What's new

PAF is looking for a next generation fighter in both, east and west - ACM Sohail Aman

What is meant by Force Multiplayer ? Also in west right now only option is F-35 which is also getting delayed. For love of GOD we need at least one other 4.5th Generation platform before we go for 5th Generation @MastanKhan

I think we should go for a traditional 4.5 Generation Get 40 Units , and use Stealth fighters as special Ops 10 planes for quick nuke deployment via stealth platform.

We need to replace the Mirages , and Sukhoi-35 would be ideal platform for retiring the Mirage or F-7P

I think we should go for a traditional 4.5 Generation Get 40 Units , and use Stealth fighters as special Ops 10 planes for quick nuke deployment via stealth platform.

We need to replace the Mirages , and Sukhoi-35 would be ideal platform for retiring the Mirage or F-7P
I agree 5th Generation is not coming at least for 10 years we need a third 4.5 th Generation platform in large numbers

Answering a question regarding PAF's future procurements, ACM Sohail Aman stated that in addition to force multipliers, the PAF is looking to procure a 5th generation aircraft and that they are looking for it in both, east and west.

I think it was early last year or the year before, when I mentioned it a few times that LM's identified Pakistan as a potential buyer for the -35. Many on here, majority from the Indian community egged that entire thread with "how dare you" type of comments.

Here we are, repeating that thread or posts again. With Pakistan's growing economy and market, getting two squadrons of -35 in the next 7-10 years won't be a big issue. These will cost about $ 5-6 billion (by the next decade, the price of -35 would come down a lot due to economies of scale, and due to the fact that the 6th generation fighters would be probably test flying with advance technology very different than today).

But my suggestion would be to supplement the -35 with a lower cost 5th gen / stealth platform. Be it a JFT block 4 or J-31, etc. Another option might be Turkey. But they are in their very early stages of designing the TFX. So they'll have to fulfill their needs before giving it to anyone. I think that takes you out to 10 years +. I don't think the PAF has 10-12 years to acquire a jet and then spend the next 5 years in creating tactics, pilot integration, training, support infrastructure, etc.

So more than likely, the only option left is F-35 (export version I'd imagine), plus Pakistan should try to produce another complimentary stealth platform like the J-31 or a JFT stealth derivative.

F-35 from west? Thats really the only one

Yup, you are right. It was identified as such last year (or the year before, I don't exactly remember the month, etc).

:whistle: Now we will know, who is who on PDF.

What do you mean?

Last edited:
Lol I can see how this is going to go...

First everyone on this forum and his cat is going to run through every possible option. Soon we will see wikipedia copy pastes of various planes. Then we will get the wishlists.

In a few years we will then see PAF look at a few options. It'll be for 100 new planes.

Then we will see it negotiate.

And then we will order 24 J-31s

And then we will all lament as to why that isn't enough, why we should've joined TFX, etc.

Just watch.

Better to work on more F-7P, it is just useful for long-term and cost saving. Other options are unaffordable and more expensive. :D

Did he say 5th gen or next gen?

Answering a question regarding PAF's future procurements, ACM Sohail Aman stated that in addition to force multipliers, the PAF is looking to procure a 5th generation aircraft and that they are looking for it in both, east and west.

Now, we know that PAF has been looking into J-31, but what is there to look for in west? Please discuss.

Below, is the link to the interview. Fast forward to 8:33.

Comments

+ fuel tanker

AWACS & ELINT aircrafts

Did he say 5th gen or next gen?

+ fuel tanker
True but it is clear at this point that besides JF-17 (for certain) and maybe F-16s (maybe but possibly not), the PAF isn't looking for anything else within this generation, including J-10. We even heard from a PAF Air Commodore during an interview that the focus at this point (besides JF-17) should be on a next-gen fighter.

What I did notice about ACM Sohail Aman's words though is that he said (in Urdu) "in regards to our future plans, we'd like to maintain a mix [between western and eastern systems], keep our indigenous efforts strong, and focus on our force multipliers. We looked quite a bit into [the] future, and we're okay with that."

There's a bit of an implication that there won't be just one type of next-gen aircraft and that the Pakistani defence industry would be involved in some way. I really hope that a 'Next Fighter' program to succeed JF-17 is on the horizon here.

I think (and I might be wrong) when he mentioned next gen form east and west, he didn't mean the same gen from both. It could be 4.5 gen from west like Euro Fighter, Grippen, F-16 block 60+ with AESA or any of the Russian offerings (Yes Russia is also in Europe and part of western World), whereas in case of East which can safely be interpreted as China, we might be looking at J31.

My guess is it could be a 4.5 gen Western (max 2 squadrons) and 5th Gen Chinese J31 one and a half to two squadrons.

True but it is clear at this point that besides JF-17 (for certain) and maybe F-16s (maybe but possibly not), the PAF isn't looking for anything else within this generation, including J-10. We even heard from a PAF Air Commodore during an interview that the focus at this point (besides JF-17) should be on a next-gen fighter.

What I did notice about ACM Sohail Aman's words though is that he said (in Urdu) "in regards to our future plans, we'd like to maintain a mix [between western and eastern systems], keep our indigenous efforts strong, and focus on our force multipliers. We looked quite a bit into [the] future, and we're okay with that."

There's a bit of an implication that there won't be just one type of next-gen aircraft and that the Pakistani defence industry would be involved in some way. I really hope that a 'Next Fighter' program to succeed JF-17 is on the horizon here.

I think (and I might be wrong) when he mentioned next gen form east and west, he didn't mean the same gen from both. It could be 4.5 gen from west like Euro Fighter, Grippen, F-16 block 60+ with AESA or any of the Russian offerings (Yes Russia is also in Europe and part of western World), whereas in case of East which can safely be interpreted as China, we might be looking at J31.

My guess is it could be a 4.5 gen Western (max 2 squadrons) and 5th Gen Chinese J31 one and a half to two squadrons.
But I do hope there are thoughts about a next gen design being built at home after JF-17, post-2030.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom