Sikhs consider sending jathas to Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobiraaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
AMRITSAR: Contrary to the claims of a relaxed visa regime, Pakistan government has toughened the formalities especially for pilgrims intending to visit Pakistan, prompting various organizations in Punjab to consider Bangladesh-based gurdwaras for pilgrimage.

A few Sikh organizations have either suspended their scheduled pilgrimage to Pakistan on Baisakhi or have warned to send jathas to Bangladesh to pay obeisance at Sikh historical gurdwaras.

Sai Mian Mir Foundation, an Amritsar-based organization, which has been sending jathas to Pakistan on various religious occasions for the past 12 years, has dropped its Baisakhi pilgrimage to Pakistan scheduled for April 10. "We are not sending a jatha to Pakistan in protest against the new restrictions they have imposed. These are also against the spirit of simplifying the visa regime between the two nations," foundation president HS Brar said on Sunday.

Under the new formalities, pilgrims intending to visit Pakistan will have to deposit their passports along with two photographs and two visa forms 35 days prior to the visit. The visa fee has also been hiked from Rs 15 to Rs 120.

"We are not tour operators who have the infrastructure to fulfill visa formalities for commercial interests but religious people expecting the least bit of formalities," said Brar.

Nankana Sahib Sikh Teerath Yatri Jatha president Swaran Singh said that the toughened visa norms would discourage pilgrimage to Pakistan. "They are now charging Rs 120 visa fee irrespective of issuance of visa or not, which is not acceptable. If Pakistan keeps on adding formalities, we might consider sending our jathas to Bangladesh's Sikh historical gurdwaras," said Singh.

President of Bhai Mardana Yadgari Kirtan Darbar Society, HS Bhullar said that poor people save every penny for their life-time pilgrimage and instead of simplifying travel norms Pak government has made them worse. "We are feeling helpless. Indian government should step in to ease visa formalities," said Bhullar.

Meanwhile, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar issued an appeal to Pakistan government to issue maximum visas to devotees.

Sikhs consider sending jathas to Bangladesh as Pak toughens norms - The Times of India

Which historical Sikh Gurduwaras exist in Bangladesh? Thats something new for me.

BTW just realized this was my 1000th post. Took me 3 exact years lol. If the senior member bar is still at 2000 posts then il be a Senior Member by April 2016 at this rate :D

Gurudwara_Nanak_Shahi,_Dhaka_002.jpg

Gurudwara Nanak Shahi, Dhaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which historical Sikh Gurduwaras exist in Bangladesh? Thats something new for me.

BTW just realized this was my 1000th post. Took me 3 exact years lol. If the senior member bar is still at 2000 posts then il be a Senior Member by April 2016 at this rate :D

I think you got ans.

To the best of my knowledge only one guadwara at least in Dhaka. The one inside Dhaka University complex. I used to pass it everyday on my way to my school .... Govt Lab...

What is a Jathas .... What does it entail?

Sounds good. later sikhs.

sikhs should seek khalistan and stay far far away from BD. In fact they can take their ahmediya followers along with them.

Last time I checked Guru Nanak was not born in Bangladesh. Neither was their history made there.
Having a gurduwara or two does not mean Bangladesh can Replace Pakistan as a pilgrimage site.

Last time I checked Guru Nanak was not born in Bangladesh. Neither was their history made there.
Having a gurduwara or two does not mean Bangladesh can Replace Pakistan as a pilgrimage site.

I think its a part of ceremony to visit distant Gurudwaras once in their lifetime.

I think its a part of ceremony to visit distant Gurudwaras once in their lifetime.

Is this ceremony as important as visiting the birth place of Guru Nanak?

Gurudwaras in Bangladesh

There are seven known Gurdwaras in Bangladesh. The most well known is Gurdwara Nanak Shahi Dhaka; it is the most important historic Gurdwara, commemorating the visit of Guru Nanak in 1506-1507. This Gurdwara is said to have been built in 1830. Besides, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Guru of the Sikhs stayed at Dhaka for over two years. The news of the birth of his only son Sri Gobind Rai - Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj - in Patna was received by Guru Tegh Bahadur when he was sojourning in Dhaka. This gurdwara is among the few places outside India which were graced more than once by Guru Baba Nanak. Its historic and religious importance outside India is second perhaps only to the Gurdwaras of Nanakana Sahib and Panja Sahib.

Sikhs constitute a small minority in Bangladesh. They usually come from abroad and live here temporarily. Sikh gurus also did not stay very long in Bangladesh to propagate their religion. During the Mughal and British rule, Sikh soldiers used to be posted to Bangladesh for short periods. They kept very much to themselves and did not develop close relationships with the local people from whom they differed not only in religion but also in language and lifestyle.

In Bangladesh Sikhism exist as a minor religion with approximately 15000-20000 followers. The grand secretary of Gurudwara management committee in Bangladesh told this author that in Bangladesh there are seven Gurudwaras. Those are: Gurdwara Guru Nanak Chowk Bazar, Dhaka; Gurdwara Nanak Shahi, Dhaka university campus, Dhaka; Gurdwara Sangat Tola, Dhaka; Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur, Dhaka; Sikh Temple Chowk Bazaar, Chittagong; Sikh Temple Punjabi Lane Phahartali, Chittagong; Gurdwara Sahib Shivpuri, Mymensingh. The main Sikh temple in Bangladesh is Gurdwara Nanak Shahi situated on the campus of Dhaka University. All of above Sikh Gurdwaras are run by charitable funds.

So they want to replace Pakistan with BD? Fine. There choice.

120 RS is still a very small amount and asking for two photographs and two visa forms 35 days prior to visit isn't a crime either.

Is this ceremony as important as visiting the birth place of Guru Nanak?

As mentioned in post No 1 they are switching to BD as a protest against the visa issues in Pak.

Besides , these Jathas do visit places the world ( Asia) over wherever the Sikh Gurus travelled and Gurudwaras were made.

Example Iraq:

Guru Nanak Dev Ji is said to have visited the place on his way back from Mecca where he stopped to speak with religious leaders including the caretaker of the mausoleums of Abdul Qadir gilani and Bahlol the Wise, who were greatly impressed by his views on God and religion. A monument, in the form of a platform, was raised where Guru Nanak had sat and provided these discourses. It is documented that Sikh soldiers who went to Iraq during the First World War, 1914-18, raised a Gurdwara here, but now only a room exists which is visited by Sikh and non-Sikh Punjabis who work in Iraq. In addition, it is noted that since the gurdwara is located within a graveyard, visitors are banned from staying overnight, cooking meals or holding Langar and Kirtan.

Recently spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, who is on a peace mission to Iraq, met with Iraqi Vice President Adil Abd-al-Mahdi about rebuilding the over 500-year-old Sikh shrine.

1fl7Xwi.jpg

For those of you who are interested, the inscription on the shrine reads:

“Lo! The Great God hath fulfilled the wish. A new building for Baba Nanak Darvesh has been constructed. Seven holy men extended their help in the construction. Its date as reckoned comes to 927. The lucky disciple caused a new current of water from the earth.”

@kobiraaz

I have a suggestion - actually a point to ponder.

Everything to do with BD does not necessarily have to do with its defense.

Subjects like these which are unlikely to impact the defense of a nation and have relevance to other countries in the region could well be a part of South Asian affairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom