What's new

16th December 1971: From East Pakistan to Bangladesh

Still you have nothing to say about us in general, but your very personal opinion. This is my Bangladesh: I will love it, or I will hate it (if I really can), it's my prerogative. But it's true that we find the maximum peace here. And that is the spiritual peace.

This is an online forum, people express their personal opinion here, so do I.

I was expecting someone to say something like this and it happened just like I thought it would. I knew someone would say that we don't sound Bengali. Just because we show any slight support, or even neutrality to anything Pakistani.. that means we are not Bengali or don't sound Bengali.

Also, by all means, please name your state whatever you like. Just don't try and dictate about whether we are Bengali or not based on our choices, both personal and/or official.

Like I already said, mentioning anything that shows Bangladeshis showing anything that is connected to Pakistan automatically makes us less Bengali and "wannabe" Punjabis, Afghanis, Kashmiris, Sindhis and Balochis right? I don't understand why some people think that being Bengali, or Bangladeshi to be exact, means being totally against anything Pakistani in any sense. Not you Abir, but people in general.

Bharati in general doesn't think, Bangladeshi should be Islamic minded. They find it odd when we give priority to Islamic values and culture over local Bangla culture. They failed to understand that Islam is universal concept so it's not unnatural that Bangladeshi Muslims would have similarities with Muslim form other part of Islamic world due to common religious and cultural practice.

Bharati in general doesn't think, Bangladeshi should be Islamic minded. They find it odd when we give priority to Islamic values and culture over local Bangla culture.

Would you mind telling us what exactly you mean by Islamic culture and how would you like to differentiate it from what you said Bangla culture?

Would you mind telling us what exactly you mean by Islamic culture and how would you like to differentiate it from what you said Bangla culture?

@ Eastwatch. There is gulf of difference between the West Bengal Bengalee culture and our Bangladeshi Bengalee culture. It had been settled through various movement. Let me explain a little bit with my knowlege:

1. We the Bangalee muslim never belief on "Mongol Prodip or Mongol Jatra" but this is being followed by West Bengalees. They start each and every work with "Mongol prodip". Now-a-days some of our people are following without realising it. Specially in our country there some cultural organisation like "Udichi", "Joy Bangla Sangscrity Gushti"etc. These cultural organisation always starts the work with "Mongal Prodip". Many a time it had been proved that these organisation are been financed by RAW.

2. It is said that in Hindu religion there is a "Baro mashe tero puja"(in 12 months there is 13 pujas) so it is related with various "Malas"(Fair) and with various seasons. Since initially we were Bengalee and than we become muslim we have to forgo all these various "Malas" and functions. In our religion we have our own function like two Eids, "Shobebarat", Shabemiraj", "Eid Miladun-nabi" etc. These songs and various hindu related functions were restricted in our religion. Now, you would ask where it is written ?

3. In Muslim Bengalee culture we follow "Puther Gun" but in Hindu culture they follow "Kobir Gun". As you know the Persian and Arabic culture was very rich in 15/16 century. At that time we the Bengalee muslims used to follow the Bengalee as a "kuththo Basha" and higher classes people used to read Arabic, Persi, Turkey etc. So, the common people did not had the capability to read and write. So, the Persian and Arabic schoolars invented this "Puthir Gun" and through this "Puthir Gun" the Islamic history and various other events were narrated and soon it became so popular in this Bengal that Hindus were in problem. Soon, the Hindu Schoolars also discover the alternative of this "Puthir Gun" and they invented "Kobir Gun". Although many Hindu schoolar also used this "Puthir Gun" in their religion. It was through this "Puthir Gun" for 3 to 4 centuries the Islam was spread in this area and their tradations were kept intact.

4. We the Muslims of Bengal always say water as "Pani" instead of "Jol" just to differentiate.

5. We wear "Lungi" instead of "Dhoti". This was the influence of "Wahabi Movement". Since than we also started our name on the line of Muslim.

6. We say meat as "Goash" instead of "Mangsho". Some people say we say it since "Mangsho" is "Maer ongsho". If you donnot belief these things I have nothing to say but these are facts of our life.

7. We never give a "Fuller Mala" on a picture of deceased person.

8. Even giving "Fhool" on the "Bedi" of "Shahid Minor" is also not accepted in Islam. What is this "Shahid Bedi" means. Does not the term has come from Hindu religion. Well we belief on "Milad Mahfil".

9. The Bengalee true women never gives "Tip" on the forehead. That is why you would find that Indian Muslim girls/women and Pakistani girl/women never give "Tip".

10. We generally follow some Arabic and Persian words in our day to day life very frequently. This is our tradition and we are proud of that. Like "Mashallah, Alhamdullah, Inshallah etc".

^Mangso is a Tôdbhôbo(তদ্ভব) word, তৎসম tôtshômo cognate of which is Aamish(sanskrit Aamisha).

9. The Bengalee true women never gives "Tip" on the forehead. That is why you would find that Indian Muslim girls/women and Pakistani girl/women give "Tip".

Tip is not a Bengali culture but Indo-Iranian culture, Zoroastrians also apply tip.

^
^

Doing Salam by bending head and touching feet is also not any Muslim culture. You forgot to mention that.

And now we the Bengalees won our independent. Now the question arises, are we really secured now ? ?????

I remembered in those days people used to get at least good jobs on merit basis. A gurdian could say I want to make my son as doctor, engineer, Armed Force Officer, etc. Now, see the present situation , everywhere is corruption, our large scale industries are finished. Everywhere is grouping and most important thing is our real sovereignty. Are we real sovereign now ? Can we achieve it ? How ?

---I heard to say few people that PK-era was better than now.
---I think we are not 100% s sovereign. The foreign intel can do anything, but our intel knows nothing.
---Yes, still we are very much dependent on India. But there is way, if we can find, I believe.

Doing Salam by bending head and touching feet is also not any Muslim culture. You forgot to mention that.

Yes I was once in an embarrassing position after touching feet of my friends mother. Although aunty accepted my respect in sporting manner but some neighbours who were there looked at me in weird way! :lol:

I'm not trying to show the similarities between Bangladeshis and us, but I found some of what Akmal posted are factually wrong.

. It is said that in Hindu religion there is a "Baro mashe tero puja"(in 12 months there is 13 pujas) so it is related with various "Malas"(Fair) and with various seasons. Since initially we were Bengalee and than we become muslim we have to forgo all these various "Malas" and functions. In our religion we have our own function like two Eids, "Shobebarat", Shabemiraj", "Eid Miladun-nabi" etc. These songs and various hindu related functions were restricted in our religion. Now, you would ask where it is written ?.

The exact quote is "Baro maase tero Parbon", Parbon means any festival, not a Hindu religious festival.

In Muslim Bengalee culture we follow "Puther Gun" but in Hindu culture they follow "Kobir Gun". As you know the Persian and Arabic culture was very rich in 15/16 century. At that time we the Bengalee muslims used to follow the Bengalee as a "kuththo Basha" and higher classes people used to read Arabic, Persi, Turkey etc. So, the common people did not had the capability to read and write. So, the Persian and Arabic schoolars invented this "Puthir Gun" and through this "Puthir Gun" the Islamic history and various other events were narrated and soon it became so popular in this Bengal that Hindus were in problem. Soon, the Hindu Schoolars also discover the alternative of this "Puthir Gun" and they invented "Kobir Gun". Although many Hindu schoolar also used this "Puthir Gun" in their religion. It was through this "Puthir Gun" for 3 to 4 centuries the Islam was spread in this area and their tradations were kept intact.

Heh, since when music has become exclusive to any religion? Persians were learned by both Hindus and Muslims because rulers talked in Persian.

We the Muslims of Bengal always say water as "Pani" instead of "Jol" just to differentiate.

We say meat as "Goash" instead of "Mangsho". Some people say we say it since "Mangsho" is "Maer ongsho". If you donnot belief these things I have nothing to say but these are facts of our life.

No mainly Bangladeshis say that, Muslims here say Jol and Mangso just like Hindus.

Even giving "Fhool" on the "Bedi" of "Shahid Minor" is also not accepted in Islam. What is this "Shahid Bedi" means. Does not the term has come from Hindu religion. Well we belief on "Milad Mahfil".

Lol don't you have some Shahid Bedi for those killed in Bhasha andolon? :lol:

@ Ok, Abir, I accept some of yours points. But I tell you "Puthir Gun" was made on the inspiration of Persian and Arabic culture. I am not just telling you for argument seek I read in a Bengal history book. You see, who bothers for all these small matters but if you look deeply than it matters a lot. If we follow the Bengalee Culture "tow, tow" than we will become half Hindu. As because most of the Bengalee culture arrived from Hindu religion. We have to differentiate all these values otherwise we all become "Tashlema Nasrin", in the long run which you want, " Meche ai simana" .

@ Eastwatch. There is gulf of difference between the West Bengal Bengalee culture and our Bangladeshi Bengalee culture. It had been settled through various movement. Let me explain a little bit with my knowlege:

1. We the Bangalee muslim never belief on "Mongol Prodip or Mongol Jatra" but this is being followed by West Bengalees. They start each and every work with "Mongol prodip". Now-a-days some of our people are following without realising it. Specially in our country there some cultural organisation like "Udichi", "Joy Bangla Sangscrity Gushti"etc. These cultural organisation always starts the work with "Mongal Prodip". Many a time it had been proved that these organisation are been financed by RAW.

2. It is said that in Hindu religion there is a "Baro mashe tero puja"(in 12 months there is 13 pujas) so it is related with various "Malas"(Fair) and with various seasons. Since initially we were Bengalee and than we become muslim we have to forgo all these various "Malas" and functions. In our religion we have our own function like two Eids, "Shobebarat", Shabemiraj", "Eid Miladun-nabi" etc. These songs and various hindu related functions were restricted in our religion. Now, you would ask where it is written ?

3. In Muslim Bengalee culture we follow "Puther Gun" but in Hindu culture they follow "Kobir Gun". As you know the Persian and Arabic culture was very rich in 15/16 century. At that time we the Bengalee muslims used to follow the Bengalee as a "kuththo Basha" and higher classes people used to read Arabic, Persi, Turkey etc. So, the common people did not had the capability to read and write. So, the Persian and Arabic schoolars invented this "Puthir Gun" and through this "Puthir Gun" the Islamic history and various other events were narrated and soon it became so popular in this Bengal that Hindus were in problem. Soon, the Hindu Schoolars also discover the alternative of this "Puthir Gun" and they invented "Kobir Gun". Although many Hindu schoolar also used this "Puthir Gun" in their religion. It was through this "Puthir Gun" for 3 to 4 centuries the Islam was spread in this area and their tradations were kept intact.

4. We the Muslims of Bengal always say water as "Pani" instead of "Jol" just to differentiate.

5. We wear "Lungi" instead of "Dhoti". This was the influence of "Wahabi Movement". Since than we also started our name on the line of Muslim.

6. We say meat as "Goash" instead of "Mangsho". Some people say we say it since "Mangsho" is "Maer ongsho". If you donnot belief these things I have nothing to say but these are facts of our life.

7. We never give a "Fuller Mala" on a picture of deceased person.

8. Even giving "Fhool" on the "Bedi" of "Shahid Minor" is also not accepted in Islam. What is this "Shahid Bedi" means. Does not the term has come from Hindu religion. Well we belief on "Milad Mahfil".

9. The Bengalee true women never gives "Tip" on the forehead. That is why you would find that Indian Muslim girls/women and Pakistani girl/women never give "Tip".

Thank you sir. I couldn't have explain any better. We must draw line some where. They way Awami and it's Islamic name Tagore loving mushriks intellectual importing Hindu culture from west bengal, our Islamic culture will be seize to exist if we do not encounter them with iron fists.

10. We generally follow some Arabic and Persian words in our day to day life very frequently. This is our tradition and we are proud of that. Like "Mashallah, Alhamdullah, Inshallah etc".

We used say word like khushamdeed, shabba khair and so on yet all most no one use these words now a days due to Tagorize our Bangla language by munafiq intellectuals.

Bismillah, salam and khuda hafiz all most absence from all electronic media and I have notice female news anchor doesn't even wear hijab any more during Ramazan since Al Munafiqs came to office.

Islamic rooted party like BNP failed miserably to encounter them Munafiqs. :angry:

Sometime I wonder, whether you are true to yourself or a faker pretending to something yet something else all together. :what:

You have impressive knowledge when it comes to Islam in Bangladesh yet you asking me to differentiate even though you know what I meant. please do not loose your credibility with such a silly question :disagree:

Please read Md Akmal post where he explain the difference. :tup:

Why didn't we keep the name East Pakistan since we led the movement and created Pakistan? I am curious. :undecided:

Dude the 1971 movement was against Pakistan so why would they adopt the name East-Pakistan after they attained independence ? If you dont appreciate what your ancestors did for your country then atleast dont insult their memory with your blinded Islamic views.

Sometime I wonder, whether you are true to yourself or a faker pretending to something yet something else all together. :what:

You have impressive knowledge when it comes to Islam in Bangladesh yet you asking me to differentiate even though you know what I meant. please do not loose your credibility with such a silly question :disagree:

Please read Md Akmal post where he explain the difference. :tup:

Just because he does not agree with your lob sided views on Bangladesh, it does not mean he is faking his identity which by the way is much more Bangladeshi that yours. The real doubt is on your identity with the way you support Pakistan even in the context of 1971.

Dude the 1971 movement was against Pakistan so why would they adopt the name East-Pakistan after they attained independence ? If you dont appreciate what your ancestors did for your country then atleast dont insult their memory with your blinded Islamic views.

Abbey naam ne kab mara aur naam se kaya panga aur ye Bangadesh kaha se aaya aur ye Bangladesh howa toh kaya farak para? Islam abhi bi zindah hay Bangladesh may, toh Mashriqi Pakistan re jata toh kaya mushkilat ho ta :what:

^Mangso is a Tôdbhôbo(তদ্ভব) word, তৎসম tôtshômo cognate of which is Aamish(sanskrit Aamisha).

Hey guys; what's cooking now? "Mangshor Jhol" or "Kosha Mangsho"?
So will that become "Goasher Jhol"?
"Goash" is actually a aberration, the root word is "Gosht". Is that difficult to say in Bengali?

Back
Top Bottom