What's new

ASELSAN has sold 16 E/O ASELPODs to Pakistan for $25 million

Can i ask which aircraft structural engineering experience do you have based on which gentlemen making statements

Very respectfully

:)

I don't have structural engineering background. I studied Aircraft Maintenance and worked for a short period of time.

There are reports suggesting that around 16 PODs are being bought. I think we will go for more once the POD is intensely tested and used on JF-17. It can be either this or may be PAF is looking to go for a different and will use two three different kinds of targeting POD on board different JF17 planes.

@Bilal Khan 777 @Quwa @araz I understand this is a trick question but how would YOU rate this aswlsan POD against lightening III (which it is reported to be based on), SNIPER POD (that we use on F16) and the Thales option (that we were not able to get). Just asking for your opinions sir. I read most of the previous posts on this thread and agree that it is almost like asking the same question again but i am not talking about what is BEST for PAF> Just technically speaking, where do this POD stands exactly according to your analysis. Not talking about options available to us, not talking about the export option for future but just pure and simple technical comparison. Any help sir?

The design may need some tweaks for the extra hard points to come i think. Chin mounted would be the easiest one but the difficulty of process should not stop PAF and PAC from exploring the option of adding two more hard points under wings. Twin ejector would be something extra that can be used on the inner most hard point if the wings are strengthened to that extent. If we are to explore the true multi-role potential we need to gradually keep moving forward with JF17. I have seen us being stagnant with such projects and i hope this is not the case. JF17 have provided us with an excellent base of work, something people do not realize often, what we need now is to move froward with all this and on to bigger and better things. That would be the actual gain and benefit of this whole JF17 exercise (an aircraft that meets our needs in an excellent way is a by product in a bonus :P ). In short, PAC should try to get this to a level where we get a special hard point on fuselage for POD, two extra hard points on wings with the possibility of dual ejectors on at least on of them. Effectively giving JF17 9 hard points able to carry 11 weapon systems. IF PAC can add those CFT at some point, the idea becomes that much more mouth watering. One question that remains is "which one is that more powerful engine? "

Regards!

The pod is best of the options available for JF17. This is a wise decision to diversity JF17 avionics base, which will help in export of the aircraft.

ASELPOD-03-692x360.png

Earlier in the month, Aselsan, one of Turkey’s main defence vendors, announced that it had secured a $25 million U.S. export sale for its ASELPOD advanced targeting pod. It did not disclose the country, but at this point is all but an open secret that the customer is Pakistan.

According to Turkey Monch Publishing, a leading Turkish language defence news outlet, Aselsan will sell 16 ASELPOD advanced targeting pods under the $25 million contract. The delivery of the pods will begin in 2017, and the integration process take place in both Turkey and Pakistan.

In Turkey, Aselsan will configure the pod for the receiving platform – i.e. the JF-17 Thunder. This would include work on the ASELPOD’s software and communications equipment, to ensure that the system works with the native systems onboard the JF-17. Meanwhile, Pakistan will produce the external pylon or hard-point that will be used for the ASELPOD.

Aselsan reportedly competed against the Thales Damocles and Lockheed Martin Sniper for the contract, but won on the grounds of offering a package that offered the right balance of performance and savings.

The Turkish Air Force has 73 ASELPODs in the pipeline, which in time will join the 16 it is already using on board its F-16 and F-4 combat aircraft as well as CN-235 light utility transport aircraft.

Development of the ASELPOD is ongoing; for example, a two-way data-link configuration is being developed, this will enable the ASELPOD to double as an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) solution in addition to its principal role as a targeting pod.

The ASELPOD weighs 235kg and has a length of 2.35m. Its electro-optical and infrared (EO/IR) sensors can track up to eight targets at a laser-designation range of up to 25km, and a general range of up to 55km. It can track moving vehicles such as main battle tanks at up to 15km. The ASELPOD can be used a day and at night, and it is capable of being paired with laser-guided and INS/GPS precision-guided munitions.

Comment and Analysis

This is among two major defence programs to have been finalized between Turkey and Pakistan in June, with the other being a deal to upgrade Pakistan’s Agosta 90B submarines.

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF)’s rationale for procuring the ASELPOD could be drawn to three major reasons: First, the apparent desire to have the JF-17 support the Sniper-equipped F-16 in ground attack missions in Pakistan’s counterinsurgency (COIN) campaign over the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). To what extent this purchase is motivated by that desire, especially in response to the defunct deal for new F-16s, is not known.

Second, demonstrating the JF-17’s platform flexibility. By integrating the ASELPOD, the PAF can tangibly demonstrate that the JF-17 is truly compatible with a wide range of systems available on the market, including Western equipment. While some prospective customers could be content with sourcing the Chinese WMD-7 targeting pod with LT and LS-series bombs (e.g. Nigeria), others, such as Morocco, could prefer Western systems. The ASELPOD is proof that it could be done, and – to Aselsan’s benefit – it makes the ASELPOD an option for customers seeking a ‘NATO-standard’ system.

Third – while achievable through the WMD-7 – it enables the PAF to diversify the source of its tactical attack capabilities, which today is heavily centered on the F-16s, which are configured to use the Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod alongside the Paveway and Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM).

Unlike the Sniper and Damocles, the ASELPOD provides the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) with a higher margin of freedom in terms of munitions pairing and usage, and a lower cost and regulatory burden.

The PAF will likely push to pair the ASELPOD with laser-guided bomb (LGB) and precision-guided bomb (PGB) designs that are (or at least could be) produced domestically. For example, the Range Extension Kit (REK) produced by Global Industrial Defence Solutions (GIDS) would be a prime candidate for pairing with the ASELPOD. The JF-17 could use the ASELPOD to identify a target at stand-off range, and then feed the target’s coordinates to the REK-equipped Mk-8x bomb, which has a range of up to 60km. For solutions that are not yet produced in Pakistan, the PAF has the freedom to shop around for designs of its choice.

The TuAF and Aselsan are committed to the ASELPOD program. In the coming years the ASELPOD will see various improvements – such as two-way data-link its EO/IR sensors – as well as potentially EO/IR range extension. Aselsan has other programs in the pipeline as well, such as a photo-reconnaissance pod derived from Terma’s Modular Reconnaissance Pod, and a tactical synthetic aperture radar (SAR) reconnaissance pod. Whether the PAF would opt for these solutions is another story, but these are options.

Turkey can become a major defence exporter in coming years, Inshallah!

Keep working hard, and stay focused. It's time that Islamic World moves towards military independence in an increasingly dangerous world. Turkey can be a corner stone in this effort.

Turkey-Saudi Arabi-Pakistan should cooperate in this sector

Published on Jun 29, 2016
According to Turkey Monch Publishing, a leading Turkish language defense news outlet, Aselsan will sell 16 ASELPOD advanced targeting pods under the $25 million contract. The delivery of the pods will begin in 2017, and the integration process take place in both Turkey and Pakistan.

why ? you think this aint good enough?
Pakistan-Test-fires-Cruise-Missile-RAAD-with-stealth-technology.jpg

make sure nobody sees you said that otherwise you'd be doomed.
seriously, why? ok it looks a bit prettier i guess.
asm roles?
you have this
A5F12673-E5D3-4B79-88FB-174C124CE242_zpsjml2lr0w.jpg

and dont forget this
JF-17%2BWith%2BCM-400AKG%2BMissile.jpg

:D :D Cause SOM is Light weight Smaller in size then Ra'ad what wrong in having more options
Well SOM was built to be integrated on F-35 we can use them on F-16 or maybe J-31 in future..

There's nothing wrong in asking question :D

Back
Top Bottom