What's new

Sanction Myanmar And Give The Rohingya A State Of Their Own

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Anders Corr ,

In the 8th Century A.D., Rakhine State of modern Myanmar was the Kingdom of Arakan, populated by the Rohingya. But with increasing frequency over time, in 1784, 1942, 1977, 1991, 2012, and 2014, waves of Muslim minority Rohingya fled Rakhine due to extreme forms of repression from various Buddhist-majority Burmese governments. The resulting Rohingya diaspora of 1.5 million is global, and outnumbers the 1.3 million living in Myanmar itself. The plurality of Rohingya refugees fled to Bangladesh, where 300,000 to 500,000 now live in squalid settlements. The persistent repression and lack of representation suffered by the Rohingya gives them a right to their own state in the Rakhine region of Myanmar. The international community has a moral imperative to support the Rohingya , and pressure Myanmar through economic sanctions . If the Myanmar government dislikes that idea and wants to keep Rakhine State, it should rapidly correct its provision of human rights to the Rohingya and repatriate the Rohingya refugees.

The Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar, a Buddhist-majority country, is
under attack by their own government. What the Myanmar military has called “clearance operations” and a senior U.N. official calls “ethnic cleansing” has been revived against the Rohingya over the past three months. Myanmar is riddled with racism against Muslims, and the Myanmar military, unlike most professional militaries, could have financial incentives to cause the Rohingya to flee. The military uses land it takes from peasants for private agri-business.

In the last few months, extensive evidence emerged that the Myanmar military is committing what I would call a campaign of terror against its defenseless Rohingya minority. Murders, rapes, and restricting the right of the economically precarious Rohingya to fish in their ancestral fishing grounds are likely meant to clear land by forcing the Rohingya out of Myanmar. In 2012, clashes between Rohingya Muslims and Myanmar Buddhists led to the displacement of 125,000 people. Some allege that the Myanmar military looked the other way, or participated against the Muslims. The military has since torched 1,200 homes, and forced 150,000 into what one Time Magazine reporter calls “concentration camps”. Hundreds of thousands of the Muslim minority were disallowed from voting in the last election. This recurring and recently renewed atrocity has caused an additional 25,000 Rohingya to flee into Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Malaysia since 2012.

The camps are a new strategy by Myanmar against the Rohingya, and are ringed with government checkpoints. Residents must obtain government permission to leave. The military bars journalists and most aid groups from entry. Food and medical care is scarce, and Rohingya deaths from easily-preventable illnesses and malnutrition are rising. These camps are a contemporary and brutal manifestation of the failed strategic hamlet strategy of 1960s Vietnam, meant to isolate a developing Rohingya insurgency.

It is unconscionable for Myanmar to again cause the flight of Rohingya. Myanmar has agreed in writing on multiple occasions in the past that the Rohingya are residents of Myanmar. To welch on those agreements now puts Myanmar into a category of country that violates international norms and laws. Amnesty International has called such activities by Myanmar potential “crimes against humanity.” One Time Magazine author has called it a “genocidal terror.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andersc...e-rohingya-a-state-of-their-own/#62b7ed58ce9a

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2016-12-30-05-32-52.png

Anders Corr ,

In the 8th Century A.D., Rakhine State of modern Myanmar was the Kingdom of Arakan, populated by the Rohingya. But with increasing frequency over time, in 1784, 1942, 1977, 1991, 2012, and 2014, waves of Muslim minority Rohingya fled Rakhine due to extreme forms of repression from various Buddhist-majority Burmese governments. The resulting Rohingya diaspora of 1.5 million is global, and outnumbers the 1.3 million living in Myanmar itself. The plurality of Rohingya refugees fled to Bangladesh, where 300,000 to 500,000 now live in squalid settlements. The persistent repression and lack of representation suffered by the Rohingya gives them a right to their own state in the Rakhine region of Myanmar. The international community has a moral imperative to support the Rohingya , and pressure Myanmar through economic sanctions . If the Myanmar government dislikes that idea and wants to keep Rakhine State, it should rapidly correct its provision of human rights to the Rohingya and repatriate the Rohingya refugees.

The Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar, a Buddhist-majority country, is
under attack by their own government. What the Myanmar military has called “clearance operations” and a senior U.N. official calls “ethnic cleansing” has been revived against the Rohingya over the past three months. Myanmar is riddled with racism against Muslims, and the Myanmar military, unlike most professional militaries, could have financial incentives to cause the Rohingya to flee. The military uses land it takes from peasants for private agri-business.

In the last few months, extensive evidence emerged that the Myanmar military is committing what I would call a campaign of terror against its defenseless Rohingya minority. Murders, rapes, and restricting the right of the economically precarious Rohingya to fish in their ancestral fishing grounds are likely meant to clear land by forcing the Rohingya out of Myanmar. In 2012, clashes between Rohingya Muslims and Myanmar Buddhists led to the displacement of 125,000 people. Some allege that the Myanmar military looked the other way, or participated against the Muslims. The military has since torched 1,200 homes, and forced 150,000 into what one Time Magazine reporter calls “concentration camps”. Hundreds of thousands of the Muslim minority were disallowed from voting in the last election. This recurring and recently renewed atrocity has caused an additional 25,000 Rohingya to flee into Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Malaysia since 2012.

The camps are a new strategy by Myanmar against the Rohingya, and are ringed with government checkpoints. Residents must obtain government permission to leave. The military bars journalists and most aid groups from entry. Food and medical care is scarce, and Rohingya deaths from easily-preventable illnesses and malnutrition are rising. These camps are a contemporary and brutal manifestation of the failed strategic hamlet strategy of 1960s Vietnam, meant to isolate a developing Rohingya insurgency.

It is unconscionable for Myanmar to again cause the flight of Rohingya. Myanmar has agreed in writing on multiple occasions in the past that the Rohingya are residents of Myanmar. To welch on those agreements now puts Myanmar into a category of country that violates international norms and laws. Amnesty International has called such activities by Myanmar potential “crimes against humanity.” One Time Magazine author has called it a “genocidal terror.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andersc...e-rohingya-a-state-of-their-own/#62b7ed58ce9a

View attachment 364352

good luck

how about the minorities in BD? the hacking of bloggers and systemic culling of people not adhering to the strict form of islam?
The topic is about Rohingyas in Myanmar, and not about the Christians in BD. So, why are you beating about the bush? Stick to the topic. Do you support the deliberate persecution of Arakan Rohingyas by the invader Burmese?

The Muslim world when combined is an economic superpower with a military force that could squash the Myanmar military like a bug.

When you have such an incredible advantage you can do what Sun Tzu said, win without fighting.

All that is needed is a unity of purpose. Which Myanmar believes that the Muslim world does not possess right now.

The Muslim world when combined is an economic superpower with a military force that could squash the Myanmar military like a bug.

When you have such an incredible advantage you can do what Sun Tzu said, win without fighting.

All that is needed is a unity of purpose. Which Myanmar believes that the Muslim world does not possess right now.

I cannot decide whether you are cheerleading or enjoying yourself goading them.

Be that as it may, this fantastical notion of getting single nationhood because you are Muslim, died 45 years ago. 5 years more and we would celebrate the Golden Anniversary.

I cannot decide whether you are cheerleading or enjoying yourself goading them.

Be that as it may, this fantastical notion of getting single nationhood because you are Muslim, died 45 years ago. 5 years more and we would celebrate the Golden Anniversary.

Neither. I'm saying if you want to achieve something, you already have the capability.

The Muslim world right now with the sectarian violence reminds me a lot of the Chinese Civil War (though obviously the Chinese Civil War was significantly more bloody). People who should be on the same side, fighting each other over small ideological differences.

Unity is strength. China during the Civil War was 100 times worse than the Middle East is today, just accounting for the death toll alone. And we were an undeveloped, destroyed backwater, no where close to the development level of the Middle East today.

Problem is Muslim world is their own worst enemy they can't seem to unite in regards to anything.

Neither. I'm saying if you want to achieve something, you already have the capability.

The Muslim world right now with the sectarian violence reminds me a lot of the Chinese Civil War (though obviously the Chinese Civil War was significantly more bloody). People who should be on the same side, fighting each other over small ideological differences.

Unity is strength. China during the Civil War was 100 times worse than the Middle East is today, just accounting for the death toll alone. And we were an undeveloped, destroyed backwater, no where close to the development level of the Middle East today.

Bro you guys were one race, one civilization, for thousands of years.

The so called Muslim world is a little more than a thousand years old, and is neither.

I see no similarities to be honest.

Militarily, the Christian world does have something similar in the form of NATO (the Turks are there as quid pro quo for the Janissaries). Let's see.

Bro you guys were one race, one civilization, for thousands of years.

The so called Muslim world is a little more than a thousand years old, and is neither.

I see no similarities to be honest.

China actually has 56 races, and each has their own culture/civilization, though I would agree if you say we are relatively more homogeneous in East Asia.

Think about other countries, like India for example. There is no one dominant ethnic group or culture, the dominant group in India is actually a religious one (majority Hindu). Different peoples united by shared interests can become a nation.

China actually has 56 races, and each has their own culture/civilization, though I would agree if you say we are relatively more homogeneous in East Asia.

Think about other countries, like India for example. There is no one dominant ethnic group or culture, the dominant group in India is actually a religious one (majority Hindu). Different peoples united by shared interests can become a nation.

Yes, but you are making the same mistake Pakistanis and most Westerners make if you are looking at being Hindu as following the same religion.

Yes, but you are making the same mistake Pakistanis and most Westerners make if you are looking at being Hindu as following the same religion.

Fair point.

My argument here is that Muslims across the world actually do follow a shared culture/civilization.

I've been to Malaysia quite a few times, do you know their names are exactly the same as the names used by Arab Muslims? Same in Indonesia, etc. Their cultural history, myths, rituals, etc. are based on the same source, from the Middle East.

Yes there are quite significant differences if you pay close enough attention, but to a foreigner there is little way to tell the difference between a Malaysian Muslim and an Arab Muslim by their cultural rites and rituals.

Fair point.

My argument here is that Muslims across the world actually do follow a shared culture/civilization.

I've been to Malaysia quite a few times, do you know their names are exactly the same as the names used by Arab Muslims? Same in Indonesia, etc. Their cultural history, myths, rituals, etc. are based on the same source, from the Middle East.

Yes there are quite significant differences if you pay close enough attention, but to a foreigner there is little way to tell the difference between a Malaysian Muslim and an Arab Muslim by their cultural rites and rituals.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. Just disagree on the time-impact point on the temporal curve all civilizations go through and have gone through.

Simply put, the Muslim world, if at all there is such a thing, or there might be, is still too young under the influence of a common culture. Namely Islam. Not enough time. As is evident.

You've seen the first names. And the postfixed last ones. The last or middle ones are the actual ancestral cultural cues. Same with India. And indeed much of Indic Pakistan.

I cannot decide whether you are cheer leading or enjoying yourself goading them.

It is not necessary to goad us. BD has departed from the union with Pakistan, and nothing can prevent these two far away countries to remain non-united. Apart from political difference, i believe, there is much prospect of making an united front when the cause is common.

Do not make mistakes. BD people are closely watching the Indian moves vis-a-vis Arakan Rohingyas. India has 25% Muslim population. Someday, India will pay price for imposing an unjust will on the region by supporting Burma when the latter commits genocide on its own Muslim citizens.

Back
Top Bottom