What's new

Treat Eczema Naturally with Fish Oil and Oatmeal

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
My eczema was so bad I left a trail of skin flakes when I walked, says woman who says £1.99 PORRIDGE OATS are the best remedy
  • Amy-Louise James, 25, has had severe eczema since she was a child
  • She scratched so much that flakes of skin continually fell from her body
  • 'People don't realise how serious eczema is, they think it's just red skin'
  • Now treating her eczema using Quaker's oats, bought from supermarket

A woman whose eczema covered her entire body and caused a 'snowstorm' when she walked says porridge oats have dramatically improved her skin.

Amy-Louise James, 25, had such severe eczema she had to change her bed sheets every day because of her weeping wounds.

She also scratched so much that flakes of skin fell from her body - forcing her to apologise to strangers for being 'disgusting'.

Now she has treated her eczema using Quaker's oats – bought from Tesco for £1.99.

Miss James said spreading porridge over her body has improved her skin - and she is healthier than she has been in years.

She said: 'People don't realise how serious eczema is, they think it's just red skin that's a bit itchy.

'I had to change my bed every day because there would be so much skin and my eczema wept so much the sheets got all sticky.

'I itched constantly and there would be blood on the sheets too. It was just permanently painful.'

Miss James, who works for a recovery firm in Northampton, first suffered from a small flare up aged three.

She said: 'I can't remember not having eczema. It started in the creases of my arms when I was little.'

The eczema gradually spread over her arms and patches appeared on the back of her knees, followed by her hands, stomach and over her legs.

Read more: My eczema was so bad I left a trail of skin flakes when I walked, says woman who says £1.99 PORRIDGE OATS are the best remedy | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This has been similar to my life story ...
I have heard of oatmeal being used before can anyone confirm it @qamar1990 try kerna!

@Manticore @Emmie @Gufi @chauvunist @S.U.R.B.

People dont troll this is a skin condition not your playground!

Last edited:
My eczema was so bad I left a trail of skin flakes when I walked, says woman who says £1.99 PORRIDGE OATS are the best remedy
  • Amy-Louise James, 25, has had severe eczema since she was a child
  • She scratched so much that flakes of skin continually fell from her body
  • 'People don't realise how serious eczema is, they think it's just red skin'
  • Now treating her eczema using Quaker's oats, bought from supermarket

A woman whose eczema covered her entire body and caused a 'snowstorm' when she walked says porridge oats have dramatically improved her skin.

Amy-Louise James, 25, had such severe eczema she had to change her bed sheets every day because of her weeping wounds.

She also scratched so much that flakes of skin fell from her body - forcing her to apologise to strangers for being 'disgusting'.

Now she has treated her eczema using Quaker's oats – bought from Tesco for £1.99.

Miss James said spreading porridge over her body has improved her skin - and she is healthier than she has been in years.

She said: 'People don't realise how serious eczema is, they think it's just red skin that's a bit itchy.

'I had to change my bed every day because there would be so much skin and my eczema wept so much the sheets got all sticky.

'I itched constantly and there would be blood on the sheets too. It was just permanently painful.'

Miss James, who works for a recovery firm in Northampton, first suffered from a small flare up aged three.

She said: 'I can't remember not having eczema. It started in the creases of my arms when I was little.'

The eczema gradually spread over her arms and patches appeared on the back of her knees, followed by her hands, stomach and over her legs.

Read more: My eczema was so bad I left a trail of skin flakes when I walked, says woman who says £1.99 PORRIDGE OATS are the best remedy | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This has been similar to my life story ...
I have heard of oatmeal being used before can anyone confirm it @qamar1990 try kerna!

@Manticore @Emmie @Gufi @chuavunist @S.U.R.B.

People dont troll this is a skin condition not your playground!
none of this herbal and home remedies really work .... the only thing that works is your diet and regular medicines you get from regular doctors.

none of this herbal and home remedies really work .... the only thing that works is your diet and regular medicines you get from regular doctors.
Have you tried? Ya seedah denial?

The doc's meds dont work on me...all he gives me is aqua cream seriously that is just water....and it smells bad :sick:

I rather be dipped in porridge :p:

BTW, did you read the article?

@Akheilos

In the last few years I have began to suffer from eczema. My younger brother has had eczema since he was a kid. When I went to see the doctor after lot of trials she prescribed Nystaform Cream which I find is very effective. I tend to get it around my elbow and when it flares on my neck as well.

I figured out that avoiding rapeseed oil, reduced sugar intake and food eaten in moderation with strict watch on my weight by walking/jogging everyday helps. However when it does flare up then I find Nystaform contains the problem although of course it never resolves the issue.

I think in my case strict diet and good robust daily exercise regime and making sure my weight stays within 12 to 12.5 stone range which is not easy on 6 ft frame and I am forced to cover about 4 miles a day in the park. However all this assure that my condition is now well managed.

Since I was a kid I have bowl of porridge in the morning with water/milk mixture and no sugar. I love it even if I hated it when my mum used to stuff it down our mouths all those years ago. You need to look at all the variables to see if there are any triggers that make the condition worse as I don't think there is a cure. That is what my doctors said. You need to learn to make diet/lifestyle changes to manage it. I wish you the best because I know this thing can be most annoying.

Here is my favourite and it is cheap as chips ...

unionjack-327x320_Product%20Package.jpg

I use this Nystaform cream when I my condition flares up. It is however prescription only. The doctor gave me all sort of stuff Fucidin, Sudocrem, Diprobase etc but they never worked in fact some of them made it worse ....

upload_2015-5-29_23-42-11.jpeg

Nystaform Cream
I just read it up....Its a steroid (hydrocortisone). I was given all forms of it as a child

As a child I had it on my legs and the silly docs claimed I was allergic to the grass...and my parents restricted me from going out much......they then realized it wasnt getting any better - though they couldnt keep me away from playing outdoors but after playing I would scratch till I bled...But as I grew older- less playing and it persisted docs had a new theory- its my sweat....Unfortunately there is no proper test for that ...based on my confession of drinking less water i was told I am allergic to my own sweat so much so the doc issued a letter which I gave my hostel and hence I always got a room on the ground floor since I was a "sick" child :p:

But as I grew older I saw it subsided....in fact significantly...Now it is only at my nose and recently it came back but near my eyes and just about few mths back on my forehead too....Nothing stops me from scratching so sometimes my pillow case has blood stains and i wake up with the skin flaring around the nose....and sometimes the ears not much now...

Yea it is annoying :(

As for my diet...I am not sure I have tried a number of different food ...even cut of rice/ wheat (but not for long)....I dont have meat everyday I dont have chicken everyday...I even went vegetarian and still no difference...Now I just ignore the diet and stuff myself and try to keep happy...Which is hard as a PhD student seriously it is hard!

@Akheilos

My heart goes to you. The strange thing is my brother had it when he was a kid and as you describe he would scratch himself bloody in particular behind his knees and elbow. However as he got older the condition reduced and now he never suffers from it. However in my case it has been contrary as I have began to suffer from it in the last few years. At any rate I wish the best.

Btw what are you doing Phd in?

Last edited:
Well I am studying genetics of flowering time using strawberry as a model plant :)

I knew your way above my head. I just managed to scrape through graduate law course with lots of help ...
I sometimes think there are only two nations in the world, the idiots and mediocre like me and those blessed with extraordinary intelligence like you.

@Akheilos

I heart goes to you. The strange thing is my brother had it when he was a kid and as you describe he would scratch himself bloody in particular behind his knees and elbow. However as he got older the condition reduced and now he never suffers from it. However in my case it has been contrary as I have began to suffer from it in the last few years. At any rate I wish the best.

Well, I didnt suffer much during my BSc (except during exams) and even in my MSc...it wasnt too bad.....but recently, sometimes my eyes swell...I have stopped bothering but since it is on my face....I do realize it when I see people staring at me....I am like my eyes swollen? yea I am tired :p:

During my BSc it was soo bad I the area that was effected - (at that time it was my chin and both on eyelids and below my eyes) these areas became black...it looked like someone punched me....Doctors called it hyper pigmentation and even taking biopsy samples revealed nothing....

About 1yr plus ago (during PhD) I met this Pakistani family on an Eid occasion. This kid was running around and he kinda ran into me. He looked up and I was a little shocked...The poor kid had his upper lips flaring but he smiled to me...That is when I realized my condition is way better than many. I talked to the mom. They were from Scandinavian area so I asked her what does the doctor say. And she was like doc said it is mostly because of mood/ chemicals in the body....the mom said they also noticed it that the kid flares up when he is angry or upset but is all fine when he is happy and doc told them same thing. I try to keep myself happy and out of trouble...But being a student it isnt always easy :D

However, I realized 1 thing when I went to Pakistan for 2 weeks (last yr) my skin magically became fresh and I went in bloody summer....I guess I was happy to be with family....but despite all the family stress (my dad's side lives 20mins drive from us and believe me they come over ALL THE TIME while we are used to living alone) bt despite all that ALHAMDULILLAH my skin had not a single spot not a single rash/ inflation or anything....I used to be like Pakistan is dusty, my pores will clog more blaa blaa....nope in fact my skin felt twice as young!

I knew your way above my head. I just managed to scrape through graduate law course with lots of help ...
I sometimes think there are only two nations in the world, the idiots and mediocre like me and those blessed with extraordinary intelligence like you.
Oh believe me my case is not intelligence it is pure luck and a gift from ALLAH....nothing of my own doing....

@Indus Falcon got any eczema stories? :p:

Well, I didnt suffer much during my BSc (except during exams) and even in my MSc...it wasnt too bad.....but recently, sometimes my eyes swell...I have stopped bothering but since it is on my face....I do realize it when I see people staring at me....I am like my eyes swollen? yea I am tired :p:

During my BSc it was soo bad I the area that was effected - (at that time it was my chin and both on eyelids and below my eyes) these areas became black...it looked like someone punched me....Doctors called it hyper pigmentation and even taking biopsy samples revealed nothing....

About 1yr plus ago (during PhD) I met this Pakistani family on an Eid occasion. This kid was running around and he kinda ran into me. He looked up and I was a little shocked...The poor kid had his upper lips flaring but he smiled to me...That is when I realized my condition is way better than many. I talked to the mom. They were from Scandinavian area so I asked her what does the doctor say. And she was like doc said it is mostly because of mood/ chemicals in the body....the mom said they also noticed it that the kid flares up when he is angry or upset but is all fine when he is happy and doc told them same thing. I try to keep myself happy and out of trouble...But being a student it isnt always easy :D

However, I realized 1 thing when I went to Pakistan for 2 weeks (last yr) my skin magically became fresh and I went in bloody summer....I guess I was happy to be with family....but despite all the family stress (my dad's side lives 20mins drive from us and believe me they come over ALL THE TIME while we are used to living alone) bt despite all that ALHAMDULILLAH my skin had not a single spot not a single rash/ inflation or anything....I used to be like Pakistan is dusty, my pores will clog more blaa blaa....nope in fact my skin felt twice as young!

Oh believe me my case is not intelligence it is pure luck and a gift from ALLAH....nothing of my own doing....

@Indus Falcon got any eczema stories? :p:

My mother had it bad. So bad that it used to bleed. She went down the spiritual route and MashAllah doesn't have it any more.

She used to read the Quran and blow it on olive oil.
Ahhh...Yea I sometimes use almond oil but so far it hasnt done miracles...esp nothing with the face I dont apply any oil on the face it kind of initiates more itching before long I feel like a baboon....

I have tried reading some doa - I think it was Prophet Ayub A.S. 's doa...

Back
Top Bottom