What's new

Urban development in Bangladesh

Right now Gulshan Avenue seems like the premiere location to have your corporate HQ. Can some one please name other potential main roads thats coming up that one can rival it in the future? I can think of the ring road around Hatirjheel lake, Satmajid road, Uttara main road...

Would be helpful, if some one can give a few ideas, wide long avenue that can compare....

Purbachal I think, there would be a 300 ft wide approach road similar to that near Baridhara.

Purbachal I think, there would be a 300 ft wide approach road similar to that near Baridhara.

The roads around Hatirjheel will have several planned 30+ story highrises and will look great next to the water. If you go through my midrises thread in the 'General images' section you'll get some idea.

Also all the Banani airport road structures built for garments will be demolished to make way for a high rise corridor.

Those are what immediately comes to mind.

These were some old nice photos taken in Gulisthan-Paltan and Shahbagh

dhaka-09.jpg

shahbaghintersection5.jpg

The roads around Hatirjheel will have several planned 30+ story highrises and will look great next to the water. If you go through my midrises thread in the 'General images' section you'll get some idea.

Also all the Banani airport road structures built for garments will be demolished to make way for a high rise corridor.

Hatirjheel will look gorgeous then, I will check the thread now! :yahoo:

OK, so the roads to look for are:

Gulshan Avenue
Purbachal
Hatirjheel link road
Satmasjid road
Uttara Mymensingh road

in the next decade, Hatirjheel is going to look fantastic. Imagine modern highrise and midrise buildings along the lake side....its going to be awsome. Then there is the tejgaon industrial area, I suspect that area will be converted to commercial office buildings to.....land prices are so high that a lot of the factories will shift out of Dhaka

But isn't the Banani airport road too close to the airport and there is a height restriction there for the flight path.

But isn't the Banani airport road too close to the airport and there is a height restriction there for the flight path.

The orientation of the runway (if you see the map) is NW and SE, which is completely away from Banani Airport Road thoroughfare. The approach (final leg for landing) is typically over Uttara, while takeoff is over Gulshan/Baridhara and Badda, These areas still mostly have low-rises not over ten stories.

By the time planes climb steeply, and reach near the Gulshan No.2 Highrises and Westin, the airplanes are easily at minimum 3000 ft. height, while Westin etc. is at 300 ft. max. So no issues there. Look at this image,

51559899.jpg

Hatirjheel will look gorgeous then, I will check the thread now! :yahoo:

There are some nice pics of Hatirjheel in the latter part of the thread,

Midrise Architecture in Dhaka Bangladesh | Page 21

OK, so the roads to look for are:

Gulshan Avenue
Purbachal
Hatirjheel link road
Satmasjid road
Uttara Mymensingh road

in the next decade, Hatirjheel is going to look fantastic. Imagine modern highrise and midrise buildings along the lake side....its going to be awsome. Then there is the tejgaon industrial area, I suspect that area will be converted to commercial office buildings to.....land prices are so high that a lot of the factories will shift out of Dhaka

Yup all of Tejgaon will get converted to Commercial Highrises I imagine. This should be done in a planned way. But the roads are already laid out in a very nice grid pattern so this should be easy. This is how it was designed in the early 50's.

Industrial activity wise Tejgaon was not really a runaway success.

Last edited:
Sea Pearl begins its operation at Cox’s Bazar | Dhaka Tribune

today's paper >> business >> published: 00:33 september 20, 2015
Sea Pearl begins its operation at Cox’s Bazar
Tribune Report

• 20.jpg
    The newly launched luxury hotel Sea Pearl at Cox’s Bazar
    Photo- DHAKA TRIBUNE
Country’s largest five-star hotel Sea Pearl Beach Resort and Spa has begun its commercial operation at Cox’s Bazar.

Industry Minister Amir Hossain Amu formally inaugurated the luxury hotel on Thursday last.

Prime Bank has financed the big project worth Tk600 crore through syndication loan from nine commercial banks.

Aminul Haque Shamim, managing director of the newly launched Sea Pearl said, “Nine banks have invested Tk200 crore in the project through syndication while rest of investment was made from own financing.”

He claimed that the hotel was the largest in Bangladesh in terms of international time-sharing with Royal Tulip.

Prime Bank financed Tk97 crore while rest of Tk103 crore was jointly financed by Mutual Trust Bank, Standard Bank, Pubali Bank, One Bank, Bangladesh Commerce Bank, Trust Bank, NCC Bank and Modhumoti Bank.

The loan can be paid in six years with a one-year grace period.

Prime Bank Managing Director Ahmed Kamal Khan Chowdhury said, “Banks investment in this project will not be a risky one as an analysis found that the occupancy rate of the hotel is above 40% which is profitable.

Moreover, lower interest rate will reduce the risk of the project, he opined.

Banks are interested to invest for long time in hotel construction as tourism sector is growing in Bangladesh, said Golam Hafiz Ahmed, managing director of NCC Bank.

“Our targeted people are mainly local businessmen and foreigners but middle class people can also afford the cost of the hotel,” said A H M Mokbul Hossain, chief executive officer of Sea Pearl.

The hotel with 493 key rooms has been built on 15 acres of land along the sea beach. The minimum price of a hotel room is Tk9,000 per day. The most lucrative feature of the hotel is the two private beaches, one for foreigners while another for the local tourists.

- See more at: Sea Pearl begins its operation at Cox’s Bazar | Dhaka Tribune

Can't wait for the construction to start man! Any renderings of the new terminal and the airport plan?

I've been looking but none of the three design consultants (local, SG, KR) posted anything on their websites. Too preliminary I think....

Apparently the SG consultant stated that the main hall in the third terminal will end up looking like the CHANGI new terminal - which they also designed. I really would not expect any less.

এখানের troll গুলির মুখ বন্ধ হলে কিছু শান্তি আসবে আমাদের section-এ

Any news on Sonadia Deep Sea port? Former adviser of Army backed caretaker govt said few days ago that Govt. has dropped this project from Fast Track Project. Channel 24 reported few days ago that govt will conduct a fresh feasibility study again. If the news is true then it is a major setback for our country....

Any news on Sonadia Deep Sea port? Former adviser of Army backed caretaker govt said few days ago that Govt. has dropped this project from Fast Track Project. Channel 24 reported few days ago that govt will conduct a fresh feasibility study again. If the news is true then it is a major setback for our country....
How is it a setback?More study means more planning?

How is it a setback?More study means more planning?
The respective org. will take 2-3 yrs for feasibility study + govt. will take 1-2 yrs to appoint an organization= 5 yrs +
Govt will delay to start the work ( to negotiate potential country to finance the project, another 1-2 yrs)= 7-8 yrs at best.
All these actions are ok if they are willing to make the project happen...but govt is just dragging foot with this issue in the name of geo-politics...What is more..planning minister few months ago said that govt's interest now centers around Payra port as world powers are quite uneasy with Chinese involvement in Sonadia. Therefore govt is now planning to convert Payra into a deep sea port. But the fact is that draft of Payra is only 9-10 metre which is almost equivalent to Chittagong port. I think he made that statement to allay normal people, intellectuals and mask the fact that India pressed Govt to abandon the project. A few weeks ago Blloomberg published a report titled "Japan Beating China In indian Ocean deep Sea Port" where they said Bangladesh requested JAICA to conduct a feasibility study on Matarbari as a potential Deep sea port site. A study report by JAICA on Matarbari published by ERD is also in favor of Matarbari. In their report they pictured Sonadia as an Environmentally Critical Area ( sonadia is almost entirely covered by mangrove forest ). The construction work of Matarbari is scheduled to start next year. But it is still unclear whether Matarbari will be a full fledged deep sea port or will handle imported coal only. May be some other senior member like BDforever can shed some light. Happy Eid-ul-Adha to everyone

Back
Top Bottom