What's new

World Air Forces - Bangladesh

with chinese avionics and radar, it will cost USD15m
with western stuff the cost goes up to USD25m.

It is better than Sukhois in terms of price and maintenance.And probably suits the role of interceptors in BAF.

We have 16 MiG-29s, among them four are MiG-29UB (twin seater) other are MiG-29SE. There is no reason that we should sell our MiG-29. All are in good condition now and is very much capable with our skilled pitols.

Believe or not We badly need Su-30. Beside this we can buy J-10 or JF-17 but these are not replacement of Su-30. J-11 is the chinese version of Su-27.:lol:

Attachments

• MiG-29 ready to fly.jpg
    MiG-29 ready to fly.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 30
  • R73, R-27 AAMs with BAF MiG-29S.jpg
    R73, R-27 AAMs with BAF MiG-29S.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
We have 16 MiG-29s, among them four are MiG-29UB (twin seater) other are MiG-29SE. There is no reason that we should sell our MiG-29. All are in good condition now and is very much capable with our skilled pitols.

Believe or not We badly need Su-30. Beside this we can buy J-10 or JF-17 but these are not replacement of Su-30. J-11 is the chinese version of Su-27.:lol:
Friend/Brother,

Let's not fool ourselves by raising the number of Migs and giving each-other false pleasure. We don't have 16 Migs and the correct number is 8. Dissemination of this sort of disinformation doesn't make us strong over our perceived enemy but silly because the serial numbers of Mig-29s are well known to world armies. So, who are we kidding by doing so?

Friend/Brother,

Let's not fool ourselves by raising the number of Migs and giving each-other false pleasure. We don't have 16 Migs and the correct number is 8. Dissemination of this sort of disinformation doesn't make us strong over our perceived enemy but silly because the serial numbers of Mig-29s are well known to world armies. So, who are we kidding by doing so?

Friend/Brother,
I m not trying to play, I might be wrong but as long i knew we have 16 MiG-29. It depends on skilled and quality more than number.
How the serial numbers of MiG-29SE are well known to the world?

Publicly it is believed that the Bangladesh Air Force has only 8 MiG-29s but this is not the case as they have got a full squadron of 16 MiG-29s. This can be confirmed by Deagal's procurement data as the BAF received 8 MiG-29s in 1999 and another 8 in 2001.

Take a look at pic 1-
10 MiG-29 pilots with their helmet.
Take a look at pic 2-
Note the number of the MiG-29 shelter, suggesting a full squadron of 16 aircraft.

Attachments

• MiG-29 Pilots.jpg
    MiG-29 Pilots.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Mig-29SE.jpg
    Mig-29SE.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 37
Publicly it is believed that the Bangladesh Air Force has only 8 MiG-29s but this is not the case as they have got a full squadron of 16 MiG-29s. This can be confirmed by Deagal's procurement data as the BAF received 8 MiG-29s in 1999 and another 8 in 2001.

Take a look at pic 1-
Take a look at pic 2-
Note the number of the MiG-29 shelter, suggesting a full squadron of 16 aircraft.

10 mig pilots dosnt mean that each has his own a/c. plus the shelter no is no indication.

pls show all 16 a/c lined up on the flight line!

having said that you are the best judge of your air-arm!

We don't have 16 migs.Though 16 were ordered but only 8 were delivered and rest of 8 were cancelled after change of govt.

Now brother,you should also look at the maintenance price of flying those Big Bird Su-30s.Even IAF faces problems with Su-30 maintenance and with our small budget,it impossible for us.

Jf-17 is a single engine interceptor and Su-30 is a twin engine air superiority fighter.Try to understand the difference brother.With our small air space and limited resource,we need interceptors plus good quality SAMs.We don't need Expensive Su-30s.If we can't fly them,what's the use of buying them?

moreover our defence force is defensive.Why do we need Su-30s anyway?Just because it looks good?

Take a look at pic 1-
Take a look at pic 2-

First of all Deagel is not as reliable as Jane's Defence.

Second of all,I also must admit that I fell for those pictures before,but after consulting with some seniors,it is confirmed that we don't have 16 migs.

Only BDmilitary forum talks about it BTW.

Purchasing SU-30 would be pure stupuditiy..just because it's big does not make it suitable for BAF...it's a long range strike fighter....your pilots will hardly get 20 hours a year on this plane considering size of your economy (No Offense meant- you have very small defence budget)..the best solution is purchase either Gripen NG or buy couple squads of JF-17 and equip one Squad of JF-17 with some Europeon AESA radar and missiles....Going in India for strike would be suicide whether you go with Su-30 or JF-17..there is a lot of difference number wise.Your main enemy is burma atm anyway which can be neutralized with JF-17.

Purchasing SU-30 would be pure stupuditiy..just because it's big does not make it suitable for BAF...it's a long range strike fighter....your pilots will hardly get 20 hours a year on this plane considering size of your economy (No Offense meant- you have very small defence budget)..the best solution is purchase either Gripen NG or buy couple squads of JF-17 and equip one Squad of JF-17 with some Europeon AESA radar and missiles....Going in India for strike would be suicide whether you go with Su-30 or JF-17..there is a lot of difference number wise.Your main enemy is burma atm anyway which can be neutralized with JF-17.

If the main enemy is Burma then F-7 is well enough:D cuz they dont have enough skilled pilots and their Mig-29 is not that upgraded. No one decide what we purchase but our air force. JF-17 is not our first choice though it is a good one. JF-17 can be a good replacement for F-7 and A-5III as it have good ground attack capability.
We will not fly to india but india could violet our sky.
Our pilot have good flying our in their record and we need long range fighter.
We have afforded to purchase MiG-29 then and we can afford to purchase Su-30.
But i dont think our GOVT is going to purchase any aircraft within the next year. So table is open for discussion:blah:.

I think, for the time being BAF should go for defensive equipments rather than buying those $30- $50 million air machines. Without first developing our economy it is fruitless to buy many jets. So, it should be two stage defense system. At the initial stage, the multi-target SAMs shall shield our airports, bridges, important govt bldgs and military installations. The second stage shall be to purchase the fighters when economy allows us to do so.

We do not have to compete with India in purchasing armaments. It will just destroy our economic future. Please note that if the economy keeps on growing at 7% per year, then in only 10 years, it will be twice of its present size.

I think, for the time being BAF should go for defensive equipments rather than buying those $30- $50 million air machines. Without first developing our economy it is fruitless to buy many jets. So, it should be two stage defense system. At the initial stage, the multi-target SAMs shall shield our airports, bridges, important govt bldgs and military installations. The second stage shall be to purchase the fighters when economy allows us to do so.
U r damn right, we need medium range SAM now rather than Su-30. We need to protect our communication at any cost, ex- Jamuna Bridge, Herdinz Bridge and the Lalon shah Bridge beside the Herdinz Bridge, Gomoti Bridge, all gas field etc.

We do not have to compete with India in purchasing armaments.
Armaments means Su-30? OK forget about the Flanker but don't u think we need modern fighter beside our MIG-29? Cuz Q-5C or A-5III and F-7MB are too old now.
It will just destroy our economic future. Please note that if the economy keeps on growing at 7% per year, then in only 10 years, it will be twice of its present size.
I think this is time for us to make an initial project for aero space industry as Defence college has opened aeronautical engineering.:azn:

I think you people can get Super Bug instead of an SU 30....It is easier to maintain and is a capable platform. The SU 30 MKI comes at the cost of $80 million. At the same rate F 18 can be purchased.

U r damn right, we need medium range SAM now rather than Su-30. We need to protect our communication at any cost, ex- Jamuna Bridge, Herdinz Bridge and the Lalon shah Bridge beside the Herdinz Bridge, Gomoti Bridge, all gas field etc.

Armaments means Su-30? OK forget about the Flanker but don't u think we need modern fighter beside our MIG-29? Cuz Q-5C or A-5III and F-7MB are too old now.

I think this is time for us to make an initial project for aero space industry as Defence college has opened aeronautical engineering.:azn:
Nobody will disagree with you about the need to purchase fighter jets. But, I would suggest a little patience. Think of our geography, it is so small and it has no depth. A Su-30 still in Indian sky in Tezpur can easily target our vital institutions from there. If India builds an airbase in Tripura, the Sukhois there can target Dhaka, Chittagong, Comilla and Sylhet.

However we try we cannot match the Indian air superiority in terms of number of jets, at least not yet. So, I think, the immediate best defence should be based on SAM missiles alongwith 3D radar systems. In times of real war, India will destroy quite a number of these SAMs, no doubt. But, there still will remain many more to challenge them in the sky.

In my opinion, fixed SAM sites should be avoided, instead, SAMs should be fitted on trucks roaming anywhere and on missile boats roaming in the rivers and shallow seas. When we have a proper defense system, only then it will lighten the burden of fear from attacks by India or Burma. They will be forced to respect our sovereignty.

Cost calculation will show that SAM defense system will be much cheaper than jet fighters, but still many more times effective. At the present condition of economy, we can buy only a few squadrons of fighter planes. This costly purchase will give us only a false sense of protection, but will not cause an inch of dent to the Indian air superiority.

Therefore, I suggest SAM system now, and when the economy develops, then we go for the offensive weapons.

Although not completely aware of what the requirements of the BAF are, I would think if high-tech element is required which is affordable, cheap to operate and provides room for growth, the BAF would be serviced extremely well by the Gripen. Unlike Pakistan, BAF will have no problems with sanctions etc. The aircraft is as high tech as any 4-4.5gen aircraft available. When PAF have evaluated the aircraft, they have liked it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom