What's new

Xinjiang Province: News & Discussions

How could a self-proclaimed law abiding country knowingly use contrabands?

It is really beyond me,you hypocrites。:D

Maybe the rule of law is just a puff of hot air and used by the West to interfere in others‘ internal affairs?

Anyhow,it takes time to clamp down on the illegal miners。

China authoritarian?

An average Chinese enjoys far more freedom than an average Brit。

I can practically do or say anything I please apart from voting into office a politician whom I know nothing about。

Call it lawless if you must。:D

LOOOL why are you taking a simple observation i made persoanal bros?o_O Even your Chinese brother Taishang response was respectful and to the point and he made some valuable points to counter my points while avoiding insults/bringing in unrelated stuffs into his remarks.
What has my point got anything to do with the U.S/west being hypocrites?o_O Have you even been following my comments on this site? If you did ,then i will be the last person you will call 'hypocrite'. You definitely choosed the wrong words for the wrong person bros. I say things i have observed/red, its not like i invented this news. It is soemthing even your own country officila newspapaers have wrote about. So what does it have to do with the 'more freedom the chinese enjoys compared to the average Brit'?:o:
I dont even understand what you were trying to prove in your comment to be honest. Moreover, im even surprised my friend War is peace brought opium war into the discussion. WTH has this got to do with the point i made?:tsk:
Jeez...someof you Chinese members seem to get too defensive on anything critical/shortcomings about your government, even something your own official media has recognised/agreed with. No government/politicians is a saint/innocent or whatever, there are of course always shortcomings in ever country on earth. Though some are more than others, but doesnt change much. This is why i myself have made several points on here recognizing our govenments in the west/U.S/U.K shortcomings and their exploitation policies they have implemented in Africa for over a century now to this day and their other foreign policies democratic/freedom hypocrisy.So before you label such insults against someone, make sure you have gone throught heir posts well/know them well bros.
Finally, i have never indulged in personal attacks on here, so i expect others to do the same(though i know its too much to ask for most members on here.lol), so if you continuemaking personal insults against my simple points i made, then i will have to just ignore you next time bros. No hard feelings though, we can always agree to disagree respectfully without insults. We are mere civilians afterall, not politicians/officials, so we wont ever change our country policies no matter how patriotic/insulting towards other we might be.So why not just be friends/respectful towards others? we lose absolutely nothing in doing that? :cheers:

They did the same thing with Afghanistan.

Someone dig up that afghanisthan story.

all bluff. to bring citizen into the state line willingly.

this is called "the carrot". :coffee:

rare earth export banned by China govt. So wonder is the news useful to foreigners?

Last edited:
rare earth export wasn't banned by China govt. So wonder is the news useful to foreigners?

No, it was regulated and put on a quota, hence, the increased price in rare metals. In the near future, China aims to fully control the global prices of rare material, a strategic asset in times of need. So, two tasks:

*Keep the customers attached, do not alienate them
*Use it as a leverage when the situation arises.

This is what China is working on

The capital of China's restive region of Xinjiang will recruit 3,000 former soldiers to help guard its residents, the Chinese government has said.

The soldiers will be carefully vetted to determine their political views. They will join the military and police forces that often patrol Urumqi.

The move comes amid a crackdown against the Uighur Muslim minority group.

China has blamed a spate of violent attacks in Xinjiang on Uighurs pushing for the region's independence.

The BBC's Celia Hatton says that tensions have been on the rise in Xinjiang, where 175 people have died so far this year in clashes between Uighurs and the Han Chinese majority, according to China's state media.

This is a huge increase on the same period last year when 45 people were killed.

This is the first time former soldiers have been asked by China to guard Urumqi.

Those applying for the role must be under 30, have left the army within the past year and prove that they are "against separatism and illegal religious activities," our correspondent says.

Xinjiang's recruitment office told the BBC it is yet to receive many applications.

Xinjiang hires ex-soldiers to protect residents - Global Times

Xinjiang hires ex-soldiers to protect residents
By Zhang Hui Source:Global Times Published: 2014-11-28 0:48:02
Increased terror threat requires more manpower: expert

Urumqi in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region will for the first time recruit 3,000 ex-soldiers to protect residential communities, a move observers said is aimed at coping with increased violence and terrorism.

All soldiers who left the service this year, who are under the age of 30, are "against separatism and illegal religious activities" and have no criminal record can apply for the job, the capital city's Civil Affairs Bureau announced Thursday on its website.

The soldiers have to undergo an application process, which includes a political examination and health check before being hired. Once they become community workers, they will be paid at least 3,000 yuan ($500) a month and given a local hukou, or residence certificate, the recruitment ad said.

"The recruitment is a way to maintain stability as well as to help demobilized soldiers get a job," the announcement said.

"This is the first time that we are employing ex-soldiers to maintain community stability," a male employee from the Civil Affairs Bureau, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Global Times.

Observers said that the move reflected the authorities' determination to fight terrorism and separatism, which have become increasingly serious in Xinjiang in recent years.

"The situation in Xinjiang is getting worse, and the government needs more people to prevent further riots from happening," Pan Zhiping, the director of the Research Institute of Central Asia at the Xinjiang Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times.

Xu Jianying, a professor with the Research Center for Chinese Borderland History and Geography at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, agrees.

He blamed the involvement of hostile forces in neighboring regions outside China for an increase in violence in Xinjiang since 2012.

Sixteen police were killed and an equal number were injured after a border patrol armed police division in Xinjiang was raided in 2013, the Xinhua News Agency said.

In March, a group of terrorists led by Xinjiang separatist forces killed 31 people in the Kunming railway station in Yunnan Province. Three of the suspects were sentenced to death and one was sentenced to life in prison.

The local police and military have increased their patrol in Urumqi and other areas prone to terror attacks.

The governments are also mobilizing civil servants to boost exchanges with people at the grass-roots to reduce ethnic conflicts and monitor the spread of religious extremism.

"Maintaining stability in communities is very significant, as violence and major terrorist activities start in local communities," Pan said.

Demobilized soldiers of high political quality and military experience will be able to prevent groups from organizing violent and terrorist activities, Pan said. He added that most community workers in Xinjiang who patrol at night currently are women with no military experience.

In the face of increasing terrorism, the Xinjiang government launched a campaign to crack down on violent and terrorist crimes in May, that will last until next June. Since the campaign's launch, Xinjiang police have busted 115 suspected terrorist gangs, investigated 44 cases involving the spread of explosive making methods online and arrested 238 illegal scripture teachers as of November, according to Xinjiang government's official news portal ts.cn.

However, Xu cautioned that although more people involved in maintaining stability helps guarantee the safety of residents, they can also bring an unnecessary sense of tension among people.

It is also important for authorities to win the support of the Uyghur people who have remained on the sidelines of the government's anti-terrorism campaign, experts say.

"They (the Uyghurs) are more easily instigated by extremists due to a lack of knowledge of terrorism," Pan said.

Since August, the Xinjiang government has been holding a series of cultural activities including short sketch comedies and drawing competitions to help Uyghur people understand extremism and separatism.

Curbs on religious extremism beefed up in Xinjiang- China.org.cn

A regulation prohibiting people from wearing or forcing others to wear clothes or logos associated with religious extremism was passed in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region on Friday.

The revised regional regulation on religious affairs is the first in the country to target religious extremism.

The measure was approved unanimously by the Standing Committee of the Xinjiang People's Congress, and is due to come into force on Jan 1 next year. It is intended to protect legal religious activities.

"An increasing number of problems involving religious affairs have emerged in Xinjiang," said Ma Mingcheng, deputy director of the Xinjiang People's Congress and director of its legislative affairs committee.

"The old regulation, which was passed 20 years ago, just cannot handle new situations, such as the spreading of terrorist or extreme religious materials via the Internet or social media, and using religion to interfere in people's lives."

He said the regulation has taken two-and-a-half years to draft, and is the most discussed and debated measure in the region's history due to the sensitivity and importance of the subject.

Religious extremism has become the main threat to stability in Xinjiang and has led to an increasing number of terrorist attacks in and outside the region.

The new regulation contains 18 new articles, most of which clarify the nature of illegal and extreme religious activities, Ma said.

It defines religious extremism as activities or comments that twist the doctrines of a religion and promote thoughts of extremism, violence and hatred.

Local authorities will be given the right to ask people not to wear clothes or logos linked to religious extremism, though the types of clothes and logos are not specified.

The regulation prohibits people from distributing and viewing videos about jihad, or holy war, religious extremism and terrorism in or outside religious venues, and requires religious leaders to report such activities to the local authorities and police.

People will not be allowed to practice religion in government offices, public schools, businesses or institutions. Religious activities will have to take place in registered venues.

The regulation says people should not use religion to interfere with the judicial system or wedding and funeral traditions.

"The revised and new articles all target the most urgent and unique problems in Xinjiang's religious affairs and are very practical," Ma said. "We want people to know what religious activities are protected and what need to be stopped."

Li Juan, president of the Xinjiang Police Academy, said most of the measures already introduced to combat religious extremism are based on government directives that have no legal force. Law enforcement officers sometimes handle religious issues inappropriately, causing conflict between the government and the local people, he added.

Ma said the regional people's congress has been helping the National People's Congress to draft an anti-terrorism law, and may draw up a regional regulation after it is introduced.

"Legislation in Xinjiang will focus on combating terrorism and curbing the spread of religious extremism so social stability and lasting peace can be achieved," he added.

Legislation in Xinjiang will focus on combating terrorism and curbing the spread of religious extremism so social stability and lasting peace can be achieved."

Also 3000 ex PLA will be beefing up security in Xinjiang, we need hard measures to take down these scums.

I agree. You need to kill off the malignant elements to prevent the cancer of political religiosity in the society. Whatever it takes.

BEIJING: Chinese state media said 15 people have been killed in an attack in the country's troubled western Xinjiang region.

The official Xinhua News Agency said 14 other people were injured in what it said was a terrorist attack on Friday in Shache county.

The Tianshan news portal said on Saturday that the attackers used vehicles, knives and explosives in the assault. It said the dead included 11 of the attackers.

Such attacks have claimed dozens of lives in Xinjiang over the past year.

Members of the region's Muslim Uighur (WEE-gur) minority group have bristled under what they say is repressive Chinese government rule.

Fifteen killed in 'terrorist attack' in China's Xinjiang: Report - The Times of India

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom