What's new

Zardari Blinks... Not! Geo Blocked! Sherry Rehman Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Zardari is set to make an announcement by today evening.

They say he has already given the go ahead to an end to Governor Rule, and is still working out how the Judges can be restored.

Despite all the pressure on him he is still a shrewd politician I wouldn't be surprised if he turns the tables on NS

i seriously dont trust this guy. he might be tryin to buy more time to play another of his card

They say he has already given the go ahead to an end to Governor Rule, and is still working out how the Judges can be restored.

more more chief, more on this news please ! you can't just do this to me i have already watched 5 bbc news by hour at a straight head is spinning need sleep :hitwall:

Last edited:
more more chief, more on this news please ! you can't just do this do this to me i have already watched 5 bbc news by hour at a straight head is spinning need sleep :hitwall:
Pakistani president agrees to lift governor's rule in E province_English_Xinhua

Pakistani president agrees to lift governor's rule in E province

ISLAMABAD, March 13 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has agreed in principle to lift governor's rule imposed in eastern Pakistan province, local television reported on Friday, a move considered to be taken to defuse current political crisis in the country.

The president agrees to lift the governor's rule in Punjab and allow the provincial assembly to elect new chief minister, private Dawn TV channel quoted sources as saying.

Last month, A Supreme Court verdict has banned former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, also chief of the opposition party Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), and his brother Shahbaz Sharif from holding office.

The verdict also removed Shahbaz Sharif from the office of chief minister of eastern Pakistan's Punjab province, the country's largest and richest province where the PML-N holds power.

Nawaz Sharif has accused President Asif Ali Zardari, who is also the co-chairman of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP), of standing behind the verdict.

The PPP-led government has imposed governor's rule in Punjab after the court ruling, instead of allowing the provincial assembly to elect new chief minister.

The verdict has caused strong opposition from Nawaz Sharif, who decided to participate in the lawyers' "long march", which entered the second day Friday aimed at restoring judges sacked by former President Pervez Musharraf in 2007 when he imposed emergency rule.

Reports said hundreds of political activists and lawyers have been put under house arrest over the past three days.

The "long march" has plunged the troubled country into another political crisis a year after the new government took office.

anyway the N-league is claiming that they have not been approached by the govt. and they will not move from their stated position until Zardari follows through on the agreements signed between PPP and PML-N

things are moving fast! very fluid!

Maybe he felt threatened after Mr. Kurd's speach. :P

Last edited:

I don't know how you Pakistanis world over look at this. For me it is a clear sign of a democratic victory. Their might have been some backroom negotiations but the very fact that the people came to street and forced it to happen is a welcome sign.

If Kayani has a role in getting all parties together he will be rated as one of the best COAS ever to have walked on the Pakistani soil.

Democracy has to face many tests and take many small and big steps to institutionalise itself in any country. In this light I think it is a big day for Pakistan hope all you guys keep up the momentum still things stabilize.

I don't know how you Pakistanis world over look at this. For me it is a clear sign of a democratic victory. Their might have been some backroom negotiations but the very fact that the people came to street and forced it to happen is a welcome sign.

If Kayani has a role in getting all parties together he will be rated as one of the best COAS ever to have walked on the Pakistani soil.

Democracy has to face many tests and take many small and big steps to institutionalise itself in any country. In this light I think it is a big day for Pakistan hope all you guys keep up the momentum still things stabilize.
Without a doubt its a big win, but till the deposed judges are reinstated and the old ones kicked out, the democracy guys won't consider this as any win.

Bringing the old judges back would mean the dissolution of the NRO.

Breaking News!!

IN WHAT could be termed as curtains for Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari’s career as a powerful political centre, the Pakistan Army and his own Prime Minister on Friday (March 13) have given him 24-hours to accept a political deal or else face the spectre of being sidelined.
As part of the deal, which sources said is backed by Pakistan Army, America and other friends of Pakistan, Prime Minister Gilani has been asked to convince the President to show flexibility in dealing with his political opponents as well as on the reinstatement of judges

Gilani has been given 24 hours to bring the President on board to the new political arrangement, which is likely to realign the power structure in the country. Zardari’s call is crucial in the sense that if he opposes the plan, then it is likely he will be removed from the top post and the post of the President would again be marginalised.

This will also lead to restoration of the office of the Prime Minister and Gilani will be empowered to function with full powers. It also will lead to Nawaz Sharif of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) joining the national cabinet.

The deposed Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will be reinstated and it involves the removal of Punjab governor Salman Taseer, who has been held responsible for worsening relations between Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and PML (N).

The new deal reportedly came through after the powerful Pakistan Army chief, Ashfaq Parvez Kayani asked the Prime Minister to set the house in order. This meeting set the agenda of the new deal with United States and other powers intervening to ensure that democracy stayed on course in Pakistan

Meanwhile, highly placed sources said that United States was behind the new deal being floated to bring back political normalcy in Pakistan. America, they said, was also responsible for holding the Pakistan Army chief from staging a coup as it did not want another bout of army rule in that country.

Pak army, PM ask Zardari to accept new deal or go

You know what will be the next phada?

They will reinstate him as Chief Justice with the entire SC bench as the current judges. Iftikhar Choudhary won't be able to do anything.

So then there will be a movement to depose those PCO judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom