What's new

Jordan’s King Finds Fault With Everyone Concerned

tyrant

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia

CAIRO — King Abdullah II of Jordan leads one of the smallest, poorest and most vulnerable Arab nations. But that does not stop him from looking down on many of those around him, including the leaders of Egypt, Turkey and Syria, as well as members of his own royal family, his secret police, his traditional tribal political base, his Islamist opponents and even United States diplomats (A BIT TOO MUCH BASHING OF THE KING, IMO).
President Mohamed Morsi of Egypt has “no depth,” King Abdullah said in an interview with the American journalist Jeffrey Goldberg, to be published this week in The Atlantic magazine. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey is an authoritarian who views democracy as a “bus ride,” as in, “Once I get to my stop, I am getting off,” the king said.

And he said President Bashar al-Assad of Syria is so provincial that at a social dinner he once asked the monarchs of Jordan and Morocco to explain jet lag. “He never heard of jet lag,” King Abdullah said, according to an advance copy of the article.

The king’s conversations with Mr. Goldberg, an influential writer on the Middle East and an acquaintance of more than a decade, offer a rare view of the contradictory mind-set of Washington’s closest ally in the Arab world as he struggles to master the upheaval of the Arab Spring revolts. Seldom has an Arab autocrat spoken so candidly in public.

King Abdullah appears humbled and even fatigued by the many challenges he failed to foresee when he inherited the throne 14 years ago, describing himself before coronation as a “Forrest Gump” in the background of his father’s long reign. In contrast to his father, King Hussein, King Abdullah promises to move Jordan closer to a British-style constitutional monarchy, and thus to stay ahead of the Arab Spring wave.

But he insists that only he can lead the transition to democracy, in part to ensure that democracy will not deliver power to his Islamist opponents.

The era of Arab monarchies is passing, King Abdullah said. “Where are monarchies in 50 years?” he asked. But even his own family, with 11 siblings and half-siblings, does not yet understand the lessons of the Arab Spring for dynasties like theirs, he said, adding that the public will no longer tolerate egregious displays of excess or corruption.

“Members of my family don’t get it,” he said. “Look at some of my brothers. They believe that they’re princes, but my cousins are more princes than my brothers, and their in-laws are like — oh my God!” he continued.

“I’m always having to stop members of my family from putting lights on their guard cars,” he said. “I arrest members of my family and take their cars away from them and cut off their fuel rations and make them stop at traffic lights.”

Even his own sons should be punished if convicted of corruption, he insisted. “Everybody else is expendable in the royal family,” he said. “That is the reality of the Arab Spring that hit me.”

He blamed his own government’s secret police for blocking his efforts at political reform. For example, he charged that the secret police had conspired with conservatives in the political elite to block his attempts to open up more representation in Parliament to Palestinians, who make up more than half of Jordan’s population.

“Institutions I had trusted were just not on board,” he said, naming as an example the mukhabarat, or secret police. He said he had not realized at first how deeply “conservative elements” had become “embedded in certain institutions” like the mukhabarat. “Two steps forward, one step back,” he added.

Stopping the Islamists from winning power was now “our major fight” across the region, he said. He repeatedly mocked the Muslim Brotherhood, the pan-Arab Islamist movement behind the largest opposition party in the Jordanian Parliament and Mr. Morsi’s governing party in Egypt, calling it “a Masonic cult” and “wolves in sheep’s clothing.” And he accused American diplomats of naïveté about their intentions.

“When you go to the State Department and talk about this, they’re like, ‘This is just the liberals talking, this is the monarch saying that the Muslim Brotherhood is deep-rooted and sinister,’ ” King Abdullah said. His job, he said, is to dissuade Westerners from the view that “the only way you can have democracy is through the Muslim Brotherhood.”

The king was also frankly dismissive of the tribal leaders from the East Bank of the Jordan River who have traditionally formed his family’s base of support. “The old dinosaurs,” he called a group of East Bank tribal leaders, including a former prime minister, before a meeting with them in the town of Karak. “It’s all about, ‘I’ll vote for this guy because I am in his tribe,’ ” the king said of their political program.

Alarmed at the violence in neighboring Syria, King Abdullah said he had offered asylum and protection to the family of President Assad. “They said, ‘Thank you very much, but why don’t you worry about your country more than you worry about us?’ ”

“The monarchy is going to change,” the king vowed. His son will preside over “a Western-style democracy with a constitutional monarchy,” the king said, and not “the position of Bashar today.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/w...dan-has-criticism-for-all-concerned.html?_r=0

The Jordanian Royal Court deprecated twisting king's interview and denied what imputed to him in this interview. BTW, the interview was made by a Jew/Israeli/American journalist who served in Israeli army. Making an interview with those pathological liars was not a good idea. Every day, those people move upto new level of baseness, they just broke all records known to human beings.

Jeffrey Goldberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plz use google translation until I get an English source.
????? ????? : ?? ??????? ?????? ??? ?????? ?????

According to Wikipedia, Jordan per capita income is around $6000, so how can it be called poor?

Weak yes as it borders the biggest terrorist of the world.

Jordan is weak?! Israel is stronger than Jordan but this doesn't mean it's weakl, in fact it's among the first 3 most militarized countries in the world right after Israel, it's personal training quality is among the highest in the world and many world countries train their special forces, armed forces and police forces in Jordan including GCC, Lybia, Algeria Tunisia, Yemen, Pakistan, China, and many other countries. And regarding the vulnerable part, Jordan is among the very few countries which has been the safest and most stable in a very hostile region surrounded with countries in crisis. If it was vulnerable, it wouldn't have survived. This article is just ridiculous. Jordan is not poor nor rich, it's an upper middle class country.

The Jordanian Royal Court deprecated twisting king's interview and denied what imputed to him in this interview. ]

I dont know why your baging the interviewer, makes him sound human ok the language could use some political polish but is it really so bad?

Conservatives are resistant to change, isnt that a problem every where.
He has trouble keeping his brothers in line, dont we all.
Hes not the first to use that quote from Erdogan.
Not the first to describe Assad as provincial.
He even admits his own unpreparedness for rule.

Can we do a deal we can swap you John Key for King Abdullah we have a prime minister that acts like a monarch you have a monarch that acts like a prime minister ;)

And he said President Bashar al-Assad of Syria is so provincial that at a social dinner he once asked the monarchs of Jordan and Morocco to explain jet lag. “He never heard of jet lag,” King Abdullah said, according to an advance copy of the article.

Everyone is at fault except him this is why his country is the pinnacle of development and prosperity in Middle East with one of the highest GDP. This is a typical monarch attitude and its quite shameful that someone wasted news paper space to cover such nonsense. As far as jet lag is concerned, well you know its bull$hit coming right out of his behind when the person in question is a Medical graduate with military experience.

Bashar al-Assad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early life

In 1982, he graduated from high school and went on to study medicine at Damascus University.[10]
In 1988, Bashar Assad graduated from medical school and began working as an army doctor in the biggest military hospital, "Tishrin", on the outskirts of Damascus.

Not sure If Jordan has oil, but they are considerably well off, and by no means a poor nation.

Reference:

Seen a documentary.

Also the girls there are pretty.

Just sayin'. :whistle:

Jordan is weak?! Israel is stronger than Jordan but this doesn't mean it's weakl, in fact it's among the first 3 most militarized countries in the world right after Israel, it's personal training quality is among the highest in the world and many world countries train their special forces, armed forces and police forces in Jordan including GCC, Lybia, Algeria Tunisia, Yemen, Pakistan, China, and many other countries. And regarding the vulnerable part, Jordan is among the very few countries which has been the safest and most stable in a very hostile region surrounded with countries in crisis. If it was vulnerable, it wouldn't have survived. This article is just ridiculous. Jordan is not poor nor rich, it's an upper middle class country.

Why do you guys like to live under Kings?

Kings are looked down upon in today's world, and also in Islam...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe part of the Jordanian Royal family has Pakistani ancestry??

I dont know why your baging the interviewer, makes him sound human ok the language could use some political polish but is it really so bad?

Conservatives are resistant to change, isnt that a problem every where.
He has trouble keeping his brothers in line, dont we all.
Hes not the first to use that quote from Erdogan.
Not the first to describe Assad as provincial.
He even admits his own unpreparedness for rule.

Can we do a deal we can swap you John Key for King Abdullah we have a prime minister that acts like a monarch you have a monarch that acts like a prime minister ;)

The king denied those claims in the first place, plz watch any of his interviews on Youtube, and you would know that it's impossible for him to talk like this. His words are very well chosen, he is honest and frank but smart at the same time. What the interver did was manipulating the kings words, and manipulating words just capable of turning an innocent little girl into a whoore. I challenge you all to find me president or king who speaks as good as him, watch out this from minute 15:

Davos 2013 - Special Address by H.M. King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein - YouTube

If I'm not mistaken, I believe part of the Jordanian Royal family has Pakistani ancestry??

Yes, it's prince Hassan Bin Talal's wife, Princess Sarvath al-Hassan, he is the uncle of the king:

Princess+Sarvath+Jordan+Prince+El+Hassan+bin+1_79-_K2doPl.jpg

May be Jordan has the best training in Arab world that doesnt speak much because Jordanian cadets make up for a large bunch of Arab students being trained at Pakistani academies. Beside for a long time Pakistani advisers have served in Jordan.

It is true that Jordan happens to be very stable and systemized but still the government policies have been lack luster in attracting investments and raising living standards.

Please look at this pictures and you will see how the King is afraid from the Arap Spring.

543867_1.gif

76704-urdun-krali-abdullah-sokakta.jpg

Unlikely the previous years, he suddenly appeared in the public places and tried to play a good King role after Arap Spring took down many dictators. The world has changed and the change is inevitable. He knows this very well and tries to get close to the USA and the UK but even this will not help him unless he does something for his people.

Besides he is one of the last persons to criticize Turkiye or Egypt, because these countries at least have elected governments and the public can decide to choose them or not. Also I really wonder how depth he has? (Actually suddenly trying to be a friendly King to his people shows his depth!)

Why do you guys like to live under Kings?

Kings are looked down upon in today's world, and also in Islam...

Nope, outsiders tend to think that kings enslave their people while in reality their people live in far more dignity and prosperity than others who think they have democracy. We have a European monarchy style (to some extent). However, how many of you know that no one has ever been executed in Jordan since it's establishment for political reasons including plotting of assassinating the king? And how many know that there have never been a political prisoner since 1991 except for few months for a couple of people?
Since most of our demands are met and we live in prosperity and stability, respected and taken care of, why would we change our rule?

Please look at this pictures and you will see how the King is afraid from the Arap Spring.

543867_1.gif

76704-urdun-krali-abdullah-sokakta.jpg

Unlikely the previous years, he suddenly appeared in the public places and tried to play a good King role after Arap Spring took down many dictators. The world has changed and the change is inevitable. He knows this very well and tries to get close to the USA and the UK but even this will not help him unless he does something for his people.

Besides he is one of the last persons to criticize Turkiye or Egypt, because these countries at least have elected governments and the public can decide to choose them or not. Also I really wonder how depth he has? (Actually suddenly trying to be a friendly King to his people shows his depth!)

He has always been in public checking out his people needs since he got the reign, and his people love and respect him. You can get many more similar pictures before Arab spring. Maybe, some may think this is propaganda, but the king who works this hard and care too much to get his people support deserve to be respected.

Back
Top Bottom