What's new

Pakistan ordering 8 Block 60 F16's ?

Do you think the US will sell Block 60 F16's to pakistan?

• Yes

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 49.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so after reading this morning about the US selling 8 f16's to pakistan i thought i do some more digging and i found this.

According to a Pakistani government official quoted by IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly, “[t]hese new aircraft will be more advanced than the last batch of F-16s [the contract for which was signed in 2006].”

heres the full article
US Will Sell 8 F-16 Fighter Jets to Pakistan
With the sales announcement the White House is trying to boost the U.S.-Pakistan partnership.

images-9.jpeg

The United States is preparing to sell eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan in order to bolster bilateral ties between the two countries senior American officials told The New York Times.

U.S. President Barack Obama welcomed Pakistan’s Nawaz Sharif to the White House Thursday. As of now, it is unclear whether the weapon sale was discussed in any detail. So far, no public announcement has been made.

However, the United States Congress can still block the sale. Back in March 2015, the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs froze $150 million in foreign military financing and put a hold on the delivery of a number of used U.S. Navy cutter vessels since they were not deemed essential in fighting militants in Pakistan.

“We remain deeply concerned that Pakistan has failed to take meaningful action against key Islamist terrorist groups operating within its territory,” the committee’s chairman noted in a letter sent to the U.S. State Department in March.

In April, the U.S. State Department has approved Pakistan’s request for a possible sale of U.S. military hardware that includes attack helicopters, missiles, and communications equipment at an estimated cost of $952 million, which is also still subject to congressional approval.

Forty F-16 fighters were first introduced to Pakistan’s Air Force (PAF) in the 1980s. However, due to the 1985 Pressler Amendment, the United States cancelled the sale of an additional 28 F-16s in 1990 and imposed sanctions on Pakistan because of its burgeoning nuclear weapons program.

In 2006, a contract was signed between the United States and Pakistan over the purchase of 18 new F-16C/D block 50/52 aircraft with an option for another 18 more. The first three F-16C/Ds were delivered in June 2010 with the rest inducted into the PAF by the end of 2012. That same year, the United States delivered 14 used F-16s to the PAF.

According to a Pakistani government official quoted by IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly, “[t]hese new aircraft will be more advanced than the last batch of F-16s [the contract for which was signed in 2006].”

The PAF currently operates around 70 F-16s. In February 2014, Islamabad announced that the PAF would purchase an entire squadron of 13 F-16 A/Bs from Jordan. Delivery of the new aircraft have begun in April 2015.

The principal concern of U.S. lawmakers is that the F-16s will not be used to battle militants within Pakistan but rather be deployed to deter India. However, an unnamed PAF officer quoted by IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly said back in 2014 that the “F-16A/Bs have been procured from Jordan to take some of the load off our other F-16s, which are undertaking numerous tasks in the ‘law enforcement’ operations. The F-16s are supporting our ongoing law enforcement efforts on our western border. We are not using [attack] helicopters, but are using F-16s to stop the terrorists.”

Between 2002 and 2014, the United States has sold around $5.4 billion worth of military equipment to Pakistan, according to the Congressional Research Service.
US Will Sell 8 F-16 Fighter Jets to Pakistan | The Diplomat
3077_001.jpg

Last edited:
These could be F-16V or Blk-52 added with some special features.

The principal concern of U.S. lawmakers is that the F-16s will not be used to battle militants within Pakistan but rather be deployed to deter India.

They will be used against anyone who poses threat to Pakistan's security. TTP or India or Afghanistan establishment whoever that may be.

So would AESA radars be cleared for export to Pakistan? IIRC they haven't been to date.

If its BLOCK 60 it would be nice. Uncle SAM with Big Heart i maybe Dreaming.:sleep:

IF it is Blk 60, then we would need the UAE's approval to waive the royalties, like last time.

On the other hand it could just be a Blk 52+ with APG-83 radar, bringing it upto "V" configuration.

@khafee Any updates?

No we don't need their approval because USA have more than 1 Viper configuration and as far as I know we are more interested with NG SABAR radar instead of LM APG-81 and the rest is available with USA's own consent if they agreed to us. India has SU-30s in numbers and Mig-29UPG with most latest upgrades as well as M2K with 9 upgrade so to counter such a big force even 200 F16s would not be enough although we are flying other aircrafts as well but they are pretty old now and of 3rd generation except JFT. So technically we are nowhere near India in air force even with 120 F-16s and other aircrafts so I think they may least bothered to intervene in this deal.

No we don't need their approval because USA have more than 1 Viper configuration and as far as I know we are more interested with NG SABAR radar instead of LM APG-81 and the rest is available with USA's own consent if they offer it to us.

Bro,

1) The R& D for the Blk 60 was paid by the UAE, so they hold the right, whether to charge royalties or not. Back in 2006 they waived the royalties for the PAF, but the PAF went with the Blk52+. On the other hand, they did not waive the royalties for the MMRCA, and that serioulsy pissed of the Indians.

2) APG-81 just like APG-83 is a Northrop Grumman product. Btw the Blk 60 had APG-80, APG-81 is for the F-35
Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radars

3) We could possible be going for the "V" configuration, which might end up as Blk55. Since it still carries a normal ethernet bus vs a fiber optic bus, no built in IRST or sensors, still pod reliant, lower thrust engine i.e. 29,000lb vs 32,500lb.etc etc.

Regards

Last edited:
IF it is Blk 60, then we would need the UAE's approval to waive the royalties, like last time.

On the other hand it could just be a Blk 52+ with APG-83 radar, bringing it upto "V" configuration.

@khafee Any updates?

Block-60 not possible because radar used in it is not produced now. "V" version is available but PAF may not go for it because it will create maintenance issues as buying only 8 of that type is too little.

Block-60 not possible because radar used in it is not produced now. "V" version is available but PAF may not go for it because it will create maintenance issues as buying only 8 of that type is too little.
So what radars are going into the new 30 units of Blk61's, for the UAEAF ?

Back
Top Bottom