What's new

6 things I hate about PAKISTAN

Open sewers are cheaper to construct and easier to maintain, may be that is why they are made in such a way.

Most of the indigenous people in Pakistan used to live in villages just 50 years ago, in villages the sewerage system is interesting one, so every village has one of more "ponds" (called Chappar in punjabi language) near the houses, all the sewer lines used to empty in those chappar ponds. This is the only method people knew for centuries so when they shifted to urban areas they didn't know what to do so many of them still relied on that age old system but just channeled sewer lines to nearby wasteland, water stream or river etc.

It was government's duty to implement modern sewerage system in Pakistan at least in urban areas, but government in the past was always selective as only the planned localities were connected to government sewerage system whereas the mushroom "kach abadis" on the outskirts of the city just utilized their age old chappar sewerage system.

Last edited:
Well, it is all over the world... Don't you have 3, 4, 5 hotels? Are they free? or different classes of travel services..economy, business, first? So why not toilets?
So you now you want elite toilets just coz you yourself cant adapt? Bravo! We dont need anyone to divide Pakistan...we got Pakistanis doing a fair good of a job!

So you now you want elite toilets just coz you yourself cant adapt? Bravo! We dont need anyone to divide Pakistan...we got Pakistanis doing a fair good of a job!
lolzzz this is so regressive... can you justify 3, 4, 5 star hotels..This is not elite culture because anyone who can pay, can use them. Get your definitions right. It is practiced all over the world. Are all people living in same houses?

Most of the indigenous people in Pakistan used to live in villages just 50 years, in villages the sewerage system is interesting one, so every village has one of more "ponds" (called Chappar in punjabi language) near the houses, all the sewer lines used to empty in those chappar ponds. This is the only method people knew for centuries so when they shifted to urban areas they didn't know what to do so many of them still relied on that age old system but just channeled sewer lines to nearby wasteland, water stream or river etc.

It was government's duty to implement modern sewerage system in Pakistan at least in urban areas, but government in the past was always selective as only the planned localities were connected to government sewerage system whereas the mushroom "kach abadis" on the outskirts of the city just utilized their age old chappar sewerage system.

A good explanation of why most people are quite accepting of open sewage systems in Pakistan, a fact that many tourists would find notable - if they know about it before visiting.

My observations are the same. We need to improve ourselves in these areas if we really want a sustainable tourism industry
I have watched her videos about Pakistan. She is a positive & genuine person. But these are real issues so please keep that in mind or just watch her videos about Pakistan.

What I don’t like....

Corruption at every level in every govt office, from top to bottom, no transparency. Whether you go to get a ‘fard’ from your patwari or buy land... at every step you have to overcome obstacles ($$$).

Legal system ....flimsy cases go on and on for 30-40yrs - WTF!?!

Police - they are thugs in uniform. Not to forget they are inept and inefficient. To get an FIR registered is an achievement!

Roads/highways need regular repair/ maintenance.

Banks - hardly anyone queues. You’ve got 6 ppl hugging each other in extreme heat with a hand through the counter window - hoping to get served next and the clerk has a face like a slapped arse.

I could go on but I still prefer Pakistan to the UK which is my country of birth.

Gilgit City

Cleaned after social media backlash.

Photo: Zahid Raley

64660094_431961864054864_8605445269389049856_n.jpg

Yep that’s disgusting—- same story in every canal / river

A good explanation of why most people are quite accepting of open sewage systems in Pakistan, a fact that many tourists would find notable - if they know about it before visiting.

Yes there is a historical background about open sewerage systems in Pakistan, so people are psychologically adapted to this system and all the "smells" associated with it for centuries. We were just not an urban culture, I think before 1947 Pakistan was no less than 85% rural.

Yes there is a historical background about open sewerage systems in Pakistan, so people are psychologically adapted to this system and all the "smells" associated with it for centuries. We were just not an urban culture, I think before 1947 Pakistan was no less than 85% rural.

The best part is that all the beautiful photos of Pakistan hide this part of the "natural landscape" in Pakistan.

What I don’t like....

Corruption at every level in every govt office, from top to bottom, no transparency. Whether you go to get a ‘fard’ from your patwari or buy land... at every step you have to overcome obstacles ($$$).

Legal system ....flimsy cases go on and on for 30-40yrs - WTF!?!

Police - they are thugs in uniform. Not to forget they are inept and inefficient. To get an FIR registered is an achievement!

Roads/highways need regular repair/ maintenance.

Banks - hardly anyone queues. You’ve got 6 ppl hugging each other in extreme heat with a hand through the counter window - hoping to get served next and the clerk has a face like a slapped arse.

I could go on but I still prefer Pakistan to the UK which is my country of birth.

Yep that’s disgusting—- same story in every canal / river

That is all Purana Pakistan.

We now have the Naya Pakistan.

==========================================

(And I will never think of mentioning on PDF what many men will be doing with one of their hands in public in a certain part of their anatomy. Constantly.)

lolzzz this is so regressive... can you justify 3, 4, 5 star hotels..This is not elite culture because anyone who can pay, can use them. Get your definitions right. It is practiced all over the world. Are all people living in same houses?
Having 3,4,5 star toilet is elite culture! Coz PUBLIC toilet is not the same as a hotel!

Having 3,4,5 star toilet is elite culture! Coz PUBLIC toilet is not the same as a hotel!
This is not elite culture...or if you call this elite culture then listen...it even existed in Holy Prophet(ﷺ)'s time as well. As expensive horses, camels, expensive and cheap cloth, better quality food etc were available at higher prices and there were poor and rich companions of the Holy Prophet like Abdur Rehman bin Auf and Caliph Usman (may Allah be pleased with them).
So this kind of elite culture has always existed. BTW no body becomes an elite because he or she uses a toilet paper or western style seat. We need to over come our insecurities and complexes.

Last edited:
As expensive horses, camels, expensive and cheap cloth, better quality food etc were available at higher prices and they were poor and rich companions of the Holy Prophet like Abdur Rehman bin Auf and Caliph Usman (may Allah be pleased with them).
So now toilets are a commodity?

Kindly drop the subject and learn to let go!

BTW no body becomes an elite because he or she uses a toilet paper or western style seat. We need to over come our insecurities and complexes.
No they become elite when they can demand their own "public" toilet which btw, means is run on public money to clean and maintain!

Carry a trailer if you are in a need for a 5 star treatment! After all, I am sure elites can afford that!

This is not elite culture...or if you call this elite culture then listen...it even existed in Holy Prophet(ﷺ)'s time as well. As expensive horses, camels, expensive and cheap cloth, better quality food etc were available at higher prices and they were poor and rich companions of the Holy Prophet like Abdur Rehman bin Auf and Caliph Usman (may Allah be pleased with them).
So this kind of elite culture has always existed. BTW no body becomes an elite because he or she uses a toilet paper or western style seat. We need to over come our insecurities and complexes.

Mine is a paindu pretty lower middle class family and even we also have constructed a separate commode toilet in our home in addition to the traditional ones. I don't really understand what is "elite" in using toilet papers and commode. If using these things is elitist then even the use of pakistani style sitting toilet is also elitist because just 50 years ago people used to go in open fields to do their stuff, so to avoid "elitism" we should probably go back to our indigenous open field toilet system of the past.

Last edited:
Carry a trailer if you are in a need for a 5 star treatment! After all, I am sure elites can afford that!
Again, elite :mad::mad: I told you using a toilet paper won't turn you into an elite so kindly drop this elite phobia because it is not. It is just a need for different people. Pakistan has to open up to become a tourist destination.

Mine is a paindu pretty lower middle class family and even we also have constructed a separate commode toilet in our home in addition to the traditional ones. I don't really understand what is "elite" in using toilet papers and commode. If using these things is elitist then even the use of pakistani style sitting toilet is also elitist because just 50 years ago people used to go in open fields to do their stuff, so to avoid "elitism" we should probably go back to field toilet system.
I dont think you people understand the meaning of public toilets....

Public toilets is for the use of the public...

Some are free and the govt pays for their cleanliness, maintenance and treatment of the sewage! All which cost money!

Now putting tissue paper =
1) costly
2) the way many use it in Pakistan - it clogs the toilet = increased maintenance...

Now if you are charging 10-20 Rs ---that does jack shit to the expenses!

If you are charging 100 -200 Rs = not many would pay and we DO know for a FACT / GROUND REALITIES that people do piss in the open! Unfortunately SOME do! And this SOME might increase to MANY if you start charging high amounts! While charging low wont keep it maintained and will result in a waste of resources to build when it gets clogged every other day!

EASIEST SOLUTION is carry your own tissue paper! Why burden my country for your comforts!

ELITE culture = EXTRA COMFORTS THAT WILL BURDEN MY NATION!

Having a toilet is a basic need now! Considering long travelling! But NEEDING EXTRAS is not a need in my country and thus falls under elite!

Mine is a paindu pretty lower middle class family and even we also have constructed a separate commode toilet in our home in addition to the traditional ones. I don't really understand what is "elite" in using toilet papers and commode. If using these things is elitist then event the use of pakistani style sitting toilet is also elitist because just 50 years ago people used to go in open fields to do their stuff, so to avoid "elitism" we should probably go back to field toilet system.
100% agreed bro and very logical answer. Elite culture which we hate is abusing public resources like VIP protocols at the expense of the poor people. Using toilet paper is not elite but a choice and if someone is ready to pay extra for a service then why not?
After all, we are developing the tourism industry in the country and we want to facilitate the tourists and we can have both types of toilets at the same location...the Pakistani style seat or with western style commode. But some has turned it into an issue of being elite and ego.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom