What's new

Featured Zaheer Ahmad Babar appointed new Chief of Pakistan Air Force

Air Marshal Zaheer Ahmad Babar is currently serving as Deputy Chief of Air Staff for Administration.
He joined the GD(P) branch of the Pakistan Air Force as a fighter pilot in 1986.
He later went on to command a fighter squadron, an operational air base, and a regional air command before becoming DCAS-A. In his staff appointments, he has served as Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Operation Research & Development), Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Training Officers) and Director General Projects at Air Headquarters Islamabad. He has also served as Additional Secretary at Ministry of Defence. He is a graduate of Combat Commanders’ School, Air War College and Royal College of Defence Studies, UK. In recognition of his outstanding services, he has been awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military).
Defence Ministry has moved a summary consisting of 4 Air Marshals to appoint New Air Chief Marshal of Pakistan Air Force to the PM Imran Khan

No Kidding.

I think its a good choice. Emphasis was placed on administration skills and not media image or fame.

interesting order
Of pic above, the guy at the top is senior most in the group gdp course and the guy at the bottom jr most of the group let’s see what will IK decision be

Not that it matter at that level, 2 guys with f16s one guy from pure mirages and one with both
zaheer ahmad has mirage background? is it? you wrote both in which sense?

The colour of his white wing shows that he has logged upto 1500 hours flying compared to that Haseeb Paracha supports a red wing translating that he has clocked close to 3000 hours.

Spent some time to dig pictures of last 17 Air Chiefs of PAF. All of them were red winged. I am sure flying experience matters. I hope correct choice has been made.

It's not uncommon for govts to ignore the officers who are popular among the masses. Maybe because of their own insecurities.

AM Haseeb was moved from operations to logistics post 27 feb. That in itself is a downgrade on account of the ACM/ air staff displeasure.
But it could also be that he had served his term and was posted out, so as to give someone else a better shot at the top spot.
The outgoing chief has a big say in who becomes the next chief as the PM asks for his advice in such matters.

Like youths in the West idolise Footballers or Pop singers, Haseeb Paracha sahib was an iconic poster boy for the youths of Pakistan.

I had this poster in my room :-).
Standing in front of a fully bombed up F-16 (12x MK-82s & 4x AIMs) and Potohar jeep with title something like "What else could you ask for"..

Air Marshal Zaheer Ahmad Babar
Having commanded a fighter squadron, an operational air base, and regional air command, Air Marshal Zaheer Ahmad Babar was commissioned in GD (P) branch of the PAF in April 1986.

During his dazzling career, he has served as assistant air chief for operation research and development (R&D), assistant air chief for training officers, and the director-general of projects at the Air Headquarters in Islamabad.

A graduate of the Combat Commanders’ School, Air War College, and the United Kingdom's Royal College of Defence Studies, he has also served as the additional secretary at the Ministry of Defence.

In recognition of his outstanding services, he has been awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military).

But he will retire on 3 July 2022 ?
when ever some one become CJCSC , Army Chief , Air Chief , Naval Chief in Pakistan , no matter how much time HE got till retirement HE will be there for 3 full Years atleast ( if no extension ) .

Last edited:
I suppose that seniority won the day.

Good choice by the PM.

Good to see that HP will be VCAS. The PAF needs the experience of these veterans.

The lessons of Swift Retort will go a long way in making the PAF even more lethal.

Hopefully the new CAS will take the PAF to greater heights.
I don't recall seeing a VCAS being picked on the same day as the CAS. Either the VCAS news is fake or something new has happened.

Among the 4, 3 will retire on the same date:

1: Air Marshal Nauman Ali ( 3 July 2022 )
2: Air Marshal Zaheer Ahmed Babar ( 3 July 2022 )
3: Air Marshal Javad Saeed ( 3 July 2022 )

But only
4: Air Marshal Haseeb Paracha will retire on 9 September 2022.
when ever some one become CJCSC , Army Chief , Air Chief , Naval Chief in Pakistan , no matter how much time HE got till retirement he will be there for 3 full Years atleast ( if no extension ) .

Back
Top Bottom