What's new

25 Viper fighter jets to Morocco for $ 3.7 billion and the upgrade of 23 Block 52 to V

Hmm.

Recall the role of F-16 aircraft in checkmating Soviet and/or Afghan air raids on Pakistani soil back in the 1980s?

Recall the role of US-made choppers in numerous COIN operations within Pakistan?

Recall the role of P3-C Orion aircraft in ensuring 'situational awareness' around Pakistani borders over the course of years? That Indians went as far as to dispatch its agents to destroy them within Pakistan? One of these helped Pakistan Navy to notice an Indian submarine near Pakistani waters not long ago.

Recall the surveillance capabilities of AN/TPS-77 radar systems in Pakistan's inventory?

I completely understand the need to diversify our investments in the matters of our defenses, but American hardware delivers when the situation calls for it.

We should concentrate on improving our foreign policy and geopolitical clout, and all will be well in the long-term. In the meantime, Turkey is a reasonable substitute for acquiring NATO-standard equipment (if not American).

F-16 Block 70 is a vastly superior bird in comparison, and enables inter-operatibility with NATO forces. Morocco has great relations with much of the WEST.

Pakistan can/shall pitch JF-17 Thunder Block III to Morocco separately though.

Indeed.

F-16 Block 70/72 variants are incredibly impressive birds. Similarities with earlier Blocks are superficial to say the least.

Bro all you write is correct. Still do u remember the embargos
Do u remember when we sent f16s to be refurbished they were in such poor state that US pilots refuse to fly them.
Do u remember feb 27 when america wanted to know the use of f16s we own.

You have rightfully pointed out that they have good equipment. However that equipment comes with so many strings that for freedom buy something else. Jf17 block 3 would have been much better for morocco. After all who are their enemies? Algeria?

They are mostly thinking of the F-15SA or Rafale.. for now..and the Apache is coming very soon.. But who knows.. F-35 would be good enough.. I think they should consider the JF-17 Block 3 to replace their 27 Mirage-F1 upgraded to 2000-5 and their 10 or so F-5 upgraded to Tiger II.. 40 JF-17 Blk III should do the trick..and if they can also afford the F-15SA or the Rafale..no one can blame them.. BTW Morocco has discovered substantial reserves of natural gas lately..and their military budget for 2019-2020 is around $10 billion..
It is very good to dream...and Morocco discovered substantial gas reserves lately in Qatar.:coffee::coffee:

Guys how would you compare Grippen E with F16 V and JF17 block 3?

They could have had twice amount of block 3 at a way lesser price tag.

Not just about the price tag. The F-16 has a beautiful track record, and in comparison to other air superiority fighters, it is cheaper to maintain. So it is quite an ideal choice.
The JF-17 may be battle proven now, but it doesn't have the history F-16 has with its amazing KDR.

True that and it's bigger in size. I.e more payload

But JFT block III is more or less going to have same specs. Right???
AESA
HMDS
Air Refueling
IRST(Maybe)
Pods
FBW
Not just about the price tag. The F-16 has a beautiful track record, and in comparison to other air superiority fighters, it is cheaper to maintain. So it is quite an ideal choice.
The JF-17 may be battle proven now, but it doesn't have the history F-16 has with its amazing KDR.

Perfect news to my country , we've been waiting for this since 2016 but honestly we are suprised we though were going to buy only new 12 Viper , but here we go with 25 and upgrade the 23 so it's 48 Viper , and now only few weeks were going to see annoncement of 24 AH-64E guardian from dsca to our air force , this is the new budget that we pick for modernization our army... and just to make some people remember :D the JF-17 shot down the su30 , so u know already what The viper going to do to the russian trash

What I initially asked, diff between Block 70 & 72, the engines?

Block ending with 0 is GE equipped. Block ending with 2 is PW equipped.

Also if not sure, the exhausts for both engines is different. The PW equipped jet has smaller intake. The GE equipped has larger intake. GE equipped F-16s are called 'Big Mouth'.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @messiach @Bilal Khan 777

Block 70 - GE engine -32,500lbf

Block 72 - PW engine -29,160lbf

am I right?
I'd be surprised if the PAF doesn't at least ask for the F-16V upgrade for its 18 Block-52+. But I think upgrading the remaining F-16s might be tough, the Block-15/OCU/ADF airframes are nearing the OEM-stated airframe life.

Seems the approximate cost of upgrading No. 5's F-16s would be $900 m, and then adding another 18 Block-72 would run $2.8 b. That's $3.7 b to get 36 AESA radar-equipped medium-weight fighters (upgrade 18, add 18).

But for that price, you could get, at best, 15 Typhoon T3s (note: I'm considering the JF-17 an independent variable, more of those will come no matter what, IMO). On the other hand, the PAF won't send a dollar to the US, not until the risk of doing so is alleviated somehow (e.g., a third-party loan).

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom