What's new

Rochdale grooming: Victim's story and Race connection.

aakash_2410

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
_60100909_grooming_eight_464.jpg

Nine men have been convicted of sexually exploiting young girls in Greater Manchester. One of their victims tells her story.

The testimony of one of the five victims of the Rochdale grooming ring revealed the depth of the exploitation she suffered.

Speaking at the conclusion of a 10-week trial at Liverpool Crown Court, the woman, who cannot be identified, said she was forced to have sex with up to five different men in a day, at least four times a week.

"At first I felt really bad, dirty and ashamed. But after a while it had been going on for so long and with so many different men, I didn't feel anything towards it anymore.

"What they did to me was evil, they ripped away my dignity, my self-esteem," she said.

The grooming and subsequent abuse - which centred around the town of Heywood - began when the woman, now aged 19, was a 15-year-old schoolgirl.

"We would get free alcohol and cigarettes, food, free taxis," she said.

"At first I thought it was great because nothing sexual had happened, I thought I could just get all of this stuff for free."

The men, she said, were friendly at first, simply chatting with the girls now and again in a takeaway shop.

"It made me feel like I was pretty. I never thought that they would do what they did to me, because you don't think that would happen."

'Wanted something back'
But the situation changed and she was raped by one of the men.

"He asked me to come upstairs and I didn't really think anything of it," she explained.

"He then was saying all the things he had bought for me, and he wanted something back for it.

"I tried to say no in a nice way, but he wasn't having it."

After a while, the girl was being driven to different houses or flats where there would be other men waiting.

The abuse continued for months, until one evening she was arrested by police for smashing the counter at a takeaway where some of the men met the girls.

It was then she told police for the first time what was going on.

"I was scared telling them, because I didn't know what the consequences would be from the men.

"They threaten you, and you're scared of them, and that's how they make you do it."

'Brainwashing'
The men led the girls to believe they were in relationships with some of them, and it was normal to have sex.

But she added: "They're just brainwashing you so you think you love them so you do what they say.

"It's not a normal relationship when your boyfriend is getting you to sleep with all his friends for money."

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) investigated Kabeer Hassan and another man, aged 59.

But when the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) reviewed the case in summer 2009, it was decided that the girl "would not be viewed as a credible witness" - a decision not appealed against by GMP - and no prosecution was brought.

"I felt let down," she said. "I know they believed me, they said to me at the end that something should have been done."

The abuse then continued, with a number of men who she had not seen before joining in.

Social services became involved when she started to arrive at school dirty and sometimes smelling of alcohol.

At the time, she was living with an older victim but when she became pregnant by one of the men, she moved back in with her parents.

'Suicide attempts'
She continued to receive phone calls from her abusers, and cars with drivers she recognised were parking outside.

"I wouldn't go out of the house for nine months on my own without my mum or dad, because I was frightened," she said.

Nazir Afzal regrets that the CPS dropped the original grooming case
"Eventually I moved out of the area as I couldn't stay there anymore."

It was not until summer 2011 that Nazir Afzal, the new regional head of the CPS, reversed the decision not to prosecute.

By then police were investigating allegations from another girl about on-street grooming in Heywood.

This eventually led to the successful prosecution of nine men for offences included rape, trafficking girls for sex and conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child.

The woman now wants her story to be told to help people spot the signs of grooming, which she describes as "a common thing that not enough people know about".

She plans to become a social worker, partly due to the ordeal she suffered while still a vulnerable young girl.

"It will always be there, but I know how to deal with it," she said.

"I've had a lot of problems in the past, suicide attempts and drinking, but now I know something is being done to prevent it happening again."

Race connection:
The jailing of nine men who sexually exploited girls as young as 13 in Greater Manchester shone a light on a murky underworld that exists across the UK but few people are aware of.

Some have focused on how the victims were white and their tormentors nearly all of Pakistani heritage and questions were raised over whether race was a factor in this case. Is there any consensus about whether race has played a part in such crimes?

Liverpool Crown Court heard how victims were plied with drink and drugs and "passed around" for sex as though they were "worthless and beyond respect".

Judge Gerald Clifton said to the men, eight of Pakistani origin and one from Afghanistan, that one of the factors leading to the abuse was "the fact that they were not part of your community or religion".

But to what extent, if any, is race an issue in such cases? And are these crimes indicative of a wider problem?

It is not the first time such a claim has been raised.

Last year, former home secretary Jack Straw said some UK Pakistani men saw white girls as "easy meat" for sex abuse.

Mr Straw said there was a "specific problem" in some areas where Pakistani men "target vulnerable white girls".

At the time, fellow Labour MP Keith Vaz said it was not a cultural problem and it was wrong to stereotype a whole community.

Following the latest convictions Mr Vaz, who chairs the Home Affairs Select Committee, told the BBC: "I do not believe it's a race issue."

And assistant chief constable Steve Heywood, of Greater Manchester Police, said the case was not about race, but "adults preying on vulnerable young children".

But some disagree.

Mohammed Shafiq, of the Ramadhan Foundation, which aims to promote better understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims, said: "Clearly, as members of the Pakistani community we've got to say to ourselves, yes, we've got a problem. We've got a problem because these people think white girls are worthless, they think they can use these girls.

"This is not sex, this is rape, these were children and I think we've got to speak out against this very openly."

Mark Williams-Thomas, a former police detective and child protection expert, believes there is a trend which he says he was first made aware of 10 years ago in which men of Pakistani heritage abuse white girls.

But the former detective called for a more nuanced view of the problem, saying it was important to distinguish between grooming and the trafficking of young girls.

"Attacks in isolation and grooming tend to be perpetrated by white men. Collectively, the transferring of girls among young men for sex involves Pakistani men," he said.

"This is a significant problem and it's been going on for many years.

"Evidence tells us that there is a significant problem with Pakistani Asian men. We've got to be bold enough to stand up and say this is a problem and not let it get hijacked by the far right. It's only now that people are prepared to discuss this."

Mr Williams-Thomas said he was unsure why the trend appeared to exist, stressing it was "a complex issue" that could involve factors such as disparities in the age of sexual consent in the UK compared with other countries and their perception of females. He said there needed to be research and better cultural engagement.

He cited research by Ella Cockbain and Helen Brayley, of UCL's Jill Dando Institute of Security and Crime Science, which suggested the vast majority of more than 50 individuals charged with trafficking offences were of 'Pakistani Asian' origin.

However, the report's authors have previously said they were surprised their research had been cited in support of claims that such offences were widespread.

Statistics about child exploitation and race are difficult to verify.

Research conducted by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (Ceop) on "localised grooming" - where children have been groomed and sexually exploited by an offender having first met in a public place - looked at 1,217 offenders.

The findings, published last year, found 30% of offenders - 367 - were white. Some 28% were Asian, of whom 11 were Bangladeshi, 45 were Pakistani and 290 were described as "Asian Other".

Of the victims, 61% of the 2,083 victims were white, while just 3% were Asian. Some 33% were of referred to as "other".

But the report stresses national conclusions about ethnicity cannot be drawn from the data available because it relies on limited nationwide information, with much of the data coming from a limited number of areas.

Ms Brayley told the BBC it was "difficult to know who is involved and what is going on" because different police forces and agencies use terms such as "localised grooming", "street grooming" and "internal trafficking" which all have slightly different meanings.

"You're not always comparing like with like," she said, explaining it meant the police had a "difficult job" establishing the scale of the problem or trends involving perpetrators.

Ms Brayley said a clear definition of the offence would make it easier to gather definitions of the offence and establish a nationwide picture.

Source: BBC News - Rochdale grooming case: Victim's story
BBC News - Grooming and race - what do we know?

59 yea-old men repeatedly raping a 13 year-old girl is just not right!

This disgusting and sickening! :sick:

I feel ashamed to call myself Asian! :( No wonder more and more Indians have now started to identify themselves as 'British Indian' and not 'British Asian'.

White teens are left unattended by their parents and dont know what to do..
Most are willing and available for sexual exploitation...I myself had many offers from many young girls..IF i bought them booze and weed....Buy them booze and weed and some money..and you can have your way with them and that's fact..
The teens were not abducted,they came for sex out of their own choice...

On the other hand,these men being Adults,Grown up men...should have had some dignity and shouldn't have gone after girls less than half their age.

Rochdale is mainly EDL/BNP area,and whites don't mix with Asians and same goes for Asians..
So the ethnicity don't understand each other....

White teens are left unattended by their parents and dont know what to do..
Most are willing and available for sexual exploitation...I myself had many offers from many young girls..IF i bought them booze and weed....Buy them booze and weed and some money..and you can have your way with them and that's fact..
The teens were not abducted,they came for sex out of their own choice...

On the other hand,these men being Adults,Grown up men...should have had some dignity and shouldn't have gone after girls less than half their age.

How can you blame it on girls mate? They're 13 year old? They can't distinguish between right and wrong. That's why they are called a child?

Nothing can justify, 13 year-old-girls being driven around in different flats and houses as a sex toy who can not be respected, making your 13-15 year old 'girlfriend' child have sex with dozens of men, impregnating them and then dump them like a disease, threatening them.

And half their age? Some these men are in their 60s and a victim is 13 year old. Even their granddaughter would be older than these girls!

yea yea so what there are good and bad people in all communities. If you go and check that is what i said in that thread where someone was burying a girl alive in India. These people are not representatives of either country. Have they been elected by Pakistan-no

yea yea so what there are good and bad people in all communities. If you go and check that is what i said in that thread where someone was burying a girl alive in India. These people are not representatives of either country. Have they been elected by Pakistan-no

They're burying their own girl child? It's a case of female foeticide.

I can't believe you're comparing such a serious issue with a female foeticide case?

And I thought you would condemn such horrific, monstrous, inhuman and barbaric actions? We as an asian community should do something about this and specially Paksitani community. We remaining silent means we're approving of their actions?

There are good and bad in all society. I think these men are the lowest of the low and should face the full wrath of the law and of course the local community. When these guys are released the communities they live will not forget and their sentence will continue. They may be free but they will still be hounded.
aakash - i don't think its fair to tarnish a whole community with the same brush as you are trying your best to insinuate - rather immature. In the same way i could bring several shameful incidents by Indians on this forum - so would it be correct to tarnish all Indians with the same brush? I think not so don't stereotypicalize the situation

How can you blame it on girls mate? They're 13 year old? They can't distinguish between right and wrong. That's why they are called a child?

Nothing can justify, 13 year-old-girls being driven around in different flats and houses as a sex toy who can not be respected, making your 13-15 year old 'girlfriend' child have sex with dozens of men, impregnating them and then dump them like a disease, threatening them.

And half their age? Some these men are in their 60s and a victim is 13 year old. Even their granddaughter would be older than these girls!

exactly..The child is not being blamed here...Its their parents who haven't got a clue.
And yes a 13 year old should be able to have this much sense that she shouldn't go with strangers if they offer her Booze and narcotics..
even 4 year olds are taught this....

Well obviously the blame falls on the rapists, but negligence blame falls upon the parents.

There is nothing in our culture that states white girls are okay for rape - such a thing is unimaginable for me at least, its just a matter of convenience, opportunity and poverty that brings this sort of issue to light.

Your young children must not be hanging around with strange adult men, that's a given. Any parent who can't ensure stranger danger is being negligent. That too to teenagers (not toddlers).

exactly..The child is not being blamed here...Its their parents who haven't got a clue.

Yeah and the animals who raped the kid were innocent.. What a Shameless defence!!

Well obviously the blame falls on the rapists, but negligence blame falls upon the parents.

Teen girls are vulnerable and at the age they do not understand much.. Parents can not keep a watch round the clock on the girls and what about the upbringings of those 60 year old who could even think of raping a 13 year old kid.. Clearly their parents failed to teach them any lesson or may be they taught them that women, no matter the age they are, are easy pray and made to be exploited..

The only blame is on the people who exploited the poor girl so please stop defending them and passing the blame around.. It's showing wrong on all of us..

By involving in such acts and sending kids to training camps, Pakistanis in UK themselves are forming an irreparable image.. Don't know if this is what they really want..

O dear another troll. Just because these morons have committed hideous crimes - why put ALL into the same bracket?
Your attempt to suggest that kids are sent to training camps on a regular basis is off topic and of course a poor trolling attempt. It does happen - i don't know of anyone that has done this nor do i know of any Muslim in the UK that would sanction this.
If i was to tarnish all Indians with the same brush as you are attempting to do with all British Pakistanis - you would be aggrieved and call on the mods - not big and its not clever

Yeah and the animals who raped the kid were innocent.. What a Shameless defence!!
Teen girls are vulnerable and at the age they do not understand much.. Parents can not keep a watch round the clock.. The only blame is on the people who exploited the poor girl. Please stop defending them and passing the blame around.. It's showing wrong on all of us..

Load of bull....
I have yet to meet an Asian teenager who offers me sex (Not that i want it)...because their parents teach them well.
But i have had white teens just opening my car door at traffic light and sat in my car...just like that.
so there is the difference...
Parenting is to be blamed..in addition to the rapists..

Load of bull....
I have yet to meet an Asian teenager who offers me sex (Not that i want it)...because their parents teach them well.
But i have had white teens just opening my car door at traffic light and sat in my car...just like that.
so there is the difference...
Parenting is to be blamed..in addition to the rapists..

Did the parents of those 60 year old taught them some thing or not? I am amazed how you people are trying to defend such idiots..

The shocking thing is that so many of them were middle aged married men.

In such cases, I wish hudud laws in sharia are applied and the death penalty is given to these people for rape. Just a 8-9 year prison sentence is a joke. And thanks to these idiots the entire Pakistani and Muslim community is tainted and blamed.

O dear another troll. Just because these morons have committed hideous crimes - why put ALL into the same bracket?
Your attempt to suggest that kids are sent to training camps on a regular basis is off topic and of course a poor trolling attempt. It does happen - i don't know of anyone that has done this nor do i know of any Muslim in the UK that would sanction this.
If i was to tarnish all Indians with the same brush as you are attempting to do with all British Pakistanis - you would be aggrieved and call on the mods - not big and its not clever

It's a fact not a troll.. It's not a news that the Pakistanis from UK have been involving in such acts.. and a few of these are good enough to form an image of your people..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom