What's new

Yilmaz: Turkish soldiers will stay in Afghanistan even if NATO withdraws

Yuuki

Reaction score
afghanistanm20130423205302.jpg&w=625&h=424

Yilmaz: Turkish soldiers will stay in Afghanistan even if NATO withdraws

23 April 2013 20:49 (Last updated 23 April 2013 20:50)
Turkish defense minister said Turkish soldiers would stay in Afghanistan even if NATO withdrew after 2014

ANKARA (AA) - Turkish National Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz said that Turkish soldiers would stay in Afghanistan even if NATO withdrew after2014.

Recalling that he had visited Afghanistan two weeks ago, Yilmaz noted that he met with Afghan president who said they felt safe near Turkish troops.

Thus, even if NATO withdraws from Afghanistan after 2014, we would like to stay in Afghanistan, said Yilmaz, adding that Afghan president conveyed his formal request about this, and Turkey accepted it.

Regarding the capture of eight Turks in Afghanistan by Taliban, Yilmaz said that there was no new development about the issue, but the condition of Turks were well.

Yilmaz expressed hope that Turks would be released soon.

Yilmaz: Turkish soldiers will stay in Afghanistan even if NATO withdraws Anadolu Agency

That's what I expected, why would Turkish Army withdraw? The real question is to what degree the Afghan security forces will need our help. Will they be able to take where ISAF left off, or are we to finally get our hands dirty. Our personnel didn't receive any combat duty yet, this may have to change.

He's right. after NATO's withdrawal, we may have to use force for future problems that will cause.

sure, why not. as long as the turkish taxpayer keeps the bucks running like a sheep. let 'em stay there forever.

Indeed i dont see any reason to leave since we came all the way to there specially when our situation is uniqe : Turkish soldiers are accepted by local population not seen as foreign invaders unlike rest of the NATO soldiers.

We did not get involved with fight but instead only helped development(on a large scale) and thanks to these facts our soldiers are accepted.As long as things don't started get ugly and Karzai goverment start to fall i dont see a reason withraw troops now.Today there are 1800 Turkish ISAF personal in Afghanistan but that number could be easily increased to 5000 and interesting thing is NATO chairman Rasmussen was asking same thing three months ago(to increase our troop numbers) , we could earn some lobby points inside US Senate quarters you know.

Seems the Germans are keen to stay too. Guess the Talibs aren't doing as well as many in this forum hoped.

Really? Didn't they already started to transfer back their armors through Turkmenistan(railroads)?

Really? Didn't they already started to transfer back their armors through Turkmenistan(railroads)?

Not keeping heavy armor....but they said they wanted to keep some units there....training I assume. When my cousin was in Iraq towards the end....they had no tanks, even though he was a tanker....he just trained local units (in infantry and house-clearing tactics no less)

Happy to see Turkey's commitment towards peace and development in Afghanistan. The people there (not just Turkic people) need your help . Their army is not that strong yet to be able to handle Taliban alone.Afghans will be very grateful.

Turkey is indeed a model muslim nation.

If they like us that much then why didnt they free the 8 or 9 Turks yet ?

Actually I'd prefer to fight against them rather them being loved by them. I don't mean civilians. Thought, you know whom I meant :)

If they want to stay, they are going to need more people.

I have been saying all along that countries who are far from Afghanistan, should send their armies. Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bosnia, Morroco and Egypt under the UN mission.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom