What's new

6 things I hate about PAKISTAN

S
No they become elite when they can demand their own "public" toilet which btw, means is run on public money to clean and maintain!

In most areas there are no "free" public toilets in Pakistan, all toilets are given on "theka" to some people and those people charge every user of those so-called "public toilets", people are already charged if you don't know about it. If they have facility to get "toilet papers" on those public toilets, many people will happily pay for it without any problem because they already pay some money to use that public toilet anyway in the name of "service" charges.

Some are free and the govt pays for their cleanliness, maintenance and treatment of the sewage! All which cost money!
Your definitions are wrong. Public toilet does not have to be free. and it has not be constructed and operated by the govt and FYI all public toilets are operated by private contractors. Also private people can and do construct public toilets like most of the gas stations in Pakistan have some public toilets constructed & operated by private people

Last edited:
Your definitions are wrong. Public toilet does not have to be free. and it has not be constructed and operated by the govt and FYI all public toilets are operated by contractors. Also private people can and do construct public toilets like most of the gas stations in Pakistan have some public toilets constructed & operated by private people

I think dubious doesn't understand the difference between public vs private toilet. Public toilet just means that it is available to anyone, it could be free or you have to pay for it depending on the location and the policy of the owner of that public toilet. Public toilet are not necessarily developed and maintained only by government. Private toilet on the other hand is something like your home toilet which only you use or in an office a toilet which is only reserved to be used by employees in contrast to a public toilet in the same office for general public visitors.

In most areas there are no "free" public toilets in Pakistan, all toilets are given on "theka" to some people and those people charge every user of those so-called "public toilets", people are already charged if you don't know about it. If they have facility to get "toilet papers" on those public toilets, many people will happily pay for it without any problem because they already pay some money to use that public toilet anyway in the name of "service" charges.
Mate, it is like going by business class. One of my friends in Pakistan told me that when Daewoo started, it was deemed too expensive and people thought no one will use it because they were charging twice or even more than normal buses travel service but according to him, today everyone wants to use Daewoo and it is always full and you have to book it in advance.
Rather it had a positive effect on others as well since they also started to improve to their services.

I think dubious doesn't understand the difference between public vs private toilet. Public toilet just means that it is available to anyone, it could be free or you have to pay for it depending on the location and the policy of the owner of that public toilet. Public toilet are not necessarily developed and maintained only by government. Private toilet on the other hand is something like your home toilet which only you use or in an office a toilet which is only reserved to be used by employees in contrast to a public toilet in the same office for general public visitors.
I have the same feeling and I have tried to explain it in my posts. Anything that is useable by people is public whether it is free or paid and whether it is operated by govt or private individual. As you rightly pointed out, private toilets are inside your home, offices or even ones attached to the rooms / suite in hotels or apartments.

Last edited:
A good explanation of why most people are quite accepting of open sewage systems in Pakistan, a fact that many tourists would find notable - if they know about it before visiting.
This mentality is really regressive and backwards. And this is holding us back from progressing. We spend billions on national scale on health issues only because of the lack of hygiene and sanitation in our lives. People get sick because they breath in polluted air, drink unclean water, eat unhygienically prepared food, getting bitten by mosquitos from the nearby open sewer or pond... but if we want to improve it, some people call it an elite culture which is so illogical.

This mentality is really regressive and backwards. And this is holding us back from progressing. We spend billions on national scale on health issues only because of the lack of hygiene and sanitation in our lives. People get sick because they breath in polluted air, drink unclean water, eat unhygienically prepared food, getting bitten by mosquitos from the nearby open sewer or pond... but if we want to improve it, some people call it an elite culture which is so illogical.

I agree with you, this mindset of calling any progressive measure/suggestion as elitism is not going to help us improve our society and infrastructure.

I agree with you, this mindset of calling any progressive measure/suggestion as elitism is not going to help us improve our society and infrastructure.
I think it is an over reaction to what the VIP culture has done to the nation but still people should be able to draw the line and not swing too much from one extreme to an other. Islam is not against people being rich but it wants circulation of the wealth and discourages the accumulation in the hands of few but if you work hard, do trade and earn a lot of profit from your business while paying all the dues, then there's no harm though it is better to share your wealth with deserving people through charity and gifts.

Similarly, covered sewers are not an elitist thing rather it follows the Islamic principles of sanitation and cleanliness. Are we not using electricity and mobile phones. Even mobile phone used to be an elitist item in the past but now it is just a necessity and everyone has one.

The best part is that all the beautiful photos of Pakistan hide this part of the "natural landscape" in Pakistan.

That is all Purana Pakistan.

We now have the Naya Pakistan.

==========================================

(And I will never think of mentioning on PDF what many men will be doing with one of their hands in public in a certain part of their anatomy. Constantly.)

Yep that’s true ...weird

Knowing my people they will start defecating in public than pay for a toilet!

This is not true. Pakistani people won't start defecating in public (it's a small percentage that pee in open) ......... you know too little. Motorways in Pakistan have free well maintained toilets available in all the rest and eating places, as you move north in KPK you will find separate toilet places for men and women at any filling station (obviously nobody during travel needs to visit toilet after every 30 minutes, so some of them at filling stations are clean enough to use when its emergency) ..... move little more up and you will find paid toilets (during tourist season the charges range something from PKR 30 to PKR 40). If you are staying in a reasonable hotel in those areas you will find clean toilets and warm water.

And if you are visiting Cholistan ......... then you should have it in mind, it's a desert come prepared. Toilets are not a problem Plastic pollution is the biggest problem. Similarly it is stupid of people to expect a toilet at Deo Sai.

Tag @Dubious too in your reply, he ( :D ) is interested in this area too.

The problem with marketing beaches is whether the local population can accept what tourists would like to do on said beaches.
Will do. :)

Motorways in Pakistan have free well maintained toilets available in all the rest and eating places, as you move north in KPK you will find separate toilet places for men and women at any filling station (obviously nobody during travel needs to visit toilet after every 30 minutes, so some of them at filling stations are clean enough to use when its emergency) ..... move little more up and you will find paid toilets (during tourist season the charges range something from PKR 30 to PKR 40). If you are staying in a reasonable hotel in those areas you will find clean toilets and warm water.
I already covered motorway toilets!

Our member here is asking for tissue paper in the toilet. Suggesting a paid and maintained toilet!

I have never paid 30-40 PKR for a toilet...So I wouldnt know about these services you claim!

Lastly, we are not talking about hotels..but public toilets!

Wasey motorway pa toilet ki Kya zarorat hai
Now a days some buses have a small toilet too...which not every personal car owner have...so sometimes you need to stop if you are driving say from ISB to Bhawalpur?

What is with you people and toilet paper? Carry your own :unsure:

2ndly, I have seen more free public toilets than the paid ones!

Yes that is the case at least with northern europeans like germans. Their worldview is very different than pakistanis', these foreign tourists know pretty well that they are travelling to 3rd world countries, they don't really want or expect to see a new "germany or german standards" while visiting 3rd world countries in Asia, Africa or Latin America, even the Italy and Spain are also very "exotic" and "chaotic" places for germans yet they travel there frequently for their holidays just to experience sunny beaches and genuine Mediterranean cusine. But there is a deep sense of insecurity and inferiority complex among "kalay angraiz" running the affairs of Pakistani state since the last 7 decades, they think that "foreign tourists" don't visit pakistan because pakistan lacks "first world facilities", that is ridiculous argument. The only thing that matter for european or american tourists is that there is at least a minimum standard of organized travel, food and accommodation. And off course there is no compromise on security whether they are roaming in their own country or a foreign country. These tourists will always choose a "more secure" 3rd world country over a "less secure" 3rd world country if there is a competition between the two.

One thing that I have noticed is that Pakistani government advertises "mountains" of northern pakistan as some kind of unique "tourist attractions" for foreign tourists. Northern European landscape is far more better looking than any mountains anywhere in pakistan including hunza or gilgit etc. Majority of European tourists have no interest to see "mountains" when they visit a foreign country, they are more interested to experience some unique culture and traditions of their destination countries. Warm beaches are far more popular among european/american tourists than sh1tty mountains. "Basant" kite flying festival that we used to have in Lahore and other cities of Pakistan is far better cultural experience for marketing the tourism in Pakistan than the sh1tty mountains that pakistan tourist department is marketing since decades without any success. Even big village cultural and local sports "Melas" in Punjab will attract a lot of foreign tourists if marketed than mountains. For god sake most foreign tourists have no interest in seeing mountains in other countries, they have abundance of them in their own countries.

Spot on, these Pakistanis think just because northen areas are popular locally because of summer heat in south it must be the case for foreigners as well. Resorts along coast line are best bet apart from old cities if Pakistan become secure enough.

The best part is that all the beautiful photos of Pakistan hide this part of the "natural landscape" in Pakistan.
Because they know it is disgusting and world won't appreciate it but still there are members who will fight tooth and nails to defend it. BTW Mohenjo Daro had covered sewer 3500 years ago. So this mediocrity crept in later. Definitely a mile backwards...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom