What's new

2017 Census: Population by city Karachi 14.9m, Lahore 11.12m, Faisalabad 3.2m

Political parties express reservations about census results

KARACHI: As the PML-N government released initial results of the country's first census in almost two decades, different political parties voiced their reservations about the statistics.

The reservations were expressed by lawmakers from the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM-London), MQM Pakistan and Pak Sarzameen Party (PSP).

According to statistics board, Pakistan's population has surged to over 207 million, with an average annual growth rate of 2.4 percent from calendar year 1998 as recorded in recently concluded sixth housing and population census. According to provisional summary results of the census which were presented in the Council of Common Interests (CCI) on Friday, this population number included 132,189,531 rural and 75,584,989 urban population, showing an overall population growth at 57 percent during the period of 1998-2017. The updated figure -- an increase of
around 57 percent since 1998 -- is higher than the estimate of 200 million that had been in wide use.

While commenting on the results, the PPP MPA Senator Saeed Ghani questioned how can be 52 per cent population of Sindh in cities. He said Punjab is the most urbanised province. “It seems that the figures are wrong,” he said.

The MQM Senator Tahir Mashhadi and MNA Saman Jafri also raised similar questions, saying that census 2017 figures are "manipulated" and a "chunk" of data on Karachi is missing. "It is obvious that census figures have been manipulated by vested interests in Sindh. Wrong figures have very adverse effects," said Mashhadi.

"The petition on our reservations is already in court and we will raise it on all relevant forums," Saman Jafri said.

Syed Mustafa Kamal’s Pak Sarzameen Party also rejected the results.

"PSP rejects dubious results given after Census. Soon the PSP will conduct a press conference to enlighten ppl (people) with facts," the party said through its official Twitter handle.

Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Syed Khursheed Shah also raised reservations about the provisional report of the population census and said the records of the Statistics Division and the Pakistan Army should be compared.

Khursheed Shah said facts would come to the forefront once the two census records are compared. -- Agencies
https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/226335-Political-parties-express-reservations-about-census-results

LMAO, so now PPP and MQM will fight out and reject census only to accept later on. One for urban and other for rural.

So in the near future Punjab's Dominance may reduce and Lahore may overtake Karachi...May work well for Pakistan as there shall be no majority...

Perhaps a boom in Karachi may start due to the improvement of law and order in the city...

Now is time for transgenders to reject census

11201708270108.JPG

From February:

Marked increase in Karachi seats, if genuine census held: PTI

KARACHI - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Karachi President Fridaus Shamim Naqvi, while terming the upcoming census of utmost importance for Sindh, has demanded the government to conduct it in one phase across the province.

He said holding of transparent census was linked to the country’s politics. “Other political forces will raise concerns if census is not held in two phases,” he apprehended.

Addressing a press conference at Insaf House Karachi here on Monday, the PTI leader said that it was matter of concern that the delimitation theory had not been described yet and work for holding census in the province was still continuing.

PTI other leaders, including MPA Khurramm Sher Zaman, Saifur Rahman, Sardar Abdul Aziz, Raja Azhar and others were also present on the occasion.

Naqvi further said that in the past an indispensable part of census; delimitation, was not carried out as per rules, while the same is being done at the moment.

“While on one hand, there is going to be a census in Sindh, on the other there are people who do not have CNICs,” the PTI said, and cited Sindh chief minister’s statement in which he had said that 20 percent people in the province did not have CNICs and the government had yet to figure out as what to do with such people considering that census was imminent.

PTI leader demanded the CM to call All Parties Conference (APC) at which the bureaucracy, conducting the census, could explain to the politicians as to how it was going to make the exercise transparent.

He said that census would prove to be counterproductive if the government ignored PTI’s recommendations.

To a question, he said if census showed actual population of the country, then the number of seats in Karachi would increase. “There would be 42 to 45 National Assembly seats of the city and 90 to 100 provincial assembly seats in such a scenario,” he conjectured.

Speaking on the occasion, Khurram Sher Zaman said, “We have raised the issue in the Sindh Assembly and demanded that discussion be held on census on the assembly’s floor. But it is regrettable that the provincial government is using delaying tactics,” he added.

http://nation.com.pk/karachi/14-Feb-2017/marked-increase-in-karachi-seats-if-genuine-census-held-pti

interesting article from early this year. Lahore build up area as of 2017 63,800hectares vs Karachi 74,000 hectares. Using 2017 census, Lahore density 172/hec vs Karachi 201/hec. I hope people now use some common sense before going on about Lahore vs Karachi population after reading this article.

Comparing urban footprint of Lahore and Karachi

Atlas of Urban Expansion defined the extents of cities by the limit of its built up land – an approach originated and practiced in ancient Rome. This approach may be appropriate for cities that sprawl outside their administrative boundaries, but it does not suit our large city districts where most of the land is still undeveloped

Pakistan is the most urbanised country in South Asia. While the official figures rather undercount the level of urbanisation in the country, the current share of urban population is estimated around 40 percent of the total population. It is not only our cities and town that are expanding continuously and rapidly, our rural settlements are also growing in size. Most of the discussion on Pakistan’s urbanisation is based on population size. The actual geographical area of the cities is almost always ignored in this debate on urban growth. The spatial characteristics of cities are little discussed because of the general lack of appropriate data — and enthusiasm of analysts — to do so. Being an urban researcher and spatial analyst, I am quite curious to learn about the way our cities spread on ground and how they compare with each other.

Three months ago, in November 2016, a team of researchers from the New York University, Lincoln Institute of land Policy and UN Habitat presented a global analysis of the urban expansion in cities at the Habitat III Conference in Quito, Ecuador. Their work, Atlas of Urban Expansion, measures the historical growth of built up area in a global sample of 200 cities. The atlas covered three Pakistani cities Karachi, Lahoreand Sialkot. The study found that in a space of 22 years, from 1991 to 2013, total built up area of Karachi grew from 18,057 hectares to 45,327 hectares, i.e. by a factor of 2.5. For the same period, size of built up area in Lahore increased from 11,518 hectares to 35,018 hectares i.e. by a factor of 3. Similarly, Sialkot expanded from a mere 2,038 hectares to 9,620 hectares, by a factor of 4.7. What is more impressive here is that, in a span of twenty-two years, Lahore and Karachi added a combined urban area of around 50 thousand hectares to their size. In other words, an area roughly five times larger than present day Sialkot city was added in Lahore and Karachi in the last two decades.

Atlas of Urban Expansion defined the extents of cities by the limit of its built up land – an approach originated and practiced in ancient Rome. This approach may be appropriate for cities that sprawl outside their administrative boundaries, but it does not suit our large city districts where most of the land is still undeveloped and a number of small suburban settlements exist away from the main city. In short, the results of the Atlas of Urban Expansion ignore a considerable size of built up land being used for urban development at the city district level. Also, for current year 2017, the numbers should be slightly higher because more urban area has been added since 2013.

To get more complete and recent figures, I decided to map the urban footprint with the latest data from NASA’s freely available Landsat satellite. I covered entire district areas for this analysis so that the results may be comparable at the administrative level. Results from this exercise are quite revealing and thought provoking. Lahore city district has an urban footprint of approximately 63,800 hectares. As the official total area of the city district is 173,700 hectares, it means that around 36 percent of its land is occupied by some kind of urban development such as buildings, roads, urban parks, etc. On the other hand, city district Karachi has an urban footprint of approximately 74,000 hectares. With a total city district area of 365,000 hectares, urban development in Karachi city district covers around 18pc of its total land.

Capture3-230x130.png

Figure 1 Urban footprint in the city districts of Lahore and Karachi, in year 2017

Horizontal expansion demands more infrastructural resource and thus becomes less efficient when resources are scarce and contested. Without any visible signs of actions taken to stop this low-density sprawl, it seems that more productive land will fall prey to the residential development.

Two conclusions can be drawn immediately from these figures: First, that at city district level, Lahore is more urbanised than Karachi in terms of percentage area being used for urban development. Secondly, it shows that Lahore is not far behind Karachi in terms of total area of urban development as well. Difference between both districts is only around 10,000 hectares and who knows how long it will take Lahore to cover this gap? Keeping in view the scale of recent infrastructural and industrial commitments, it seems realistic to say that in a decade or two, Lahore’s urban development area might surpass that of Karachi, potentially making it the district with largest urban area in Pakistan. A review of the old data would shed more light on the rate at which urban development occurred in both city districts.

Provincial government statistics referred to above show that city district Karachi has an estimated current population of around 9.5 million whereas city district Lahore has a population of 6.5 million. If we calculate population density in the areas of urban development only, we find that Karachi houses approximately 135 people’s per hectare of built land, while for Lahore these figures reach merely 102 persons per hectare. These statistics show that that land consumption might be more efficient in Karachi than Lahore.

These urban patterns and differences are not without underlying causes and consequences. A significantly lower (by one third to be precise) built up population density in Lahore is an aftermath of choices its city managers and developers have made for the city over decades. Lahore’s urban development is often criticised for favouring low-density sprawl and not allowing high-rise development.

On its causes, it can be said that Lahore has benefited from stable geopolitical and economic circumstances. It has enjoyed greater political stability and a better urban governance over the last few decades. It was also successful in reaping the benefits of classical urban giantism theory that explains how large cities prosper by getting bulk of the public resources. Lahore has enjoyed a strong presence of urban-villages in its economic and geographical hinterlands. These villages have also grown in size along with the city, resulting in the agglomeration and conurbation of settlements in the city district.

On the other hand, Karachi scored negative on the same points on which Lahore prospered over the years. A volatile political climate, poor urban governance and sever security environment meant that the benefits of urbanisation were not fully realised in Karachi.

This ongoing process of continuous outward expansion provides an opportunity and a threat for both cities. There is good news in the sense that being the second largest city in the country, Lahore, can now easily boasts its status as being the most urbanised city district in the country. On the negative side, Lahore should be worried about its low-densitysprawl, which is engulfing its vast agricultural lands. Horizontal expansion demands more infrastructural resource and thus becomes less efficient when resources are scarce and contested. Without any visible signs of actions taken to stop this low-density sprawl, it seems that more productive land will fall prey to the residential development. Gentrification and exclusion of local residents from the area when new gated communities suddenly emerge and stop the ‘outsiders’ from mixing or enjoying their neighbourhood, should also concern our social scientists and government departments. Good news for both cities is that a vast portion of their area is still undeveloped. They can learn from each other’s past and improve their future course of actions to materialise the dreams of a more sustainable, loveable and prosperous society.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/02/19/comparing-urban-footprint-of-lahore-and-karachi/

Political parties express reservations about census results

KARACHI: As the PML-N government released initial results of the country's first census in almost two decades, different political parties voiced their reservations about the statistics.

The reservations were expressed by lawmakers from the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM-London), MQM Pakistan and Pak Sarzameen Party (PSP).

According to statistics board, Pakistan's population has surged to over 207 million, with an average annual growth rate of 2.4 percent from calendar year 1998 as recorded in recently concluded sixth housing and population census. According to provisional summary results of the census which were presented in the Council of Common Interests (CCI) on Friday, this population number included 132,189,531 rural and 75,584,989 urban population, showing an overall population growth at 57 percent during the period of 1998-2017. The updated figure -- an increase of
around 57 percent since 1998 -- is higher than the estimate of 200 million that had been in wide use.

While commenting on the results, the PPP MPA Senator Saeed Ghani questioned how can be 52 per cent population of Sindh in cities. He said Punjab is the most urbanised province. “It seems that the figures are wrong,” he said.

The MQM Senator Tahir Mashhadi and MNA Saman Jafri also raised similar questions, saying that census 2017 figures are "manipulated" and a "chunk" of data on Karachi is missing. "It is obvious that census figures have been manipulated by vested interests in Sindh. Wrong figures have very adverse effects," said Mashhadi.

"The petition on our reservations is already in court and we will raise it on all relevant forums," Saman Jafri said.

Syed Mustafa Kamal’s Pak Sarzameen Party also rejected the results.

"PSP rejects dubious results given after Census. Soon the PSP will conduct a press conference to enlighten ppl (people) with facts," the party said through its official Twitter handle.

Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Syed Khursheed Shah also raised reservations about the provisional report of the population census and said the records of the Statistics Division and the Pakistan Army should be compared.

Khursheed Shah said facts would come to the forefront once the two census records are compared. -- Agencies
https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/226335-Political-parties-express-reservations-about-census-results

LMAO, so now PPP and MQM will fight out and reject census only to accept later on. One for urban and other for rural.

Another funny thing I read, some Sindhi nationalist party member is saying that Sindh population is 70m with urban being 35% and rural 65%.

I only marked out the built area of Lahore and super-imposed that on Karachi. The built area of Karachi is visible and you can then from their sort of compare. Note I marked only the built area and not the legal city limits. Since people reside in only built environment. The only issue that complicates the comparison is built could mean two storey building housing one family of 5 or one building of ten storeys housing ten familes of aggregating to 50 people. That is why I said those who live their could make comment about densties in each city.

as per 98's census Lahore have more density
Lahore: Population Density 3565.9 per Sq. Km (link)
Karachi Population Density 2794.5 per Sq. Km (link)

which is understandable as Karachi have more area (almost double the size of Lahore ) .... Karachi: Area 3527 Sq.Kms.
(less) Lahore: Area 1772 Sq.Kms.
.... Diff:---------- 1755 Sq.Kms.

Therefore population density could not be taken as a appropriate base for estimation or calculation for 2017 census

One more thing which need to be keep in mind that Karachi had 18 towns under City District Government Karachi (CDGK) non of the town had population estimate less than a million (densely populated town had more population) so for a Karachiite it is insane to accept that in 2017 Karachi population is even less than 20 million mark.

Couple of points I want to make. I don't have any bone in this 'fight'. I am from neither city and don't know them that well. I admit I am more frequented with Lahore though. I am only looking at this from curiosity point of view. I did geography in high school and enjoyed that subject. So I am sort of using some of things we learnt to try objectively to look at this subject. Few things I want people to note.

(i) I am only looking at objective satellite imgery that shows the cluster of "built environment". Housing, schools, industry, roads etc that go to give a "footprint" of human habitation. Common sense tells us more of this equates to more population. I am not measuring the legal boundaries because you could have huge area but with only small cluster of built environment. The critical factor here is repeat the built environment.

(ii) Looking at the built environment [urban spraw] I was surprised. Karachi is only slightly larger - maybe 25%-30% larger than Lahore. This was surprising as I had impression that Karachi was a huge megapolis which it indeed is but it is not significantly larger then Lahore. In short Karachi is larger but not by the magnitudes I had thought.

(iii) However although Karachi's built environment [urban sprawl] is about 25%-30% larger it still might harbour population higher than Lahore's on account of having higher population densities. Meaning more people are stuffed in buildings. Here I have nothing to go by. I would have to be well acquainted with both cities to make a guess which I am not. That is why I asked members. Lahore old city appears to have very high density but then it has other areas which are not so much.

(iv) Assuming you give Karachi higher density frankly to me the census figure are about correct. There will be some error factor but I am not going to take seriously Karachi has twice more people then Lahore. Maybe I will give Karachi 1.5 to 1 for Lahore at max and that is pushing it. If I use that bloated measure even then Karach cannot be more than 16.5 million. Any claim higher then this just does not have the physical footprint on trhe ground to sustain it.

(v) The geography of Lahore would encourgage higher densities because it has prime agricultural land around it and is hemmed in by the Indian border on the east. Whereas Karachi has just miles of open desert allowing for urban spraw to spread at nominal cost.

(vi) This is Pakistan. I can't think of anything contentious being carried out and some idiot somewhere not being happy with it. In such enumerations where some parties might lose out will always garner protests of unfairness etc. Pakistan is not a country where the losers just say "okay fair cop". The standard reaction is find some fault or some excuse to moan about as justification. Just like even PM Nawaza Sharif. Had he come out the winner at the Supreme Court the same PM would have been giving speaches lauding Pakistan's mighty judiciary as repository of justice and fairness. The opposition on the other hand would have claimed the judges were "fixed". Instead PM Nawaz Sharif lost and we know what is happening.

(vii) The most trusted institution the army was used yet we still have people suggesting the figures are incorrect. What next? Are they going to call United States Army or maybe call People Liberation Army of China to carry out the census? Or maybe both US Army and PLA? Or hey how about calling in US Army, PLA, NATO and Saudi Arabia Army. But then the Shia will complain so shall we also call in Iranian Army? Or maybe not bother with a census. Just ask the parties concerned to fill in what numbers they fancy and take them as holy facts? I mean this is pathetic. Pakistan has to grow up and accept the results. If the parties were not happy they should have said so before how the census should be changed not start complaing after the results came out.

In conclusion my feeling is the census figure are broadly correct. Karachi relative to Lahore is not as larger as I had the impression. In my mind I had Karachi as being like 2 times or even 3 times larger but that evidently is not the case.

Here below is a good comparison tool. I ask @Joe Shearer @Penguin as impartial observers to give their thoughts [city stats given below] once they have looked at the satellite imagery of both cities. Do these figure look plausible?

Comparison site. Input the cities/then navigate/scale remains constant. http://util.io/compare-maps

Karachi - 14.9 million
Lahore - 11.1 million

L1DOVrI.jpg

I don't have any bone in this 'fight'. I am from neither city and don't know them that well.
Oh come on man nobody is suspecting you for having bad intention for anyone .....
(vii) The most trusted institution the army was used yet we still have people suggesting the figures are incorrect.
Army (most of the cases here in Karachi it was Rangers) was used only to provide security .... not for the purpose of head counting .... Census was the responsibility of a civilian institution.

Secondly all of the political parties of Karachi (not just MQM or PPP even PTI & Jamat-e-Islami) have rejected the initial figures & this has noting to do with ETHNICITY in fact this have effected other communities more than Urdu speaking community

Last edited:
Between 1998-2017 sindhs annual population growth rate has been 2.41 where as in punjab its been lower at 2.13.Still most political leaders and parties in sindh feel their numbers have been undercounted.Balochistan had the highest growth i suspect because of influx from afghanistan and its not uncommon for tribal people to have more than 10 kids.

as per 98's census Lahore have more density
Lahore: Population Density 3565.9 per Sq. Km (link)
Karachi Population Density 2794.5 per Sq. Km (link)

which is understandable as Karachi have more area (almost double the size of Lahore ) .... Karachi: Area 3527 Sq.Kms.
(less) Lahore: Area 1772 Sq.Kms.
.... Diff:---------- 1755 Sq.Kms.

Therefore population density could not be taken as a appropriate base for estimation or calculation for 2017 census

One more thing which need to be keep in mind that Karachi had 18 towns under City District Government Karachi (CDGK) non of the town had population estimate less than a million (densely populated town had more population) so for a Karachiite it is insane to accept that in 2017 Karachi population is even less than 20 million mark.

Check out post above, you are just comparing whole district size. Rawalpindi is 5200+Sq km but city is build on much less. Also some people in Karachi gov under Musharraf were already giving estimates of 16m in 2006, just 8 years after 1998 census. Then with doggy estimates they came with plan to expand Karachi boundary on all sides including Baluchistan because by 2020 population will be 27.5m. Obviously plan didn't go anywhere as soon as Musharraf was removed and the fact that you can't just buy out land from other districts and merge as far as I know unless its special case like Islamabad.

Read 2005-06 master plan of Karachi and population estimates, now its clear from where the numbers were coming. From Karachi government it self under Musharraf regime.

Why their estimates don't make any sense? In 1998 census Karachi housing units were 1.45m with average household size 6.7 vs national average which was 6.9. Now in 2017 national average have come down to 6.45. And in case of Karachi even more less then average. If Karachi population was 25m then it will need around 4m housing units if average is 6. Maybe its hard to count people but not houses right?

"In Sindh, there are 8.59 million households – an addition of 3.57 million units or 71.2% more than the previous census. The share of urban housing units currently stands at 51.22% in total provincial households, matching the province’s urban population. In absolute terms, urban households in Sindh stand at 4.4 million."
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1491353/census-2017-family-size-shrinks/

Sindh 2017 urban population 25m of which 15m is from Karachi, its impossible for Karachi to have 4m households in 2017. For that census teams and army must have missed over million houses. Karachi households will be around 2.6m in 2017 census when ever we get full report.

Last edited:
So do you think -

(i) figures are indeed incorrect
(ii) there was incompetence in enumeration
(iii) there was foul play in enumeration
(iv) if so who was behind foul play and what was the motive?
As of now no one in position to put blame to any particular direction or civilian institution (but end of the day Pakistan Bureau of Statistic will have to take all the blamed)
& the debated discrepancy in the census figure could be due any reason let say might be because of some technical reason which have nothing to do with politics
for example
Population_Results_1_Page_1_0.jpg

(From Official source)
take a good look at average annual the growth rate of population of Urban areas of Sindh which as per this summary is 2.46%; we assume its the same for Karachi as well now try to understand "IF" that growth rate represent both factor of population growth i.e. BIRTH + MIGRATION then it does not seems appropriate as growth rate of Rural Sindh is 2.36% where migration is not a big contributor (in fact in most cases negative contributor) in population growth on the other hand migration in urban centers (& let me remind you we assume same growth rate for Karachi which receive most number of migrants from all over the country) is contributing ONLY 0.10% in overall growth of population in Karachi

Does it seems logical to you ....???

Plz keep in mind have not compare growth rate figures with other provinces to avoid controversies, but I think you can compare & draw results by your own ....
Check out post above, you are just comparing whole district size.
plz Karachi is not a DISTRICT but a DIVISION having SIX DISTRICTS combine under it known as Karachi.... rest of your post is 'hinting' about ethnic/political conspiracy theory for which I am literally not interested

As of now no one in position to put blame to any particular direction or civilian institution (but end of the day Pakistan Bureau of Statistic will have to take all the blamed)
& the debated discrepancy in the census figure could be due any reason let say might be because of some technical reason which have nothing to do with politics
for example
Population_Results_1_Page_1_0.jpg

(From Official source)
take a good look at average annual the growth rate of population of Urban areas of Sindh which as per this summary is 2.46%; we assume its the same for Karachi as well now try to understand "IF" that growth rate represent both factor of population growth i.e. BIRTH + MIGRATION then it does not seems appropriate as growth rate of Rural Sindh is 2.36% where migration is not a big contributor (in fact in most cases negative contributor) in population growth on the other hand migration in urban centers (& let me remind you we assume same growth rate for Karachi which receive most number of migrants from all over the country) is contributing ONLY 0.10% in overall growth of population in Karachi

Does it seems logical to you ....???

Plz keep in mind have not compare growth rate figures with other provinces to avoid controversies, but I think you can compare & draw results by your own ....

Is there posiblity rural Sindh population is exagerated? Yes. But unlike rural Sindh for urban areas is very easy to check their built up area with satellite images. One could do the same for rural areas to count houses but that will be very time consuming for us.

I’m not hinting at any conspiracy but its a fact everyone exagerate their numbers to the point it start to look like Pakistan population is 300m if we believe everyone. This census was released after approval in CCI by all provincial governments, obviously now some will play politics. Because MQM will reject census and so will PPP.

For Karachi population to be 25m, houses will have to number around 4.4m which were 1.45m in 98. So rural population maybe be exagerated but urban Sindh not so much.

Anyway more verification will be carried out and still many months are left before final results are presented. If Karachi really have over 4m houses then it will not be hard to prove.

For Karachi population to be 25m, houses will have to number around 4.4m which were 1.45m in 98. So rural population maybe be exagerated but urban Sindh not so much.
bhai not every single residential building represent single family now the popular trent is to live in portions (consider it similar to flat system) which are now more affordable because of exponential growth in property prices
plz wait for more details of census before making further comments we may find it more easy to understand the census results ....

bhai not every single residential building represent single family now the popular trent is to live in portions (consider it similar to flat system) which are now more affordable because of exponential growth in property prices
plz wait for more details of census before making further comments we may find it more easy to understand the census results ....

In 1998 Karachi average household 6.7 vs 6.9 national average. Now national average household is 6.45 and Karachi will be around 6. And apartment residential building obviously doesn't count as single family. Point is its hard to see how census teams missed over 1 million houses or 30% in Karachi.

Back
Top Bottom