What's new

Will English kill off India's languages?

english has no respect in india..it just has importance in terms of business...we respect our mother tongues more than any other language and this is the reason we have regional parties...

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

we have many languages..we are not as cruel as chinese to force one language on all people...each of our language has huge history and it will survive for eons to come..

US is far more heterogeneous than China, but why they are still forcing everybody to speak the bloody English? :coffee:

What do you think of America/Britain/Canada/Australia/Japan/Germany etc. who have all standardized one language as the medium of education and government?

Do you think they are "cruel" as well?

i do not know if America/Britain/Canada/Australia/Japan/Germany had 1,652 like india has or 292 languages as china...

btw countries you mentioned do have bilingual education
Bilingual education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

US is far more heterogeneous than China, but why they are still forcing everybody to speak the bloody English? :coffee:

They don't force.

There are enough Spanish medium schools in US and almost all announcements in Latino areas are in Spanish, not English.

What do you think of America/Britain/Canada/Australia/Japan/Germany etc. who have all standardized one language as the medium of education and government?

Do you think they are "cruel" as well?

I am a native Cantonese speaker, but I can clearly see that a nation should be able to communicate with itself across all regions. India does this too, but with English.

In fact, even Cantonese has many sub-dialects, i can almost understand the Cantonese sub-dialect from Guangzhou, but not those from the rural areas.

BTW, i think the Cantonese spoken in HK is the same one as the one spoken in Guangzhou.

Try to speak English in France and see the reaction. ;)

Well, language is the bearer of culture. A certain culture lives and dies with the language as we can see that certain terms and expressions are hard to translate.

I repeat only those people who are not sure of their identity will be afraid of English and try to root it out. We are confident enough in our strong culture that we don't 'fear' English unlike some of our members here.

The Scottish people once had their own language called Gaelic.

Now they all speak English.

The Welsh are soon to follow.

They don't force.

There are enough Spanish medium schools in US and almost all announcements in Latino areas are in Spanish, not English.

I don't force people to speak Mandarin either, but they will have much less opportunity to find the job. :coffee:

well we all know what america was before british went there....but after that all accepted english as their language.

I repeat only those people who are not sure of their identity will be afraid of English and try to root it out. We are confident enough in our strong culture that we don't 'fear' English unlike some of our members here.

You think the Germans, French, Italians and Spanish are not sure of their identity?

In fact, even Cantonese has many sub-dialects, i can almost understand the Cantonese sub-dialect from Guangzhou, but not those from the rural areas.

BTW, i think the Cantonese spoken in HK is the same one as the one spoken in Guangzhou.

True, and also related dialects like Taishanese as well.

Götterdämmerung;2338519 said:
Try to speak English in France and see the reaction. ;)

Well, language is the bearer of culture. A certain culture lives and dies with the language as we can see that certain terms and expressions are hard to translate.

about the subject well once i had an arument with a american guest he told me about this top hillywood heroine who in one of fer interviews said she feels more elavated when she replies in french rether than english & her creer came to a jolt so yes colonial charm is one thing and love & respedt for mother tounge is different and thats the main reasone no power can ever dissolve the power of local languages in india not even english , Thanks .

Götterdämmerung;2338537 said:
You think the Germans, French, Italians and Spanish are not sure of their identity?

You did not get the context. Read the context of the original reply.

Back
Top Bottom