What's new

10 Greatest pistols of all times

Yaduveer

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
1. Colt 1911 .45 ACP
The first successful military semi-auto handgun, it served the as the standard U.S. sidearm through four major wars and countless police actions. As popular today as ever, it is still carried by some law enforcement personnel and countless civilians. The most customized handgun ever, it's a mainstay for competition shooters.
3_colt_1911.jpg

2. Browning Hi Power
The P-35 High Power was John Browning's last handgun design. Some experts consider it his best. Still in production, and in use with LE and Military agencies in many countries, it was the first staggered magazine high capacity handgun – a design breakthrough that spawned many other successful designs.Indian security agencies uses licensed copy of this pistol.
7_browning_hi-power.jpg

3. Walther P-38
Adopted by the German military, the Walther P-38 was an acceptable performer. It's most sterling feature,however, is that it was the first successful DA/SA operating action. It was a pioneering design breakthrough that became a feature of many other successful handguns, including our current military issue M-9.
6_Walter_p38.jpg

4. Makarov
Introduced during 1951 in Soviet Union and remain service till 1991.Blowback mechanism,DA/SA,fixed barrel and less moving parts make it to live up to Soviet Standard:reliable,accurate and cheap firearm.However caliber is slightly different than 9x19mm NATO round to 9.22x18mm.
Makarov-firearm-web.jpg

5. CZ 75

Introduced in 1975, the CZ 75 was the most innovative handgun design of the previous 40 years. The first successful pistol offering user option of cocked & locked SA, or DA/SA carry, it is in widespread use throughout the world, and a favorite of many current competitive shooters.This gun is heavily influenced by Browning Hi Power but with Double Action/Single Action mechanism.
11_cz_75.jpg

6.Glock G17

The polymer-framed Glock 17 was controversial upon introduction. But history validates it. As the first successful polymer-framed handgun, it spawned a sea change within the industry, and today every major handgun maker has a polymer-frame model. And, they are wildly popular. Thank you, Gaston Glock!
Glock17.jpg

7. Walther PP, PP/K, PP/Ks

Few handguns point as naturally as the classic Walther PP series pistols. Through their innovative lockwork, which allowed a double-action pull for the first shot and single-action pulls for subsequent shots along with a manual safety that also acted as a decocker, Walther engineers proved that a semi-automatic design could be just as safe to carry, and as fast to action, as a revolver. A fixed barrel and remarkably useful sights allowed for superb accuracy for a pocket piece.
Walther-PPK-Pistol.jpg

8.Beretta 92

The Beretta 92 is of Italian origin and was an extremely popular gun in the military and law enforcement communities. It also fires the popular 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge. The pistol has been in production since 1975 and continues its service in the Italian, French and US military.
1287740238.jpg

9. S&W Model 41

The S&W Model 41 .22LR pistol became legendary among competitive target shooters, . Extremely reliable, precisely accurate, and possessing a unique trigger, the S&W Model 41 dominated NRA Outdoor Pistol competition consistently until the manufacturing costs of the required hand-fitting severely reduced production. Those that own the pistol today cherish them.
74320.jpg

10. FN Five-seven

Name is derived from caliber of round 5.7x28mm which NATO has issued as a replacement of 9x19mm Parabellum .It is a lightweight polymer-based weapon with a large magazine capacity, ambidextrous controls, low recoil, and the ability to penetrate body armor when using certain cartridge types.Special Protection Group(SPG) of India uses this pistol as a replacement for Glock among other 40 major countries.

300px-FN5701.jpg

I think colt 1911 was the licensed production of Browning Hi Power. So Browning Hi Power will be on the top on list & also one blank place in top 10.

No ! 1911 and Browning HP are two different pistols as later has 13 rounds in staggered Fashion while 1911 has 8 rounds in linear Fashion. Although both were designed by Browning.

Indian licensed production of Browning high power is still the standard issue pistol in IA.

Dude ..Why you left the legendary Luger Pistol, I think this list is incomplete without this one. It remained standard side arm service pistol of many European army, specially German army for around 50 years.

13750918_1.jpg

Wtx the price of Beretta? and desert eagle in pakistan???

What model? D.E is not worth it, but if you let me know what model of Beretta you aew after, mabye i can help.

how can u say D.E worth it it'x the owesome Pistol i have ever seen...by look n perfomance...

Dad has exactly this one in mint condition.

Dude ..Why you left the legendary Luger Pistol, I think this list is incomplete without this one. It remained standard side arm service pistol of many European army, specially German army for around 50 years.

13750918_1.jpg

My personal list would be:

Beretta M9
Glock 17 Gen 4
CZ 75
Smith and Wesson M&P

I can see all celebrities here.. for some reason i can't bring myself to "like" this thread.

"Greatests" by which unit of measure? Makarov and Beretta aren't even worth mentioning because they didn't bring any change. On the other hand 1911 and 5.7 came with two new types of ammunition and Glock has changed the material of the handgun. They aren't even in the same league :)

I can see all celebrities here.. for some reason i can't bring myself to "like" this thread.

"Greatests" by which unit of measure? Makarov and Beretta aren't even worth mentioning because they didn't bring any change. On the other hand 1911 and 5.7 came with two new types of ammunition and Glock has changed the material of the handgun. They aren't even in the same league :)

For me a great handgun needs to be reliable, dependable and has to feel right in the hand... I haven't shot any 5.7 hence font know much about it. I am not a big fan of .45 acp either. Beretta M9/ 92FS imo is a good pistol because of it's reliability, it's solid construction (despite initial issues), and the build quality is exceptional.

Makarov are poor mans 0.380 pistol (9mm makarov is pretty close to the .380), it is again a solidly constructed, exceptionally reliable and bang for a buck conceal carry pistol.

Pistols aren't technological wonders, atleast havent been for a while now... The list i guess is mostly personal and sometimes based upon the popularity.

M9, Glock 17, Cz75, S&W M&P and HK USP all are more or less in the same league.

@sand_3126
to be reliable and to "feel right in the hand" is a goal for all handguns.

But 5.7 and glock are pro pistols, Beretta 92 and browning hi-power are service pistols, walther PPk and Makarov are compacts. It'd be kinda silly to compare them with each other don't you think? and almost no pistol mentioned above is the best of it's kind.

For a pro pistol I'd take H&K USP for instance. .45 ACP gives you a lot of firepower. I also think Sig Sauer P210 is much better than 92F ...but does it make it a revolutionary design? nope

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom