What's new

Twin Engine JF-17 as per MODP Report

Yes, and exactly like you Said, it then is a nee aircraft and no longer a JF-17
If they call it a jf17 then it's a jf17.
Like your name is Dieno...now you are slim and athletic.
Tomorrow you are a tubby who can barely walk....Still Deino...until u change your name by de-poll loooool.

Have a nice day bro

Those suggesting it cannot be a typo because MoDP are professionals etc. should first explain if PAC even has the capability to develop a twin-engine jet fighter??? Nearly all of the design/development work for the "single-engine variant" of the Jf-17 was also done in china, not in PAC. And suddenly it's capable of developing a twin-engine variant? Mistakes can be made by anyone, even if they are supposed to be professionals.

Those suggesting it cannot be a typo because MoDP are professionals etc. should first explain if PAC even has the capability to develop a twin-engine jet fighter??? Nearly all of the design/development work for the "single-engine variant" of the Jf-17 was also done in china, not in PAC. And suddenly it's capable of developing a twin-engine variant? Mistakes can be made by anyone, even if they are supposed to be professionals.
I was hoping that the people involved in the typo are hard-headed enough to not admit the typo and, instead, go ahead and develop a twin-engine JF-17.

Probably typing error instead of twin seater twin engine got mentioned.

But don't you guys have twin-seater trainer variants as well? I mean there must be some training missions as well that require twin seaters right? like Gripen-D variant.

Isn't it risky jumping straight from tandem-trainers to simulator and then straight into the single-seater?

interesting take, definitively a twin rd93ma will provide much more thrust and range then a single ws-10
Two 8.4 ton RD93MA (or even weaker 7.5 ton M88) have combined thrust marginally higher than one 14.5 ton WS-10, yes that's true, but range? Engine does not fly by itself but propels a jet to fly a distance, range of which largely depends on size of fuel tank on that jet, not thrust.

Last edited:
I wonder why SA didnt go ahead with this project.
2 main reasons
- Engine SA tried an inhouse modified version of ATAR engine
- Second Politics specially after the end of International Sanction on SA

I wonder why SA didnt go ahead with this project.
2 main reasons
- Engine SA tried an inhouse modified version of ATAR engine
- Second Politics specially after the end of International Sanction on SA
Termination
The Angolan Tripartite Accord and the end of the South African Border War represented a major loss of impetus for Project Carver. During February 1991, President F. W. de Klerk formally announced the programme's cancellation. The principal official reason given at the time for the cancellation was that the expense of developing an indigenous fighter aircraft could not be justified in the light of the decreased threat in the newfound peacetime, changes in politics including the movement away from apartheid, and the gradual normalisation of international relationships. Recognising that new aircraft were still required, the South African government set about examining options for the procurement of an off-the-shelf fighter aircraft (which had been made possible due to the embargo having been lifted) in order to replace the SAAF's inventory of Dassault Mirage F1s and Atlas Cheetahs.
@denel

I am fairly sure this was supposed to mean twin seater but wow, any idea if this is true? But if a typo, amazing that it got through into an official doc.

View attachment 802972
Well if you look at it this way.... JF-17B beens around for quite a while now (2020) .. no ? So why would it need specific mention in 2021... Shouldn't block3 be mentioned as a design development...
That or it's badly written, like really badly written.

I suspect the "rebuild of T-80UD and ToT for its assembly" refers to the re-build/upgrade kits. It's similar to how HIT is carrying out the upgrades for the T-85 locally using kits from China. I guess they're tuning up HIT so that they can handle upgrade kits from Ukraine.

Anyways, guys, this is an official government report. This report, everyone, is a representation of our policymaking to the whole world.
If that is the representation then atleast they could've corrected the grammar a bit..

Last edited:
Development of design may not mean serial production, heck i even doubt there would be a prototype...
I always thought the natural growth process would be the a/c would increase in size to accommodate the WS-10.. solving, thrust, power, fuel and lack of hardpoints issues... Somewhat like the Mitsubishi F2....
The biggest question would be what engines the jet would be powered with.... A potential western partner .... EJ-200 maybe ? ...

Whether the jet has dual seats or twin engine makes no difference to the secretary typing the report at MoDP.

Development of design may not mean serial production, heck i even doubt there would be a prototype...
I always thought the natural growth process would be the a/c would increase in size to accommodate the WS-10.. solving, thrust, power, fuel and lack of hardpoints issues... Somewhat like the Mitsubishi F2....
The biggest question would be what engines the jet would be powered with.... A potential western partner .... EJ-200 maybe ? ...

It depends on the size of the plane, light or medium. If it’s medium weight then engines will most likely be Guizhou WS-13/RD-93.

Back
Top Bottom