What's new

Today's Pakistan: Conservative or Progressive?

I am also conservative, but it doesn't mean the country will not develop.

Islam promotes Science and rational thinking.

I was talking about Pasoori, it is a shame that Joyland was allowed in the "Islamic" Republic of Pakistan.
Oh right yeah, in the music department we have actually been doing very good. For the first time in my life my brother was playing Balochi and Pashto songs from coke studio and I was genuinely shocked 🤣🤣🤣🤣

About joyland, it was banned in some parts IIRC. Probably unbanned now.

Oh right yeah, in the music department we have actually been doing very good. For the first time in my life my brother was playing Balochi and Pashto songs from coke studio and I was genuinely shocked 🤣🤣🤣🤣

10 years ago that was UNTHINKABLE. Pashto and Balochi topping the charts in Pakistan and being played in a mainstream context is crazy.

Kaifi Khalil is a good Baloch singer, he has a lot of talent.

About joyland, it was banned in some parts IIRC. Probably unbanned now.

Sindh is the fortress of wokeness.

That's why I always say PPP is more of a national security threat than Afghans.

10 years ago that was UNTHINKABLE. Pashto and Balochi topping the charts in Pakistan and being played in a mainstream context is crazy.

Kaifi Khalil is a good Baloch singer, he has a lot of talent.
My brother is disconnected from Pakistan so to even here any language apart from Pahari/English is rare asf. I thought I had left something playing.

Both of the languages sound good in my opinion but I like the rhythm of some Pashto songs, this is a banger:

That's why I always say PPP is more of a national security threat than Afghans.
Excellent point. Democracy, freedom and related degeneracies are the real cancer that we failed to recognize before and after 47.

Credit goes to Chinese again. They shunted any western influence on their populace, especially the youth.

I find your post confusing. You denigrate the "Liberal progressives" like Fatima Bhutto who in general should be the ones guiding Pakistan other than committed leftists like Arooj Aurangzeb, but you also condemn the enemies of the progressives - the mullahs, who are actually not Arabized ideologically but totally Hindutvatized via the Deoband ideology but these mullahs certainly put on Arab elements like wearing thawb ( at least some "Muslims" do in my neighborhood and I also see this in Britain ) and adding "Arab" to the names of their madrasas. So who are you condemning ?
Like I said communism is a variant of paganised christianity. No wonder, bharti pagans start salivating at hoping that muslims will return to days of jahliya.
I mean, apart from RSS propaganda points, what the **** is a thawb? And if wearing it is called an Arabization? No wonder, Allah Pak promised the strongest of azabs for people like you.

Technology is just technology, there is no eastern, western, liberal, conservative, you just have technology.

What is your obsession with "western", is it an inferiority complex?

A moderate Islamic society will always be the best with freedom of speech and discussion while being traditional and conservative but not on the extreme end.

It's called Pakistan, not America or Britain. Their idea of how they want to shape their society and culture will be rooted in their own history. Now our upbringing in foreign lands.
Not true.
Technology is a product of culture and western culture has produced the tech we have.
Now smart nations, like Japan, Korea, and China copied the parts of western culture and knowledge that was useful to them and now they are prospering. Unfortunately, people like you have prevented our civilization from doing so, so here we are, forever in a pre-industrial state and a failed civilization.

you are the one obsessed with "not going western" which is an indication of your inferiority complex.

Unicorns will always be the best horses.
In the land of make believe both unicorns and "moderate Islamic societies" exist.
In the real world, neither of those do or can exist.

Bro, Pakistan LITERALLY exists due to them.
They have shaped our nation, our culture, our very DNA.
The only difference between us and Japan/China is that Japan/China were smart enough to learn from the west and thus they became masters of their destiny.
Where as we shut our eyes and ears and said "lalalala"
The west said "lol" and enslaved us.
Our destiny is literally in their hands because we refuse to learn "western" knowledge/culture.

Not true.
Technology is a product of culture and western culture has produced the tech we have.
Now smart nations, like Japan, Korea, and China copied the parts of western culture and knowledge that was useful to them and now they are prospering. Unfortunately, people like you have prevented our civilization from doing so, so here we are, forever in a pre-industrial state and a failed civilization.

you are the one obsessed with "not going western" which is an indication of your inferiority complex.

Unicorns will always be the best horses.
In the land of make believe both unicorns and "moderate Islamic societies" exist.
In the real world, neither of those do or can exist.

Bro, Pakistan LITERALLY exists due to them.
They have shaped our nation, our culture, our very DNA.
The only difference between us and Japan/China is that Japan/China were smart enough to learn from the west and thus they became masters of their destiny.
Where as we shut our eyes and ears and said "lalalala"
The west said "lol" and enslaved us.
Our destiny is literally in their hands because we refuse to learn "western" knowledge/culture.
Cure your inferiority complex.

Going "western" in terms of your entire lifestyle and political set-up is not the same as creating an environment conductive for technological advancements and research.

And do you think Pakistan is not trying to cultivate that environment? 🤡 There are countless steps they've taken towards that goal.

Your own example of China literally disproves your point who are the complete opposite of the western, democratic, free speech society and whatever else you worship. Even on the topic of conservatism - they are a socially conservative/traditional society with certain adjustments to accommodate technological and economic growth purely.

America itself was socially conservative for a large part of history while it sat on top of the economic ladder and technological advancements - churning out F-16s.

Homosexuality was literally classified as mental disorder by the US, while they were producing technology like the F-16.

The only thing which has prevented your country from getting any further is due to the rampant corruption and nepotism present at every level of society - and the shallow minded leaders it has had with absolutely no vision and horrible governance.

Last edited:
Today's Pakistan is nothing but KURAA kachera
Waiting for nuke bomb of some type to wipe out its problems
I am on a f***** visit this country & feel like taking next flight back!!! But I persistent and tolerating this mess.

İ follow more moderate
brah... with this kind of talk, you will be mullah mob lynched so fast.
Isn't is wonderful that Pakistani society won't lift a finger for useful pursuits, but will outright murder people for hurting their religious feels.

Yet here we are, on western technology, speaking a western language, debating about western concepts.
What does "go western" even mean?
Literally our entire existence is "western"
Our mosques use western tech in their speakers and even structures, our Quran is printed used western printing presses.

I don't understand this obsession with "not going western"
İ follow more moderate society where you must have balance if both things

Pakistani actor Sanam Saeed on Bollywood in Pakistan

Personally, I am more of a Hollywood binge watcher. But the whole of Pakistan has been raised on Bollywood, from our grandparents to us, we know Madhubala, Kareena Kapoor stuff to now Deepika. We have seen all the generations. We have literally grown-up consuming Bollywood, the song, the dance, the culture, the way they eat, the way they do pooja. Hum sab jaante hai Indian mein kya hota hai (We know what happens in India).

But India doesn’t know what happens in Pakistan. Kuch bhi nahi pata, hum log kis tarah daal chawal khaate hai, woh andaaz alag hota hai (Indian’s don’t know how we eat, how we are). The way we wear salwar kameez, tie our hair, there are these small differences. We know the difference between what an Indian choti (braid) is, but I don’t think India knows what the Pakistani choti is like. These small nuances are there. When ZEE Zindagi launched, then India saw, ‘Oh this is how they wear their clothes, this is how they interact’, how independent women are here also. That was interesting to see.

---------

In 2022 alone, major Pakistani artistes crossed borders to create global waves. Actors Fawad Khan-Mahira Khan starrer heavy-duty actioner The Legend of Maula Jatt scripted box office history while the poignant drama Joyland found a place in Oscar’s best International Film shortlist. In music, Arooj Aftab became the first-ever Pakistani artiste to win a Grammy Award and the internet’s favourite musician Ali Sethi delivered the magnetic ‘Pasoori’– billed by many as a track which “united India and Pakistan”.

Amidst all the elation–and attention–Pakistani star Sanam Saeed feels proud of what the country has managed to achieve. One of the biggest names of the industry and a beloved name in India, thanks to her hit show Zindagi Gulzar Hai, Sanam Saeed says the Pakistani industry is currently “thriving”.

The actor’s jubilation is also backed with awards: her Zindagi original show Qatil Haseenaon Ke Naam won Gold at Promax India awards 2022 and Asian Academy Creative Awards for best anthology, which she received alongside Pakistani actor Sarwat Gilani, Indian producer Shailja Kejriwal (Chief Creative Officer – Special Projects, Zee Entertainment) and British-Indian director Meenu Gaur.

In an interview with indianexpress.com, Sanam opens up about the importance of more collaboration between India and Pakistan, how politics can fracture the beauty of art, the kind of Indian content she grew up watching and how India learnt very late–and perhaps still hasn’t, completely– what life in Pakistan is.

This was a huge win because it was a collaboration between India and Pakistan. Two similar mindsets, cultures, countries coming together to tell a universal story, made mostly by women. The fact that it came from these two nations is proof that when great minds come together, great things happen. You can achieve so much together, it’s a huge support for both team players… It was amazing, satisfying and humbling.

Does it sadden you that we don’t have more of these collaborations. Except for Zindagi, there is nothing.

Honestly, we are over it. There was a time when a lot of this would happen. We had Kara Film Festival, we had Indian actors coming to Pakistan, our actors went there, Bollywood opened the doors. It has always been a hot and cold situation. We are finally at a place where we don’t get our hopes up too high. Each party is very comfortable with where they are in terms of the work they are doing, respectively

2 missing teenage girls in #Pakistan who ran away to meet #BTS found by police 750 miles from home. #KPOP has a huge following in Pakistan, with fans spanning age groups and genders. #Korean #dramas are gaining popularity as well. #music #entertainment https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/asia/bts-pakistan-teenage-girls-missing-intl-hnk

Two teenage girls reported missing in Pakistan last week have been found more than 750 miles from home after attempting to travel to South Korea to meet K-pop super band BTS, police in the South Asian country said.

The two girls, aged 13 and 14, went missing on Saturday from Korangi in Karachi city, said Abraiz Ali Abbasi, a senior police superintendent of the area.

During a search of their homes, police found a diary that revealed their plans to travel to South Korea to meet the supergroup BTS, Abbasi said in a video statement.

“From the diary we saw mentions of train timetables and that they had been planning to run away with another friend of theirs … who we then interviewed,” Abassi said.

“We started tracking them aggressively and found out they were in custody of the police in the city of Lahore where they had traveled by train.”

Abbasi said arrangements for the girls to be taken back home to Karachi have been made in coordination with police in Lahore.

And he made an appeal for parents to “please monitor their children’s screen time,” so they’re more aware of what their children are viewing online.

“It isn’t a surprise that two teenagers took this risk because ‘stans’ are capable of doing this for their idols,” said culture journalist Rabia Mehmood, using a colloquial term for loyal fans. “But if we had more safe organized fan-girling spaces, younger fans could engage openly and freely with each other about their favorites instead of taking such risks.”

K-pop has a huge following all over the world, including Pakistan, with fans spanning age groups and genders. BTS posters and albums are sold all over the South Asian country, while Korean dramas are gaining popularity as well.

The seven-member Korean sensation BTS took a hiatus late last year, as its oldest member began mandatory military service last month. Jin, 30, started his military service on December 13, a commitment expected to last 18 months.

BTS is set to be kept apart until at least 2025 as other members of the group come of age to enter military bootcamps. The band has said they will use this time to pursue solo projects.

Back
Top Bottom