What's new

Vidya Balan in love with Pakistani dramas

I had left Pakistani dramas after fall of PTV but dramas like Mann Mayal and Udhari have brought me back in. Come on guys these are pretty good ones.

The comedy dramas are still ok

Chup raho(rape),Ye mera dewana pan hay(old woman young man story) were different
dont know I dont watch them, they are supposed to be for women only(most of them)... now a days even men watch them.

For me if i want a dose of 'social issues' i would read news paper or follow Pakistani news channels they have to offer plenty on this subject.
Sure, however
THERE IS AN OLD SAYING: “YOU CAN’T REALLY UNDERSTAND ANOTHER PERSON’S EXPERIENCE UNTIL YOU’VE WALKED A MILE IN THEIR SHOES.”

Entertainment is entertainment shouldn't be confused with Reality Checks
No one is confusing it...just experiencing it - if you cant feel it then either the actors suck or you lack empathy!

All the points that you have raised exactly define what i already mentioned in my post 'a lil twist here and there'& 'innocent character' Actual story really does revolve around a guy and a girl.
Well, that is your way of thinking, those points I have raised, in the drama they appear, the love story is a part of it to let the person have that escape from reality that entertainment is there to provide while the remaining of the story does illustrate the plot shows a glimpse into the other's life..

Funny thing is these dramas are far from reality, love is part of our lives but not they only thing that drives us in the real world. There is no action there, no thrill, no adventure, no motivational stories.

So a woman surviving oppression, a woman loosing half her face and still managing to live, a woman being divorced for the lust of another, a man being disowned and starting from scratch, a story about the struggles of a family doesnt motivate you? Then do stick to Hollywood :enjoy:

Drama in every nation from Brazil to Thailand is about issues involved in their nation with love stories....movies on the other hand are for your trill and adventure...

Remeber Dhuwaan(police), ABC(army), Des Pardes(comedy & ghosts), Ainak wala jin ( Kids), Andhera Ujala(Crime) see the difference?
ABC also had love story but coz you didnt wanna see it doesnt mean it didnt exist! Dhuwaan also...

Pyare Afzal(Guy & a girl thing),
Havent watched this so no comment

Zindagi Gulzar hay (Guy & a girl thing)
I found this to do "more" with a girls struggle to trust in men after what her dad did and made her live through if you only concentrated on the boy and girl thin that seriously is your problem of not being able to see anything past the boy and girl and prob ignoring the whole psychology of the girl....Even psychologists have reported that a girl brought up without a father figures does have issues adjusting to society!

Hamsafar(Guy & a girl thing)
Again it shows what you looked for...The drama was about typical mothers of Pakistan where they pamper their sons soo much they think he is their property and think they have absolute control! It is reality in Pakistan and this drama and few others have shown it very well but if society overlooks the issue raised you get the "typical unchangeable society"...Because change only comes when you want to due to realizing something isnt right not when you see no reason to!

i think u r too young and haven't seen the PTV and STN drama's of 80's and 90's

dude we are from different era we cant like these drama as much as we did the ones in 80s similarly they dont like those dramas...different times, different issues, different tastes.

i think @jamahir would certainly like to visit this thread.. :whistle:

thanks for the tag.

i saw this thread after i logged-off last night and was just browsing through but was too sleepy to make a post.

my introduction to pakistani tv dramas was i think when the 'zee zindagi' channel promos began airing in late 2013 or early 2014 showing clips of 'aunn zara' among others... what occurred to me was the difference in the social mores among pakistani muslims and most modern indian muslims... in the last 20 or 15 years most indian muslims dress and act as if under taliban rule... my second observation was i did not see garish dressing of the actors ( heavy jewellery, heavy saris, the "elder of the house" being a old man with constant strict expression etc )... and then there was definite time-line of the pakistani serials and this fact was publicized.

there were many progressive and realistic serials on the indian national semi-government tv channel, doordarshan ( hindi ), in the 90's, from what i remember from the late 90's at least... @Zibago @django @Moonlight @Levina @Mentee will remember my posting of a song from the indian serial 'farmaan' that was set within a hyderabadi nawab scenario of the early 90's... another superb serial was 'flop show' created by the comedian, the late jaspal bhatti, and this serial doordarshan is running presently... the serial is a satire sitcom set in various middle class, bureaucracy and other situations... watch one episode below :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=25qVt6B16TM

and then satellite tv happened to india and out came mostly crass serials that catered to the jaahil elements of indian society and this actually was one of the reasons why india is now so much more reactionary, callous, crime-prone and nationalist than in earlier decades... these serials undid what the progressives achieved over decades.

coming back to pakistani serials in india, i have the 'tata sky' service and it doesn't carry the 'zee zindagi' channel... i don't know which service is carrying the serials... or are vidya balan and other celebrities watching these serials on youtube??

nevertheless, a thought occurred to me yesterday - do we really need tv serials?? can't stories be told entirely in cinema, say of 3 hours or 4 hours even??

for example, the pakistani serial 'main abdul qadir hoon' that was introduced to me by zibago, can be a good film :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xuctQmsMo

@BDforever , your views?? this can be the revival of bangladeshi cinema.

Even psychologists have reported that a girl brought up without a father figures does have issues adjusting to society!

like what??

edit : and what kind of society??

Last edited:
For me if i want a dose of 'social issues' i would read news paper or follow Pakistani news channels they have to offer plenty on this subject. Entertainment is entertainment shouldn't be confused with Reality Checks. All the points that you have raised exactly define what i already mentioned in my post 'a lil twist here and there'& 'innocent character' Actual story really does revolve around a guy and a girl. Funny thing is these dramas are far from reality, love is part of our lives but not they only thing that drives us in the real world. There is no action there, no thrill, no adventure, no motivational stories. Remeber Dhuwaan(police), ABC(army), Des Pardes(comedy & ghosts), Ainak wala jin ( Kids), Andhera Ujala(Crime) see the difference? Compare these to let's just say Pyare Afzal(Guy & a girl thing), Zindagi Gulzar hay (Guy & a girl thing), Hamsafar(Guy & a girl thing) and this boring list goes on.

Chup Raho (Guy and a girl thing with some insanely fictional innocent main character) Yeh mera dewana pan(Still guy and a girl thing with lil twist: age difference) More or less the main focus is always on one thing. I do like the song from yeh mera dewana pan.
Bulbulay,Dastan,Main abdul qadir hoan,ye rah mushkil nahe,mera saeen,fasel e jaan sey agey,ye junoon and if you get tired of this you could watch sarey aam and puke all iver the place :D

while pak makes much better dramas, bollywood nowdays make fantastic movies.

Sure, however

No one is confusing it...just experiencing it - if you cant feel it then either the actors suck or you lack empathy!

Well, that is your way of thinking, those points I have raised, in the drama they appear, the love story is a part of it to let the person have that escape from reality that entertainment is there to provide while the remaining of the story does illustrate the plot shows a glimpse into the other's life..

So a woman surviving oppression, a woman loosing half her face and still managing to live, a woman being divorced for the lust of another, a man being disowned and starting from scratch, a story about the struggles of a family doesnt motivate you? Then do stick to Hollywood :enjoy:

Drama in every nation from Brazil to Thailand is about issues involved in their nation with love stories....movies on the other hand are for your trill and adventure...

ABC also had love story but coz you didnt wanna see it doesnt mean it didnt exist! Dhuwaan also...

Havent watched this so no comment

I found this to do "more" with a girls struggle to trust in men after what her dad did and made her live through if you only concentrated on the boy and girl thin that seriously is your problem of not being able to see anything past the boy and girl and prob ignoring the whole psychology of the girl....Even psychologists have reported that a girl brought up without a father figures does have issues adjusting to society!

Again it shows what you looked for...The drama was about typical mothers of Pakistan where they pamper their sons soo much they think he is their property and think they have absolute control! It is reality in Pakistan and this drama and few others have shown it very well but if society overlooks the issue raised you get the "typical unchangeable society"...Because change only comes when you want to due to realizing something isnt right not when you see no reason to!
Its a matter of personal opinion not every one likes to get embroiled in social issues all the time, nothing to do with empathy rather more about entertainment.
Life doesn't revolve around women, they are so many aspects that are more important than just trying fictional innocence 24/7
Seriously? I guess you have never heard of Game of Thrones, Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead, Arrow, Supernatural and other fantasy based serials which are way more popular than these love stricken Pakistani dramas.

Yes ABC did have love aspect so do all other movies and shows but they don't only concentrate on just two characters, looking for love or fighting all odds to preserve love. For instance ABC contained plenty of action scenes shot at Bosnia & Siachin. It showed problems that exist beyond a woman and a man's companionship. Most of the Pakistani drama's today revolve around a man and a woman and that is it. There are no exclusive kids dramas and even if kids are there then it probably would be some predictable story about marriage/financial troubles of parents. Pakistani serials are more in line with Bollywood crappy movies, no matter what, everything revolves around a guy and girl. Sure next time there is a popular Pakistani drama, you can extract "Psychological disorders" from it but trust me it still would revolve around a girl and a guy. On they other hand they can also make a drama about a girl having to put up with Psychological issues and trying to make big in life without having any distractions in the form of love, because in the real world that is exactly how things roll. People with troubles are least concerned about finding love. Period

Bulbulay,Dastan,Main abdul qadir hoan,ye rah mushkil nahe,mera saeen,fasel e jaan sey agey,ye junoon and if you get tired of this you could watch sarey aam and puke all iver the place :D
Bulbulay is a sitcom, would be hardly considered a drama. Despite all the hype its nowhere as close as Family Front and Shashlik.
Abdul Qadir (Innocent character, this time its a male who is being chased by women.Yes very different indeed. lol)
Dastan Love story during partition of Indian subcontinent...............YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!
One or two drama occasionally on a different topic hardly makes any difference when the 95% are confined to a narrow story base.

thanks for the tag.

i saw this thread after i logged-off last night and was just browsing through but was too sleepy to make a post.

my introduction to pakistani tv dramas was i think when the 'zee zindagi' channel promos began airing in late 2013 or early 2014 showing clips of 'aunn zara' among others... what occurred to me was the difference in the social mores among pakistani muslims and most modern indian muslims... in the last 20 or 15 years most indian muslims dress and act as if under taliban rule... my second observation was i did not see garish dressing of the actors ( heavy jewellery, heavy saris, the "elder of the house" being a old man with constant strict expression etc )... and then there was definite time-line of the pakistani serials and this fact was publicized.

there were many progressive and realistic serials on the indian national semi-government tv channel, doordarshan ( hindi ), in the 90's, from what i remember from the late 90's at least... @Zibago @django @Moonlight @Levina @Mentee will remember my posting of a song from the indian serial 'farmaan' that was set within a hyderabadi nawab scenario of the early 90's... another superb serial was 'flop show' created by the comedian, the late jaspal bhatti, and this serial doordarshan is running presently... the serial is a satire sitcom set in various middle class, bureaucracy and other situations... watch one episode below :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=25qVt6B16TM

and then satellite tv happened to india and out came mostly crass serials that catered to the jaahil elements of indian society and this actually was one of the reasons why india is now so much more reactionary, callous and nationalist than in earlier decades... these serials undid what the progressives achieved over decades.

coming back to pakistani serials in india, i have the 'tata sky' service and it doesn't carry the 'zee zindagi' channel... i don't know which service is carrying the serials... or are vidya balan and other celebrities watching these serials on youtube??

nevertheless, a thought occurred to me yesterday - do we really need tv serials?? can't stories be told entirely in cinema, say of 3 hours or 4 hours even??

for example, the pakistani serial 'main abdul qadir hoon' that was introduced to me by zibago, can be a good film :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xuctQmsMo

@BDforever , your views?? this can be the revival of bangladeshi cinema.

like what??

edit : and what kind of society??

So how is Zee Zindagi channel doing? do they get more ratings then Ekta Kapoor 's saas bahu serials?

Sp how is Zee Zindagi channel doing? do they get more ratings then Ekta Kapoor 's saas bahu serials?

firstly, there's confusion about which satellite service it is actually on ( there were some objections about its broadcast in 2015 ) which is why i presume that many of the indians who are liking the pakistani serials are watching them on internet.

secondly, about the ratings, please be assured that india's idiotic mothers ( a big number, sadly ) will keep the saas bahu dramas and the mythologicals and superstitions set presently, in good money spinning and in high ratings. :D

for example, there is the serial 'naagin' about shape-shifting female snakes who want to extract revenge from a old-money family... this supposedly has very high ratings and was recently satirized in 'comedy nights bachao' where the anchor, krishna, says of the serial - "highest trp, lowest logic". :lol:

Last edited:
for example, there is the serial 'naagin' about shape-shifting female snakes who want to extract revenge from a family... this supposedly has very high ratings and was recently satirized in 'comedy nights bachao' where the anchor, krishna, says of the serial - "highest trp, lowest logic". :lol:

:rofl::rofl: lol..

Its a matter of personal opinion not every one likes to get embroiled in social issues all the time, nothing to do with empathy rather more about entertainment.
Life doesn't revolve around women, they are so many aspects that are more important than just trying fictional innocence 24/7
Seriously? I guess you have never heard of Game of Thrones, Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead, Arrow, Supernatural and other fantasy based serials which are way more popular than these love stricken Pakistani dramas.

Yes ABC did have love aspect so do all other movies and shows but they don't only concentrate on just two characters, looking for love or fighting all odds to preserve love. For instance ABC contained plenty of action scenes shot at Bosnia & Siachin. It showed problems that exist beyond a woman and a man's companionship. Most of the Pakistani drama's today revolve around a man and a woman and that is it. There are no exclusive kids dramas and even if kids are there then it probably would be some predictable story about marriage/financial troubles of parents. Pakistani serials are more in line with Bollywood crappy movies, no matter what, everything revolves around a guy and girl. Sure next time there is a popular Pakistani drama, you can extract "Psychological disorders" from it but trust me it still would revolve around a girl and a guy. On they other hand they can also make a drama about a girl having to put up with Psychological issues and trying to make big in life without having any distractions in the form of love, because in the real world that is exactly how things roll. People with troubles are least concerned about finding love. Period

Bulbulay is a sitcom, would be hardly considered a drama. Despite all the hype its nowhere as close as Family Front and Shashlik.
Abdul Qadir (Innocent character, this time its a male who is being chased by women.Yes very different indeed. lol)
Dastan Love story during partition of Indian subcontinent...............YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!
One or two drama occasionally on a different topic hardly makes any difference when the 95% are confined to a narrow story base.
Nah the only US dramas i watched were sitcoms two and a half men,big bang theory and new girl watched madmen and csi for a while then i got bored of it never watched gotc

He wasnt being chased in the begining it was a story of how a geeky guy has to change under peer pressure comeon man it was like he was telling every teen,s story we all go through the phase where we start smoking to get in the "IT' crowd

They want to tell stories but they also want ratings so they mix it up i think Daastan was pretty spot on discussing the attrocities Muslims faced during partition

Most dramas are based on hit novels written by women

Nah the only US dramas i watched were sitcoms two and a half men,big bang theory and new girl watched madmen and csi for a while then i got bored of it never watched gotc

He wasnt being chased in the begining it was a story of how a geeky guy has to change under peer pressure comeon man it was like he was telling every teen,s story we all go through the phase where we start smoking to get in the "IT' crowd

They want to tell stories but they also want ratings so they mix it up i think Daastan was pretty spot on discussing the attrocities Muslims faced during partition

Most dramas are based on hit novels written by women
LOL no i wasn't pointing at you about the US serials was just making a point for Akheilos to understand. Anyways tell me your interests and ill advise you some and trust me if you wont fall in love with those then ill give you a treat, unless you like chick stuff, which really isnt my territory.
Pakistani drams of today lack variety. This is what i have been saying all along. The main focus is always on LOVE/MARRIAGE with little portrayal of other things which could be so many like the ones you mentioned.
Ahhh the novel part explains why women like to watch these serials, since they are designed to cater to their demands by women. As Dean says "he hate chick flicks", these are 'Chick dramas' and i don't like them. :pop:

Back
Top Bottom