What's new

Army officers to take charge of Pims, Polyclinic hospitals in Islamabad

ISLAMABAD: Amid reservations expressed by doctors who termed the move ‘unfortunate’, the caretaker government has decided to appoint serving officers of the Pakistan Army Medical Corps as the heads of the two largest state-run hospitals in Islamabad – the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) and Polyclinic – on deputation for three years.

However, the spokesperson of the Ministry of National Health Services (NHS) Sajid Shah said the decision was taken in the “best interest of the patients and health sector”, which would “streamline and address all the issues of the hospitals”.

A letter from the health ministry sent to the defence ministry said that the posts of the executive director in Pims and Polyclinic were vacant due to the non-availability of eligible officers from the feeding cadre for promotion to the ED. It stated that because of the “importance it cannot be left out to function without qualified heads of the institutions”.

“In order to ensure effective health care service delivery for the public at large in ICT, it has been desired to fill the posts on secondment basis from Pakistan Army Medical Corps as an interim arrangement,” it added.

“...It is, therefore, requested to convey the availability / spareability of qualified and capable hospital managers of equivalent grade i.e. BS-21 from Pakistan Army Medical Corps for posting as ED Pims and FGPC (BS-21) on deputation basis for a period of three years and until further orders under standard terms and conditions,” it stated.

A senior officer of the health ministry, on the condition of anonymity, said that the appointment of serving army officers would address most of the issues of the hospital.

“Unfortunately almost 80pc of the senior doctors do not come to the hospital on time and the same is the situation regarding the junior doctors and paramedics. We receive tens of complaints, on a daily basis, about the attitude and absence of the staff of both hospitals,” the official said, adding that “only an army officer will be able to enforce discipline and best possible treatment” at these hospitals.

He alleged that doctors at both hospitals were running “labs, MRI and other radiological test machines and force patients to get them tested from outside the hospital at testing facilities owned by them”.

A Pims senior doctor, however, expressed frustration with the decision and termed it “unfortunate”. He claimed that army officers were being appointed in most institutions across the country under the pretext of corruption.

“I don’t want to comment about how the institutions, headed by the officers of armed forces, are being run. just want to say that there are competent people in the health sector who can be appointed as EDs.”

“If there is no competent person in [these] hospitals, the ministry could have hired a civilian. Unfortunately, the officers of armed forces only focus on time-in and time-out and do not care about the quality of work,” he said. “They don’t analyse how many operations a doctor does every day,” he complained.

“We are already facing a shortage of human resources and I fear that many doctors will quit…as they are highly qualified and have options to work within the country and outside the country,” he said.

Spokesperson Sajid Shah, on the other hand, said that caretaker minister Nadeem Jan was a “true health professional and he wanted to bring reforms to the health sector”. “I believe that it is the best possible option to fill the seats of heads in both hospitals. It will address most of the complaints and issues we receive daily,” he said.

Published in Dawn, October 29th, 2023

the conquest of Pakistan is going great it seems.
Wait when asim munier will be our next sisi

“Unfortunately almost 80pc of the senior doctors do not come to the hospital on time and the same is the situation regarding the junior doctors and paramedics. We receive tens of complaints, on a daily basis, about the attitude and absence of the staff of both hospitals,” the official said, adding that “only an army officer will be able to enforce discipline and best possible treatment” at these hospitals.
Has the Baba ever heard of a department called HR?

Armed forces are required to provide assistance during natural calamities and also man made disasters or as notified by the government. This is in their charter of duties in almost all nations. Paksiatn isn’t likely to be any different.

When they are called for these duties, they don’t do any favour as touted by some people.

Being highly organised and regimented, they perform very well in these and is generally better than and civilian organisation.

But, it is their duty in the end.

Highly organised and regimented for what ? Combat operations, right ?

I challenge any South Asian military to compete against Pakistani rescue service 1122 in medical and climatic emergencies and see for theirselves who outperform who that too with a measly budget compared to the billions of $ allocated to the men in uniform .

Highly organised and regimented for what ?
They are as an organisation. Primarily for defence of the nation but it can be used for disaster relief too. And this is mandated in their charter of duties.
I challenge any South Asian military to compete against Pakistani rescue service 1122
They must be damn good, but, they must be having limitations when the scale of disaster is too big and more hands are required. That is where defence forces come in.

My objection is to comment by some people, who insinuated that defence forces do a favour while carrying out disaster relief. It is their peace time role and not a favour by them.

FORMAL MOTION to RENAME PAKISTAN - The military state of Pakistan and make Asim whiskey the monarch and be done with it.
Lakh di lanat on 200 Million CIVILIANS.

They must be damn good, but, they must be having limitations when the scale of disaster is too big and more hands are required. That is where defence forces come in.

My objection is to comment by some people, who insinuated that defence forces do a favour while carrying out disaster relief. It is their peace time role and not a favour by them.

You didn't get the point ------. All i alluded to is just handover a public department or even a sewage line to a people with RELEVANT qualifications and field experience which is severely lacking in the sub continent hence why every other professional wants to leave this *********E for where they can truly explore their potential without even worrying about someone else from outside their professional domain stealing the lime light .

Just look at the administrative policies of this region , an f.a or b.a pass babu is bound to supersede a/any professional no matter if he/she laid foundations of Oxford . There's a massive disconnect between a public representative and the professionals e.g a PhD in engineering have to rely on a b.a pass secretary to get things going for a public project .

You didn't get the point ------. All i alluded to is just handover a public department or even a sewage line to a people with RELEVANT qualifications and field experience which is severely lacking in the sub continent hence why every other professional wants to leave this *********E for where they can truly explore their potential without even worrying about someone else from outside their professional domain stealing the lime light .

Just look at the administrative policies of this region , an f.a or b.a pass babu is bound to supersede a/any professional no matter if he/she laid foundations of Oxford . There's a massive disconnect between a public representative and the professionals e.g a PhD in engineering have to rely on a b.a pass secretary to get things going for a public project .
joke is on you
a Secretary needs at least a 4 years Bachelors degree and 12 competitive examinations to qualify, while the "all knowing" fauji is F.A pass, and gets selected after an MCQ test.

joke is on you
a Secretary needs at least a 4 years Bachelors degree and 12 competitive examinations to qualify, while the "all knowing" fauji is F.A pass, and gets selected after an MCQ test.

Before the ishaq dar "reforms" it was a mere 2 years b.a and after those revolutionary reforms the requirement got increased to a 4 years b.a graduation which still is a b.a by international standards but is considered an m.a by Pakistanis and Indians, the brightest of the bunch . which I believe got reduced to the same 2 years b.a to clear another graduation level exam which got nothing to do with professional skills etc . Besides, the requirement to become the head of any civilian state department is still a b.a .

12 competitive examinations

Let me guess these exams must be including some advance level engineering subjects or may be stuff related to nuclear physics , neuro sciences etc , right ? Or its just an attempt at general knowledge and English language skills through craming?

What if someone changes the basic subject language to french or German ? What effects it gonna have over the administrative aspects of public institutes ?

Last edited:
All i alluded to is just handover a public department or even a sewage line to a people with RELEVANT qualifications and field experience which is severely lacking in the sub continent hence why every other professional wants to leave this *********E for where they can truly explore their potential without even worrying about someone else from outside their professional domain stealing the lime light .
This kind of conflict goes on across the world. “Yes Minister” series is one of the comical depiction of the same. However, nations are able to reign in on groups trying to exert themselves at the cost of others and the greater good.
Administrators across the world do get a little bigger say and are generally resented by other arms of the governments.

Paksiatn is unique because the army has controlled the nation for the bigger part and has acquired all the powers and controls everything. It hasn’t done well on many fronts because of this, especially domains related to science, economy etc etc.
In India, Armed Forces have no say in anything and IAS aka babus control everything and are resented by everyone else. We all have our own demons to kill.
Some bigger some smaller.

Last edited:
what are you on about? its been decades since a general has been heading NDMA, how much improvement has its shown? They themselves kill the civilian institutions, and then say that civilians don't know administration.
NDMA is a useless organisation, believe me I have first hand experience of inter operating with this white elephant.

Not fit for purpose.

NDMA is a useless organisation, believe me I have first hand experience of inter operating with this white elephant.

Not fit for purpose.
shukria general sahab

Before the ishaq dar "reforms" it was a mere 2 years b.a and after those revolutionary reforms the requirement got increased to a 4 years b.a graduation which still is a b.a by international standards but is considered an m.a by Pakistanis and Indians, the brightest of the bunch . which I believe got reduced to the same 2 years b.a to clear another graduation level exam which got nothing to do with professional skills etc . Besides, the requirement to become the head of any civilian state department is still a b.a .
im pretty sure it is still 16 years of education.

Let me guess these exams must be including some advance level engineering subjects or may be stuff related to nuclear physics , neuro sciences etc , right ? Or its just an attempt at general knowledge and English language skills through craming?

What if someone changes the basic subject language to french or German ? What effects it gonna have over the administrative aspects of public institutes ?
the subjects are quote diverse from accounting to physics to political since etc.

Its quite more diverse as compared to the MCQs required to get into Pak Bojh

Last edited:
In the military, doctors, at least those who are career are also trained in management, like all other officers. Remember, the "military" part of military doctor is not a title, they are actual trained military officers.
I guess you could have a management path for civilian doctors, but I don't see it as being feasible.
What a load of horseshit. India right across the border has civilians in these positions. As does the GCC just a stones throw away, as does the rest of the civilized world. Guess what? They're doing an exemplary job, while low IQ Cuckistan sucks on the choti lulli's of jernails.

They're doing an exemplary job, while low IQ Cuckistan sucks on the choti lulli's of jernails.
Domain experts should be allowed to handle and control own domains. No unnecessary fingering others should be allowed.
Defence forces for defence, Space scientists for science, Doctors for medical etc etc.
Though, an oversight is required to ensure accountability. A fine balance.

An absolute ideal situation can’t be achieved anywhere, but shouldn’t get as bad as in Paksiatn and many other nations.

when the civilians prove incompetent to deliver, even a caretaker government has to approach the military for help.

There cannot be possibly more incompetent lot then Pakistani military. There is some audacity to call civilians as incompetents, how much budget you left for them or any of the department ?? You take it all, people don't even have decent health facilities because there is no budget, everything is taken by or rather snatched by the military. ISI budget alone is enough to beat several civil departments and their performance is 80,000 Pakistanis dead under their watch and still no peace. You give 1% budget of military to any civil department and don't put a shadow of incompetent Generals over there then see how it will excel. That department will become number.1 in entire world. Experienced and competent people in civil departments are forcefully retired instead making them chairman because a retired low IQ general sahab is coming to take position with no experience, no knowledge of the domain. From SUPARCO to just any other department as soon as military generals were involved all of the performances nose dived.

You said civilians proved to be incompetent, (you know 99.9% of this nation is civilian, yet you disrespect the nation) , I can clearly see you are bias in your comments. So now, let's see spectacular incompetency of Pak Fauj:

Killing fellow countrymen and Surrender on 1971
1971, the epic strategic failure, the divide between nation and army, the massacre, the organised murder & rape, the operation search light, the deliberate punitive measures by the chief of Army Staff the alcohlic General Yahya and then the same General ordering to surrender, the most embarassing moment in history for any nation. Not to mention, how during different times the Army Generals treated leaders of the country, Fatima Jinnah, ZAB etc.

Foreign power do military action at main city of the country:
OBL was found next to military installation, didn't questioned even when a foreign power commandoes comes at the heart of Abottabad in helicopters, kill the people and go away untouched.

Foreign power butecher our soldiers
our 28 soldiers were butchered by US gunship helicopters in Salala.

Kargil blunders
Army denied to take back the bodies of our jawans from Kargil. left them their to die, Gave them no artillery support, no air-support, such a disasterous mis-adventure by Pak army.

80,000 Pakistanis died because of incompetent intelligence agency
Nation endured drone attacks for decades, because you were giving them the airbases and airspace. 80,000 Pakistanis died and our so called 7th largest (or humourously number 1) still could not won the war on terror. The terrorists that you created at first place (Gen Zia's ultra religious / extremist regime / jihadi factories creation of all those Madrassas for same) and the war that you started (for America's do more pressure).

Selling innocent Pakistanis for 5K USD
Army sold off Pakistanis at 5K USD each to CIA and they spent their lifetimes in Guatanomo Bay (later majority found out to be innocents after spending decades in jails).

RAW epic operations against incompetent ISI & military
Let's see the indian side, The RAW on other hand did one of the best sabotage operations in last decade or so against Pakistan. The Kamra base Attack and Mehran base attack were perfectly executed, They destroyed our force multipliers, the assets which were never going to be used against TTP but were the assests specifically for india were destroyed. I always wondered why PAF was stupid enough to store all the AWACS in one base and that happened which I feared, the billion dollars equipment in Kamra base and Mehran base were destroyed. ISI found to be complete failure in not just defending the plot but also a complete failure by not doing the same sort of damage to the indians. Nothing in response was given to the india.

Rogue Dictators & Marshal laws
In addition to all the marshall-laws, all the strategic mis-calculations, all the humiliations at world stage, the majority of budget, the lavish lifestyle of Generals, the massive villas, with massive man-power to serve, the unaccounted agriculture land, plots and realestate, the materialistic mindset of the Army command is another huge black spot on the institution.

These were just some highlights. Let's see these incompetent military guys are doing in international defense expos:

1B1F2CDF-A4B9-478E-BBBC-249179C10CCB - Copy.jpeg

DJI_20211114_103654_72 - Copy.jpg

DJI_20211114_104001_76 - Copy.jpg

DJI_20211116_111711_216 - Copy.jpg

FeZZ2Q5WQAQrsOC-copy.jpg

There are even more and critical incompetencies of this military which I don't even want to share in the public forum. This is your level despite taking maximum chunk from the budget. This is your incompetencies and yet audacity to call the nation as incompetent.

Nation's civilians produced Dr.Abdus Salam, Dr.A.Q,khan and their teams, all civilians despite the fact this nation spends almost nothing on science.

Also, military needs to understand that it is mandatory for them to perform, they are given salaries for this job. Nation's tax payer money bought you those F-16s and J-10Cs and missiles and tanks, These are Nation's assets not yours, Some random General don't own these and you never bought these with your own pocket. This is nation's blood and sweat money. So if time comes and you perform then keep your feet on the ground as it was expected of you.

When our Generals suspend consitution, delay elections or do political maneving, essentially they are committing treachery with the nation. Ideally this nation should have dealt with them as Turkish nation did with its army. 100s of army officers jailed for life with no possibility of early release. This nation needs overhaul like this and there should be mandatory civil audit of military expenditures. Otherwise, this bananaism won't work for long.

Back
Top Bottom