What's new

World record by BD’s foreign minister- The rise of BD’s global stature?

'Foreign travel' reports upsets FM - bdnews24.com

'Foreign travel' reports upsets FM
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published:July 21 2013 04:52 BDT Updated:July 22 2013 09:44 BDT

Foreign Minister Dipu Moni has blamed a section of the media for an ‘orchestrated’ campaign against her through ‘untrue, cooked up, baseless and motivated’ stories’.

Reacting to some media reports in Bengali and English dailies about her foreign trips, Dipu Moni on Sunday said the Prime Minister gave her permission before any trip and after considering ‘overall’ requirements.

“I stand by my integrity,” she said, hinting at steps “as a citizen to establish my rights”.

She, however, did not elaborate what steps she would take.

The minister provided details of her trips abroad which some media reports described as a 'world record’.

She said she had been abroad for 31 percent of her total 1660 days in the ministry for 114 visits in all -- 36 undertaken with the VVIPs and 62 bilateral visits.

She claimed many of these trips brought positive results for Bangladesh.

“We will soon publish a book of our (Foreign Ministry’s) success in all these years,” she said. "Some people are jealous of our success".

As media reports compared her trips with the former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, she said, "They use their own jet."

“But I have to take two to three flights to go to some Western and African countries. I have to wait even six to eight hours in transit,” she said, pointing that automatically raised her numbers of days abroad.

She said she had to join all UN meetings as Foreign Minister. “But for the US Secretary of State, they don’t have to travel outside for these UN meetings as the office is within their country.

“At least 50 days was spent on my UN trips,” she said.

About reports alleging she travelled to London to see her son, Dipu Moni said her son returned to Dhaka on June 2009, barely six months after she assumed office.

She suggested media to be ‘objective’ in their reporting, unless “it wants to stand in the way of honest politics”.

“We are political people. You can criticise us, but that has to be objective and based on information,” she said.

“They are not brave enough to face me,” she said, insisting they lied in their reports when they said they tried to reach me.

Foreign Minister Dipu Moni has blamed a section of the media for an ‘orchestrated’ campaign against her through ‘untrue, cooked up, baseless and motivated’ stories’.

Reacting to some media reports in Bengali and English dailies about her foreign trips, Dipu Moni on Sunday said the Prime Minister gave her permission before any trip and after considering ‘overall’ requirements.

“I stand by my integrity,” she said, hinting at steps “as a citizen to establish my rights”.

The minister provided details of her trips abroad which some media reports described as a 'world record’.

She said she had been abroad for 31 percent of her total 1660 days in the ministry for 114 visits in all -- 36 undertaken with the VVIPs and 62 bilateral visits.

“We will soon publish a book of our (Foreign Ministry’s) success in all these years,” she said. "Some people are jealous of our success".

As media reports compared her trips with the former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, she said, "They use their own jet."

“But I have to take two to three flights to go to some Western and African countries. I have to wait even six to eight hours in transit,” she said, pointing that automatically raised her numbers of days abroad.

She said she had to join all UN meetings as Foreign Minister. “But for the US Secretary of State, they don’t have to travel outside for these UN meetings as the office is within their country.

About reports alleging she travelled to London to see her son, Dipu Moni said her son returned to Dhaka on June 2009, barely six months after she assumed office.

She suggested media to be ‘objective’ in their reporting, unless “it wants to stand in the way of honest politics”.

“We are political people. You can criticise us, but that has to be objective and based on information,” she said.

“They are not brave enough to face me,” she said, insisting they lied in their reports when they said they tried to reach me.

***** riding on unicorns with tax money. and she is ugly too, would have reconsidered if it was a hot chick. burn her with fire, now! :flame:

As per the info provided, including charges for Flight, Hotel Suits and official allowance it totalled around TK 4. 46 cr. Even after that she did 75 more tours till 10 July 2013.

She gave a new meaning to jetset lifestyle. She lives in one.:woot:

Back
Top Bottom