World’s 1st test broadcast of 4K TV begins

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
NSP0037140602.NSK.jpg

Jiji Press

Katsuaki Watanabe, chairman emeritus at the Next Generation Television & Broadcasting Promotion Forum, right, presses a button to start 4K TV test broadcasting in Tokyo on Monday.

7:48 pm, June 02, 2014

Jiji Press The world’s first 4K television broadcast, which has four times the resolution of the conventional full high-definition TV, started on a trial basis in Japan on Monday afternoon.

The broadcast started at 1 p.m. Although Internet 4K video distribution services are already provided in the United States, this is the first time 4K content has been broadcast, via a communications satellite.

The 4K TV shows higher-resolution and smoother video since it is projected at 60 frames per second, double the rate for the conventional TV.

Because of delayed commercialization of tuners, however, 4K broadcasts can be watched for the time being only on TVs at outlets of consumer electronics mass retailers and some other places.

SKY Perfect JSAT Corp. plans to broadcast 4K programs on travel, music and sports on its Channel 4K for about six hours a day, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., free of charge.

The multichannel satellite broadcasting company is considering airing four matches of the World Cup soccer finals in Brazil on the channel, including one between Japan and Cote d’Ivoire as well as the final.

To watch 4K TV broadcasts at home, a 4K-enabled TV and a special tuner are necessary.

However, Sharp Corp.’s launch of a video recorder equipped with a hard disk and a tuner at a retail price of around ¥130,000 is the earliest 4K home product to be launched. It will likely take some time for 4K TV equipment to become popular.

SKY Perfect JSAT plans to start a fee-based 4K TV service as early as next spring after TVs that can receive the ultrahigh-definition broadcasting are commercialized.

Katsuaki Watanabe, chairman emeritus at the Next Generation Television & Broadcasting Promotion Forum, which promotes 4K technology, said at Monday’s ceremony that the forum will work to make 4K and 8K TV services available across Japan before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Does any Japanese tv station do streaming at 1080p? North America tv broadcast less than 720p though they claim high definition.

So I need to buy a super HD TV and tuner costing the earth just to see the pimples on Lady Ga Ga's cheeks in full HD? No way! My present HD TV does that anyway! :D

:smitten: :woot:
Does any Japanese tv station do streaming at 1080p? North America tv broadcast less than 720p though they claim high definition.

I'm currently in the US, and yes, streaming is much slower and of lower quality in the United States as compared to back in Japan.

So I need to buy a super HD TV and tuner costing the earth just to see the pimples on Lady Ga Ga's cheeks in full HD? No way! My present HD TV does that anyway! :D

Hahahaha! too funny @OrionHunter !

For the gaming fanatics , this will be a must-get. This new 4K will be perfect for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One platforms.

:smitten:

Too far ahead, it will be difficult for the mainstream to adopt in worthwhile numbers.
Here in Australia, DVDs are still commonplace and the adoption of blu ray is extremely slow.
Myself, I haven't watched tv for many years now.

I have to buy Curved 4K Ultra HD TV now :woot:
Wait...What?? In Japan :angry: India don't even have 1080p and you guys will enjoy 4K :hitwall:
Anyway Gaming will be awesome on 4K Ultra HD TV with PS4 :wub:

Less 720p can not claim any HD video, 1080p is the standard.
Those lovely American.:-)

Less 720p can not claim any HD video, 1080p is the standard.
Those lovely American.:-)
Unfortunately, some hd channels are clearer than other hd channels, but they just barely touch on 720p variable rate just to pass off as hd. What about in China?

I have to buy Curved 4K Ultra HD TV now :woot:
Wait...What?? In Japan :angry: India don't even have 1080p and you guys will enjoy 4K :hitwall:
Anyway Gaming will be awesome on 4K Ultra HD TV with PS4 :wub:

hahaha its going to be perfect for the new upcoming Mortal Combat X , set for the playstatian 4 (and x box one).

I hope they'll sell some here in US, soon. Else i can always have it shipped from Japan , lol.

I hope we can start selling these to India, soon ! More business ventures :cheers:

Unfortunately, some hd channels are clearer than other hd channels, but they just barely touch on 720p variable rate just to pass off as hd. What about in China?
Most HD devices have 1080p logo, even HDMI output must support 1080p.
I think 1080p is the standard HD video streaming in China, today less 720p devices sell most r 1080p in China market.

Made in China DV
sx-2.jpg

219df1bcaa0fd1ec.jpg

HD digital TV set-top box
%E5%8D%AB%E6%98%9F%E9%AB%98%E6%B8%85%E6%9C%BA%E9%A1%B6%E7%9B%92%EF%BC%88DM800HD%EF%BC%89.jpg

China LCD TV makers sell FULL HD TV
2008120123131467.jpg

2220245138.jpg

11063612_1193097900613_1.jpg

1221119010.jpg

Last edited:
hahaha its going to be perfect for the new upcoming Mortal Combat X , set for the playstatian 4 (and x box one).
I hope they'll sell some here in US, soon. Else i can always have it shipped from Japan , lol.
I hope we can start selling these to India, soon ! More business ventures
When Mortal Combat X is coming out for PS4?? :woot:
True, India is good for this business demand of latest games and consoles are very good here.
4K TV is awesome but very costly for Middle class Indians like me :cray:

The 4K gimmick is getting ridiculous and out of hand. I don't think eye recognize pixel density beyond a certain point.

The 4K gimmick is getting ridiculous and out of hand. I don't think eye recognize pixel density beyond a certain point.
It's for TV till now but imagine it on Smartphones :D It's very hard to recognize pixels on smartphones like new Xperia Z2 or LG G3 because of their 2K display.
Samsung, LG, Sony and some Chinese companies are working on 4K displays for smartphones now :enjoy:

4K, the cost of a 4K set is way too high right now for it to be feasible for the majority of the people. I was planning to buy a 4k monitor for my computer, but the cost for an ASUS and other brands are way too high and out og my reach. Maybe in couple of years the prices come down and we can all afford to buy a 4k tv and monitor, but for now going full 4k is highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom