What's new

Sanction Myanmar And Give The Rohingya A State Of Their Own

Malaysians use the Latin script. Going by your logic, I guess that means Malaysian culture is very close to European culture.

Well there are a lot of Islamic culture which is shared by common Muslim all across the world. For instance Arabic/Farsi names, wearing burka, having biriani ane kebab, greeting with salam, marriage and wedding, praying,, waking up in the Fajr and above all believing in islamic brotherhood.

Well there are a lot of Islamic culture which is shared by common Muslim all across the world. For instance Arabic/Farsi names, wearing burka, having biriani ane kebab, greeting with salam, marriage and wedding, praying,, waking up in the Fajr and above all believing in islamic brotherhood.

That has been my experience as well, from my time living in Malaysia.

I'm only using your logic.

Malaysia shares the same culture as Europe because of the Latin script lol.

That's the gist of your entire argument by the way.

Again, that was never my argument. :no:

How do you write the name of the Iranian President in Persian script?

The burqa is a Christian invention, by the way. Muslim Arabs took it from the Byzantine Christians.

That has been my experience as well, from my time living in Malaysia.

Again, that was never my argument. :no:

How do you write the name of the Iranian President in Persian script?
You claimed that Malaysian and Indonesian culture was based on Middle Eastern culture, which is simply untrue.

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, the fact remains that Southeast Asia has its own distinct culture that is largely the result of its own climatic and geographic conditions. Also, the greatest influences on Southeast Asian culture have come from Indochina, East Asia and South Asia, irrespective of religion.

These are facts.

Culture is more than religious beliefs. Culture includes lifestyle, music, art, architecture, food, clothing, superstitions, tools, sports/games, musical instruments, folk dances, etc. None of these things are the same in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, absolutely none.

You claimed that Malaysian and Indonesian culture was based on Middle Eastern culture, which is simply untrue.

I never said that. Not once. Go and check the thread. :P

And the reason why people use Latin script is obvious, it is because of the Western colonization and domination of the world over the past two centuries.

And yes, with the writing system also comes Western culture. There are no shortage of Coca Cola signs and jeans in Malaysia. Hell, we are both speaking in English right now.

Culture is based on things like language, food and religion. On all three counts, your assertion that Muslim Malays are closer to Chinese than they are to Muslim Arabs is incorrect.

We can't even eat at the same restaurants (Chinese eat pork all the time and Muslim Malays eat Halal). We can't pray in the same temples (Chinese temples are polytheist and practice idol worship), or partake in the same festivals (for the same reason). They can't read Chinese script and we can't read their Jawi (Arabic) script. They say hello as a variant of "Salam", just like Persians do. They pray and read the Quran in Arabic.

Last edited:
I never said that. Not once. Go and check the thread. :P

And the reason why people use Latin script is obvious, it is because of the Western colonization and domination of the world over the past two centuries.

And yes, with the writing system also comes Western culture. There are no shortage of Coca Cola signs and jeans in Malaysia. Hell, we are both speaking in English right now.
This is what you said:

"I've been to Malaysia quite a few times, do you know their names are exactly the same as the names used by Arab Muslims? Same in Indonesia, etc. Their cultural history, myths, rituals, etc. are based on the same source, from the Middle East."

Have you heard of cultural anthropology, by the way?

Scientifically, this is how cultures are actually classified:

1. Circum-Mediterannean

Circum-mediterannean_sccs_cultures.jpg

2. East Eurasia

East_eurasian_sccs_cultures.jpg

3. Insular Pacific

Insular_pacific.jpg

This is what you said:

"I've been to Malaysia quite a few times, do you know their names are exactly the same as the names used by Arab Muslims? Same in Indonesia, etc. Their cultural history, myths, rituals, etc. are based on the same source, from the Middle East."

Have you heard of cultural anthropology, by the way?

Scientifically, this is how cultures are actually classified:

1. Circum-Mediterannean

Circum-mediterannean_sccs_cultures.jpg

2. East Eurasia

East_eurasian_sccs_cultures.jpg

3. Insular Pacific

Insular_pacific.jpg

Have you ever even been to Malaysia? :P

They wake up, say their prayers in Arabic, say hello to their friends (Salaam) who also have names fully in Arabic. They go and have a meal (Halal), say their prayers, go to the Mosque, etc. I remember them making a big deal out of fasting during Eid. And they pray facing towards Mecca.

How is any of this closer to Chinese than it is to Muslim Arabic? What part of their daily routine has any similarity to Chinese traditions?

Do you think we pray facing Mecca several times a day, then go have a Halal meal and then pray at the Mosque?

Have you ever even been to Malaysia? :P

They wake up, say their prayers in Arabic, say hello to their friends (Salaam) who also have names fully in Arabic. They go and have a meal (Halal), say their prayers, go to the Mosque, etc. I remember them making a big deal out of fasting during Eid. And they pray facing towards Mecca.

How is any of this closer to Chinese than it is to Muslim Arabic? What part of their daily routine has any similarity to Chinese traditions?

Do you think we pray facing Mecca several times a day, then go have a Halal meal and then pray at the Mosque?
I never said Malaysian culture was close to Chinese culture.

What I said is that the cultures of Southeast Asia, namely Malaysian culture and Indonesian culture, have little or nothing to do with the cultures of the Middle East, and that they are largely the product of Southeast Asia's climate and geography, as well as the product of strong cultural influences from South Asia, Indochina, and East Asia.

And that's a fact.

The climate is different, the geography is different, the history is different, and the influences are different.

Therefore, contrary to your earlier claims, which it seems you've backtracked on, Malaysia does not share the same culture as the Middle East or Arab World.

Christians in the Philippines and Zimbabwe go to church and celebrate Christian holidays. Does that mean the Philippines and Zimbabwe share the same culture and civilization? Honestly, you're being incredibly simplistic.

I don't think you've ever visited this part of the world.

It would be a failed and rouge state like Burma itself..

I never said Malaysian culture was close to Chinese culture.

What I said is that the cultures of Southeast Asia, namely Malaysian culture and Indonesian culture, have little or nothing to do with the cultures of the Middle East, and that they are largely the product of Southeast Asia's climate and geography, as well as strong cultural influences from South Asia, Indochina, and East Asia.

And that's a fact.

The climate is different, the geography is different, the history is different, and the influences are different.

Therefore, contrary to your earlier claims, which it seems you've backtracked on, Malaysia does not share the same culture as the Middle East or Arab World.

Christians in the Philippines and Zimbabwe go to church and celebrate Christian holidays. Does that mean the Philippines and Zimbabwe share the same culture and civilization? Honestly, you're being incredibly simplistic.

I don't think you've ever visited this part of the world.

If you think religion is not a huge part of Muslim Malay culture, then I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Like I said:

"They wake up, say their prayers in Arabic, say hello to their friends (Salaam) who also have names fully in Arabic. They go and have a meal (Halal), say their prayers, go to the Mosque, etc. I remember them making a big deal out of fasting during Eid. And they pray facing towards Mecca."

None of this daily ritual is in any way similar to that of a Chinese Atheist. But it is very similar to another Muslim from another part of the world. In the Middle East for example. Or even a Muslim living in Britain.

It's something that academics refer to as "Islamic culture". Look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_culture

It would be a failed and rouge state like Burma itself..

With so many expatriate Rohingya pouring money and few large gas field it has the potential to become another Singapore. Dont measure everyone with the same scale.

If you think religion is not a huge part of Muslim Malay culture, then I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Like I said:

"They wake up, say their prayers in Arabic, say hello to their friends (Salaam) who also have names fully in Arabic. They go and have a meal (Halal), say their prayers, go to the Mosque, etc. I remember them making a big deal out of fasting during Eid. And they pray facing towards Mecca."

None of this daily ritual is in any way similar to that of a Chinese Atheist. But it is very similar to another Muslim from another part of the world.
Culture influences religion more than religion influences culture. That's a fact of life, and that's exactly why Islam varies significantly from place to place.

Malaysian Islam is not the same as Bedouin Arab Islam, and Bedouin Arab Islam is not the same as Turkish European Islam.

Like I said:

None of this daily ritual is in any way similar to that of a Chinese Atheist. But it is very similar to another Muslim from another part of the world. In the Middle East for example. Or even a Muslim living in Britain.

She thinks culture means, some girls go to stage and have some dirty dance. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom