What's new

Xinjiang Province: News & Discussions

I am very impressed with the Chinese high-speed rail network. I wish the same can be said with the US passenger rail system.

It is expensive and inefficient for each individual to own a car. It would be nice if there are more options for mass transit system such as public buses, reliable and fast train services in the US.

I am very impressed with the Chinese high-speed rail network. I wish the same can be said with the US passenger rail system.

It is expensive and inefficient for each individual to own a car. It would be nice if there are more options for mass transit system such as public buses, reliable and fast train services in the US.

How come? A good condition used car only cost $5,000-$10,000.

How come? A good condition used car only cost $5,000-$10,000.

The average cost per new car in the US is $32,000. This number is probably averaged out with luxury vehicle such as Mercedes, BMW, and etc.

I rarely see new car goes below $16,000.

People can buy cheaper used car, but used need to be replaced more often and repaired more often. When you factor in everything, they are not much cheaper. On top of that, all cars start as new. The only thing different for owning a used car is that someone else paid a little bit more for his or her share of the car, but the total cost of the car won’t change.

Assume a person buy a new Corolla (around $16,000-18,000), which last roughly 10 to 12 years. Keep the math simple and let’s do it without any added interests, month cost owning a car over the life time of the car would be around $140.

Typical insurance cost here in the States is $40-100 per months, then again pick the lower end at $50 per month.

Gas for the first time drop below $3 in the past few years. Assume average MPG at 30 (actual in 2013 was around 25 MPG), and an average person drive around 1000 mile per month.

Factor in other misc. cost such as wide shield wiper, breaker replacement, tires, wiper fluid, oil change at only $20 per month.

When added up all the cost above it would easily go above $300. For most of the people, they need to make $400-450 before tax just to afford a car (assume income tax around 25%).

It takes 10%-15% of income just to get to work. The cost of traveling long distance with car is not cheap either when depreciation of the car are added to the cost of fuel.

*Sorry, there is a lot of assumptions.

Last edited:
I am jealous of trains in China! we've got to get them in the USA and India asap. Well, apparently Modi talked to Abe and Li/Xi about this, so let's see if we can buy some and get tracks laid down soon. read recently that the start will be teh Delhi-Chennai route in 6'30 hours

Xinjiang section of high-speed rail goes into service - CCTV News - CCTV.com English

The Xinjiang Section of the Lanzhou-Xinjiang high-speed railway has just gone into service, marking the first high-speed service in China’s far west.

2014111612022128737.jpg

The Xinjiang Section of the Lanzhou-Xinjiang high-speed railway has just gone into service, marking the first high-speed service in China’s far west.

The railway, also known as the Lanxin Railway, follows the path of the ancient Silk Road. It runs over 1,700 kilometers, from Lanzhou, Gansu Province, through the Hexi Corridor, to Urumqi in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. It passes through 39 stations, including Xinjiang’s cities of Turpan and Hami, and Gansu’s Jiayuguan, Jiuquan and Xining.

The travel time needed to cover that distance when the line is in full operation later this year will be reduced to half, at about 9 hours. The railway’s Xinjiang section is 710 kilometers long and is designed for the purpose of transporting passengers only.

My folks live in another state that is about 250 miles from me. A typical trip home would take 4 to 5 hours. If there is high speed rail here, I would be able to take a nap for 1-2 hours on the train and I will be home...

High speed trains are pretty good for travel of such distance.
If you take the G class high speed trains, it will only take one hour & 20 minutes..
Much comfortable than driving 4-5 hours

My folks live in another state that is about 250 miles from me. A typical trip home would take 4 to 5 hours. If there is high speed rail here, I would be able to take a nap for 1-2 hours on the train and I will be home...

The high speed trains are pretty expensive.
Even only 1/3 to 1/4 ticket price in Japan, Chinese still complain about ticket price..
I am wondering if India can run such a high speed train system with sufficient profit.

I am jealous of trains in China! we've got to get them in the USA and India asap. Well, apparently Modi talked to Abe and Li/Xi about this, so let's see if we can buy some and get tracks laid down soon. read recently that the start will be teh Delhi-Chennai route in 6'30 hours

Great. Ban all religious indoctrination in schools. Politicized religion is poison. Religion that interferes in national life is a disgrace and recipe for backwardness and intolerance, whatever name it may come under. Kill off it prematurely.

High speed trains are pretty good for travel of such distance.
If you take the G class high speed trains, it will only take one hour & 20 minutes..
Much comfortable than driving 4-5 hours

I plan to make a trip to China just to ride the high speed rail next year. I had the opportunity in 2008 to ride the much limited high speed rail from Guangzhou to Shengzhen. I was very impressed with how smooth it was. The newer lines from what I have gathered are much more advanced than the one I have ridden.

Wow, congrats to China for this.:china:

Could somebody tell me a few things about HSR in China: How does the cost of the ticket compare to airfare? Are either or both subsidized by the govt? Without any subsidies, what would be cheaper? (In India rail travel is highly subsidized, so it is very cheap.)

Also, which company built this particular line?

Are there any Chinese members here who travel on HSR lines frequently?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom