What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Thanks to the never ending efforts of "Honorable Wall Climbers" (四机同框,当了一回爬墙党)
4 Y-20 spotted, 6 being confirmed so far
6oqc3ZT.jpg
eZNAfKC.jpg
JkLFej8.jpg
It appears that they're waiting for the WS-20 to be incorporated ... no wonder why the low production

It appears that they're waiting for the WS-20 to be incorporated ... no wonder why the low production
6 already in service and surely a few more in pipeline ready to be delivered end of the year. I dont think if 8 Y-20 to be produced in a year is considered a slow production.

I predict we will not see the so called W20 install on Y-20 anytime sooner. The fat engine we saw tested on IL-76 testbed is not WS20 but CJ1000 engine to be used on C919.

China has no problem on Y-20 engine. They are using WS-18 which is an upgrade clone of D30KP2. China unlike US which needs to transport a 72 tons MBT. WS-18 thrust is enough to satisfy PLAAF global transport in the next 10 years since we do not forsee the need to transport a 72tons mbt around. PLA heaviest mbt is only 54tons. The requirement is different from USAF. The best is WS-18 is used on H-6k, a new bomber which is currenly mass produced for PLAAF and is part of PLAAF global strike due to its longe range plus the capacity to carry many stand off CJ-2000 cruise missile.

There is no need to add in another variant of engine into military to complicate the logistics of PLAAF.

Last edited:
6 already in service and surely a few more in pipeline ready to be delivered end of the year. I dont think if 8 Y-20 to be produced in a year is considered a slow production.

I predict we will not see the so called W20 install on Y-20 anytime sooner. The fat engine we saw tested on IL-76 testbed is not WS20 but CJ1000 engine to be used on C919.

China has no problem on Y-20 engine. They are using WS-18 which is an upgrade clone of D30KP2. China unlike US which needs to transport a 72 tons MBT. WS-18 thrust is enough to satisfy PLAAF global transport in the next 10 years since we do not forsee the need to transport a 72tons mbt around. PLA heaviest mbt is only 54tons. The requirement is different from USAF. The best is WS-18 is used on H-6k, a new bomber which is currenly mass produced for PLAAF and is part of PLAAF global strike due to its longe range plus the capacity to carry many stand off CJ-2000 cruise missile.

There is no need to add in another variant of engine into military to complicate the logistics of PLAAF.
I thought they were still using that D-30KP-2 engines, not the WS-18 or WS-20. The fact that the current engines look identical to the Russian ones does not bode well. Right now, the Y-20 can only hold around 50 tonnes, but with the WS-20 it can do around the mid 60's. Remember, copying engines is just as arduous and difficult, why not just design a new engine entirely? More importantly, China has a limited stockpile of D30KP2s and probably doesn't want more ...

I thought they were still using that D-30KP-2 engines, not the WS-18 or WS-20. The fact that the current engines look identical to the Russian ones does not bode well. Right now, the Y-20 can only hold around 50 tonnes, but with the WS-20 it can do around the mid 60's. Remember, copying engines is just as arduous and difficult, why not just design a new engine entirely? More importantly, China has a limited stockpile of D30KP2s and probably doesn't want more ...
WS-18 looks identical to D30kp2. Who told you it supposed to look different? Chinese RE the D30kp2 but the metallurgy has improved result in better lifespan and higher thrust.

http://errymath.blogspot.com/2015/01/ws-18-new-type-of-aircraft-engine.html#.WcakzbKg_IU

https://tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com/tag/ws18/

The supply of engines are not restricted by Russian. Everything is homegrown.

WS-18 looks identical to D30kp2. Who told you it supposed to look different? Chinese RE the D30kp2 but the metallurgy has improved result in better lifespan and higher thrust.
I’m not sure about that ... why not just accept it that the Y-20’s engine is a D30kp2? Why would they make an identical WS-18 when there’s a WS-20 in the pipeline? And once again, copying engines is extremely difficult ... let alone making them look identical.

I’m not sure about that ... why not just accept it that the Y-20’s engine is a D30kp2? Why would they make an identical WS-18 when there’s a WS-20 in the pipeline? And once again, copying engines is extremely difficult ... let alone making them look identical.

Listen, only WS-18 engines which is identical in size to D30kp2 can fit into the brand new, newly made H-6k advance bomber. See the H-6k bomber engine inlet and do you think the fat WS-20 can fit into the new H-6k?

H-6k are to stay with PLAAF for another decades or more. They will not be decommission soon since they are just freshly made few years ago . If there is no WS-18, you expect China to depend on Russia engine supply for their strategic H-6k for the next decades or more? China will never depend on critical component from others in long term. They do plan alot. WS-18 had long planned in the past 10 years or more.

WS-20 which is also aka CJ-1000 engine are more for C919 project.

Why not you accept the engine on Y-20 is WS-18? Why must it be D30kp2? WS-18 has higher thrust and better lifespan, it will gives H6k more payload. Same as Y-20.
But most importantly, China can made as many H-6k, Y-20 with no restriction.

Last edited:
Pakistan army aiforce did not bought heavy lifters or cargo planes since C 130 Hercules IL 76 was good induction but we cannot take it in stretegic lifter catogry since it was bought for mid air refueling

Pakistan Airforce and army comibinly procure these Y 20 for stretegic lifter it will be handy to drop our AL KHALIDS directly in battles and Pak Marines can use it too for lifting their goods of air defence radars in kach areas where no one can go

I think China needs at least 50 of these in the near time ... that would significantly increase their logistical abilities by astronomical amounts ... unfortunately, I don't see this happening until the WS-20 incorporation which is going to happen in a year.

Y-20 has successfully completed the 1st flight test with passengers from the large aircraft R & D team members :china:
这是我国大型军用运输机运-20进行的首次人员空运试验。运输装载试验是今年试飞任务的重中之重,人员空运试验为其中的一项重要科目,存在“规模大、风险大、组织难度大”等突出特点。

该试验的顺利完成,有效验证了飞机的运输性能、设计的安全性以及系统的稳定性,进一步给用户建立了信心。此外,此次飞行也是截至目前我国自主研制飞机搭乘人员最多的一次飞行。
Sb2tG4.jpg

New Chinese aircraft has a record number of passengers
Source:Global Times Published: 2017/9/24 23:18:40

43426b35-8a39-4142-98ab-f7c87d194678.jpeg
A Y-20 transport aircraft taxis in Chengdu, capital of Southwest China’s Sichuan Province on June 16, 2016. File photo: VCG

China's heavy transport aircraft the Y-20 welcomed its first group of passengers aboard on Friday, while setting a record for the number of people carried on a single flight by a domestic aircraft.

The success of this flight clearly demonstrated the performance, safety and stability of the Y-20 in the first test flight of this kind, which will boost customer confidence in the aircraft, the Aviation Industry Corporation of China's (AVIC) First Aircraft Institute announced on Saturday on its WeChat account.

Qiang Suihong, an AVIC engineer who took part in the flight, said, "As one of the developers, I'm really honored and proud to be on board the aircraft."

"The experience during the flight and communications with the flight crew will help us find any deficiencies in the design and make progress in the future," Qiang said.

The passengers were all members of an AVIC Y-20 development group.

The State-owned AVIC was responsible for both the design and manufacturing of the Y-20 long-range transport aircraft, which had its maiden flight in January 2013, and made its debut at the 10th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, in November 2014.

The aircraft officially went into full service with the Chinese air force in July 2016.

Back
Top Bottom