What's new

2012 Worlds most livable city: Melbourne, Australia

I can understand if any of the Nordic cities are in top ten....like Helsinki, Stockholm or Oslo.....but Vienna? WTF!

355400-melbourne.jpg

MELBOURNE has claimed gold as the world's most liveable city for the second year in a row but Sydney has lost its status as Australia's second-most desirable destination to Adelaide.

Melbourne has edged out Austria's capital Vienna to claim the Global Liveability Survey title of the best city in the world to live in for the second year running.

Adelaide, Sydney and Perth have also featured in the top 10, while Vancouver - rated third - is one of three Canadian cities listed among the top destinations.

But it's Adelaide's ranking above Sydney that is likely to be the biggest local talking point, with the City of Churches ranked equal fifth, two places above.

Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey editor Jon Copestake says while Melbourne enjoys top bragging rights, there is little separating the top Australian cities.

Four of the five surveyed made it into the top 10 globally and were separated by just 1.6 percentage points. Brisbane was number 20.
The most influential people in Sport

"Australian cities continue to thrive in terms of liveability - not only do they benefit from the natural advantages of low population density, but they have continued to improve with some high profile infrastructure investments," Mr Copestake said in a statement.

"In Adelaide, projects completed in recent years under the Strategic Infrastructure Plan for South Australia have been enough to move the city above Sydney, whose score is unchanged (from 2011)."

The global liveability survey is an annual list compiled by the EIU, initially as a test of whether human resource departments needed to pay a hardship allowance in expatriate relocation packages.

Melbourne's score of 97.5 per cent is close to the perfect score, with the city only losing points for climate, culture and petty crime.

Adelaide lost points on culture and environment but new infrastructure in the city catapulted it above Sydney.

The harbour city scored well in health care, education and infrastructure but was regarded the least stable among the list of top 10 cities in a category that considers crime, the terror threat and the risk of civil unrest.

Mr Copestake said the impact of the Arab Spring and the Euro zone crisis were significant factors in the 2012 global rankings.

At the other end of the scale Dhaka in Bangladesh was rated the least liveable city of the 140 considered in the survey.

The world's top 10 most liveable cities:

1. Melbourne, Australia.

2. Vienna, Austria.

3. Vancouver, Canada.

4. Toronto, Canada.

5. Calgary, Canada.

5. (equal) Adelaide, Australia.

7. Sydney, Australia.

8. Helsinki, Finland.

9. Perth, Australia.

10. Auckland, New Zealand.

20. Brisbane, Australia.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Second year in a row and all Australian capital cities are int he top 20 :D

Nice to see 3 Canadian cities in the list as well...

@Isro2222

Please, stop! You're embarrassing!!

Aussies still took it quite lightly because they're laid back.

If it was me, my first response would have been 'Post that comment when your Mumbai/Delhi looks half as nice and half as clean as Melbourne/Sydney.'

And racist? lool Just because some skinheads beat some Indians up, all Australians are racist? What about India then? Heyy do you remember when MNS attacked people from UP/Bihar who migrated to Mumbai to look for better life?

If you can be racist to your own race then some Ausies' behavior is justifiable.

@Aussies,
By the way, I love Australia and Fosters! Good call! ;) :P

Australin cities look great..never been there but i can guess that from the pics...would like to spend a holiday there someday. And I agree with the autralian psoters Indians should stop abusing Australia whil ethey themselve chose to stay there.how doyou feel when BDs abuse India while staying in India ?? its the same thing.

Shatterpoint was talking about this particular Indian psychology. Let me quote him:

Shatterpoint said:
you sir are a idiot, and typical of a lot of Indians who think they and India are so amazing,...

I don't want to demean your country, but please respect ours too. :)

Shatterpoint was talking about this particular Indian psychology. Let me quote him:

I don't want to demean your country, but please respect ours too. :)

No sir, i get your point that shaterpoint was talking about the same exact point...hich I had stressed in my post. period.

But I think , i still dont get why you quoted my post ?? i agreed with shatterpoint and our points are same. Thus what is between Australia and Indians' mentality about Australia is clear and I condemned that. Now what is there to do with Bangladesh in here and what do you quote my post for ?? the second quote in your post in not mine either. could you please bemore clear about what you are implying here ?

Ha, I made that mistake, they don't even drink Fosters in Australia.
:D

I always wondered, if that advertise was exclusive for UK? :D

But nothing beats, a chilled pint of Budweiser on a hot sunny day? (Not like right now :/ )

No sir, i get your point that shaterpoint was talking about the same exact point...hich I had stressed in my post. period.

But I think , i still dont get why you quoted my post ?? i agreed with shatterpoint and our points are same. Thus what is between Australia and Indians' mentality about Australia is clear and I condemned that. Now what is there to do with Bangladesh in here and what do you quote my post for ?? the second quote in your post in not mine either. could you please bemore clear about what you are implying here ?

To quote you again:
Mirza Jatt said:
...how doyou feel when BDs abuse India while staying in India ??...

That clearly sends a disrespectful message to BD members.

Yup :P Though Adelade is more beautiful Perth has better gardens and since the mining boom just about every thing else Melbourne has good food but never found any thing else to like about it. Mind you Christchurch aint going to be winning any awards for being livable for a while.

Australia is sorta like Canada.. but better in many ways. Less population density, no borders, simliar healthcare, relaxed and open people.

Good job Australia!

now where is that Anti-Australia troll Mr Hello_10 ????:taz:

Back
Top Bottom