What's new

Xinjiang Province: News & Discussions

I would suggest you to take the high speed train from Shanghai to Beijing.
It takes about 5 hours and it is pretty comfortable and smooth
Also comparing to 3 hour air flight, you will save the total time considering arrival and departure from airport
My boss from US like the high speed train very much. He always take the high speed train..

I plan to make a trip to China just to ride the high speed rail next year. I had the opportunity in 2008 to ride the much limited high speed rail from Guangzhou to Shengzhen. I was very impressed with how smooth it was. The newer lines from what I have gathered are much more advanced than the one I have ridden.

The HSR price is always fixed while air ticket has discount
.HSR ticket is about half price of non-discount air ticket at same distance.
If you get a high discount air ticket, it will be cheaper than HRS.
Also we have much cheaper low speed train like 120Kmh level.
Then it is only ten percent of air ticket
The railway are built and operated by government owned company.
I travel a few time on HSR.
Business traveler usually like HSR, time saving, more comfortable. Ticket paid by company..
If we are traveling on your own expense, we will balance between air ticket, high speed and low speed trains...
Wow, congrats to China for this.:china:

Could somebody tell me a few things about HSR in China: How does the cost of the ticket compare to airfare? Are either or both subsidized by the govt? Without any subsidies, what would be cheaper? (In India rail travel is highly subsidized, so it is very cheap.)

Also, which company built this particular line?

Are there any Chinese members here who travel on HSR lines frequently?

Wow, congrats to China for this.:china:

Could somebody tell me a few things about HSR in China: How does the cost of the ticket compare to airfare? Are either or both subsidized by the govt? Without any subsidies, what would be cheaper? (In India rail travel is highly subsidized, so it is very cheap.)

Also, which company built this particular line?

Are there any Chinese members here who travel on HSR lines frequently?
EG,from two north cities, Dalian to Qinhuangdao
1. No.K715 , slowest train 112¥,830km, 20stops, will stop at every small station,take 11.6hours;
2. HSR, No.D31, 178¥,590km, 8stops, take 3.6hours
3. air plan, G52693, Full price tickets 500¥+30¥Insurance+50¥Airport construction fee+40¥Fuel surcharges=620¥,take 1 hours and you should reach airport 2hours earlier.
Lowest discount tickets if you buy 15days earlier 120 ¥+30¥Insurance+50¥Airport construction fee+40¥Fuel surcharges=240¥, and airports alwasy stay out of city;

Price: air 240¥-620¥,HSR 178¥,lowest train 112¥;
Time:air 3hours,HSR 3.6hours,lowest train 11.6hours;
Punctuality rate:air 66%,HSR 99.9%, lowest train 80%
Comfortable:air 85, HSR 95,lowest train 70 (if full score is 100 )

China starts building new Xinjiang railway

English.news.cn

2014-11-17 21:22:59

GK铁路.png

URUMQI, Nov. 17 (Xinhua) -- China has begun building a railway linking the northwestern Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region with other parts of the country.

Work began on the 1,214-km line between Korla in southern Xinjiang and Golmud in neighboring Qinghai Province on Sunday, according to Urumqi Railway Administration.

At a cost of 37 billion yuan (6 bln U.S. dollars), construction is scheduled to take five years. The railway is the latest improvement to the rail connectivity of Xinjiang, a key area in the Silk Road economic belt.

For years, the Lanxin railway was the only link between Xinjiang and other parts of China, before a high-speed rail line began operations on Sunday.

In June, construction began on a railway linking Ejina in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region and Hami in Xinjiang.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-11/17/c_133795926.htm

Large rare metal discovery in Xinjiang - Global Times

Geologists have discovered a large field containing rich deposits of rare molybdenum in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, local officials said Tuesday.

Molybdenum is a hard, silvery mineral mainly used as an alloying agent in steel and tungsten. It is used in the aviation, construction and military manufacturing industries.

With at least 573,000 tons of proven reserves, worth an estimated 60 billion yuan (10 billion US dollars), it is the largest deposit of molybdenum ever discovered in the resource rich Xinjiang.

The mine is located 100 kilometers south of Yumin County, northwestern Xinjiang, according to the regional mining authority.

The discovery will not only advance the development of the new Molybdenum-related industry in Xinjiang, but will also benefit local revenue and employment, according to the authority.

The authority has worked with a mine company from neighboring Qinghai Province and has spent six years and 100 million yuan on the exploration project.

I came here thinking of kryptonite:woot:

Anyways now chinese are gonna put more pressure on global markets,already they have stopped/decreased the exports of rare earth metals:china:

Anyways now chinese are gonna put more pressure on global markets,already they have stopped/decreased the exports of rare earth metals:china:

Kryptonite is over-rated, we need element zero or the equivalent to get us into space. (Okay, I just finished watching Interstellar. Good movie.)

huh....bro, but the amount of rare earths metal that leaves China illegally is even more than the amount they export legally. So we dont have to fear much about the 'rare earth metal' restrictions. Since the government there seems not to be able to even control it themselves, which is truly surprising for an authoritarian government. Seems they dont have that much authority/control over provinces. because its really surprising they are unable stop the illegal trade.:undecided: its good for the outside world though(especially , E.U/U.S/Japan who are the largest rare earth consumers) .:D So discovering new resources deposits is not the problem, knowing how to exploit them is the real deal. You can have all the resources in thsi world, but if you are not smart enough to know how to exploit them/make good use of them/gain maximum value from them, then you might even be better off without them to be honest.:bounce:

China must tackle rare earth industry chaos - People's Daily Online

Last edited:
Large rare metal discovery in Xinjiang - Global Times

Geologists have discovered a large field containing rich deposits of rare molybdenum in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, local officials said Tuesday.

Molybdenum is a hard, silvery mineral mainly used as an alloying agent in steel and tungsten. It is used in the aviation, construction and military manufacturing industries.

With at least 573,000 tons of proven reserves, worth an estimated 60 billion yuan (10 billion US dollars), it is the largest deposit of molybdenum ever discovered in the resource rich Xinjiang.

The mine is located 100 kilometers south of Yumin County, northwestern Xinjiang, according to the regional mining authority.

The discovery will not only advance the development of the new Molybdenum-related industry in Xinjiang, but will also benefit local revenue and employment, according to the authority.

The authority has worked with a mine company from neighboring Qinghai Province and has spent six years and 100 million yuan on the exploration project.

That's one of the metal WS 15 is waiting for.

huh....bro, but the amount of rare earths metal that leaves China illegally is even more than the amount they export legally. So we dont have to fear much about the 'rare earth metal' restrictions. Since the government there seems not to be able to even control it themselves, which is truly surprising for an authoritarian government. Seems they dont have that much authority/control over provinces. because its really surprising they are unable stop the illegal trade.:undecided: its good for the outside world though(especially , E.U/U.S/Japan who are the largest rare earth consumers) .:D So discovering new resources deposits is not the problem, knowing how to exploit them is the real deal. You can have all the resources in thsi world, but if you are not smart enough to know how to exploit them/make good use of them/gain maximum value from them, then you might even be better off without them to be honest.:bounce:

This problem is being taken care of as we speak since, as you say rightly, there was hardly any regulation before. The rare earth industry is becoming more consolidated. Oftentimes you can read illegal miners being busted here and there. Soon there will be one or two large state monopolies controlling the industry and, as China limits the mining and export due to environmental concerns, prices will increase (there is already a tendency to that direction as China's rare material export decreases).

How could a self-proclaimed law abiding country knowingly use contrabands?

It is really beyond me,you hypocrites。:D

Maybe the rule of law is just a puff of hot air and used by the West to interfere in others‘ internal affairs?

Anyhow,it takes time to clamp down on the illegal miners。

China authoritarian?

An average Chinese enjoys far more freedom than an average Brit。

I can practically do or say anything I please apart from voting into office a politician whom I know nothing about。

Call it lawless if you must。:D

Good cirr great response those Brits forgot rule of law when they sold opium and when their citizen was executed by china for drugs just see their complaints and concern that's why their society is full of crackheads.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom