What's new

2012 Worlds most livable city: Melbourne, Australia

xdrive

Reaction score
Country
Australia
355400-melbourne.jpg

MELBOURNE has claimed gold as the world's most liveable city for the second year in a row but Sydney has lost its status as Australia's second-most desirable destination to Adelaide.

Melbourne has edged out Austria's capital Vienna to claim the Global Liveability Survey title of the best city in the world to live in for the second year running.

Adelaide, Sydney and Perth have also featured in the top 10, while Vancouver - rated third - is one of three Canadian cities listed among the top destinations.

But it's Adelaide's ranking above Sydney that is likely to be the biggest local talking point, with the City of Churches ranked equal fifth, two places above.

Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey editor Jon Copestake says while Melbourne enjoys top bragging rights, there is little separating the top Australian cities.

Four of the five surveyed made it into the top 10 globally and were separated by just 1.6 percentage points. Brisbane was number 20.
The most influential people in Sport

"Australian cities continue to thrive in terms of liveability - not only do they benefit from the natural advantages of low population density, but they have continued to improve with some high profile infrastructure investments," Mr Copestake said in a statement.

"In Adelaide, projects completed in recent years under the Strategic Infrastructure Plan for South Australia have been enough to move the city above Sydney, whose score is unchanged (from 2011)."

The global liveability survey is an annual list compiled by the EIU, initially as a test of whether human resource departments needed to pay a hardship allowance in expatriate relocation packages.

Melbourne's score of 97.5 per cent is close to the perfect score, with the city only losing points for climate, culture and petty crime.

Adelaide lost points on culture and environment but new infrastructure in the city catapulted it above Sydney.

The harbour city scored well in health care, education and infrastructure but was regarded the least stable among the list of top 10 cities in a category that considers crime, the terror threat and the risk of civil unrest.

Mr Copestake said the impact of the Arab Spring and the Euro zone crisis were significant factors in the 2012 global rankings.

At the other end of the scale Dhaka in Bangladesh was rated the least liveable city of the 140 considered in the survey.

The world's top 10 most liveable cities:

1. Melbourne, Australia.

2. Vienna, Austria.

3. Vancouver, Canada.

4. Toronto, Canada.

5. Calgary, Canada.

5. (equal) Adelaide, Australia.

7. Sydney, Australia.

8. Helsinki, Finland.

9. Perth, Australia.

10. Auckland, New Zealand.

20. Brisbane, Australia.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Second year in a row and all Australian capital cities are int he top 20 :D

Second year in a row and all Australian capital cities are in the top 20 :D

Even though I love Melbourne, and prefer it over Sydney, I can't see Adelaide making it anywhere in the top 100. It is a dead boring city.

Also, the rankings are dominated by English-speaking cities, which casts doubt over its credibility.

They use alot of things to establish a score. climate, culture, crime, infrastructure etc etc.

Sydney is more overcrowded, worse infrastructure and higher crime than Melbourne.

They use alot of things to establish a score. climate, culture, crime, infrastructure etc etc.

Sydney is more overcrowded, worse infrastructure and higher crime than Melbourne.

Sydney's infrastructure is better than Melbourne's. Apparently Melbourne is more stable and has better culture and environment.:what:

2j1oa44.jpg

Sydney is best city, I lived their for 6 months, has very good environment, good people etc. (except that two laptops were stolen of me and my housemate in sydney by two italian fellows, but it can happen anywhere)

Livable?.... Like without crime and racism?.... Am trying to keep my emotions under control. there are lot of things i can say but hey its not worth it.... Australia got the best infrastructure. Its true.... But what about the genes? Australia famous around world for just one reason.... i wont say it because smart ones knows it.... Which country is future? its china, india, brazil.... i bet on future rather then clean roads country....

Livable?.... Like without crime and racism?.... Am trying to keep my emotions under control. there are lot of things i can say but hey its not worth it.... Australia got the best infrastructure. Its true.... But what about the genes? Australia famous around world for just one reason.... i wont say it because smart ones knows it.... Which country is future? its china, india, brazil.... i bet on future rather then clean roads country....

You obviously buy into false media reports and overhyping of incidents.

But what about the genes?

What does a persons genes have to do with how livable a city is? :confused:

Roybot posted a graph which shows what the scores were measured on.

You obviously buy into false media reports and overhyping of incidents.

What does a persons genes have to do with how livable a city is? :confused:

Roybot posted a graph which shows what the scores were measured on.

A lot of people in India blindly believe the sensational media reports, most of which comes from the reporter's imagination.

Melbourne rocks, Melbourne has everything expect the freezing cold in winter which I hate, but Melbourne is very multicultural, some great restaurants from the around the world, awesome cuisines from every corner of Earth and relaxed cafes etc.

Australia is the lucky country, great place and most of Australia is blessed with awesome natural beauty as well, and the people in Australia actually care about our environment and we take pride in keeping our cities and wilds clean.

How about your India huh? India is one of the most racist nations on Earth, how about the way Indians treat women? How about all that corruption, crime and poverty? And what about the caste system? I guess it's in Indians genes to live in ***** and to rape and sexually abuse women as well, and how about those Indians who attacked a 16 year old girl in the middle of a city and about 200 Indians just stood around and watched, while the police took 30 minutes to get there, so yes lets talk about genetics. And while we are at it how about those Indians who kill the girl children, talking about having disgusting genetics, you sir are a idiot, and typical of a lot of Indians who think they and India are so amazing, but yet they all run away to the West.

Would love to visit Gold Coast someday, looks like one big party joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom