What's new

Will English kill off India's languages?

In China, the language of science and commerce is all Chinese. Because Chinese has very few phonetic concepts, we were forced to create our own equivalent words for every modern technology, instead of directly take the English word like Japan did.

As I know, the only word that's a phonetic translation and not a new equivalent is radar = leida.

Everything else, from computer = jisuanji/diannao and laser = jiguang, to quantum informatics = liangzixinxixue, has a new Chinese term that's totally unrelated to the English.

That is great, just like the French. They also create new word like ordinateur for computer and logiciel for software. Unfortunately we Germans don't do that anymore due to our inferiority complex after the defeat in 2nd WW. We used to be the avantgarde of science and philosophy and everyone used German words. At least some German words in the philosophy and literature are still used in French and English like zeitgeist, götterdämmerung and weltschmerz.

It's quite astonishing to see that some Pakistani members mocking India for using English language (which is foreign language for Indians). But the same Pakistanis thumping their chest in support of Urdu (Which is originated in INDIA). :lol:

Indian culture will be killed off slowly over time. Resistance is futile. Assimilation is at hand. Wait for your master.

English will kill most languages in India , but the 22 scheduled languages will remain , at least for the next 100 years ( i hope). Even Chinese members will see that in a few decades time , the local dialects of mandarin will die down and there will be only 1-2 dialects left at best. It is unavoidable , because parents would want their children to learn english or some widely spoken chinese dialect to improve their chances of getting jobs.

Actually there are no dialects within the concept Mandarin,madarin just a local dialect which spoken by the native people of Beijing.Almost all chinese people can speak both Madarin and their local dialect.

English will kill most languages in India , but the 22 scheduled languages will remain , at least for the next 100 years ( i hope). Even Chinese members will see that in a few decades time , the local dialects of mandarin will die down and there will be only 1-2 dialects left at best. It is unavoidable , because parents would want their children to learn english or some widely spoken chinese dialect to improve their chances of getting jobs.

If you live here in my city, the best way to get a job is to be able to speak Cantonese.

Mandarin and English skills are welcome too of course, as bonuses.

Götterdämmerung;2340924 said:
That is great, just like the French. They also create new word like ordinateur for computer and logiciel for software. Unfortunately we Germans don't do that anymore due to our inferiority complex after the defeat in 2nd WW. We used to be the avantgarde of science and philosophy and everyone used German words. At least some German words in the philosophy and literature are still used in French and English like zeitgeist, götterdämmerung and weltschmerz.

It seems that French and Chinese have the same way of translating the concept of the word, rather than take the word directly.

Ordinateur as computer makes sense. Ordinating, at least in English, means to direct, and it is indeed the function of a computer to direct certain actions. In Chinese, jisuanji is JiSuan = calculation, Ji = machine. (calculators themselves are known as JiSuanQi, Qi = tool). So it makes sense.

Logiciel is a more abstract translation than the Chinese equivalent for software. We just translated software = RuanJian, Ruan=Soft, Jian=Ware.

It seems that French and Chinese have the same way of translating the concept of the word, rather than take the word directly.

Ordinateur as computer makes sense. Ordinating, at least in English, means to direct, and it is indeed the function of a computer to direct certain actions. In Chinese, jisuanji is JiSuan = calculation, Ji = machine. (calculators themselves are known as JiSuanQi, Qi = tool). So it makes sense.

Logiciel is a more abstract translation than the Chinese equivalent for software. We just translated software = RuanJian, Ruan=Soft, Jian=Ware.

We also have equivalent words for computer = Rechner, printer = Drucker. But somehow people think it's chic to use the English word. Right now there is a movement to use German words and not the anglicism.

All depends on the next generation like my parents taught me from young age my mother tongue but if i have kids and don't do the same perhaps they will lose their culture and only speak English.

Back
Top Bottom