ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

The Countries Experiencing Doctor Brain Drain

DOCTORS

by Katharina Buchholz,
Apr 5, 2023

India is the country with the most domestically trained doctors working abroad in the OECD – an organization of mostly developed countries. This is despite the fact that the density of doctors in India is very low in an international comparison. However, even if all expat doctors came home, it would not bolster India’s medical workforce by much.

An analysis of the countries where data was available shows that most recently, almost 75,000 Indian-trained doctors were working in the OECD. Almost two thirds of these professionals settled in the U.S., while 19,000 headed for the UK.

Despite having a similar population size, the number of Chinese-trained doctors working in the OECD was much lower at around 8,000 that picked mostly the U.S. and Australia as their destinations.

While the effects of this doctor brain drain are significant for the country, the source for India’s low doctor density lies deeper. Comparing the number of Indian expat doctors to the number of physicians practicing in India, expat doctors equal just over 7 percent of the Indian domestic doctor workforce. This is comparable to the figure for the UK and only somewhat higher than the number for Germany. Yet, both of these countries have a much higher doctor density than India, leading to the conclusion that India trains too few doctors overall or itself doesn't attract enough doctors from other places.

Countries which are heavily affected by doctor brain drain include Romania where at a population of around 19 million, almost 22,000 doctors work abroad. If all of them returned home, this would bolster the domestic doctor workforce by 37 percent. In Egypt and in the Philippines, this number stands at almost 17 percent and almost 13 percent, respectively. Tiny Caribbean island nation Grenada has sent more than 10,000 doctors from all over the world to the U.S. thanks to a specialized study program. Yet, the nation that only listed 160 domestic doctors with the WHO in 2018 is suffers from medical brain drain and appealed to doctors and nurses from the country to return home during the coronavirus pandemic.

29667.jpg

DOCTORS

by Katharina Buchholz,
Apr 5, 2023

India is the country with the most domestically trained doctors working abroad in the OECD – an organization of mostly developed countries. This is despite the fact that the density of doctors in India is very low in an international comparison. However, even if all expat doctors came home, it would not bolster India’s medical workforce by much.

An analysis of the countries where data was available shows that most recently, almost 75,000 Indian-trained doctors were working in the OECD. Almost two thirds of these professionals settled in the U.S., while 19,000 headed for the UK.

Despite having a similar population size, the number of Chinese-trained doctors working in the OECD was much lower at around 8,000 that picked mostly the U.S. and Australia as their destinations.

While the effects of this doctor brain drain are significant for the country, the source for India’s low doctor density lies deeper. Comparing the number of Indian expat doctors to the number of physicians practicing in India, expat doctors equal just over 7 percent of the Indian domestic doctor workforce. This is comparable to the figure for the UK and only somewhat higher than the number for Germany. Yet, both of these countries have a much higher doctor density than India, leading to the conclusion that India trains too few doctors overall or itself doesn't attract enough doctors from other places.

Countries which are heavily affected by doctor brain drain include Romania where at a population of around 19 million, almost 22,000 doctors work abroad. If all of them returned home, this would bolster the domestic doctor workforce by 37 percent. In Egypt and in the Philippines, this number stands at almost 17 percent and almost 13 percent, respectively. Tiny Caribbean island nation Grenada has sent more than 10,000 doctors from all over the world to the U.S. thanks to a specialized study program. Yet, the nation that only listed 160 domestic doctors with the WHO in 2018 is suffers from medical brain drain and appealed to doctors and nurses from the country to return home during the coronavirus pandemic.

View attachment 923518

The article also fails to mention that the ratio of doctors to patient in India 1:854 is above the WHO recommended 1:1000.

Our population size means there will be a significant portion in absolute numbers in any criteria, the one selected here is doctors setteling abroad. Though qualified individuals leaving the country can be a pressing concern, that is only so far due to the shortage of talent at home.

Respectfully, I would disagree with the intent of the artical and your attempt to throw some shade. However many leave, we still have plenty at home, so long as that does not change those immigrating could actually provide benefits and opportunities that were previously not pondered on.

Remittances and FDI inflows allow GoI to spend beyond its means to invest in her growth. The more Indians work abroad, the more dollars flow in.

Having qualified and educated citizens settle abroad can also have positive consequences for political reach and relations. Doctors and those in the medical profession are seen as healers globally and are usually not attached with any negative connotations that would come with any other industry overrun by immigrants.

It also has a profound effect on our soft power. Indians want masala, music and movies. That wont change whereever we go. That translates to global growth for our movies, spices and music.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I would disagree with the intent of the artical and your attempt to throw some shade. However many leave, we still have plenty at home, so long as that does not change those immigrating could actually provide benefits and opportunities that were previously not pondered on.
Not a single word I added or took off from this article.

Some global news just coming out today.
If you're simply a messenger of news articles, do you have a selection criteria for what gets posted here out of all the news being broadcast globally

Personally I'd like some sports ones.

The article also fails to mention that the ratio of doctors to patient in India 1:854 is above the WHO recommended 1:1000.
Are you sure recommended ratio by WHO is 1:1000, I just checked but didn't find it

21168.jpg

微信图片_20230406174500.png

Are you sure recommended ratio by WHO is 1:1000, I just checked but didn't find it

View attachment 923522
View attachment 923523
This is population to doctors, the one I've quoted is doctors to patients. What use would comparing the number of doctors to total stock do? We would need to see how many doctors are needed relevant to requirement.

Not all citizens fall ill, those that do have a healthy ratio to take care of them.

Of all the points I've put forth, you haven't responded to any of them, why post here if you wont reposte points.

Whats the selection criteria for an innocent poster just posting news?

Interesting edit:
You've joined this forum from Nov 2011 and till date have posted 56507 messages. Thats like an average of 14 posts per day every day.

Either you're paid to do this, or you have the best job in the world that allows you enough free time to innocently post just news articles and engage in shit flinging with other posters.

So naturally, the relevant question becomes, are they hiring and if so can i get a recommendation :D

Last edited:
the article is a failure when it fail to mention this

only in last year 4000 Iranian doctors applied to Iran health ministry to Certificate of Good Standing in order to emigrate to and work in other countries.
now add various years and you get the picture, let just say the year before that just a mere 3000 applied for the certificate

DOCTORS

by Katharina Buchholz,
Apr 5, 2023

View attachment 923518

knowledge of English makes Indian doctors valuable for immigration to Anglosphere countries.
The stats for Romania was an eye opener

It ignores medical tourism numbers. India might be the largest destination for medical tourism related traffic even though it is a tiny dent in the overall size of the healthcare sector

^^^ This. ^^^

I am not sure if doctors in all countries know English. I have meet one in Latin America who did not know good English. They knew enough to treat me but not enough to practice in USA

knowledge of English makes Indian doctors valuable for immigration to Anglosphere countries.
The stats for Romania was an eye opener

It ignores medical tourism numbers. India might be the largest destination for medical tourism related traffic even though it is a tiny dent in the overall size of the healthcare sector
come on , how on anyoplace at earth a medical doctor can become a doctor worthy of the name of Doctor if he is not profecient in english and is able to use tools like pubmed and uptodate and read the textbooks that are in English in more than 90% of the cases

I am not sure if doctors in all countries know English. I have meet one in Latin America who did not know good English. They knew enough to treat me but not enough to practice in USA

Spanish will get you further in mostly the Southwest and Florida, and a few other big cities. Linguistic skills are very important in healthcare. UK found this the hard way when they shut down doctors from the subcontinent expecting German and Italian doctors to fill the gap when it joined the EU. Guess what happened? :D

how many week it take for a person who know basic English to become proficient in conversing if he/she live in an English speaking country?

i don't believe being proficient in language is a serrious factor for medical field worker when they want to immigrate to an English speaking country

Back
Top Bottom