What's new

COAS inaugurated Centre of Integrated Air Def Battle Management (CIADBAM) - ISPR .

>> This new centre seems to be the precursor to buying new Long range(HQ9B/S400) class SAM systems as at that range you really

I did not say that Pakistan is considering buying the S-400, I said " Long range(HQ9B/S400) class SAM system" ... ergo Long ramge SAMs - and highlighted two example types ...
«you really»... Why so angry? I only asked a question?

Untitled-2.jpg

Mashllah The interoperability between different forces and their equipment as a single center of command is a really big job. It is an innovative way to do AI and to benefit from, and make use of, artificial intelligence in the future.

An integrated Air Def command, without the Air Force in it. Just not sure what keeps Army from simply joining Vision.
This command centre also allows for deeper integration between PAF and PA interms of air defence responsbilities and sharing of data between the two air arms.
There is no PAF integration here. No pun intended.

An integrated Air Def command, without the Air Force in it. Just not sure what keeps Army from simply joining Vision.
I would assume that this is army joining Vision. I mean how else does PA expect to deploy LY-80 while PAF operates overhead? I really hope this isn't the army's own dairh eenth ki masjid.

I would assume that this is army joining Vision. I mean how else does PA expect to deploy LY-80 while PAF operates overhead? I really hope this isn't the army's own dairh eenth ki masjid.
Nope, this is Army's own version of Vision. It's very much their own dairh eent ki masjid, has nothing to do with PAF. There's some data sharing that was already happening at various levels. But joining Vision would have meant real C2 level integration, which this is not.

Last edited:
Nope, this is Army's own version of Vision. It's very much their own dairh eent ki masjid, has nothing to do with PAF. There's some data sharing that was already happening at various levels. But joining Vision would have meant real C2 level integration, which this is not.
This is the classic idiocy that I see everywhere. Dairh Eent Ki Masjid. Air Defence cannot be a siloed setup. I can understand and appreciate battle formation air defence (or static bases etc., though less so), but anything beyond that has to be integrated. Additionally even the battle field air defence structure needs to eventually be tied to a combined arms operations center. The same issue exists in areas of Cyber Kinetic / Intel as well. Everyone and their uncle and pony going out there to build a cyber command center. No pooling of the limited resources.

Now having said this, the question is, is there is a level of integration with a central Air Defence operations center (which very well might exist), in which case this would then be fine. They could be looking at an operations center to address their air defence needs for sensitive sites and battle formations (which historically has been tough for the PAF to do). And as long as they are providing their data/sensor access to a broader fusion center then this is accretive. Just hope it is not one of those, "hum yeh karain gey, aap who karain".

Who is asking the question where was the air defence, when the US came over on their picnic in Abbotabad? Anyone here buying the notion that amazing heli stealth tech made it impossible to see, is an idiot. The most stealth for helis is likely in the form of sound reduction. Heli's really dont need significant stealth features, they can avoid detection via terrain support, and can also likely reduce their IR signature to avoid missile lock (but reduction of RCS is very dificult and in many ways unnecessary). Sure I can give there were some stealth features, but then who can explain the Chinooks and forward air refueling stations setup well within PK. Who among the services is being held accountable for this miss? For a poor country that spends billions in these outfits, where was the failure, and how has it been addressed?

Last edited:
This is the classic idiocy that I see everywhere. Dairh Eent Ki Masjid. Air Defence cannot be a siloed setup. I can understand and appreciate battle formation air defence (or static bases etc., though less so), but anything beyond that has to be integrated. Additionally even the battle field air defence structure needs to eventually be tied to a combined arms operations center. The same issue exists in areas of Cyber Kinetic / Intel as well. Everyone and their uncle and pony going out there to build a cyber command center. No pooling of the limited resources.

Now having said this, the question is, is there is a level of integration with a central Air Defence operations center (which very well might exist), in which case this would then be fine. They could be looking at an operations center to address their air defence needs for sensitive sites and battle formations (which historically has been tough for the PAF to do). And as long as they are providing their data/sensor access to a broader fusion center then this is accretive. Just hope it is not one of those, "hum yeh karain gey, aap who karain".
I cannot go into details of the level of integration there is between both arms, at the same time, I can be appreciative of Army's concerns with end-level integration but it's nothing that cannot be overcome and at the end of the day has more to do with who leads the command than anything else. You'll see this repeat in a lot of places in Pakistan, it's nothing new. =)

What I can say is that Air Force's integration with Navy is at a far deeper level than with the Army. Navy has also been extremely adaptive when it comes to aerial warfare, and pooling its resources with the Air Force. Army not so much.

Just hope it is not one of those, "hum yeh karain gey, aap who karain".
I am not sure why you'd think otherwise. It is exactly this.

I cannot go into details of the level of integration there is between both arms, at the same time, I can be appreciative of Army's concerns with end-level integration but it's nothing that cannot be overcome and at the end of the day has more to do with who leads the command than anything else. You'll see this repeat in a lot of places in Pakistan, it's nothing new. =)

What I can say is that Air Force's integration with Navy is at a far deeper level than with the Army. Navy has also been extremely adaptive when it comes to aerial warfare, and pooling its resources with the Air Force. Army not so much.

I can hope things have changed. You can call me naive and optimistic.

Agree 100% this has more to do with Command and Domain retention than anything else.

Because of the calibre and background of the Navy’s leadership is different along with their exposure. A lot of the previous 10 years of PN leadership came from excellent backgrounds not just in terms of education but global exposure.

In addition,for the most part Navy and Air Force leadership has more “urban” and “educated” social exposure that also influences their mindset of thinking out of the box. The army is by its very nature and institutional baggage deprived of that.

This new centre seems to be the precursor to buying new Longrange(HQ9B/S400) class SAM systems as at that range you really need to know what is going on otherwise you have friendly fire situations like the IAF had when it shot down its own

This command centre also allows for deeper integration between PAF and PA interms of air defence responsbilities and sharing of data between the two air arms.

I am certain there is redudancy and duplication for something as important as this. What you are looking at in the above pictures would all be underground to protect from missile strikes and the like and we have seen some pictures of homegrown networking and comms based infrastructure to ensure secure commuinications.

You have to accept at some level that after all these years - both PA and PAF understand the need for duplication and redundancy as part of their war fighthing doctrine.

I personally am excited to see how sophisticated Pakistan's software development skills are getting in developing command and control systems in-house. I truly believe we are building the blocks required to be able to build an AEW&C / AWACs in Pakistan from all i am seeing. All that is missing is AESA GaN T/R modules right now and skills in how to modify a civilan airliner(ie Sea Sultan ).

( ps - did anyone notice the vechicle on top of the console in picture 2 above? :) )
That could be a radar system.

That could be a radar system.
yes IBIS 150 S-band 3D PESA radar.

Circles is drawn for 150 KM radius which is the detection range of this radar and it seem a near perfect match with the pic shown in the video

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom