

According to University of Michigan’s report, in which respondents from Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Egypt Tunisia, Lebanon and Turkey were also polled, only the Lebanese respondents voted in the majority for Woman 6.

University of Michigan also had asked respondents if it should be up to women to dress as they wish. In their report, only 22% agreed with the statement (4% of Pakistanis strongly agreed with the statement and 18% agreed).

In Tribune’s online survey, 48% strongly agreed that women should dress as they wish and 13% agreed, with a total of 61% being in favour of the statement.

In the original survey, 8% of Pakistanis disagreed with the statement that women should always obey their husbands. In Tribune’s version of the survey, 43% disagreed with it.

Those who feel differently and enforce their will in such cases are hardly the ' on line' variety.

I guess who were the voters. Not everyone use internet.

I'm confused ....they asked Pakistani students at the University of Michigan?

I know people that go there and they're not religious. :lol:

Why would this matter....

If that is for 'Online survey' i wonder what it would be like in 'Street survey' lol

What will Mullas do about it...Pakistani women want freedom like turks...:omghaha::omghaha:
Bad days ahead of Burqa Brigade..:sarcastic::sarcastic:

Bd5J9OtCAAA9VPc.jpg:large

Meanwhile, 99% of extremists believe they should be allowed to dress how they want.

thanks to @W.11 for this astonishing piece of news.

But it is just online right?

Wouldn't a better sample be inclusive of people not having internet as this is a self selected biased sample?

Yes this is just on-line, other wise you know that in real Pakistan women have to wear, what others tell her! :crazy:

Seriously, you Indians need a break, i condemn any one who forced upon her dress wish upon Miss Zehra.

Next there should be survey, if women should be burned after the death of her husband or by abortion.... but only in Indian news!

Bd5J9OtCAAA9VPc.jpg:large

Meanwhile, 99% of extremists believe they should be allowed to dress how they want.

thanks to @W.11 for this astonishing piece of news.

First photo is not from Pakistan and i suspect a comic, the man in second photo is cleared by US/UK awarded judiciary, during the most democratic era of Pakistan and there has been no objection by any leading political party other than the most criticized and targeted army.

Last edited:
Yes this is just on-line, other wise you know that in real Pakistan women have to wear, what others tell her! :crazy:

Seriously, you Indians need a break, i condemn any one who forced upon her dress wish upon Miss Zehra.

Next there should be survey, if women should be burned after the death of her husband or by abortion.... but only in Indian news!

First photo is not from Pakistan and i suspect a comic, the man in second photo is cleared by US/UK awarded judiciary, during the most democratic era of Pakistan and there has been no objection by any leading political party other than the most criticized and targeted army.

that's because our judiciary is infiltrated by these terrorist sympathisers, this molvi auntie should have been hanged. All our parties are scared or compliant with these terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom