@blue Ocean

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Star Business Report
Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:38 AM
Last update on: Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:40 AM

'Reserve below $18b if BB liability considered'

Bangladesh's foreign currency reserves would be less than $18 billion if the central bank's liabilities are considered, according to Zahid Hussain, a former lead economist of the World Bank's Dhaka office.

The central bank is regularly publishing its gross foreign reserves in line with the formula of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and it now stands at $21 billion.

"But if the central bank's liabilities are taken into account, then the net foreign currency reserve would be less than $18 billion," he said.
"And although the reserve situation has not reached an alarming level yet, it is now a matter of concern," Hussain added.

This is because Bangladesh Bank is selling more than $1 billion worth of US dollars each month. Besides, the country's foreign currency expenditure against income has remained at a $1 billion deficit for the past 24 months.
"So, we are not at the satisfactory stage that we had been in the recent past," the economist said.

Hussain warned that if forex usage continues at the current rate, the country would run out of foreign currency at some point.
"Then, the exchange rate can't be contained at the current level and it will go out of control," he added.

Hussain made these comments while speaking to reporters after the annual conference of the International Business Forum of Bangladesh (IBFB) at Gulshan Club Limited in Dhaka. The event was chaired by IBFB President Humayun Rashid.

Hussain expressed dissatisfaction over the prevalence of income inequality, saying economic growth will have its expected benefits if the situation continues.
Around 90 percent of the population made less than $10 per day in 2022 while it was less than $4 for the bottom 50 percent.

On the other hand, the top 1 percent earned nearly $110 a day that year.
"There is no possibility of becoming a middle-income country by 2031 if the income inequality continues at the current pace," Hussain said.

He also said Bangladesh needs average economic growth of nearly 8 percent to become a middle-income country by 2031 while more than 10 percent growth is needed to achieve high-income status by 2041.

Hussain suggested that Bangladesh needs to increase its productivity and income level of workers in order to tackle this situation.

Speaking as chief guest, Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Pranay K Verma said there is a big possibility in the future of bilateral trade through the Indian rupee, which started in July.

"The Indian rupee trading has just begun in response to the long-standing demand of local businesses of the two countries," he said, adding that visa processing should be made easier and faster for the business community.

I don't understand why the reserve is down. Our exports are fine, foreign exchange from our expat workers is also fine. Traditionally these are the two sources of our foreign currency reserve. If they are fine, why is the reserve down?

I don't understand why the reserve is down. Our exports are fine, foreign exchange from our expat workers is also fine. Traditionally these are the two sources of our foreign currency reserve. If they are fine, why is the reserve down?

Expenses are up.

The inflow of remittances has significantly gone down in recent months.

1696468014632.png

View attachment 958274

What I understand from that is our import bill has increased more than twice ?
I wonder why out import bill is double, other that the oil and gas price, what is causing double import bill?

Yup, last year trade balance is likely the one that decrease lot of BD reserve

Other reason is likely your Central Bank frequent intervention to keep Taka currency value against the USD

I wonder why out import bill is double, other that the oil and gas price, what is causing double import bill?
Money laundering is another issue which might have decreased our foreign exchange reserve.

Money laundering is another issue which might have decreased our foreign exchange reserve.

I was thinking that to be the case. AL got the hint already that they will likely be out of power, so they started transferring money overseas. Oil prices were up but it's normal again now. Our oil and gas bills can't be so high that our import bill is double.

Higher global Inflation due to

1. Russia invasion push up oil, gas, and other commodity prices
2. Minimum Salary increase due to inflation (Globally)

It makes the price of manufactured goods imported by BD is raised as well thus higher import bill

-----------------------------------

Structural problem that results lack of domestic industry outside of textile to meet domestic demand = BD people income raising due to economic growth increases the consumption of imported goods and higher foreign and domestic investment also increases (imported) capital goods and (imported) raw material as well

-----------------------------------

Other reason of decreasing USD reserve beside due to trade deficit :

The US Fed policy to increase interest rate since end of 2021 until now make many currency get under-pressured. It could be BD Central Bank not raising interest rate higher enough to hold the value of Taka against USD and prefer market intervension by selling USD in the market.

Some Central Bank get reluctant to raise interest rate because it can decrease demand/consumption and lower economic growth. High NPL ( Non Performing Loan ) in banking sector also another reason that make Central Bank get reluctant to increase interest rate high enough. I have checked BD banks NPL, it is very hight and already alarming.

Last edited:
Just need to make it to february banglabros

Valentines season. There will be billions of chaddis to stitch.

I personally swear on our brotherhood that my woman will ONLY waste my money on bangladeshs finest products.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom