What's new

US ultimatum to Hasina: Exit constitutionally by Nov 3 or face the music

Hasina will resign just after the unilateral election and will be arrested for killing 75 military officers in Pilkhana.

I don't think Hasina will ever be tried for Pilkhana. Even if she resigns, it will be on the condition of a safe exit.

What I'd like to see is the new government conducting proper investigation on that event and make them public. Even if Hasina remains in exile, just hit at her legacy.

That does not make sense. Bangladesh has limited economic issues with China. Hasina is friendly with India. That may be an issue for Uncle Sam.

In any case I expect Bangladesh to thumb its nose at America. Which autocrat wants to give up power ?

Why would Usa have any problem with Bangladesh being pro India? India is Usa ally in the region.

US has same attitude towards Hasina as with IK and looking for same results.. It wants US compliant anti China gov in power..
It succeeded in Pak and doing same in BD..

Pakistan current government is not anti China, but yes IK was Pakistani nationalist which the USA and allies didn't like, many other issues happened which led to his removal and jail.

I don't think Hasina will ever be tried for Pilkhana. Even if she resigns, it will be on the condition of a safe exit.

What I'd like to see is the new government conducting proper investigation on that event and make them public. Even if Hasina remains in exile, just hit at her legacy.
Yes, you are right to say that Hasina may not be punished for the Pilkhana murder. Actually, I have been waiting for the two groups to sit secretly and talk of how to arrange a safe Hasina exit.

But, this has not happened yet. I believe Hasina will keep on creating favorable public sentiment on the Hamas issue and will linger her stay. No wonder, American Embassy in Dhaka lowered the flag half-mast.

If she resigns, she will exile herself to a country that has no extradition treaty with BD, like the USA, Canada or England.

But, a trial will certainly start in Dhaka as you said. But, Hasina must be aware of a trial in America for her complicity to murder Avijit, a US citizen. I find no escape. She will be caught and taken to America to face it.

There will be no paper investigation either because some other involvement will come out. Only if a patriotic and brave leader comes then it's possible.

I believe you are talking about Indian complicity.

Whoever will be in power after Hasina will come to serve US interest and US interest will require them to do nothing that might affect Indian interest. It's one of the reasons I am not very enthusiastic about US bringing democracy to BD because the next one will not be any better.

Whoever will be in power after Hasina will come to serve US interest and US interest will require them to do nothing that might affect Indian interest. It's one of the reasons I am not very enthusiastic about US bringing democracy to BD because the next one will not be any better.
Democracy has its merits. I believe the next one will be less autocratic. But, I personally do not cherish another idiot Tareque comes to power. He is a thief. How he pays $20,000 equivalent of house rent without stolen money?

I remember, Begum Zia went for an Omrao Hudj with a few suitcases full of dollars and the Taka rate started going down by 3 or 4 Taka to a dollar.

With all the present problem with leadership, I believe a time to come when clean and meritorious/ educated technocrat people would form govt. Well, someday!! But, the country needs pure democracy to make it happen.

The present dictatorship will make BD another North Korea and without industrial/ economic development.

Democracy has its merits. I believe the next one will be less autocratic. But, I personally do not cherish another idiot Tareque comes to power. He is a thief. How he pays $20,000 equivalent of house rent without stolen money?

I remember, Begum Zia went for an Omrao Hudj with a few suitcases full of dollars and the Taka rate started going down by 3 or 4 Taka to a dollar.

With all the present problem with leadership, I believe a time to come when clean and meritorious/ educated technocrat people would form govt. Well, someday!! But, the country needs pure democracy to make it happen.

The present dictatorship will make BD another North Korea and without industrial/ economic development.

The US bringing "democracy" in BD will have only one good outcome, that is the removal of Hasina which is a good thing.

But everything else that will come out of it is going to be bad. The US wants something big from BD, which we don't know about. What we know for sure is that India is useful for the US containment of China and the US will not harm Indian interest and that includes keeping BD under Indian influence. Which is why whoever is allowed to come to power will come with the undertaking to give the US whatever it wants (potentially against our own national interest) and to the very minimum don't do anything that goes against Indian interest, basically will have the continuation of the exact same thing Hasina and BAL stand for today. I also don't think this is going to improve our democracy because if it needs foreign intervention at every election and then political parties need to make deals with foreign powers to win elections, what kind of democracy is it? Proper democracy should be self sustaining.

Which is why whoever is allowed to come to power will come with the undertaking to give the US whatever it wants (potentially against our own national interest) and to the very minimum don't do anything that goes against Indian interest, basically will have the continuation of the exact same thing Hasina and BAL stand for today.
I think co-existence of nations in our zone is a needed component for world peace. It does not hurt us if we understand some of India's problem with its NE with no right passages.

We should allow non-lethal passage through BD land and river system if India pays correct fees for its use. But, no treaty should be without a time frame. It must be confined for a fixed period that can be renewed.

Japan wants to assist in the NE development whereby I feel a big opportunity lies for BD itself. And, I think America has at least two goals about BD.

1) To confine China within its border with Burma. No military entry to the BoB via Burma.

2) No hot pursuit in Arunachal between India and China. American presence dissuades both countries not to pursue military solution of that contested land.

Last edited:
Uncle sam wants something that Hasina cant deliver... he wants total dominance over the foreign policy of Bangladesh... Hasina needs Chinese assistance to stay in power, on the other hand, Uncle Sam wants to play with the dragon from BoB...yes, there is severe corruption and human rights violation , but we all know uncle sam doesn't give a f**k about these issues...they are just using these issues as tools to dismantle hasina government.. the next governmnt of Bangladesh will be more pro US or pro india for sure...

that could be the reason. Otherwise, USA is not a power of morality. USA wants another Pakistan on Indian eastern border to make it easy for India.

My dream is to establish a greater Bangladesh which will include North East India excluding Arunachal Pradesh. I keep NEFA for China.

I think co-existence of nations in our zone is a needed component of world peace. It does not hurt us if we understand some of India's problem with its NE with no right passages.

We should allow non-lethal passage through BD land and river system if India pays correct fees for its use. But, no treaty should be without a time frame. It must be confined for a fixed period that can be renewed.

Japan wants to assist in the NE development whereby I feel a big opportunity lies for BD itself. And, I think America has at least two goals about BD.

I have always advocated for a good relationship with India and all neighbors because it's important for neighbors to co-operate for the development of the region. As such I have no problem giving them transit or whatever co-operation is required as long as our national interest is not harmed and they are happy to pay the fair price for it.

I think America has at least two goals about BD.

1) To confine China within its border with Burma. No military entry to the BoB via Burma.

2) No hot pursuit in Arunachal between India and China. American presence dissuades both countries not to pursue military solution of that contested land.

I am not sure what the intentions of Americans are. But I have following points and objections:

- If this requires establishing an US military base in BD, I am totally against it. No respectable sovereign nation should allow foreign military base in their country, specially the very bad record the US has. Wherever they went they left trail of death and destruction and they will never leave. Once they are in, they will be there permanently. Any leader who will permit this is a traitor of the highest order and it is tantamount to inviting East India Company willingly. Secondly, it will jeopardize our relationship with China. While we need to have good relationship with the US and Europe, we also need good relationship with China, we should not prioritize one at the expense of the other.

- This suggests that there will be American military presence in BD. Unacceptable to me, I am not even ready to entertain the idea of American military base in BD.

- If this requires establishing an US military base in BD, I am totally against it. No respectable sovereign nation should allow foreign military base in their country, specially the very bad record the US has. Wherever they went they left trail of death and destruction and they will never leave. Once they are in, they will be there permanently. Any leader who will permit this is a traitor of the highest order and it is tantamount to inviting East India Company willingly. Secondly, it will jeopardize our relationship with China. While we need to have good relationship with the US and Europe, we also need good relationship with China, we should not prioritize one at the expense of the other.
You are right. No sane BD politician would advocate a US military/ navy base. But, Hasina is too adamant not to resign and accept a fair election.

I believe Hasina is making America's point stronger with the opposition. The next govt may be forced to accept any such demand. But, also note that even SA has American bases somewhere under a defense treaty.

I also think America does not really need a naval base. On the contrary, there will be more frequencies of American/ Western/ QUAD naval visits and joint exercises in the BoB and Indian Ocean. BD may provide them berths for these visits.

A mere infrequent presence in the Bob would deter China from coming down to the BoB via Burma and lure BD under its Communist wings.

There is a large US naval presence in the Diego Garcia island in south Indian Ocean. France also has a few of them.

You are right. No sane BD politician would advocate a US military/ navy base. But, Hasina is too adamant not to resign and accept a fair election.

I believe Hasina is making America's point stronger with the opposition. The next govt may be forced to accept any such demand. But, also note that even SA has American bases somewhere under a defense treaty.

I also think America does not really need a naval base. On the contrary, there will be more frequencies of American/ Western/ QUAD naval visits and joint exercises in the BoB and Indian Ocean. BD may provide them berths for these visits.

A mere infrequent presence in the Bob would deter China from coming down to the BoB via Burma and lure BD under its Communist wings.

There is a large US naval presence in the Diego Garcia island in south Indian Ocean. France also has a few of them.

Some visits and exercises are acceptable to me as long as we can maintain a relationship with the Chinese by taking them into confidence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom