What's new

27 Feb 19: PAF shot down two Indian aircrafts inside Pakistani airspace: DG ISPR

It's no secret that quite a number of jets were locked by each other during swift retort.

Fighters were constantly turning cold and hot to break these radar locks. Two JF-17s equipped with AESA and SD-10s were engaging and jamming IAF ground based radars. 4 F-16s had a radar lock on 7 to 9 IAF jets (all 4 mig 21s, 2 x su-30's and 2 other jets, likely mirage 2000s)

Hi,

Thank you for the aesa report on the blk2---.

Your's seems to be the proper information---. I myself had believed for awhile that it is not possible for the Paf to have not decided on the aesa radar when the BLK3 is in the build mode---.

Technically speaking---the aesa would have been operational on test aircraft 2 to 3 years ahead of production if not one year at the least.

If this is the case---then we are looking at a shorter but intense integration time---.

Thank you for sharing---.

But why not PL 15s were used then

AIM 120C5 has greater range then SD 10

Hi,

It is not as simple as that---. It is the altitude that it is launched from---it is the distance it is launched from---the angle it is launched at---the terminal speed of the missile---.

AESAs could have been the ones under evaluation.... one would expect an air force to actually test an AESA on the aircraft before choosing it

Absolutely. It was a high time to gauge their operational effectiveness in a high threat environment.

A chaff cloud like a fishing net ruined their day.
Not to mention, radar locks from two different platforms at BVR range was disturbing for IAF.

Just 10 years ago, all they had to worry about was to not get painted by an AIM-9L at close distances.

Today they have to learn about evading AIM-120C. SD-10 and PL-15. Lots of work for an Indian fighter pilot.

Thunders with AESA? Thats something new. I wonder why PL 15 were not used then
@HRK @Hodor @Windjammer @messiach @The Eagle @Dazzler

Can u elaborate it a little?

The mission requirement was for SD-10. PL-15s were new and we didn't have them until March.

Absolutely. It was a high time to gauge their operational effectiveness in a high threat environment.

Not to mention, radar locks from two different platforms at BVR range was disturbing for IAF.

Just 10 years ago, all they had to worry about was to not get painted by an AIM-9L at close distances.

Today they have to learn about evading AIM-120C. SD-10 and PL-15. Lots of work for an Indian fighter pilot.

Only one type of AESA can be equipped on blk 2.

Which AESA?
Is it the LIHUA LKF601E?
Retrofit on Block-IIs?

Kindly elaborate.
It is not public information and cannot be disclosed.

Frankly, I don't know either.

I dont think its a radar. I feel its a jamming pod. We heared the rumours that jf17 is being modified serve the role. Never knew that it is already done. @messiach @airomerix can u please reveal whats the reality if AESA

AESA radars have a certain jamming capability which suppresses the enemy's tracking capabilities.

For example, F-22 Raptors AESA can command an instruction to enemy radar system to 'not lock' or change targets. Systems are being designed to incorporate multiple capabilities which were formerly supplemented by external devices.

It is not public information and cannot be disclosed.

Frankly, I don't know either.

AESA radars have a certain jamming capability which suppresses the enemy's tracking capabilities.

For example, F-22 Raptors AESA can command an instruction to enemy radar system to 'not lock' or change targets. Systems are being designed to incorporate multiple capabilities which were formerly supplemented by external devices.

sir the AESA used in the sortie is the same which we will see in the final roll out? secondly what were the impressions of the radar in combat situation? it was okay, did fairly well or went beyond prototype expectations?

sir the AESA used in the sortie is the same which we will see in the final roll out? secondly what were the impressions of the radar in combat situation? it was okay, did fairly well or went beyond prototype expectations?
I doubt he has the answer to it or he is allowed to answer it.

FB_IMG_1577299193161.jpg

The type of AESA and its performance metrics are secrets. And i dont know about them either.

This is because we cannot give any information to indians for them to study the capabilities of JF-17s during 27th and beyond. Since their AWACS has been tracking our activity aswell, we certainly do not want them to understand the key aspects of our AESA radars by studying the behaviour of our jets.

It's no secret that quite a number of jets were locked by each other during swift retort.

Fighters were constantly turning cold and hot to break these radar locks. Two JF-17s equipped with AESA and SD-10s were engaging and jamming IAF ground based radars. 4 F-16s had a radar lock on 7 to 9 IAF jets (all 4 mig 21s, 2 x su-30's and 2 other jets, likely mirage 2000s)

Should never come to the public and even denial will create more issues. You are advised to not to make any thing public until & unless, there is a "Go" for it. In certain course of know it all; it will create more hurdles on several level for the men in uniform and our repute of being responsible. Regretfully, such info whether credible or not, will be taken down accordingly. Let's act responsibly.

Regards,

The type of AESA and its performance metrics are secrets. And i dont know about them either.

This is because we cannot give any information to indians for them to study the capabilities of JF-17s during 27th and beyond. Since their AWACS has been tracking our activity aswell, we certainly do not want them to understand the key aspects of our AESA radars by studying the behaviour of our jets.
So it means F 16s are compromised? Since Indians have know how about them thru Singapore and other places and our V Upgrade of F16s wont have much effect on Indians?

Just a question...
Do radars come in normal mode and war mode? i mean in peace time they have a different frequencies and in wartime they have different frequencies? thus different performances.

I know this about SAM radars but do not know about Air Borne Radars...

Both sides are hot, If we recall 25 and 26 feb, today we are at exact similar situation, both AirFs on high alert. CAPs and all.

May Allah Always Give success to our Armed forces and make the impossible missions/goals possible for them with 0 collateral damage and protection of Civils.

Ameen

Pray for your country and Armed forces

Let the Gangus come, We are not afraid to Fight !!!

This is the last place they will look for and probably know more abt thunder than anyone here knows..but again my image of them being a professional force has gone down the drain in february

Back
Top Bottom