What's new

2017 Census: Population by city Karachi 14.9m, Lahore 11.12m, Faisalabad 3.2m

Have lived in Karachi for the last 39 years and personally observed (closely) the population growth and city expansion. The figures which pertain to Karachi are erroneous unless there is a justification like certain outskirts of Karachi have not been included. I would like to see TOWN-WISE population figures because I believe that will help identifying where exactly the problem lies.

Have lived in Karachi for the last 39 years and personally observed (closely) the population growth and city expansion. The figures which pertain to Karachi are erroneous unless there is a justification like certain outskirts of Karachi have not been included. I would like to see TOWN-WISE population figures because I believe that will help identifying where exactly the problem lies.
Sir g devil is in detail ,,, if you are excluding town then it means gov is using powers to manipulat

so Gujranwala Population is more than Peshawar , Multan and Hyderabad. what a joke.
Total area of Karachi is 3500 sq km and lahore is 450 sq km. i live in Lahore but if lahore is 11 million karachi is for sure more than double

so Gujranwala Population is more than Peshawar , Multan and Hyderabad. what a joke.
Total area of Karachi is 3500 sq km and lahore is 450 sq km. i live in Lahore but if lahore is 11 million karachi is for sure more than double
A little correction ,, area of lahore is 1770, which is still half of Karachi but Karachi is much more densely populated then Lahore and I can esaily say that its more than double of Lahore at minimum ...

A little correction ,, area of lahore is 1770, which is still half of Karachi but Karachi is much more densely populated then Lahore and I can esaily say that its more than double of Lahore at minimum ...

Pontless to compare whole district area. Karachi bullt area as of 2017 74,000hec vs 63,000hec for Lahore. One can verify this on google map. Not much difference compared to population which is 16m Karachi and 11m for Lahore. Because Karachi have higher density.

As affan shows there is no point in visiting some area, we have better tools on our hand now. People in cities don’t know who is living next door let alone how many yet they are expert how much population their city have. This is why census with CNIC verification and sattelite images is only way to go. We didn’t had these tools in 1998.

Once PBS release detailed report of every Karachi mohalla then with proof people can go and correct them. Right now all we have is anedotal evidence without any proof.

Pontless to compare whole district area. Karachi bullt area as of 2017 74,000hec vs 63,000hec for Lahore. One can verify this on google map. Not much difference compared to population which is 16m Karachi and 11m for Lahore. Because Karachi have higher density.

As affan shows there is no point in visiting some area, we have better tools on our hand now. People in cities don’t know who is living next door let alone how many yet they are expert how much population their city have. This is why census with CNIC verification and sattelite images is only way to go. We didn’t had these tools in 1998.

Once PBS release detailed report of every Karachi mohalla then with proof people can go and correct them. Right now all we have is anedotal evidence without any proof.
From where the hell are you bringing this 74,000 hec figure? Now you are pissing me ? just go to google maps and check what area of Karachi they are quoting ...

Karachi's population isn't even 17 or 18 million? Really?!

Yes its 16m according to tribune but I don’t get how interior sindh is keeping up with urban sindh in terms of growth. PBS need to show forms and verify with Nadra, maybe interior sindh people are having more children and they are not moving out either.

This is possible if lets say Karachi doesn’t show much increase in sindhi speakers. We just have to wait and see.

From where the hell are you bringing this 74,000 hec figure? Now you are pissing me ? just go to google maps and check what area of Karachi they are quoting ...

"To get more complete and recent figures, I decided to map the urban footprint with the latest data from NASA’s freely available Landsat satellite. I covered entire district areas for this analysis so that the results may be comparable at the administrative level. Results from this exercise are quite revealing and thought provoking. Lahore city district has an urban footprint of approximately 63,800 hectares. As the official total area of the city district is 173,700 hectares, it means that around 36 percent of its land is occupied by some kind of urban development such as buildings, roads, urban parks, etc. On the other hand, city district Karachi has an urban footprint of approximately 74,000 hectares. With a total city district area of 365,000 hectares, urban development in Karachi city district covers around 18pc of its total land."

Capture3-230x130.png

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/02/19/comparing-urban-footprint-of-lahore-and-karachi/

I live in Karachi and have visited Lahore not seen diversity in Lahore, where in Karachi you will still find people coming from all over the country and region for Jobs. I dont get the point of this 14 million population of Karachi even UN estimates Karachi population above 20 million. Only people live in Karachi can observe it and FYI being visited Lahore and Karachi both IMHO Lahore is still not that lucrative market for Job seekers compare to Karachi even my Lahori friends says the same.

Again anecdotal isn't good enough proof. Karachi have 40-50% more population then Lahore but not 300% more population as some claim. Even in 1998 Lahore populatin was 6.3m vs Karachi 9.8m.

"To get more complete and recent figures, I decided to map the urban footprint with the latest data from NASA’s freely available Landsat satellite. I covered entire district areas for this analysis so that the results may be comparable at the administrative level. Results from this exercise are quite revealing and thought provoking. Lahore city district has an urban footprint of approximately 63,800 hectares. As the official total area of the city district is 173,700 hectares, it means that around 36 percent of its land is occupied by some kind of urban development such as buildings, roads, urban parks, etc. On the other hand, city district Karachi has an urban footprint of approximately 74,000 hectares. With a total city district area of 365,000 hectares, urban development in Karachi city district covers around 18pc of its total land."

Capture3-230x130.png

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/02/19/comparing-urban-footprint-of-lahore-and-karachi/

Again anecdotal isn't good enough proof. Karachi have 40-50% more population then Lahore but not 300% more population as some claim. Even in 1998 Lahore populatin was 6.3m vs Karachi 9.8m.
WTF are you talking about ? Most of the karachi is uninhabited ... you must be smoking something realy hard

WTF are you talking about ? Most of the karachi is uninhabited ... you must be smoking something realy hard
Yes? Are you really from Karachi? In either case you don't know much about it. There is very little population in Malir 14,15 and 9 relatively when one look at their size.

Karachi_admin.PNG

Now Malir, eastern Karachi and western Karachi 9 has seen highest growth rate in Karachi. Central/south Karachi not as much because it was already populated.
Karachi Division

Karachi Division’s total population has been recorded at 16.051 million – higher by 6.195 million people or 62.85%, according to the provisional results.

Out of this, the Karachi city’s population was 14.91 million. Compared with the 1998 census results when 95.9% people used to live in urban areas, now 92.9% people are living in the metropolitan city.

The maximum concentration of Karachi Division’s population was in Karachi’s District West where 3.9 million lived, according to 2017 results. The district’s population grew by 87.4% or 1.825 million people during the past 19 years.

The Malir District witnessed the highest increase in Karachi Division, as the district’s population increased by 105.7% or 1.03 million to 2.1 million inhabitants.

The District Central’s population increased by 30.4% to 2.97 million. District East’s population increased by 97.5% or 1.435 million during the past 19 years to 2.9 million people.

Similarly, District South population was 1.791 million – higher by 21.2% or 313,000 persons.

Korangi District population was 2.45 million people, which was 896,000 people or 57.4% higher than the 1998 results.

Last edited:
Yes? Are you really from Karachi? In either case you don't know much about it. There is very little population in Malir 14,15 and 9 relatively when one look at their size.

Karachi_admin.PNG

Now Malir, eastern Karachi and western Karachi 9 has seen highest growth rate in Karachi. Central/south Karachi not as much because it was already populated.
Karachi Division

Karachi Division’s total population has been recorded at 16.051 million – higher by 6.195 million people or 62.85%, according to the provisional results.

Out of this, the Karachi city’s population was 14.91 million. Compared with the 1998 census results when 95.9% people used to live in urban areas, now 92.9% people are living in the metropolitan city.

The maximum concentration of Karachi Division’s population was in Karachi’s District West where 3.9 million lived, according to 2017 results. The district’s population grew by 87.4% or 1.825 million people during the past 19 years.

The Malir District witnessed the highest increase in Karachi Division, as the district’s population increased by 105.7% or 1.03 million to 2.1 million inhabitants.

The District Central’s population increased by 30.4% to 2.97 million. District East’s population increased by 97.5% or 1.435 million during the past 19 years to 2.9 million people.

Similarly, District South population was 1.791 million – higher by 21.2% or 313,000 persons.

Korangi District population was 2.45 million people, which was 896,000 people or 57.4% higher than the 1998 results.
1 million in malir district ... hahahahaha beta kbhi aao malir tu pata chaly tmhn ... you know a jack shit about karachi ...

1 million in malir district ... hahahahaha beta kbhi aao malir tu pata chaly tmhn ... you know a jack shit about karachi ...

I'm not going to Karachi, especially not for census. Also read

"The Malir District witnessed the highest increase in Karachi Division, as the district’s population increased by 105.7% or 1.03 million to 2.1 million inhabitants."

Malir have seen highest growth rate of 105% in Karachi. People don't know who live next door let alone how many and here you claim Karachi population is near 30m.

Bull shit 2 million malir ... jb dekha nahi tu bakwas q ?
I'm not going to Karachi, especially not for census. Also read

"The Malir District witnessed the highest increase in Karachi Division, as the district’s population increased by 105.7% or 1.03 million to 2.1 million inhabitants."

Malir have seen highest growth rate of 105% in Karachi. People don't know who live next door let alone how many and here you claim Karachi population is near 30m.

Back
Top Bottom