What's new

World's second-tallest building under construction in Mecca

Have a Break guys , this is Madinat'ul Hujaj complex and you would be living here for 40 days at some stage of your life instead of living in a tent.

This architecture is incredible & yes it was long needed.

People are still performing Hajj without a problem for 'space to live' for 40 or so days, in Makkah. A conservative estimate is around 30-60 million people every year!

These architectures are nothing but a big conspiracy to benefit few elites at the cost of common people, in KSA.

Fighter

Tower of babel!
Perhaps tourism would be a good option after oil runs out

regards
non muslims are not allowed to visit Makkah ...so no point of tourism..n in Hajj Days million already visit the Holy City..

The Makkah Clock Royal Tower, Second Tallest Building in the World Will Be Opened Soon

As the space crunch on Earth continues, most buildings are going vertical. The second tallest building, which is just about 251 meters shorter than Dubai’s 828-metre tall Burj Khalifa, will be unveiled soon. The 76-story and 577-meter high Makkah Clock Royal Tower, scheduled to open in the third quarter of 2010, will become the worlds tallest hotel, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts Group said early this week.

Th-Makkah-Clock-Royal-Tower.jpg

The Makkah Clock Royal Tower - Second Tallest Building in the World

The tower will serve as the focal point of the iconic Abraj Al Bait Complex, which is part of the King Abdul Aziz Endowment Project whose mandate is to upgrade the precincts of the Two Holy Mosques. The complex will include seven towers adjacent to the Holy Mosque, the holiest site in Islam. The tower, which is being developed by the Saudi Bin Laden Group, will also house the Emaar Residences.

At the center of the complex will also be The Fairmont hotel, the Lunar Observation Center and Islamic Museum. The hotel, which is scheduled to open in mid 2010, will have 858 rooms, and will feature Fairmont Gold, the company’s exclusive “hotel within a hotel”, and seven restaurants. The Makkah Clock Royal Tower, will include a 40-meter clock, more than five times larger than Big Ben in London, which will be visible up to 17 kilometers away and will announce the daily prayers to the Muslim world.

The newly developed property, Makkah Clock Royal Tower in Saudi Arabia, will be a key destination for visitors from the United Arab Emirates and the Middle East, strengthening the popularity of Fairmont Hotels and Resorts with travelers from the region, the hotel group said in a statement.
Th-Makkah-Clock-Royal-Tower-1.jpg

Th-Makkah-Clock-Royal-Tower-2.jpg

There are already many buildings in the locality.. Is it the height factor you people concerned about?
Are you guys acrophobic ( fear of height)? This is a architectural marvel and would be great treat for eyes for commoners and will provide some luxury for the rich sheiks.

Last edited:
But what about those earthquakes that are prophecised to hit Mekkah?

They could have at least made it farther away...

Are you asking becuase you believe in Prophecies or you just don't like it there?

In any case people who have been to mecca knows that there is almost zero space around Haram and city is connected to it via tunels and narrow roads.

I see no reason problems in such development, it is suppose to be for pilgrims who had to go Haram daily 5 times to pray and may be more. mind it, Pilgrims incl. women, children and elderly aswell.

Does the Arabian peninsula even have enough people to fit in those buildings. ._.

I think they are just wasting resources.

Don't bother, it is Allah the creator of all resources he will grant more...

Those buildings are not enough... to accomodate Muslims, even of single state from Arabian peninsula.

oh my god so this is the place of this building hmmm i have seen other structures near to that building and all of them are operational did not know they are building this building in between these two twin towers that are already opened.

Very nice buildings but a bad choice. Its just in front of haram...... cross the road and you are inside haram (if it has to do anything with those twin towers)

Are you kidding me??? what a disgrace this is. When one goes to makkah, to perform hajj, umrah whatever one goes with the intention of leaving behind the materialistc world. To leave behind the idea of status, and not to say look i can afford to live in this skyscraper and live in a 5 star hotel whilst you live in a 1 star, 2 star hotel. The whole meaning of that place is simplicity and equality. The way it was at the time of the prohept Muhammad (P.B.U.H). Now im not saying we should all live in tents when we go to makkah, but seirously the whole idea of human equality and the simple lives that our beloved prophet lived goes away with these kind of buildings. really bad!:disagree:

didn't the saudi government actually destroy some holy graves to make way for this ?

Are you kidding me??? what a disgrace this is. When one goes to makkah, to perform hajj, umrah whatever one goes with the intention of leaving behind the materialistc world. To leave behind the idea of status, and not to say look i can afford to live in this skyscraper and live in a 5 star hotel whilst you live in a 1 star, 2 star hotel. The whole meaning of that place is simplicity and equality. The way it was at the time of the prohept Muhammad (P.B.U.H). Now im not saying we should all live in tents when we go to makkah, but seirously the whole idea of human equality and the simple lives that our beloved prophet lived goes away with these kind of buildings. really bad!:disagree:

you know i'm not religious but your absolutely right :tup:

To: Organization of the Islamic Conference , Motamar Al- Alam Al-Islami , Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, United Nations.
The Saudis are now set on unprecedented onslaught of demolishing the birthplace of Prophet Muhammad and other historical structures in the heart of Mecca and Medina, the cradle of Islam, revered by the world's 1.5 billion Muslims. Over the last two decades most of Makkah's 1000-year-old historic sites have been bulldozed and replaced by hotels and other concrete jungles. Failure to protect them from destruction is the biggest tragedy for the Islamic architectural heritage. The Saudi royal family claims to be guardians of the holy places of Islam, and profit hugely from the centuries by visiting believers to Makkah and Medina for pilgrimage. And yet, they are party to this barbaric desecration of the holiest sites in the Islamic world.

Today, the religious zealots in Saudi Arabia are not alone. Commercial developers such as Bin Laden Group have joined hands with them and are making hundreds of millions in profits as they build ugly, but lucrative high-rises that are shadowing the Grand Mosque know as the Kaaba. Today Saudi petrodollars have the ability to silence even its most vocal critics, but when all is said and done, history will render a harsh judgment on those who try to wipe out its footprints and steal the heritage of all humanity.

The problem is the Saudi's interpretation of Islam; they are opposed to the preservation of the old historic structures due to belief that some Muslims in their ignorance would be overcome with love and awe that historic sites may invoke, leading to idolatrous thoughts. Destruction of the most precious sites in Islam for fear of idolatry by some is like killing a child for fear that he may grow up to be less than pious. In effect, behind the obsessive fear of idolatry lies a complete lack of understanding and total fanaticism of radical Islam, unable even to appreciate its own past.

What is the reason for this silence: "Is it because Muslims nations have become so overwhelmed by the power of the Saudi denial of Visas for Pilgrimage (Hajj), that we have lost all courage and self-respect? Or is it because we feel a need to cover up Muslim-on-Muslim violence; Muslim-on-Muslim terror; Muslim-on-Muslim oppression?

We Muslims constantly rail against any wrongs inflicted on fellow-Muslims by non-believers, but hold our silence when Muslims kill, exploit and terrorize other Muslims. Thus, when the Americans kill Iraqis, or the Russians persecute Chechens; we are rightly offended and resentful. But when Saddam Hussein massacred Kurds and Shias for years, Muslims around the world maintained a discreet silence. So why this conspiracy of silence? Thousands demonstrated against the desecration of the Holy Book Quran at Guantanam and thousand complained at the remark by Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado, referring to Makkah and Medina said "If there is another 9/11 we should take out their holy places," Where are those zealots now? Why aren't preachers at mosques demanding that the Saudi government halt their destructive plans? Alas, these double standards are what now define the Muslim Community. We have become completely neutered when it comes to criticizing other Muslims. This is not of washing our dirty linen in public but this is the time to self-analyze and self-criticize and these things need to be said out loud, clear and often.

Saudi Arabia, in which Wahhabism is the state form of Islam, has a long history of vandalizing and demolishing historical monuments. Cultural devastation of Islamic heritage sites is not a new phenomenon. In 1801 the Saudis-Wahabbis waged a campaign against the Shia Muslim destroying and defacing the sacred tomb of the Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq. Then in early 1920 Saudi rulers Aal-e-Sa'ud bulldozed and levelled a graveyard in Medina - Cemetery of Al-Baqee -and Jannatul Moualla - in the holy city of Makkah that housed the shrines of the holy Prophet Muhammad, his family and his companions. This anniversary falls Oct 9th, (8th Shawal 1426) and is Know as Yaum-e-Ghum.

The Saudis followed their conquest of Mecca and Medina in the mid-1920s with an orgy of destruction. They levelled the "Jannat al-Baqi" or "Heavenly Orchard" at Medina that included graves of the Prophet Muhammad's son Abraham, as well as numerous of the Prophet's relatives and companions. They also looted the Prophet's Shrine in Medina and demolished the cemetery in Mecca that included the graves of Muhammad's mother and grandfather. They completely destroyed mausoleums, mosques, and other honoured sites, including Muhammad's own house. It was even said that they wished to uproot the grave of Muhammad himself and tear down the Kaaba, the stone temple at the centre of Mecca. They were prevented from this last act by pressure from Muslims around the world. Wahabism vandalism continues today, by levelling of five of seven mosques built in the city Mecca & Medina by Muhammad's daughter and four of his companions. These structures are the Mosque of Sayyida Fatima bint Rasulillah, Salman al-Farsi Mosque, Abu Bakr Mosque, Umar ibn al-Khattab Mosque, and Mosque of Ali ibn Abi Talib. Wahhabism is not about faith, but about power and nothing better illustrates the power of the state, in the mind of the Saudi rulers, than the desecration of holy places--including Islamic sites dating from the time of the Prophet Muhammad himself.

My pain is what type opium we Muslim masses are on anyway? What will it take to shake our deep slumber? We Muslims should be in no doubt that acts of terrorism do not speak for Islam, and that the perpetrators will get no shelter and no moral support from the people who love God (Allah). Today, Islam needs to find the resources within it to combat extremism. More importantly, the moment has come to shift our the struggle to warn the West about jihadism and campaign to organize mainstream, traditional Muslims, throughout the world, for the liberation of our communities and our faith from the grip of corrupt rulers - whether in Saudi Arabia, or elsewhere throughout the Arab and Muslim worlds. What is all more disturbing is that Muslim Nations around the world continue to remain silent at the desecration of our Holy sites.

Stop Wahhabi / Salafy Destruction of Islamic Historical Sites in Makkah & Madinah Petition

didn't the saudi government actually destroy some holy graves to make way for this ?

They distroyed Holy sites couple of years ago but still some places are left. Now you find hotels all around Haram and i heard they will demolish those hotels to expand Haram and made larger buildings in future.

Say whatever buildings you find closer to Haram will be demolished and a new one with more floors will replace them. They have expanded Haram (where the Holy Ka'ba is) also to accomodate more peoples and making tall buildings to accomodate pilgrims.

I am not against tall buildings but i am against these buildings be just in front of Haram. They may have built these buildings in a place called "Al-Aziziya" and rather kept smaller buildings close to haram to avoid distracation in your Worship

They distroyed Holy sites couple of years ago but still some places are left. Now you find hotels all around Haram and i heard they will demolish those hotels to expand Haram and made larger buildings in future.

Say whatever buildings you find closer to Haram will be demolished and a new one with more floors will replace them. They have expanded Haram (where the Holy Ka'ba is) also to accomodate more peoples and making tall buildings to accomodate pilgrims.

I am not against tall buildings but i am against these buildings be just in front of Haram. They may have built these buildings in a place called "Al-Aziziya" and rather kept smaller buildings close to haram to avoid distracation in your Worship

ahh......there you go whats the point in expanding when your destroying the holy sites ? the whole reason people come there is to visit holy/historical islamic sites not for luxury holiday theres our self proclaimed guardians of islam ! people come to mecca for pilgrimage not to stay in 5 star hotels it's not dubai for thousands of years people survived hajj without these buildings and i'm sure muslims can still do fine without it now also everyone is supposed to be equal if you have these hotels there where only rich can stay it'll take way from that equality .
I'm not even religious but i think it's disgraceful i'm shocked and disappointed to see so many pakistanis praising this but then again they're saudis so i should have expected for some people here to lick their boots i just didn't expect pakistanis to defend them even when they're commericalizing the holy city :disagree:
shame on the saudi government !

Last edited:
ahh......there you go whats the point in expanding when your destroying the holy sites ? the whole reason people come there is to visit holy/historical islamic sites not for luxury holiday theres our self proclaimed guardians of islam ! people come to mecca for pilgrimage not to stay in 5 star hotels it's not dubai for thousands of years people survived hajj without these buildings and i'm sure muslims can still do fine without it now also everyone is supposed to be equal if you have these hotels there where only rich can stay it'll take way from that equality .
I'm not even religious but i think it's disgraceful i'm shocked and disappointed to see so many pakistanis praising this but then again they're saudis so i should have expected for some people here to lick their boots i just didn't expect pakistanis to defend them even when they're commericalizing the holy city :disagree:
shame on the saudi government !

yes are right yaar

but i wouldn't mind if their fares of 5 start hotel is same is 1 star hotel little little far from these hotels. You see there are at least 4 million pilgrams during Hajj time. It is not easy to accomodate everybody. Next year there will be say 0.5 million more pilgrams and hopefully after 10-15 years there will be 6-8million pilgrams? just my guess

Already all hotels are filled up with peoples in couple of miles from Haram during Hajj time. Usually they have 1-2 beds in one room but during Hajj they put 2 beds extra to accomodate 4y peoples in the room. They have to build tall buildings to accomote more peoples but i would have loved to see its about 1 mile away from Haram. It would have made more sense in that way. Buildings that close to Haram is not acceptable to me like you.

But can we really do :cry: the twin towers have already been built up and are operational

Back
Top Bottom