What's new

Twin Engine JF-17 as per MODP Report

This is a typo. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to evwn try to develop another 4th feneration rwin engined fighter when we only need 2-3squadrons at best.
A

This is a typo. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to evwn try to develop another 4th feneration rwin engined fighter when we only need 2-3squadrons at best.
A
Probably they wanted to mention twin seat version, as that's what they completed during the time period, this report is covering.

My two cents are
J10s are a stop gap acquisition for the time being and are not a replacement for the mirages they will be used in air superiority role as a counter for the rafale. (the role of No 15 Sqn has been changed from TA to MR) as evident from not retiring older mirages and sending them to a new squadron.
Block 3s will never be able to provide what the mirages could I am not saying that the Block 3 is a bad jet; it is a great jet but still it is no deep strike aircraft.
So in the next 5 to 10 years we will be looking for a replacement for the mirages and this is where this 'new' jet will come in.
interesting take, definitively a twin rd93ma will provide much more thrust and range then a single ws-10

Also interesting to note that A Russian newspaper quoting few months back Russian firm received an order of some 500 RD93ma engines.... If I m remembering correctly.
If a typo.... Why it has passed through a long chain of approvals? and there are too many typos gone unnoticed?

There are always good people within all departments and I will not paint a broad brush on the entire lot of people. My point is MODP as a ministry does not function in the classic sense that a ministry responsible for production decisions. MODP at the end of the day it designed to bring some process structure on how projects are approved (the formality part) and hence can be funded. However reality is that the decisions are made not at the ministry level but within the functional groups that are perhaps part of the ministry. So the MODP as a ministry is toothless. In my previous post I mentioned that the real decisions around productions are made at SPD, HIT and Kamra and a few other groups. I am not even sure if PAC Kamra and others are units of MODP. They very well might be. But do try and understand that I am making a distinction between the Ministry and the parts that perhaps make it. Reason for that is the independent nature and decision making authority that lies in those sub-units not in the Ministry.

In terms of knowing about the Ministry, this particular ministry is one I am very familiar with on many levels.
Finally let me state whatever power that does exist in the Ministry is with the Secretary of the Ministry, not the Minister. That person usually is a an ex-uniformed person, and he is often the guy these other units rely on to keep things in line.'

If you think of MoDP as the procurement and a quasi sales sales branch of key production organizations then you'll be more accurate. Anything more than that is giving too much credence to this ministry.

Last edited:
interesting take, definitively a twin rd93ma will provide much more thrust and range then a single ws-10
Bhai
A twin engine version will be a new plane altogether. New design and newer testing of all aspects. It will be a decade in development and incur a cost which might be huge. And then how much is the need?-
Totally illogical.
A

If it's not another Typo then I think along with VT 4 we may be going for Oplot Tank also.
Oplot is a really bad tank, hope PA stays away from it, put more money into VT4s and AKs.
The UD ToT is for rebuilding them. HIT already builds many parts for it locally (FCS and auto-loader parts).

Let me add to speculation, could this be the reason why block 3 production was cut to 30 a/c ? Block 4 now twin engined ? :p:

Let me add more to this speculation, it could be future medium weight fighter with Air Craft Carrier launch capability option.

Back
Top Bottom