What's new

Muslim world needs to prevent brain drain to West, President Erdoğan says

Saithan

Reaction score
n_115998_1.jpg

The Muslim world has been losing intelligent students to the West as part of brain drains, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on July 26, stressing that they should find ways to prevent the emigration from happening.

“We need to carry measures that will prevent this brain drain, which is causing our science world to become a desert, into effect as soon as possible,” Erdoğan said in an event on higher education in the Muslim world at the Beştepe Presidential Complex in Ankara.

Saying that there were only a few universities from the Muslim world among the top 500 universities in the world, he added that the brightest youths were moving to Western countries.

“On top of that, we are transferring very serious amounts of money to Western countries for this. After these students complete their academic studies, we naturally expect them to return to their countries and serve their own people. But most of the time, those finishing their schools do not return to their homelands, but stay where they received education,” he noted.

“This situation is definitely affected by reasons like not being able to give up on the life standards they got used to. But I believe that we, as heads of states, need to think of the real reasons that distance our youth from ourselves,” Erdoğan added.

Erdoğan said that while OECD countries allocated 5.2 percent of their national budget to education, this number could not even reach 1 percent in the Muslim world, adding that education was one of the priorities of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).

“Like in every society in the Muslim world, we stay away from issues that demand endeavor and patience. If we are unsuccessful in raising a generation that asks, questions, and has ambitions for the future, a generation running after temporary whims emerges. We face the fact that nations that cannot develop unique educations systems cannot determine their future,” he noted.

“The most important responsibility falls on the shoulders of our universities. Universities are the production centers of science and unique and free thoughts. Every kind of idea that is not contaminated with terror and that does not encourage violence has a place and should have a place in the university,” he said.

During his address, Erdoğan also asked Council of Higher Education (YÖK) president Yekta Saraç to make the Mevlana exchange program – which aims to promote the exchange of students and academic staff between Turkish and foreign universities – a more advanced one by adding more countries, especially those in the Muslim world.

“My request from the YÖK president is that he becomes a pioneer in starting joint and double degree programs between 15 of our universities and Muslim countries’ universities that joined this meeting,” he said.

July/26/2017

source: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/mu...says.aspx?pageID=238&nID=115998&NewsCatID=338

I think the important questions here are:

1. How many of you would stay and "serve" your country ?

2. Would you stay and "serve" your country if you do not agree with the political climate in the country, universities etc. ?

3. Would you stay in your country even if the opportunities are better in foreign countries and they want you ?

4. Should the politicians and universities make staying attractive ?

5. And how ?

I am pretty certain that the political changes to the education system from grade school and onwards is going to have an impact on how the youth grow up and how they perceive things. This doesn't mean you will raise generations who ask questions, nor is it a guarantee that people will stay once they finish studying.

The politicians can affect the education system in order to try control people and how they are raised/learned, and that's what I think AKP is trying to do. However I hope the youth and generations will grow up as defiant wolves and don't allow anyone to oppress their free thoughts and freedom to seek to optimize their life.

As I see it AKP and RTE only option is to enslave the young scientists to keep them.

I think the important questions here are:

1. How many of you would stay and "serve" your country ?

2. Would you stay and "serve" your country if you do not agree with the political climate in the country, universities etc. ?

3. Would you stay in your country even if the opportunities are better in foreign countries and they want you ?

4. Should the politicians and universities make staying attractive ?

5. And how ?

As an non-resident Bangladeshi, these are my views:

1. I would. But it depends on what form of 'serving' are you talking about here. Do you mean being in the military or in research/science or having a career and paying taxes? In the contrary, I am still serving my country from abroad by remitting tons of money which adds to the state's reserves. These money can go into charity, investment etc. So does that not count as 'serving'?

2. Again, I would. Factors that would intrigue me to stay back would be personal security, good salary and lesser traffic (probably particular to Bangladesh only). Political instability is not a major factor.

3. Good question. It depends on ones mentality and would connect back to question 1 here.. to see how one sees himself to be a fitting way to 'serve' the country.

4. Definitely. No questions asked.

5. Why? Well because 'education is the backbone of a country' I guess?

As an non-resident Bangladeshi, these are my views:

1. I would. But it depends on what form of 'serving' are you talking about here. Do you mean being in the military or in research/science or having a career and paying taxes? In the contrary, I am still serving my country from abroad by remitting tons of money which adds to the state's reserves. These money can go into charity, investment etc. So does that not count as 'serving'?

2. Again, I would. Factors that would intrigue me to stay back would be personal security, good salary and lesser traffic (probably particular to Bangladesh only). Political instability is not a major factor.

3. Good question. It depends on ones mentality and would connect back to question 1 here.. to see how one sees himself to be a fitting way to 'serve' the country.

4. Definitely. No questions asked.

5. Why? Well because 'education is the backbone of a country' I guess?

Good point, if we take Philippines as another example thousands of Filipino work abroad (KSA, Qatar etc.) and are pretty much sending their salaries home to their families. This is quite a big economic boost for a country like Philippines, but truth be told this is not an ideal solution is it ?

I personally know some filipino's who earn 500 Euro monthly and send back almost all of it to support her family, and the scenario can be different. unemployed members of the family, debt ridden, etc. at the cost of their own future. exploiting this opportunity you have the "host" nations where the filipino put up with pretty bad things, this varies from nation to nation. Now Philippines is a nation ridden with challenges, so I doubt it makes sense drawing parallels to Turkey.

However I think that the political climate does factor into peoples consideration when they think of their future. If you are a brilliant scientist you wouldn't want to move your family to a place where the political climate allows unrest.
An example could be a man assaulting a woman in a bus because she's wearing shorts because he feels that the political climate legitimizes his actions. Or if the human rights are deteriorating rapidly and the justice systems unpartiality and verdict is years under way.

All of this and many more are factors that play a big role when smart people consider a future in a country. If we can learn something from history then perhaps nazi germany is an example, and look at how many scientists escaped to USA before and after the war, and how many tried to flee from Berlin.

"Turn around, you will never see it again!" - Albert Einstein to his wife as they left their house in Germany, December 1932

"I'll be the brains!" - Adolf Hitler to a German journalist who asked him who would be the brains of the country if the Nazis took over, 1931

source:http://www.atomicheritage.org/history/scientific-exodus

With what is going on in Turkey, I don't see the brain-drain slowing, and I hope Pakistan and Bangladesh can create a better / stable society for the young scientists to blossom in.

I am not in Pakistan because my country, under the influence of another "Bradar" country declared me a Kafir and continues to illegalise my beliefs and does little to stop the killing of people like me. You see, My President, it is the malignant influence of fellow Muslim countries that is one of the biggest factor in educated people leaving.

I've known about several doctors who returned to Pakistan and were killed for their beliefs, by my own countrymen.

Rich, coming from the man who's the main cause why Turkish intellectuals and businessmen flee the country.

I am not in Pakistan because my country, under the influence of another "Bradar" country declared me a Kafir and continues to illegalise my beliefs and does little to stop the killing of people like me. You see, My President, it is the malignant influence of fellow Muslim countries that is one of the biggest factor in educated people leaving.

I've known about several doctors who returned to Pakistan and were killed for their beliefs, by my own countrymen.
I understand that being an Ahmadi in Pakistan is very difficult if you openly say that you are an Ahmadi. Would you say that it is common for Ahmadis to renounce being a Pakistani because of this persecution?

I understand that being an Ahmadi in Pakistan is very difficult if you openly say that you are an Ahmadi. Would you say that it is common for Ahmadis to renounce being a Pakistani because of this persecution?

I don't know a single Pakistani Ahmadi who would ever renounce being a Pakistani. Pakistan is still my motherland.

“This situation is definitely affected by reasons like not being able to give up on the life standards they got used to. But I believe that we, as heads of states, need to think of the real reasons that distance our youth from ourselves,” Erdoğan added.
There are many reasons but "distancing our youth from ourselves" is not a reason among them.

Applies to most underdeveloped countries.
It is easier for me to find like minded people in LA, than in any place in India.
The quality of life is good mainly in certain limited pockets. Young doctors don't make much, and the oldies are drowning in money. Plus the dating scene isn't very happening here.
I despise social conservatives, but they are generally from the poor or unemployed groups, so they can safely be ignored.

Good point, if we take Philippines as another example thousands of Filipino work abroad (KSA, Qatar etc.) and are pretty much sending their salaries home to their families. This is quite a big economic boost for a country like Philippines, but truth be told this is not an ideal solution is it ?

I personally know some filipino's who earn 500 Euro monthly and send back almost all of it to support her family, and the scenario can be different. unemployed members of the family, debt ridden, etc. at the cost of their own future. exploiting this opportunity you have the "host" nations where the filipino put up with pretty bad things, this varies from nation to nation. Now Philippines is a nation ridden with challenges, so I doubt it makes sense drawing parallels to Turkey.

However I think that the political climate does factor into peoples consideration when they think of their future. If you are a brilliant scientist you wouldn't want to move your family to a place where the political climate allows unrest.
An example could be a man assaulting a woman in a bus because she's wearing shorts because he feels that the political climate legitimizes his actions. Or if the human rights are deteriorating rapidly and the justice systems unpartiality and verdict is years under way.

All of this and many more are factors that play a big role when smart people consider a future in a country. If we can learn something from history then perhaps nazi germany is an example, and look at how many scientists escaped to USA before and after the war, and how many tried to flee from Berlin.

"Turn around, you will never see it again!" - Albert Einstein to his wife as they left their house in Germany, December 1932

"I'll be the brains!" - Adolf Hitler to a German journalist who asked him who would be the brains of the country if the Nazis took over, 1931

source:http://www.atomicheritage.org/history/scientific-exodus

With what is going on in Turkey, I don't see the brain-drain slowing, and I hope Pakistan and Bangladesh can create a better / stable society for the young scientists to blossom in.

Yes, the political climate does play a role. In terms of Bangladesh, even more as we are quite a politically-polarized nation. However, this feeling does fluctuate from person to person. For me personally, of the other 3 requirements as mentioned earlier are met, I am willing to overlook the political instability given certain conditions are met. But till today, I haven't seen it meet my expectations.

So I am in support of students/people who leave the country for a better life because it makes sense. Not only do they get a secured life for themselves but also directly benefit the country in many ways possible. For Bangladeshi students, Turkey for instance is a attractive nation and many of my known people have applied for and have been successfully admitted to the Turkiye Burslari scholarship. I certainly can say the education quality is better than in Bangladesh.

And Erdogan is so kind to show everyone how its not done. Purging and jailing people with other opinions and ideologies gets you nowhere.

But on the other hand he's making sure that the coming generations will have be less likely to go somewhere else, because the quality of schools there wont be any brain anymore to drain.

Back
Top Bottom