What's new

Sanction Myanmar And Give The Rohingya A State Of Their Own

When you have such an incredible advantage you can do what Sun Tzu said, win without fighting
The problem is, Muslims though share a religion superficially, have lot of infighting.
Let's not forget that Syrian refugees didn't find refuge in ME.

Rohingya issue better be solved ASAP. They have already begun to move to India.

People who should be on the same side, fighting each other over small ideological differences
Trust me an Arab treats a non Arab Muslim differently. In fact if you are in Middle East the chances are a Pakistani /BD Muslim will find himself closer to an Indian Hindu than an Arab Muslim.
I see it happening all the time.

Anders Corr ,

In the 8th Century A.D., Rakhine State of modern Myanmar was the Kingdom of Arakan, populated by the Rohingya. But with increasing frequency over time, in 1784, 1942, 1977, 1991, 2012, and 2014, waves of Muslim minority Rohingya fled Rakhine due to extreme forms of repression from various Buddhist-majority Burmese governments. The resulting Rohingya diaspora of 1.5 million is global, and outnumbers the 1.3 million living in Myanmar itself. The plurality of Rohingya refugees fled to Bangladesh, where 300,000 to 500,000 now live in squalid settlements. The persistent repression and lack of representation suffered by the Rohingya gives them a right to their own state in the Rakhine region of Myanmar. The international community has a moral imperative to support the Rohingya , and pressure Myanmar through economic sanctions . If the Myanmar government dislikes that idea and wants to keep Rakhine State, it should rapidly correct its provision of human rights to the Rohingya and repatriate the Rohingya refugees.

The Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar, a Buddhist-majority country, is
under attack by their own government. What the Myanmar military has called “clearance operations” and a senior U.N. official calls “ethnic cleansing” has been revived against the Rohingya over the past three months. Myanmar is riddled with racism against Muslims, and the Myanmar military, unlike most professional militaries, could have financial incentives to cause the Rohingya to flee. The military uses land it takes from peasants for private agri-business.

In the last few months, extensive evidence emerged that the Myanmar military is committing what I would call a campaign of terror against its defenseless Rohingya minority. Murders, rapes, and restricting the right of the economically precarious Rohingya to fish in their ancestral fishing grounds are likely meant to clear land by forcing the Rohingya out of Myanmar. In 2012, clashes between Rohingya Muslims and Myanmar Buddhists led to the displacement of 125,000 people. Some allege that the Myanmar military looked the other way, or participated against the Muslims. The military has since torched 1,200 homes, and forced 150,000 into what one Time Magazine reporter calls “concentration camps”. Hundreds of thousands of the Muslim minority were disallowed from voting in the last election. This recurring and recently renewed atrocity has caused an additional 25,000 Rohingya to flee into Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Malaysia since 2012.

The camps are a new strategy by Myanmar against the Rohingya, and are ringed with government checkpoints. Residents must obtain government permission to leave. The military bars journalists and most aid groups from entry. Food and medical care is scarce, and Rohingya deaths from easily-preventable illnesses and malnutrition are rising. These camps are a contemporary and brutal manifestation of the failed strategic hamlet strategy of 1960s Vietnam, meant to isolate a developing Rohingya insurgency.

It is unconscionable for Myanmar to again cause the flight of Rohingya. Myanmar has agreed in writing on multiple occasions in the past that the Rohingya are residents of Myanmar. To welch on those agreements now puts Myanmar into a category of country that violates international norms and laws. Amnesty International has called such activities by Myanmar potential “crimes against humanity.” One Time Magazine author has called it a “genocidal terror.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andersc...e-rohingya-a-state-of-their-own/#62b7ed58ce9a

View attachment 364352
Please do, lets carve out a new muslim state out of bangladesh. Lets see how generous muslims are towards fellow muslims.

Fair point.

My argument here is that Muslims across the world actually do follow a shared culture/civilization.

I've been to Malaysia quite a few times, do you know their names are exactly the same as the names used by Arab Muslims? Same in Indonesia, etc. Their cultural history, myths, rituals, etc. are based on the same source, from the Middle East.

Yes there are quite significant differences if you pay close enough attention, but to a foreigner there is little way to tell the difference between a Malaysian Muslim and an Arab Muslim by their cultural rites and rituals.
No, we don't really share a common culture or civilization. That's simply not true.

Malaysia's culture is Southeast Asian. It's a combination of both South Asian and East Asian cultures. It's extremely different from the cultures of the Middle East.

Even in the Arabic-speaking World, the culture varies significantly from one geographic region to the next. For example, Lebanon and Tunisia are culturally closer to Southern Europe than they are to Sudan and Saudi Arabia.

In any case, the Muslim World can't really do anything against Myanmar. No country will go to economic or military war against Myanmar over the Rohingya -- not even Bangladesh. It's a real shame, but it's the ugly truth.

By the way, I don't think you should be in favor of Muslim countries putting economic sanctions on Myanmar over the Rohingya issue. This might set a dangerous precedent and come back to haunt countries like China in the future. Don't forget that there are many Muslims around the world today who wish their governments would take more active measures against China over its supposed mistreatment of the Uighur minority.

Last edited:
No, we don't really share a common culture or civilization. That's simply not true.

Malaysia's culture is Southeast Asian. It's a combination of both South Asian and East Asian cultures. It's extremely different from the cultures of the Middle East.

Even in the Arabic-speaking World, the culture varies significantly from one geographic region to the next. For example, Lebanon and Tunisia are culturally closer to Southern Europe than they are to Sudan and Saudi Arabia.

They are much closer in cultural terms than they are with outsiders, such as Chinese Atheists for example.

We are talking the hallmarks of a civilization, cultural rites and rituals and ideologies.

By the way, I don't think you should be in favor of Muslim countries putting economic sanctions on Myanmar over the Rohingya issue. This might set a dangerous precedent and come back to haunt countries like China in the future. Don't forget that there are many Muslims around the world today who wish their governments would take more active measures against China over its supposed mistreatment of the Uighur minority.

I'm not in favor of anything, I'm simply saying they already have the power to do something about it, if they want to. I'm not a Muslim, I have no stake in this argument, I see it as a humanitarian crisis like all the others.

But apparently you (as a Muslim) personally do not believe anything should be done? Since you are advising/warning me not to support any action against Myanmar?

Last edited:
Muslim world can only unite if Saudi, Iran, Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia are on the same page. Rest of them would follow the suit.

But the possibility of this happening in 100 years, is almost 0.

They are much closer in cultural terms than they are with outsiders, such as Chinese Atheists for example.

We are talking the hallmarks of a civilization, cultural rites and rituals and ideologies.
No they're not.

Tunisian Muslims are culturally closer to Maltese Christians than they are to Kuwaiti Muslims.

Lebanese Muslims are culturally closer to Greek Christians than they are to Yemeni Muslims.

Similarly, Southeast Asian Muslims (e.g. Indonesians and Malaysians) are culturally closer to Filipinos, Vietnamese people and Thai people than they are to Persians, Turks, and Arabs.

Religion doesn't mean anything. The culture of Southeast Asia (e.g. Malaysia and Indonesia) is, generally speaking, a mixture of South Asian and East Asian cultures.

A Malaysian Muslim in Kuala Lumpur has more in common with a Chinese Atheist in Malaysia and Singapore than he does with a Muslim Arab from Algeria.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm not in favor of anything, I'm simply saying they already have the power to do something about it, if they want to. I'm not a Muslim, I have no stake in this argument, I see it as a humanitarian crisis like all the others.

But apparently you personally do not believe anything should be done?
I think the international community should sanction Myanmar. I don't want to see a group of countries sharing a similar religion ganging up on Myanmar while the rest of the world does nothing as that will simply create more religious tensions. Also, it'll set a dangerous precedent.

Myanmar should be punished by the international community and not by one particular group of people.

Also, I think Bangladesh should do a lot more than it's currently doing. The Rohingya are pretty much a Bangladeshi people. Bangladesh should at the very least set up refugee camps for the Rohingya who are fleeing Burmese persecution.

Religion doesn't mean anything.

Seriously?

A Malaysian Muslim in Kuala Lumpur has more in common with a Chinese Atheist in Malaysia and Singapore than he does with a Muslim Arab from Algeria.

Anyway, I digress.

As someone who has family members in Malaysia, and who has lived there for some time, I completely disagree with you.

Why don't you tell me what cultural rituals, festivals and common mythology and belief systems do the Malaysian Muslims share with a Chinese Atheist like myself? Do you know idol worship is a part of Chinese culture and even Atheists like myself have idols of various Gods in my house?

Also, I think Bangladesh should do a lot more than it's currently doing. The Rohingya are pretty much Bangladeshi people. Bangladesh should at the very least set up refugee camps for Rohingya who are fleeing Burmese persecution.

This sounds like something an Indian member would say.

Last edited:
Seriously?
Yes, seriously.

Religion has little to do with culture. Culture has, in fact, influenced religion in so many ways, which is exactly why Islam is practiced differently around the world. Islam is practiced differently in Bedouin Arab culture than it is in Turkey.

As someone who has family members in Malaysia, and who has lived there for some time, I completely disagree with you.
Alright then. Tell me what exactly do Malaysians share with people from the Middle East?

Is Malaysian architecture similar to Arabian/Persian/Turkish architecture? No.

Is Malaysian music similar to the music of the Middle East? No.

Is Malaysian cuisine related to Middle Eastern cuisine? Again, the answer is no.

We don't share a common culture. That's a fact.

Southeast Asia's culture is mainly determined by its own climate and geography, which is extremely different from the climate and geography of the Middle East. Moreover, Southeast Asian culture is highly influenced by nearby cultures due to maritime trade, namely the cultures of Indochina, East Asia, and South Asia.

This sounds like something an Indian member would say.
Am I supposed to feel offended by this statement or something?

Am I supposed to feel offended by this statement or something?

Whatever you are, from your posts you do not strike me as being an Arab, or supporting any kind of Arab causes.

In this very thread you were warning me away from supporting action/sanctions against Myanmar (even though I never supported it to begin with).

I can tell you that in Malaysia, Chinese worship idols of multiple Gods and cook with pork in the majority of our dishes, we can't even eat in the same restaurants unless they are specifically made to be Halal. Which isn't targeted at Chinese anyway.

Whereas Malaysian Muslims do pray several times a day and regularly visit their local Mosques which have loudspeakers and learn in Arabic to read the Quran.

Do you know how Malaysians say "Hello"?

It is "Selamat" (from salaam). Does that sound more like Chinese or Arabic?

Do you know what the name of the Malaysian Prime Minister is? Mohammad Najib bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak. You can tell me anytime if that name is more Arabic or more Chinese.

The current Sultan of Malaysia? Muhammad. Do you believe that Chinese monarchs were called Sultans, an Arabic word?

Last edited:
Whatever you are, from your posts you do not strike me as being an Arab, or supporting any kind of Arab causes.
I'm not the least bit surprised. You have obviously stereotyped Arabs and the Middle Easterners to the point where you expect them to behave according to your expectations.

And by the way, I'm not an ethnic Arab. Half of the citizens in Kuwait are "Ajam". Look it up.

In this very thread you were warning me away from supporting action/sanctions against Myanmar (even though I never supported it to begin with).
No, I didn't. I explicitly said that we mustn't turn this into a religious issue as it will set a dangerous precedent. Instead of turning this into an issue between the Muslim World and Myanmar, the entire international community should act and end the conflict as soon as possible.

You were advocating some sort of a Muslim intervention in Myanmar. Would you like it if the Muslim World decides to one day intervene in Xinjiang on behalf of the Uighurs? Yeah, I doubt you would.

I really don't like these double standards. You were probably trying to appease some members around here, but I doubt you'll find it acceptable if the Muslim World decides to unite against China because of what the Chinese government is supposedly doing to the Uighurs in Xinjiang.

I can tell you that in Malaysia, Chinese worship idols of multiple Gods and cook with pork in the majority of our dishes, we can't even eat in the same restaurants unless they are specifically made to be Halal. Which isn't targeted at Chinese anyway.

Whereas Malaysian Muslims do pray several times a day and regularly visit their local Mosques which have loudspeakers and learn in Arabic to read the Quran.

Do you know how Malaysians say "Hello"?

It is "Selamat" (from salaam). Does that sound more like Chinese or Arabic?
You're bring up some very basic and weak argument points.

Many languages in the Middle East contain English and French loanwords. Does that suddenly mean they're culturally related to Western Europe?

The fact is, culture is the result of a region's distinct geography and climate.

You didn't answer any of my above questions.

Can you find strong similarities between the cuisine, culinary practices, architecture, art, music, lifestyle, superstitions, and tools of Southeast Asia and those of the Middle East? The short answer is no.

You basically lumped all Muslims into one category, which is the exact kind of bigoted thing that people in Western Europe and the United States have been doing for the last one hundred years.

You were advocating some sort of a Muslim intervention in Myanmar. Would you like it if the Muslim World decides to one day intervene in Xinjiang on behalf of the Uighurs? Yeah, I doubt you would.

I really don't like these double standards.

For the third time, I wasn't advocating anything at all. You can't argue without putting words into my mouth. :lol:

I said that the Muslim world has the power to do something about it, if they wish. I took no political position on the matter, since I am not a stakeholder in the dispute.

But there is no point arguing with a false-flagger such as yourself. Have fun, and tell me if your name is closer to Arabic (like those of Muslim Malays) or Chinese.

For the third time, I wasn't advocating anything at all. You can't argue without putting words into my mouth. :lol:

I said that the Muslim world has the power to do something about it, if they wish. I took no political position on the matter, since I am not a stakeholder in the dispute.

But there is no point arguing with a false-flagger such as yourself. Have fun, and tell me if your name is closer to Arabic or Chinese.
Yup, I must be faking my nationality because you weren't capable of answering my questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom