What's new

Will IAF have an edge over PAF in advanced air weaponry?

It didn't get bungled up; Qatar wanted an ungodly amount for the Mirage 2000's. I believe it would have been almost the same amount to have new ones built instead of procuring them from Qatar. They waited too long though.

Hi,

So what is the price for national security----we spend 100's of million dollars on wasteful projects---what would be the big deal if we wasted another 500---800 million on something useful---.

Qatari and UAE ( ! ) mirages were a blessing in disguise----they still are as of today----even if pakistan procures them somehow by tomorrow---it will totally level the playing field for the next 5 to 8 years----the 20 years of disparity between IAF and PAF will disappear in a moment----we would not even remember if it existed.

Today, we have to worry about around 400 indian aircraft which are technically superior to PAF----with the mirage 2000's we will only have to wory about SU 30 which are about 100 in numbers ( correct me please on numbers).

It is only one hour or plus flight time from Qatar / UAE to karachi----in one plus hour PAF will be pretty much at par with IAF----supposedly all the mirages landing at masroor at one time---( it is not possible in such a short time but ).

PAF thinks that these planes will need to be upgraded after 10 plus years----to them the air to air parity today is not as important as the future upgrades are.

I am pretty sure most pakistani members here are PAF lovers and so am I----but the problem here is that PAF is still living in its past glory of 65 and somewhat diminished performance of 71---.

People are still talking about the GRIPPEN---and here is what I am putting down again---PAF was never a contender for the Grippens---before going in they already had ideas that the plane was technologically too advanced for them---possibly in the first 30 days of evaluation, they confirmed their assessment about it----it was way out of league for the PAF---but still they stroked themselves and the people of pakistan for years and they played sweden as well---for what purpose and to meet what end that they had to play that game----it was totally an atrocious behaviour playing with the emotions of pakistani people and equally troublesome to waste valuable time not to get what was needed urgently on a ---I need it now basis.

People talk about man behind the machine----well that is fine if he had TWO EYES TO WATCH WHAT WAS HAPPENING AROUND HIM---today---majority of PAF pilots are flying BLIND as compared to the IAF. They have no vision---they are blindfolded----their planes have these puny little radars which they cannot see beyond their own feet----and we compare them to the SU 30's---the radar emission of that plane would roast a pilot's you know what from 50 miles away---.

My analysis is that PAF is not pro-active in its approach to present issues---its mentality is stagnant---there is too much in-breeding---in house thinking---their view point is not BVR----because they have been flying and believing in their VVR planes for too long---what PAF needs is an out of the box approach----what they need is an outsider to tell them what they are missing---.

They need to learn it from pak army and pak navy.

To those who believe in man behind machine----a computer example

PAF IS LIKE A DOS / WINDOWS 95 COMPUTER-----WHILE THE IAF IS FLYING IN THE WINDOWS VISTA MODE.

The fiery breath of the dragon is visible to all and sundry---it just needs a little courage to strike at the knight in his little shiny armour---the only problem here is that IAF shudders to think what if they loose 10---20 SU 30's on day one of surgical strike missions---how will they be able to show their faces to the rest of the world. We human beings are funny people. We cannot forget the losses that we took in that past. It just totally un-balances the cart. And being embarrassed in front of the whole world----" if I could just drown myself in a cup of water "!!!

Mastan, you are correct, there are about 100 Su-30's in IAF fleet. 4 sqdrns and 5th is already being converted.

And secondly, IAF Mirage 2000 are being upgraded to Mirage 2005/2009. Negotiations had been on for months now.The contract has been finalized, it only remains to be signed.

And the contract to upgrade MiG 29 to MiG 29SMT standard has already been signed. The SMT upgrade is NOT the regular SMT upgrade that Russia does for MiG 29's. It is much more advanced and customzed. This upgrade is based to bring the IAF MiG 29's at par with the MiG 29K of the IN.

congratulations and thanks mastan sir for the reality check in your fine post above

Hi,

So what is the price for national security----we spend 100's of million dollars on wasteful projects---what would be the big deal if we wasted another 500---800 million on something useful---.

Qatari and UAE ( ! ) mirages were a blessing in disguise----they still are as of today----even if pakistan procures them somehow by tomorrow---it will totally level the playing field for the next 5 to 8 years----the 20 years of disparity between IAF and PAF will disappear in a moment----we would not even remember if it existed.

Today, we have to worry about around 400 indian aircraft which are technically superior to PAF----with the mirage 2000's we will only have to wory about SU 30 which are about 100 in numbers ( correct me please on numbers).

It is only one hour or plus flight time from Qatar / UAE to karachi----in one plus hour PAF will be pretty much at par with IAF----supposedly all the mirages landing at masroor at one time---( it is not possible in such a short time but ).

PAF thinks that these planes will need to be upgraded after 10 plus years----to them the air to air parity today is not as important as the future upgrades are.

I am pretty sure most pakistani members here are PAF lovers and so am I----but the problem here is that PAF is still living in its past glory of 65 and somewhat diminished performance of 71---.

People are still talking about the GRIPPEN---and here is what I am putting down again---PAF was never a contender for the Grippens---before going in they already had ideas that the plane was technologically too advanced for them---possibly in the first 30 days of evaluation, they confirmed their assessment about it----it was way out of league for the PAF---but still they stroked themselves and the people of pakistan for years and they played sweden as well---for what purpose and to meet what end that they had to play that game----it was totally an atrocious behaviour playing with the emotions of pakistani people and equally troublesome to waste valuable time not to get what was needed urgently on a ---I need it now basis.

People talk about man behind the machine----well that is fine if he had TWO EYES TO WATCH WHAT WAS HAPPENING AROUND HIM---today---majority of PAF pilots are flying BLIND as compared to the IAF. They have no vision---they are blindfolded----their planes have these puny little radars which they cannot see beyond their own feet----and we compare them to the SU 30's---the radar emission of that plane would roast a pilot's you know what from 50 miles away---.

My analysis is that PAF is not pro-active in its approach to present issues---its mentality is stagnant---there is too much in-breeding---in house thinking---their view point is not BVR----because they have been flying and believing in their VVR planes for too long---what PAF needs is an out of the box approach----what they need is an outsider to tell them what they are missing---.

PAF IS LIKE A DOS / WINDOWS 95 COMPUTER-----WHILE THE IAF IS FLYING IN THE WINDOWS VISTA MODE.

The fiery breath of the dragon is visible to all and sundry---it just needs a little courage to strike at the knight in his little shiny armour---the only problem here is that IAF shudders to think what if they loose 10---20 SU 30's on day one of surgical strike missions---how will they be able to show their faces to the rest of the world. We human beings are funny people. We cannot forget the losses that we took in that past. It just totally un-balances the cart. And being embarrassed in front of the whole world----" if I could just drown myself in a cup of water "!!!

Agreed! "ub bolo jo mujhe kah rahay thay PAF bla blaa men behind machine lol" now Answer of above paragraph ...

Hi,

Dear Mastankhan,

With all due respect, I think you skipped some aspect. I'll come back to your first paragraph at the end.

1. How can you say IAF has 400 aircrafts that are "superior" to what PAF have and in the next very sentence say if we get the qatari/UAE Mirages it will disappear in a moment? How many Mirages do you have in mind and whats the cost of them? Heck, who says UAE is willing to sell them tomorrow? As for Qatari Mirages, they are quite old so I am not a big fan of them.

2. Yes total cost has to be taken into account including future upgrades. The question is..are the Mirages the only option we have today to match the disparity? While one may argue that they are cheaper than say a newly built plane but are they that cheap? I don't think so. All I have heard on forums are fanboys saying UAE would sell them to us quite cheap because of "their respect for PAF" or may be because of "Muslim brotherhood". Nice way to decieve yourself but thats not how the real world works always.

Another argument, like you said, is we could equalize the disparity in an hour. Again with respect, that's a naïve statement. How can someone induct a plane and suddenly become an expert at it at a second's notice? While some PAF pilots may be flying training the UAE airforce, but getting a competent combat-ready squad is another thing altogether. Same goes with its repair/overhauling....though we have a Mirage III factory, takes time to convert that to a Mirage 2K one. Weapons, engine, etc are all issues.

My point here being that although it might be far shorter to induct M2Ks to say Grippen or J10, but it aint simple as you're making it out to look. And in a relatively not so larger time frame, we could induct our JF-17s or say J10s instead. We do not have the money to get both.

3. While its true that PAF has a "F-16 mania" (they have some practical reasons though), you tend to neglect the whole 90s decade-ridden factor from the whole equation. Tell me what option PAF had during the 90s? They tried the Mirages but it became victim to politics. Hardly much PAF could have done there! Its during these difficult times that PAF resorted to China for the JF-17 program. If we have the luxury of US equipments and no monetary restraints, I am sure these MLU's would have been done much before and new F-16s (BVR capable) ordered too.

Things were quite hard for PAF till 2002. And only by 2004-5 did we start having less tense monetary constraints to look around. And by that time relations with India had got better, there were US gurantees of no tension on the eastern borders, etc and PAF could afford the time to let JF-17s be inducted instead of hurriedly buying whatever you get to cover up.

Assuming a shift of the little money PAF has to mirages, we must cut from the JF-17 orders...which in turn translate to having less F-7 replacements or, in reality , meaning going below the 1:3 ratio of planes between PAF and IAF. Would the advantage of getting the Mirages be greater than loosing on numbers?

Lets face it....for the last two decades, except for a 3-4 year window, PAF has been hit hard but either sanctions or monetary constraints. You are partly right that PAF didnt jump up to bridge the gap in that window of opportunity ( 2003/4 - 2007). Could be, as you said, because of decades of using legendary systems because you don't raise your standards until you taste better. But it would be inappropriate to be harsh on PAF for it had little choice.

Coming back to your first point...IMHO, the price of acquiring any sizable fleet of M2Ks would run in the billions of $$. True that national sovereignty and defense have no price cap, but today we are facing more internal threats than external ones.

I love PAF and aviation in general (hardly visit the PA and PN threads) but I am not disappointed on the way we have spent our defense money.

P.S: Just my opinions..no confrontation intended. I value highly your posts and thoughts.

Mastankhan, please dont reflect your fustration with pakistan in your posts. what you have generated in your absord post reflects nothing more then your lack of moral for PAF, your analogy of "PAF is windows 95 operator while IAF is Windows vista" is a prime example. Gripen are too advace for PAF? and yet our pilots are qualified Gripen test pilots. PAF was never interusted? AF negosiated with sweden in AEW&CS package but it was turend down due to their polocy at that time and thus we had to go with F-16 block 52+.

Agreed! "ub bolo jo mujhe kah rahay thay PAF bla blaa men behind machine lol" now Answer of above paragraph ...

what did i say about you keep :bounce: up and down?
now it just does not seem to get throgh your head, mechines dont THINK FOR THEM SELF not yet we know of and thats why we rely on humans "men behind the mechine" to get better use of the mechine!

lets see

-400 jf-17
-100 F-16
-100 J-10

vs

-230 mki
-100 mig-29
-50 m2k
-200 mrca
-150 jaguar
-300 lca

u guys might be shocked by the numbers but i'm giving highest estimates because both economies will grow very fast.

so basically 600 planes vs. 1030 planes

not a bad ratio especially if PAF is on defense

but also factor in support

Us:

-4 eyrie
-6 kj-2000
-5 E-3
-10 tankers

vs.

-6 phalcons
-20-40 tankers

PAF/PN have more because they have AEW and not AEWACS so pretty much equal there except for tankers.

Pak GDP growth is expected to be less than 1%.

lets see

-400 jf-17
-100 F-16
-100 J-10

vs

-230 mki
-100 mig-29
-50 m2k
-200 mrca
-150 jaguar
-300 lca

u guys might be shocked by the numbers but i'm giving highest estimates because both economies will grow very fast.

so basically 600 planes vs. 1030 planes

not a bad ratio especially if PAF is on defense

but also factor in support

Us:

-4 eyrie
-6 kj-2000
-5 E-3
-10 tankers

vs.

-6 phalcons
-20-40 tankers

PAF/PN have more because they have AEW and not AEWACS so pretty much equal there except for tankers.

and who told you this? its all crap stats.

I'm typing this on my iPhone so I'll make this quick and write a longer post later. I think we need to wait for the mrca winner to be announced. This will tell us the new weapons package India will recieve. The three short listed plnes should be the rafale super hornet and the eurofghter. The euro planes will come with the meteor and the hornet wil have the aim 120-d. If we are talking about air weaponry Pakistan will have nothng that can match these two missiles the Chinese bvraam is untested and will be inferior to the meteor and 120-d that's just my opinion. It will take years for Pakistan to be offered something as potent as thsese as everyone wants a piece of the Indian defense sector. Pakistan should concentrate on Sam procurement but that will still be hard as India will get the first pick in almost everything. It sucks but it all be offred to them as they hve the $$$ to buy a lot of mssiles and Sam systems.

I'm typing this on my iPhone so I'll make this quick and write a longer post later. I think we need to wait for the mrca winner to be announced. This will tell us the new weapons package India will recieve. The three short listed plnes should be the rafale super hornet and the eurofghter. The euro planes will come with the meteor and the hornet wil have the aim 120-d. If we are talking about air weaponry Pakistan will have nothng that can match these two missiles the Chinese bvraam is untested and will be inferior to the meteor and 120-d that's just my opinion. It will take years for Pakistan to be offered something as potent as thsese as everyone wants a piece of the Indian defense sector. Pakistan should concentrate on Sam procurement but that will still be hard as India will get the first pick in almost everything. It sucks but it all be offred to them as they hve the $$$ to buy a lot of mssiles and Sam systems.

i am just starting to have a sence that you seem to be a indian/american dude. no?
since you have brought up Air to air missile subject, PAF will recive 500 AMRAAM AIM-120C5, and close to 1000 MICA and SD-10 in 2-3 years. PAF officals have said that Meteor are in the cards along with South african/Brazilian Ramjet BVRAAM and chinese one for its near futre requirments.
btw Germany has recently offered us its latest subs despite the fact that india was interusted in purchasing about 6 subs but pakistan has seems to won the order and soon the deal will be singed.

As for the army, you must have read their army's refusal to take any action because of their poor inventory. We got better tanks, missiles, etc for our army.

I didn't know the Indian army (constitutionally under the control of a civilian govt) had the authority or the power to refuse an order from the civilian Govt - which IIRC never came. Wow if the armed forces had such powers wouldn't they stage a coup like the PA did in 1999 throwing out an elected govt?

and who told you this? its all crap stats.

What are the real stats then? Could you also point out your sources?

~ Moriarty

I didn't know the Indian army (constitutionally under the control of a civilian govt) had the authority or the power to refuse an order from the civilian Govt - which IIRC never came. Wow if the armed forces had such powers wouldn't they stage a coup like the PA did in 1999 throwing out an elected govt?

~ Moriarty

you might as well know that civilian govt. do not "order" their armies to fight blindly. They convene them, ask them for their preparedness and that of the enemy's, and discuss possible worst-case scenarios.

Would any sane govt. order its army to fight if the army says its ill-prepared? think again.

you might as well know that civilian govt. do not "order" their armies to fight blindly. They convene them, ask them for their preparedness and that of the enemy's, and discuss possible worst-case scenarios.

Would any sane govt. order its army to fight if the army says its ill-prepared? think again.

Oh I do know the procedures involved. The Govt does consider all the possibilities and then comes to a decision. The Indian army, unlike that of some other countries, has no say whatsoever in that decision. Under any given circumstances, when ordered into battle, the forces GO! No if's and but's!

In any case, the IA was woefully ill-prepared in '99 - what with all the crippling sanctions. But still when ordered, they shooed out the encroachers/squatters from Kargil!!

~ Moriarty

i am just starting to have a sence that you seem to be a indian/american dude. no?
My roomate is Indian im not.
My posts haven't had any Indian bias in them for the most part.
What i said about companies offereing India the lastet in everything is true. Its mainly happening because India has the money to pay for all of it.
My uncle works for boeing and he was telling me that the MRCA is huge for Boeing because not only do they want to get future contracts they need the contract especially during this huge global recession, 12 Billion+ is going to save a bunch of jobs. They were banking on the orders for the 787 to go through but a lot of companies have been cancelling orders b/c they cannot afford them anymore.
Main point: Defense companies care about money. They are not favoring india over pakistan its purely business, India can afford large weapons purchases right now. The companies have to keep going and if they don't get orders facilities shut down and people get laid off.
Also, the Brazillian/SA BVRAAM is that the T-Darter missile? Has anything emerged from that? Have prototypes been tested or is it still on the drawing boards?

Back
Top Bottom