What's new

Shireen Mazari Exclusive Talk on CNN with Christiane Amanpour

She will perhaps be a defence minister, not a foreign minister but even as FM, she will deliver some nice punches to the enemy..India. The world is moving towards hard talkers... Trump, Modi, Erdogan...so she will be a right fit.

There is difference between being firm and being hard. We need somebody who has wide repertoire of linguistic and influential tools in his/her skill-set and who is able to use them as needed. Let me speak of a different aspect here, and I am probably getting too picky here, but shireen is not nice to listen to. You cannot listen to her arguments as her tone (not voice) feels elevated and amplified almost all the time. This kind of vocal personality is not what you wait to listen, or want to attend long. Here is another person, a man of her type by the name Tallal choudhry, and you cannot listen to his arguments long. He is firm, he is strong, but his stances are too pointy to be acceptable. He probably wins the moment, but never convinces you to believe what he believe.

On the other hand, Hina Rabbani Khar is has some qualities which make her comparatively a better choice than Shireen. If I had to pull a fight with somebody, I would definitely want Shireen Mizari to be with me, but if I want to win a deal, a hard argument or make new allies then Hina is a better person to be with. Against India, we have plentiful talent. We can request General Bajwa to give 30 minutes every now and then :D

Now let me tell you what I think is a good rather an excellent diplomat. Watch this video and find how softly, and firmy, but authoritatively Shashi Tharoor has eliminated his opponents, and no one even felt offended for losing to him.

Did not know this. Thanks.

Great post. I was of thinking of SM as defence minister? Not foreign minister. Maybe Shah Mehmood Qureshi? If Khwaja Asif was not tainted by being in PML I would have him as FM. His performance under intense American pressure in Washington was exceptional. I am firm believer that in the greater cause of Pakistan talent should be scouted from everywhere.

Ps. Asad Umar with his background in corporate management is best suited as finance minister.

Shireen can be an adviser and her experience and opinion is worthwhile, but for defence minister, I would prefer someone who believes working for defence is like an ongoing prayer. People who are "doers", they are naturally less vocal, they are a bit introvert and not so shiny on the surface. If you see Premier of KP, Perveiz Khatak was one such person. He has been Premier for 5 years and we do not even know him much - but when it comes to service and delivery, he has delivered miles ahead of Shahbaz Sharif who believed in visibility as well as work. You cannot have two priorities. Its either visibility or work - but never both.

Defence of Pakistan is sacred. If you ask me for a choice, I really don't have a name in my head - but may be because I am sitting too far away to see great choices you have on the ground. I personally don't like "petrol personality", people who can be angered at will and Khuaja Asif is one of those. You can make him angry - and people who can be made angry, can be manipulated. May be somebody like President Xi who is cold on the face, but Mount Everest within. Exceptional Innings do not speak of quality of a personality. On a good day, anybody can hit couple of sixes and couple of times in their life time.

Last edited:
She holds a doctorate in Political Science and has for many years been grooming students at prestigeous institutes including the military.
If I am not wrong she delivered lectures in Command and Staff College .

She will be defense minister ?? Heard it from few sources..

• Mazari studied at the London School of Economics and later received her PhD from Columbia University in political science. Mazari joined Quaid-e-Azam University as an associate professor and went on to head the university's strategic studies department. In 2002, Mazari became the head of the government-funded Institute of Strategic Studies and remained until she was sacked in 2008. In 2009, Mazari became the editor of The Nation.

Mazari joined the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf in 2008 and was elected to the National Assembly in 2013 from Punjab.
I dont like this idea...why are we Pakistanis answering to americans?

I dont like this idea...why are we Pakistanis answering to americans?

What do you mean???

In the community of nations Pakistan has to project its view point to global viewers. Pakistan is not a North Korea living in Isolation. Millions of Pakistanis live overseas who are proud of their roots and have to defend their country and calm down reservations of different nationals. Being open to media at government level is extremely important in this age to project a soft image of country.

The new people are working magic for Pakistan.

Decade old politicians are dying off in Pakistan

Apt describtion. But also matched with intelligence.

Ofcourse.

I also like this man to be part of foreign policy think tank. His writings are thought provoking.

Munir Akram
5ae4f6d65c101.jpg

There is difference between being firm and being hard. We need somebody who has wide repertoire of linguistic and influential tools in his/her skill-set and who is able to use them as needed. Let me speak of a different aspect here, and I am probably getting too picky here, but shireen is not nice to listen to. You cannot listen to her arguments as her tone (not voice) feels elevated and amplified almost all the time.
hmmmm somewhat...but I think it is subjective...The more we will know her, the more we will like her or otherwise...Right now my overall impression of her is positive. State level talks are different.

This kind of vocal personality is not what you wait to listen, or want to attend long. Here is another person, a man of her type by the name Tallal choudhry, and you cannot listen to his arguments long. He is firm, he is strong, but his stances are too pointy to be acceptable. He probably wins the moment, but never convinces you to believe what he believe.
I think it is not fair to compare her with a goon. She has not been TV programs and she has not lied...

On the other hand, Hina Rabbani Khar is has some qualities which make her comparatively a better choice than Shireen. If I had to pull a fight with somebody, I would definitely want Shireen Mizari to be with me, but if I want to win a deal, a hard argument or make new allies then Hina is a better person to be with. Against India, we have plentiful talent.
I agree about Hina Rabbani Khar though even she lacked a few essential qualities. She was more like a pretty face and fashionable lady, with good manners but still we don't have much to write home about her ...I mean what are her achievements. But I agree pre-Zardari-PPP always had a better team, more educated and refined people than PMLn mafia. Shah Mehmood Qureshi will be a nice foreign minister, firm..refined, reasonable voice and tone... so I'm convinced he will be a good foreign minister.
Now let me tell you what I think is a good rather an excellent diplomat. Watch this video and find how softly, and firmy, but authoritatively Shashi Tharoor has eliminated his opponents, and no one even felt offended for losing to him.
I have watched this previously and I liked the man but Gangadesh is not using his talent because he represents congress I guess.

However state level relations are different...

There's a reason why Shireen Mazari is being made Defence Minister. It's the same reason why Khawaja Asif was also made defence minister. To keep her out of trouble and out of the way.

Very articulate. Good points. Firm but engaging. Good asset with #TeamKhan.

#TeamKhan could do with this guy's weight'. Abdullah Hussein Haroon. what a character. Fat, but full of it. This guy should be Pakistan Media manager and unleashed in western capitals to take on all the negative reports in western media. What a cracker this guy is!

Well what about Mushahid Hussain Sayed ?

i like how she respond to the question about Imran khan been pro Taliban ... Camera man should have shown journalist face when she face the reality of America after all the effort and might have to eventually come to dialog table for peace in Afghanistan ..

What do you mean???

In the community of nations Pakistan has to project its view point to global viewers. Pakistan is not a North Korea living in Isolation. Millions of Pakistanis live overseas who are proud of their roots and have to defend their country and calm down reservations of different nationals. Being open to media at government level is extremely important in this age to project a soft image of country.
Well i agree totally, we must project ourselves to the world but there are some issues that corresponds to our internal matter and we shouldnt let other countries delegates to poke their noses into it, like when she was asking about rigging in election. I mean, have we ever called upon american government officials and asked them about the rigged elections in their country? We have never seen chinese or russian showing their concerns about our elections. Every country should respect our government no matter how good or how bad it is.

The new people are working magic for Pakistan.

Decade old politicians are dying off in Pakistan
Not just politics but every sphere of life. From sportsman to scientists from actors to entrepreneurs. Pakistan is land of supreme natural talent, only if they are given the opportunity.

If I am not wrong she delivered lectures in Command and Staff College .
That and many other places within military establishment.

There's a reason why Shireen Mazari is being made Defence Minister. It's the same reason why Khawaja Asif was also made defence minister. To keep her out of trouble and out of the way.
She alone knows more about defence than the entire generations of Khawaja Asif. :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom